The Scale Models/War gaming discussion and pictures thread.

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just done be sucked into buying GW tools :P there overpriced and not always what there cracked up to be.

The new GW tools are BEAUTIFUL.

Well, the clippers are. They honestly have outdone themselves with those. Everything else is pretty much the same as you'd expect, the clippers though are REALLY good at not sending bits flying, most hobby clippers I've used tend to want to play aggressive hide and seek with small items that have excellent projectile properties when clipped from sprues.

To be fair though, when I first started doing GW minis, I went to superdrug and got a nail-care kit - containing mini-scissors, nail clippers and a couple of files.

Aside from when I'm out at a GW store or my local club, I never use any 'real' tools, I mostly either use the bits from superdrug (which not only enable me to remove and tidy up my model parts, but also allow me to do my nails at the same time in order to be one fabulous motherf**ker) or random bits I find in my toolbox.

The reason I stuck with the nail clippers? They curve in on themselves slightly where the blades meet, meaning you end up with the tiniest remnant of sprue on your parts which is then easily filed down. I've tried hobby knives and because I'm a northern-monkey with hands the size of the average dinner plate, I tend to either gouge chunks out of stuff or end up with cuts/slices in models - easy to fix, easier if avoided in the first place.

Gonna get some more photos of my minis tomorrow I think...

The new GW tools are BEAUTIFUL.

Well, the clippers are. They honestly have outdone themselves with those. Everything else is pretty much the same as you'd expect, the clippers though are REALLY good at not sending bits flying, most hobby clippers I've used tend to want to play aggressive hide and seek with small items that have excellent projectile properties when clipped from sprues.

To be fair though, when I first started doing GW minis, I went to superdrug and got a nail-care kit - containing mini-scissors, nail clippers and a couple of files.

Aside from when I'm out at a GW store or my local club, I never use any 'real' tools, I mostly either use the bits from superdrug (which not only enable me to remove and tidy up my model parts, but also allow me to do my nails at the same time in order to be one fabulous motherf**ker) or random bits I find in my toolbox.

The reason I stuck with the nail clippers? They curve in on themselves slightly where the blades meet, meaning you end up with the tiniest remnant of sprue on your parts which is then easily filed down. I've tried hobby knives and because I'm a northern-monkey with hands the size of the average dinner plate, I tend to either gouge chunks out of stuff or end up with cuts/slices in models - easy to fix, easier if avoided in the first place.

Gonna get some more photos of my minis tomorrow I think...

Where can you get those online?

Or are they from this shop?

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40399-GWModels

Thanks.

• Supporters

So I dug my camera out and had a good dig through my display cabinet this morning for some decent models to show off.

The good news is I found a couple.

The bad news is my camera was running out of battery so I've not even got photos of a fifth of the collection.

The worse news is that my camera, despite being a top-of-the-range D-SLR when purchased, how transfigured into a potato and the off-camera flashgun has broken - what this means is that the on-camera flash has exposed EXACTLY how awful my painting is, though I will say that at least everything does look a LOT better in the flesh which is good.

The traumatisingly awful news, is that this is going to be REALLY heavy for anyone on mobile.

First up I've got GW Skaven:

-Couple of shots of the paint scheme for my clanrats. I only do these guys quickly so rather than them looking uniform have been varying the color of the cloth they're wearing to break up the units without having to REALLY focus any attention on every model, the brown-cloth is for slaves:

DSC_3724_zpsdc38e0f5.jpg

DSC_3725_zps2ab14248.jpg

-Packmaster & his ogres:

DSC_3731_zpsf63ec0e6.jpg

-Packmaster on his own:

DSC_3734_zps8b6619b2.jpg

-The bossman, Ikit Claw (IMHO, coolest small character in WHFB):

DSC_3729_zps5b3c8dd5.jpg

-Warplock Engineer:

DSC_3730_zpsfe65a7ff.jpg

-Doomwheel based:

DSC_3727_zpse8b0c94b.jpg

-And finally the Warpfire Thrower:

DSC_3735_zpsd761c0f9.jpg

• Supporters

Next up I've got the GW-addicts staple, Space Marines, pretty much everyone I know who has ever been into GW has used them, I never got sick of their all-round winability and stuck it out. Besides, mine are Black Templars so they're better anyway, all the other chapters are sissies and heretics.

-Couple of photos of my Sternguard, the middle guy changing his mag is a mashup of kits, but the actual mag change I had to put together myself:

DSC_3763_zps8e949651.jpg

DSC_3764_zps1ad61239.jpg

DSC_3765_zps5bc2615f.jpg

-Vindicator, probably the most awesome looking tank in the game:

DSC_3771_zpsf1b3076a.jpg

-Terminator Chaplain:

DSC_3753_zpsc8149a3b.jpg

-Jump Chaplain:

DSC_3756_zps751d23c2.jpg

-Tech Marine & Servitor (The CAT objective marker from the previous release of Spacehulk - too cool to not use for something):

DSC_3750_zpsfcb34852.jpg

-Assault Terminators & Marshall/Chapter Master in Terminator Armour, made from several kits:

DSC_3757_zps38c27e0d.jpg

DSC_3758_zps6ae44a54.jpg

DSC_3759_zps8c999f04.jpg

DSC_3760_zps3b153eb0.jpg

-One of the limited edition captains released this year:

DSC_3762_zpsb992c9f3.jpg

-The other limited edition captain:

DSC_3761_zps2ee5cdc0.jpg

Couple of random GW heroes, both dusty due to being on a shelf rather than in my display cabinet for a while:

-Assault On Black Reach Warboss:

DSC_3736_zpsf25e705b.jpg

-Illuminor Szeras:

DSC_3737_zpsc6d979ad.jpg

• Supporters

Dystopian Wars minis, great game, naval focused, easy to play, probably the most fun tabletop game I've played so far. Game is set in an alternate-history Victorian-era steampunk universe. I play the Federated States of America:

-Enterprise Class Dreadnaught:

DSC_3741_zps629e7202.jpg

-A17 Bomber:

DSC_3739_zps0e2101d1.jpg

-Guildford Class Destroyer:

DSC_3745_zpsc26fe1f3.jpg

-Lexington Class Cruisers:

DSC_3744_zps4c2a0304.jpg

-August Class Frigates:

DSC_3743_zpsfc6daf00.jpg

-Independence Class Battleship:

DSC_3746_zpsbdc25116.jpg

-Tiny Fliers (terrifyingly destructive little f**kers):

DSC_3748_zps9e15b76a.jpg

• Supporters

Where can you get those online?

Or are they from this shop?

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40399-GWModels

Thanks.

You can get them online from Games Workshop direct:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Painting-Modelling?N=102299+4294966562Ν=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl

If you can get to a GW store, they'll have a set they can show you/demonstrate for you!

• Supporters

Wow! You've got a hella lot a skills with models and paints! A real dab hand! Those look great!

:D:wub:

Thanks!

It's much appreciated!

I must say though, my painting isn't particularly skillful, I've mostly just spent a bit of time figuring out what works for me.

I haven't got the patience or skill to do things like proper highlighting and blending so I stay away from them, what I can do, is put some basic colors on and use ink washes to make up for my laziness!

Honestly, if you take an unwashed model, it'll look like a three year old mauled it with a paint brush made of duplo, wash it in brown or black and it'll look halfway to pro-painted.

Next time I do any painting I'll either do a before/after of washing, or a step-by-step how I end up where they are now.

There's one more photo I forgot to get of my Knight titan that I'll try get up soon! I'll also get some of my Star Wars X-Wing fleet.

• Supporters

I too have in the past dabbled with painting space marines! (from the age of about 11 WH40k 2nd edition!) through til late early 2013 when I kinda lost interest with the release of 6th edition and the stupid sh*t that came along with it!

Have sold almost all my stuff now, with the exception of my Red Scorpions (spent too much time on some of them to part with them for less than an incredible amount of money), still got a few photos though :)

gallery_43855_3514_104398.jpg

My old Black Templars Marshal, was really proud of this guy at the time :-)

gallery_43855_6738_22284.jpg
A Deathwatch guy I did for a painting competition on the Bolter and Chainsword forum (didn't win).

gallery_43855_5376_7849.jpg

Magister Sevrin Loth, this is the model that started me painting Red Scorpions and to date the model I'm proudest of.

gallery_43855_5376_30628.jpg

Red Scorpions captain.

gallery_43855_7041_243308.jpg

gallery_43855_7041_86933.jpg

Painted a small Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard army a couple of years back, never got to play with them. Made £300 on ebay for them though!

• Supporters

Shitting hell.

I'm thinking of picking up some basic models of tanks or something just to have something other to do during the 1-2 weeks where I can't go to skirmishes or milsims.

I have experience with Gundam Models,built a Real Grade Exia and a 1/100 Tieren ground type. Sold them off to fund the VSR- I've since sort of lost interest for Gunpla and want to move onto Realistic military stuff. Thing is I have no idea what brands and have a bad concept of what scale would be for them.

Things I'm interested in Particular is the T84 or T84 Oplot-M with it's strange western/soviet style turret- Soviet tanks in general are fine,though modernized ones would be preferred,like a PT-91 Twardy or even a T72M2 Moderna.Obscure things like the MBT-70 would be cool too. I'm pretty sure I saw A T84 and a Pt91 in a shop once.

So my Question are:

Are there any brands known for good or bad quality stuff?

What scale would be best for mid range detail,lower price and not many tiny little parts that get lost all the time? I remember working on a 1/35 Ural 4320 model that was an Absolute PITA due to the amount of tiny parts which were impossible to glue on without covering them in the stuff or not being able to get placement without an hour with tweezers.

I'm thinking of picking up some basic models of tanks or something just to have something other to do during the 1-2 weeks where I can't go to skirmishes or milsims.

I have experience with Gundam Models,built a Real Grade Exia and a 1/100 Tieren ground type. Sold them off to fund the VSR- I've since sort of lost interest for Gunpla and want to move onto Realistic military stuff. Thing is I have no idea what brands and have a bad concept of what scale would be for them.

Things I'm interested in Particular is the T84 or T84 Oplot-M with it's strange western/soviet style turret- Soviet tanks in general are fine. I'm pretty sure I saw A T84 in a shop once.

So my Question are:

Are there any brands known for good or bad quality stuff?

What scale would be best for mid range detail,lower price and not many tiny little parts that get lost all the time? I remember working on a 1/35 Ural 4320 model that was an Absolute PITA due to the amount of tiny parts which were impossible to glue on without covering them in the stuff or not being able to get placement without an hour with tweezers.

I've built a couple of 1/48 Tamiya kits in the past and they went together quite easily. No crazy complex details to assemble either.

General rule of thumb is to avoid airfix then you will be alright with most of the brands you can pick up on the high street.

Yeah,I have very good experience with Tamiya. I especially love their paint marker which is great for adding chipped paint wear- Coupled with panel line accent color,a little bit of dry brushing and it gives some very convincing worn effects- The Tieren especially looked great, Exia with wear also looked nice,I much prefer it over the shiney-perfect-condition-after-slaughtering-half-an-army look most gundams have

Oh dear, I've just started a Lord of the Rings buying spree on ebay :/

So far a box of Mordor Orcs and a sprue of Men of Minis Tirith. I really need to find a troll though...

Update:

Just got most of the fellowship for a steal, still no troll though :(

Those soldiers look only marginally better than the green army-men you used to get as kids toys!

Now that's not true 'cuz there airfix.......

Perhaps it is :(

Lol

Gaugemaster are worth a look (in Arundel, West Sussex, but they offer free postage over £15 iirc). They are mainly model railways but do a massive array (claim to be biggest retailer in UK) of scenic stuff and the superb Preiser military HO scale figures, as well as other military kits, paints etc. Always had great service from them, been around for donkeys years. Their website is easy to use and massive.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.