Cleaning Rod

steakandpotato
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

hmm, interesting one, i've always just gone gung ho with silicon oil right down the whole thing- hop and all

as i mentioned in the midcap magazine thread having a lubed hop does affect it for a short while, but after maybe half a mag it's back to normal.

might give alchohol a go, i'm always open to new (and cheap) ways of improving accuracy.

fortunately i'm set for cleaning rods, it'll be an interesting day when i get something that the mg cleaning rod won't go through :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Root Admin
17 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I didn't see the point in opening a new one... I've been using Isopropyl Alcohol wipes to clean my barrels, however today I have opened up the Falkor Reccee to try and figure out why it is so erratic with the hop on. At first I put it down to simply playing in minus temperatures all the time I've had it. However a few games now it has been reasonable and it's still "weird". SO time to look into it. 

I opened it and removed the hop, and found silicon grease everywhere...Cleaned it all off and the hob nub and rubber seem in ok condition. However the barrel I can't get completely clean. It's almost like there is a rough patch in it. Does anyone use any sort of pipe cleaner like brush to clean their barrels?

This is why I don't use just isopropyl wipes - they loosen up the grease but just can't adsorb much as they're reasonably saturated already. Usually I put some paper towel with the alcohol on down there first, then follow up with dry paper towel strips until they stop coming out grey. Might need to put more isopropyl down there if it's really dirty but with airsoft cleaning your barrel doesn't have to happen to often really. They're also typically a slightly diluted solution so that the wipe stays wet for longer and doesn't sting quite as much when applying as first aid.

I wouldn't recommend a pipe cleaner for that rough spot, but sometimes a poorly finished barrel can get some nasty BB residue clinging to it. The alcohol is going to be your best bet here to shift it without doing damage to finish - it might just be a case of getting more of it down there. If that doesn't happen then it could be the finish of the barrel itself (in which case you might want to consider a steel one), but whether this is affecting your accuracy enough to be noticeable is of course up to you.

Cleaning the bucking? I've never had issues with isopropyl messing them up so I'd personally recommend removing the bucking and just wiping it down (I wouldn't want a cleaning rod hitting the bucking mound and putting undue strain on it). However, many other will recommend just warm soapy water to be safe as - of course - isopropyl is a solvent and can in theory do weird things to that bucking. Again, I'd never put the cleaning rod down further than the brass/steel/aluminium - don't push it past/over the bucking.

In short: Consider a bottle of 100% isopropyl and some kitchen towel - it should make life easier. As for the barrel: It might already have 'had it' (again, pretty subjective if it's not affecting accuracy), but you could be lucky.

7 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Have any of you ever used Abbey degreasing spray?

How often is it advisable to remove the barrel and hop up to clean the barrel.

Isopropyl alcohol is good stuff and evaporates quickly leaving no grease behind. Best thing I've ever used for cleaning out airgun cylinders.

I just wonder though: if it came into contact with the hop up rubber would it do any damage?

Depends how often you play, where you play and sometimes the BBs you use too. Usually I do mine once every 3 games or so, but others swear by doing it a loss less frequently.

The isopropyl touching the bucking isn't - in my experience - anything to fret about, but abrasion from a cleaning rod is, so keep it away.

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

hmm, interesting one, i've always just gone gung ho with silicon oil right down the whole thing- hop and all

as i mentioned in the midcap magazine thread having a lubed hop does affect it for a short while, but after maybe half a mag it's back to normal.

might give alchohol a go, i'm always open to new (and cheap) ways of improving accuracy.

fortunately i'm set for cleaning rods, it'll be an interesting day when i get something that the mg cleaning rod won't go through :P

Yeh, don't get oil on your hop up bucking - this is the best way to make it less useful and inconsistent.

This might help you all

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Yeh, don't get oil on your hop up bucking - this is the best way to make it less useful and inconsistent.

well i've just dissasembled the m4 and given it a right good cleaning, will see if it makes an improvement and if it does then it'll be my new method.

tbh running .2's in everything i've not had much bother getting enough hop, normally it's a little side drift which can be compensated for by adjusting the sight.

atm my best shooting gun in terms of mechanical grouping ironically is the mg, at least since i tightened the hob rail so it doesn't un-hop itself after a few shots.

Thanks for the advice.

56 minutes ago, proffrink said:

This is why I don't use just isopropyl wipes - they loosen up the grease but just can't adsorb much as they're reasonably saturated already. Usually I put some paper towel with the alcohol on down there first, then follow up with dry paper towel strips until they stop coming out grey. Might need to put more isopropyl down there if it's really dirty but with airsoft cleaning your barrel doesn't have to happen to often really. They're also typically a slightly diluted solution so that the wipe stays wet for longer and doesn't sting quite as much when applying as first aid.

I wouldn't recommend a pipe cleaner for that rough spot, but sometimes a poorly finished barrel can get some nasty BB residue clinging to it. The alcohol is going to be your best bet here to shift it without doing damage to finish - it might just be a case of getting more of it down there. If that doesn't happen then it could be the finish of the barrel itself (in which case you might want to consider a steel one), but whether this is affecting your accuracy enough to be noticeable is of course up to you.

Cleaning the bucking? I've never had issues with isopropyl messing them up so I'd personally recommend removing the bucking and just wiping it down (I wouldn't want a cleaning rod hitting the bucking mound and putting undue strain on it). However, many other will recommend just warm soapy water to be safe as - of course - isopropyl is a solvent and can in theory do weird things to that bucking. Again, I'd never put the cleaning rod down further than the brass/steel/aluminium - don't push it past/over the bucking.

In short: Consider a bottle of 100% isopropyl and some kitchen towel - it should make life easier. As for the barrel: It might already have 'had it' (again, pretty subjective if it's not affecting accuracy), but you could be lucky.

Depends how often you play, where you play and sometimes the BBs you use too. Usually I do mine once every 3 games or so, but others swear by doing it a loss less frequently.

The isopropyl touching the bucking isn't - in my experience - anything to fret about, but abrasion from a cleaning rod is, so keep it away.

This might help you all

Thanks for the advice.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

42 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh running .2's in everything i've not had much bother getting enough hop, normally it's a little side drift which can be compensated for by adjusting the sight.

You are not a big fan of accuracy. :D

1 hour ago, proffrink said:

Cheers for the advice, I'll pick up a bottle of it then and try that. The gun was just new in January, so I'm hoping the barrel isn't done for, but can't help but feel it might have a flaw in it :wacko: Tried taking a picture, but it's next to impossible to get it in focus right. 

Edit: I am assuming the barrel I have is steel, as it is silver/mirror in colour. Any dis/advantages between steel and brass?

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Samurai said:

You are not a big fan of accuracy. :D

in ni we're limited to 1j, so range tends to be the first order of business followed by accuracy as the engagement distances are short enough you can get away with it. 

the most accurate my m4 has ever been was when i finally replaced the badly worn out gearbox it came with and the one i'd bought had a 2j spring in it, needless to say once i found out i was dissapointed as i was enjoying being able to take the hpa crowd on head to head :D

• Supporters
17 hours ago, proffrink said:

I wouldn't want a cleaning rod hitting the bucking mound and putting undue strain on it

Socrates' soft paper wrapped cleaning rod fits snugly down his barrel.

Socrates' hard plastic BBs fit even more snugly down his barrel, and every one passes through the bucking.

Is it reasonable for Socrates to be concerned about the rod damaging the bucking?

11 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Socrates' soft paper wrapped cleaning rod fits snugly down his barrel.

Socrates' hard plastic BBs fit even more snugly down his barrel, and every one passes through the bucking.

Is it reasonable for Socrates to be concerned about the rod damaging the bucking?

The fuck have you been smoking Roger?

• Supporters

Rolling high with my philosophy posse.

Slightly less cryptically: if shoving a BB though the bucking isn't going to damage it, should you be worried about a narrower cleaning rod?

People say you shouldn't wipe from back to front, but FWIW, I go in from the back first, gently, with just a dab of isopropanol, then switch to reaming out the front with a larger, wetter wad.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Rolling high with my philosophy posse.

Slightly less cryptically: if shoving a BB though the bucking isn't going to damage it, should you be worried about a narrower cleaning rod?

People say you shouldn't wipe from back to front, but FWIW, I go in from the back first, gently, with just a dab of isopropanol, then switch to reaming out the front with a larger, wetter wad.

Are you still talking about rods and barrels?

It’s unlikely that you would damage it pushing through the hop, but it does put far more pressure on it than a B.B. ever will, despite being narrower. What you may do is rotate that rubber slightly and have your shots arch off in one direction. 

My general rule of barrel cleaning is in from the muzzle end, especially on the first few pass throughs. It would be a bad idea to gather potentially months worth of oil and residue up and then drag it across the part of your gun that gives you range and accuracy. 

I use an airsoft enginuity cleaning rod with an angled cotton bud holder end. Soak in isopropyl and run it down the barrel whilst twisting. Repeat until cotton bud is clean. Then using a normal cleaning rod and a try piece of tissue paper wrapped tightly, do a final pass through. If it comes out clean you’re done. 

If removing the inner is easy, washing the hop in hot, soapy water is a good idea, just make sure all of the soap is off it and dry before reassembling. 

If it’s an AEG you can leave barrel cleaning to every 5 or so games. If it’s a GBB id recommend a quick pass though with a dry swab after every game and a thorough one every 5. 

I am stupidly happy that after a good hour of soaking and twisting stuff in the barrel, it now has no icky black crap in it and is smooth and shiny as it should be :D

I did start looking at replacement barrels, but turns out that it's an unusual size. So very happy I don't need to source a replacement!

I just use brake cleaner, splash some down the barrel and on a patch of microfibre cloth, then spin away (use a drill to spin as it'll hurt the wrist after a while).

Even when dry you can still run water down it and dry with a cloth again after to remove anything but you shouldn't need to.

I've tried googling to find a cleaning rod, but most sites I tried seem to be out of stock.

Any views on this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/rifle-cleaning-Luftgewehr-Reinigung-Instandhaltung/dp/B078X97JS4/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1523137729&sr=1-5&keywords=airsoft+cleaning

Cheers

G

• Supporters

I did get a .22 cleaning rod and a patch attatchment, never use it though as it has a habit of leaving patches in the barrel.

It was a fun conversation trying to explain what i wanted in the shop

"Just think of it like a .22 muzzle loader"

"No i dont want a wire brush"

"Yes i know a wire brush has been used for hundreds of years to clean a gun barrel but this barrel is made of brass"

Never again...

:D . Still learning.  Yesterday I didin't even know you had to clean the barrel

• Root Admin
13 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Can not believe there are two pages discussing how to clean a metal tube.

Clean crap out put back in gun go play simples...

'Clean crap out put back' is how people end up dumping a bottle of silicone down the barrel followed up by a wire brush.

13 hours ago, MisterG said:

:D . Still learning.  Yesterday I didin't even know you had to clean the barrel

Many don't bother for a long time. Frankly you can get away with it until you get a jam or notice fliers/general inaccuracy. Problem is that by the time you realise that it's usually too late to do anything about unless you feel like disassembling a gun in the safe zone.

Certainly pistols tend to get overcleaned by some. They're barely shot and don't get anywhere near dirt so ye.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, proffrink said:

'Clean crap out put back' is how people end up dumping a bottle of silicone down the barrel followed up by a wire brush.

That is because people in general are morons and if they do this it is on them for being stupid. 

You can't teach evolution.

Edit: Before someone comments yes you can teach about how evolution occurs but not teach someone to actually evolve. Just clarifying because "airsofters"

Archived