Storage Solutions?

Lollingsgrad

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my collection has gotten big enough I'd like a decent sized, strong cabinet to store it all in. Preferably with lockable doors with additional storage in the doors. Not interested in wall hangings because I don't want to display everything for a visitor/neighbour to accidentally spot and get spooked by. A perforated tool cabinet looked like an interesting bet but veeerry expensive.

https://www.stepandstore.co.uk/shop/storage/cabinets/euro-cabinet-system/tall-euro-cabinet-system/easy-order-full-tool-back-panel-euro-cabinet/

Anyone got any good ideas for strong, space efficient, discreet storage?

Edited by Lollingsgrad

• Supporters

an interesting question, i keep meaning to look into making up some kind of rack, currently mine are all stacked in the corner of the wardrobe which is fine from keeping them away from prying eyes not so neat and tidy.

I wish I had space for a cabinet in the house but all my stuff is in various bags and boxes in the garage. 
I have dragged it ALL out today to organise and is currently taking up all of the living room floor and two sofas :D  Unfortunately it’s going back in various bags and boxes though minus a fair bit of crap I have chucked out and a whole box of spare rigs and pouches to sell.

I would be interested in seeing if you find something though, I Havant have one of my own but I appreciate a tidy storage cupboard due to my ocd tendencies 

As an idea you could do the DIY version of the tool cabinet. Find a piece of furniture you like then fit some pre drilled boards inside. The hole cab be sized for pegs, rods, whatever you like and from the outside it would just look like a normal piece of household furniture.

I did it with some mdf to hang some quads behind a door in what was the spare room, works really well.

• Supporters

If you want it in your house, a steel cabinet is not going to be discreet! In your garage, fine but that brings up a whole other raft of security issues.

I'd look at getting a cheap(ish) wardrobe that matches your decor and fitting some peg boards or mesh wall inside the back of it (take the hanging rail out).

It's going in the garage so steel is fine, I'll do DIY if I *have* to but I'm not handy and would rather get something fit for purpose. I could just about picture myself not screwing up bolting a pre-drilled board into the back of a cupboard though, will have a look for something suitable. Still interested in hearing about better prebuilt options!

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

It's going in the garage so steel is fine, I'll do DIY if I *have* to but I'm not handy and would rather get something fit for purpose. I could just about picture myself not screwing up bolting a pre-drilled board into the back of a cupboard though, will have a look for something suitable. Still interested in hearing about better prebuilt options!

Unfortunately that kind of tool storage IS just expensive.

Have a look on ebay for a secondhand workshop cabinet, get some pegboard and off you go!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Steel-Filing-Storage-Workshop-Garage-Stable-Cabinet-Cupboard/224431237990?hash=item344124eb66:g:hqYAAOSwq3pgfWvg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Garage-Tool-Cabinets/179444/bn_2326654

• Supporters

Just go to ikea and see what you fancy then mod it to purpose , what I did .

I shopped around for lockable cabinet on FB marketplace for a while and ended up with a 7 gun 'real gun' cabinet for £100. A bit over the top for what's needed really but it's big enough for me and a reasonable price for the size. Seriously heavy though. 

19 minutes ago, 38super said:

I shopped around for lockable cabinet on FB marketplace for a while and ended up with a 7 gun 'real gun' cabinet for £100. A bit over the top for what's needed really but it's big enough for me and a reasonable price for the size. Seriously heavy though. 

I had contemplated actual gun safes, still an option but by and large they're small, expensive and, yes, heavy! £100 is a bargain for a 7 capacity one though!

40 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Just go to ikea and see what you fancy then mod it to purpose , what I did .

What did you get? A lot of IKEA cupboards are unsuitable because of the paper thin backs.

Edited by Lollingsgrad

13 minutes ago, Lollingsgrad said:

I had contemplated actual gun safes, still an option but by and large they're small, expensive and, yes, heavy! £100 is a bargain for a 7 capacity one though!

I was happy to wait for a bargain as I wasn't in a hurry. I could have had a 10 gun for £150 but decided I didn't need that much space.

Like you I found the cost of storage cabinets to be surprisingly high. If my collection grows a lot more I might look at something like this in the future:-

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3913062612063139/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A311c4b8d-cd74-49f0-a8a6-bceab69f0b49

I’ve got a couple of old wardrobes that I’ve stuck in the garage and use a heavy duty rubberised chain lock to secure them, but it’s not ideal. I was looking around for old lockable lockers but couldn’t really find anything big enough at a decent price. I definitely think there’s a gap in the replica market for secure storage that one of the retailers could fill or someone with decent diy skills.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lollingsgrad said:

What did you get? A lot of IKEA cupboards are unsuitable because of the paper thin backs.

I got a kids unit in the end(can’t remember the name as it was a good few yrs ago)the doors were sold as extra’s so it could be used as either a storage unit or a wardrobe and was solid wood all sides . 

3 hours ago, 38super said:

I was happy to wait for a bargain as I wasn't in a hurry. I could have had a 10 gun for £150 but decided I didn't need that much space.

Like you I found the cost of storage cabinets to be surprisingly high. If my collection grows a lot more I might look at something like this in the future:-

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3913062612063139/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A311c4b8d-cd74-49f0-a8a6-bceab69f0b49

This sent me down an interesting rabbit hole; I checked FB and came across a guy selling a "saddle locker". Saddle/tack lockers are looking pretty damn close to what I'm after,

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/saddle-locker-adjustable-security-storage-tack-cabinet-27704710?model_id=27685599#reviews-container

Definitely tall enough but possibly not enough volume to avoid just jumbling stuff together. The various mounting points look like you could do something clever with them though.

Edited by Lollingsgrad

Thought I'd come back and say what I went for; I couldn't find anything affordable that's purpose made but I found something to fit the space I've got well,

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/filing-cabinet-with-4-shelves-black-7312915

The plan is to buy some grid mesh and use the slots for the adjustable shelves to mount them on the sides and back,

https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-metal-wire-mesh-fencing-l-0-9m-w-0-6m/257072_BQ.prd

Then I'm hoping I can find various hooks and bits for hanging and separating I can mount onto the grid mesh. Later if I decide I need it I'll drill the doors and mount pegboard to it directly.

• Supporters
On 24/04/2021 at 12:33, Lollingsgrad said:

Thought I'd come back and say what I went for; I couldn't find anything affordable that's purpose made but I found something to fit the space I've got well,

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/filing-cabinet-with-4-shelves-black-7312915

The plan is to buy some grid mesh and use the slots for the adjustable shelves to mount them on the sides and back,

https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-metal-wire-mesh-fencing-l-0-9m-w-0-6m/257072_BQ.prd

Then I'm hoping I can find various hooks and bits for hanging and separating I can mount onto the grid mesh. Later if I decide I need it I'll drill the doors and mount pegboard to it directly.

Have a look at Gridwall sections on ebay. You'll be able to more easily get hold of fittings for them and they'll be a lot sturdier than that B&Q stuff.

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

Have a look at Gridwall sections on ebay. You'll be able to more easily get hold of fittings for them and they'll be a lot sturdier than that B&Q stuff.

Ah, gridwalls....... he says in a reminiscent manner.

I haven’t touched any for over a year!

Brand new they could get pricey for a few or for the various fittings.

But keep your eyes open on local

facebooks, and eBay pickup and they can be picked up very cheaply often with selections of fittings from shops that close or redesign.

We use them for shows which expands space in gazebos and contributes to making them more substantial against the weather, and run them around the walls.  We’ve cut extra slots in some of them to align with gazebo struts 

Sometimes we put 3 together as a triangle tower, and a couple of times 4 together making a ‘table’

We don’t bother with feet as even when indoors we construct around something making a stable wall.

Feet and wheels are options, but even at home as a wall system I’d probably recommend the wall hooks.

Other grids are available but as @Lozartpoints out gridwalls are way beyond what you’ll find in most DIY shops for storage

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Ah, gridwalls....... he says in a reminiscent manner.

I haven’t touched any for over a year!

Brand new they could get pricey for a few or for the various fittings.

But keep your eyes open on local

facebooks, and eBay pickup and they can be picked up very cheaply often with selections of fittings from shops that close or redesign.

We use them for shows which expands space in gazebos and contributes to making them more substantial against the weather, and run them around the walls.  We’ve cut extra slots in some of them to align with gazebo struts 

Sometimes we put 3 together as a triangle tower, and a couple of times 4 together making a ‘table’

We don’t bother with feet as even when indoors we construct around something making a stable wall.

Feet and wheels are options, but even at home as a wall system I’d probably recommend the wall hooks.

Other grids are available but as @Lozartpoints out gridwalls are way beyond what you’ll find in most DIY shops for storage

It's what I have for my gun rack!

On 21/04/2021 at 21:55, Lollingsgrad said:

So my collection has gotten big enough I'd like a decent sized, strong cabinet to store it all in. Preferably with lockable doors with additional storage in the doors. Not interested in wall hangings because I don't want to display everything for a visitor/neighbour to accidentally spot and get spooked by. A perforated tool cabinet looked like an interesting bet but veeerry expensive.

https://www.stepandstore.co.uk/shop/storage/cabinets/euro-cabinet-system/tall-euro-cabinet-system/easy-order-full-tool-back-panel-euro-cabinet/

Anyone got any good ideas for strong, space efficient, discreet storage?

Sure do...bury them.

Most discreet storage solution ever is to go under ground, no one would know.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Sema Dragun said:

Sure do...bury them.

Most discreet storage solution ever is to go under ground, no one would know.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about putting a small inspection pit in my garage, when not in use it could double up as a great kit locker 🤔

5 hours ago, Tackle said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking about putting a small inspection pit in my garage, when not in use it could double up as a great kit locker 🤔

Great idea. :)

if you can't go underground for whatever reason, a false panel in a wall can work really well also.

I remember years ago my father built a false wall for a guy who was an antique dealer.

He had this large safe which sat behind a false wall in his office, you would never know that wall was false.

Smoke and mirrors. :)

Edited by Sema Dragun

• Supporters

While not guaranteed, check out FB marketplace, you can set saved searches, as well as other parameters such as distance.

I only started using it recently, couple of weeks ago I picked up an approved 3 gun cabinet, for a TENNER 😁, last week I picked up a large wheeled Gator flight case, RRP £349, for £25 🤣.

Some serious bargains to be had👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.