Usefulness of Magnified Optics

Sappysid101

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I was thinking of grabbing a 4x32 Acog for my m4 / Scar, and I've used a Susat with my L85. Basically my L85 didn't have the best range and due to being stock it wasn't overly good with the scope, (not bad, but not great). I was thinking since my other two guns are far better I'm thinking I can benefit from an Acog.

My question to you guys, are optics worth it? Are aeg's consistent enough to benefit from the magnification (and by extension being 'zeroed in') or due you guys/girls use them as a method to follow the stream at range?

- Ant

I would suggest that unless you have a DMR or sniper, magnified sights are pointless. You are just limiting your field of view. Red dot sights are good for CQB but anywhere else, ironsights are the best bet (subject to how good they are on your gun).

have tried magnified sights, only one that was any good was on my sniper.... all the others even on my DMR were a hindrance rather than a help. Red dot sights ftw

Have a magnified optic on my SVD, it's a replica of the PSO--1 sight, since that is basically a DMR, so optics make some sense.

But I don't use any optics on any of my assault weapons, just the iron sights, and in fact I don't even flip up the front sight on my M4 SIR, I just line the rear sight pipper up with the gap where the front sight is folded down and generally pop three shots on semi in the area that gap shows. I find that is quick and doesn't screw with your peripheral vision, and you get used to seeing where the rounds fall at various ranges with that method. Not saying a red dot is no use, but I like to know what is going on around me, because I tend to use my assault rifles in the true sense of what an assault rifle was developed for, as in fire and move tactics, aka, keeping people's heads down and advancing on them and trying to flank them with my team mates. Nine times out of ten, I've found that if you push up on people who are dug in in one spot and keep the pressure up, it makes for more fun and stops things bogging down into a stalemate. Yes your squad do take some hits sometimes, but you usually end up taking the position you are trying to take. In that kind of fight, an optic would probably be a disadvantage.

• Supporters

Yeah, I had an Elcan 3.4x on my AK-74 and it was useful, but it was also high and not flip-to-side, so it did limit my peripheral vision - it's no longer on there :lol: but using her with a 25mm diameter red dot with both eyes open has been very good for fast target acquisition - although I do need to practice because although i know that is zeroed for L<>R and elevation at 35m, i still tend to watch the BB's trajectories as I fire rather than trusting the sight...

I'm planning a tacticool RPK at some point, set up as a semi-auto only DMR, and I expect the Elcan will go on that.

Had a 3x magnifier for my EOTech. It's in the bottom of my kit bag somewhere...

Same here. Used to run a flip to side with my EOTech and its been taken off and forgotten about....its just part of my wallhanger now :/

• Supporters

Guess i am going to go against the grain then :lol:B)

i have one of these >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321355961726?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT on both my G&G CM16, and my G&G L85

i love it, great for spotting enemy of ID'ing friends etc, if you have a good gun, and you zero the scope you *can* snipe with it (but don't expect it to be 100% ).

it all depends what you are used too, for instance i used to have an air rifle, and did some range target shooting, and thus the thought of not having a magnified sight on my rifles was very very odd to me. That said my CYMA AK has a 556 sight on it :lol:

• Supporters

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're useless... But I definitely use the red dot on top of my ACOG significantly more than the ACOG itself.

For me reflex/dot sights are the way to go. They're illuminated, so you can still aim in low light, which trumps iron sights.
They also trump irons because you only have to line up the dot with your target, you don't have to line up two things with your target.

I would say that zoom optics are good for spotting more than anything else. Is that thing over there a tree stump, or a prone guy's painted face? They're also good for walking your team mate's shots on target at range. Up a bit, bit more, bit more... Got him. They don't work with your own shots because you're directly behind them, your angle is insufficient to actually follow their trajectory properly. But if you're just to the side of someone, they're pretty effective;

So spotting,
Or a red dot.

My magnifier only comes out when the cameras do - so not often haha.

Even on my sniper rifle I only use a low magnification scope (2.5x) since anything else is a bit excessive for Airsoft - but that's just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I'm somewhat short sighted, always found an ACOG extremely useful in woodland games; literally couldn't identify friend from foe otherwise. For the longer shots I aim with the optic, closer up you can point-shoot easily enough with a quick burst or few shots in semi.

Only way to really know if you like the characteristics of a magnified optic is to try one out. Within a skirmish or two you'll know whether it's for you or not.

I use my flip to side aimpoint for what was mentioned above by many people

Zeroing in on the enemy and helping team mates out otherwise its flipped to the side and I just use my normal red dot

I found quick acquisition with scope is hard specially if your under fire from an enemy, you'd be hit long before you hit them

I'm somewhat short sighted, always found an ACOG extremely useful in woodland games; literally couldn't identify friend from foe otherwise. For the longer shots I aim with the optic, closer up you can point-shoot easily enough with a quick burst or few shots in semi.

Only way to really know if you like the characteristics of a magnified optic is to try one out. Within a skirmish or two you'll know whether it's for you or not.

I'm gonna pick up a cheap 4x32 acog from ebay anyway. Even if I just follow the stream it'll make the gun look better :)

Cheers for all the replies guys.

- Ant

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.