The Scale Models/War gaming discussion and pictures thread.

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Been watching various youtube vids regarding water in dioramas. Quite fancy giving it a go. Maybe have the Matilda fording a small river?

• Supporters

Bit of a bugger but for me to start my diorama making hobby, my Mum says she wants me to buy the:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-172-wwi-western-front-gift-set/

Just to make sure I enjoy it. But, my dad kinda likes Airfix so I'm hoping to get him a bit interested :D

So its a start!!

My money box named "Airsoft funds" has been changed to "Airsoft funds plus a quarter of Airfix funds" lol...

Anyone used that site??

Dammit. I've just found their "Sci-Fi" section. How the hell am I supposed to save to go on holiday now?

Been watching various youtube vids regarding water in dioramas. Quite fancy giving it a go. Maybe have the Matilda fording a small river?

I'm working on a model of Legolas atm, i've done the base already and there is a bit of a water feature to it. Its interesting stuff to use, just takes a bit of planning to work out how to get the results you want.

I'm working on a model of Legolas atm, i've done the base already and there is a bit of a water feature to it. Its interesting stuff to use, just takes a bit of planning to work out how to get the results you want.

Lol, I tried this once:

Cut a bit off my old regatta (waterproof bit) but it in a shell hole and put some tap water in!

Lol...

Bit of a bugger but for me to start my diorama making hobby, my Mum says she wants me to buy the:

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-172-wwi-western-front-gift-set/

Just to make sure I enjoy it. But, my dad kinda likes Airfix so I'm hoping to get him a bit interested :D

So its a start!!

My money box named "Airsoft funds" has been changed to "Airsoft funds plus a quarter of Airfix funds" lol...

Anyone used that site??

Just bought this set mate from a store in a shopping centre.

I paid £25 and I must say I don't think Airfix is at all worth the money, will be sticking to other brands from now on.

There's beyond excessive flashing on near all of the infantry, some don't even have faces where its been covered by flash. one german rifle isn't even a rifle its a curly point missing much of the middle section.

I've no complaints RE the tanks, as usual the quality on their vehicles is okay; However I expected more from the trenches, they're going to require a lot of work to make them look remotely like they do on the box.

I'd return it but I can't be bothered going back to the store so I'm going to have to spend a few hours with a craft knife trying to salvage the mess that is the soldiers.

Just bought this set mate from a store in a shopping centre.

I paid £25 and I must say I don't think Airfix is at all worth the money, will be sticking to other brands from now on.

There's beyond excessive flashing on near all of the infantry, some don't even have faces where its been covered by flash. one german rifle isn't even a rifle its a curly point missing much of the middle section.

I've no complaints RE the tanks, as usual the quality on their vehicles is okay; However I expected more from the trenches, they're going to require a lot of work to make them look remotely like they do on the box.

I'd return it but I can't be bothered going back to the store so I'm going to have to spend a few hours with a craft knife trying to salvage the mess that is the soldiers.

So much for a "slow but easier starter" lol. Is it really that bad lol?

So much for a "slow but easier starter" lol. Is it really that bad lol?

It's really just a big mess to be honest, I expected more from Airfix, but I'm guessing now they just churn out mass produced crap.

For the trenches I'll need to purchase static grass etc to dress the scene. I would strongly reccommend against buying it mate, you could get a good few decent models for the same price if not cheaper.

I'm still in two minds whether to take it back, just hate the train journey.

• Supporters

It's really just a big mess to be honest, I expected more from Airfix, but I'm guessing now they just churn out mass produced crap.

For the trenches I'll need to purchase static grass etc to dress the scene. I would strongly reccommend against buying it mate, you could get a good few decent models for the same price if not cheaper.

I'm still in two minds whether to take it back, just hate the train journey.

Not sure if they still do it, but it used to be the case that if you have damaged or missing parts you could send them the damaged parts with the barcode from the box and they will replace them for free.

Cheers, hope you had a great time, I've heard about Camden market.

As requested,

Opening the box you are greeted with this. I believe the infantry would have benefited from a being in a square sprue as per Italeri minatures because pretty much anything that could become bent, has done:

photo110_zpsbaaef380.jpg

The German infantry, which seems to have the most problems :

photo210_zpsc44d3a1c.jpg

photo311_zps322659bc.jpg

photo47_zps9cb324aa.jpg

photo55_zps303cc886.jpg

photo111_zpsfde6cb5f.jpg

photo211_zps4851c808.jpg

photo312_zps5b084d30.jpg

The British Infantry who aren't as bad, but their rifles leave a lot to be desired:

photo48_zps119363e8.jpg

photo56_zpsaa85985d.jpg

The Terrain, which is two identical hollow shells. You cut away the flash on the inside and glue them together to make one piece :

photo54_zps5f96c586.jpg

The Tanks, which I have no complaints about:

photo29_zps49f1f946.jpg

photo19_zps8f604be8.jpg

Tank Painting instructions (note there are absoulutely none for the terrain or infantry which I found dissapointing) :

photo46_zps656dab77.jpg

Paint kit (the instructional booklet advises additional paints for detail):

photo310_zpsf816cbe9.jpg

Agreed mate, I honestly expected a lot more, don't know if it was just me or what lol, but its definately getting taken back.

I don't know if this was just me either, or the way it was pitched to me, but I expected the trenches to be "ready" as in the right colour or something for you to just do your models then arrange them in it?

• Supporters

I'm not surprised they're blanks, but to provide those trenches, without even having textures or anything on the mud and those crappy paints etc, and to bill it as an all-in-one starter set for beginners, is a total lie.

As a starter set, you'd really need to be able to just go at it with the contents of the box and get results worth at least a 5/10.

For me to get what I'd count as 5/10 out of that, I'd need to:

-Wash everything to get rid of any residue from the molding process.

-Cut off all the flash.

-Rework some of the models because they look like bears have molested them.

-Apply some random sanding to the trench mud to ensure the paint bonds properly.

-Prime the whole thing in black.

-Paint everything using far superior paints to what is likely provided, including textured paint for the mud.

-Use ink washes to make it look like it was worth the effort.

Then, and only then, might the set be worth it. Maybe I'm a bit fussy, but I can't imagine any other way to make that look decent!

http://www.instructables.com/id/WWI-Trench-Model/?ALLSTEPS

Seems good, bugger that you need a glue gun, but dad regularly goes to screw fix and they have them cheap so....

Anyway, it seems to work I've messages the guy but I'm not that sure he does it anymore....

And so, time to start a separate money box funds, named (originally) "Airfix/diorama funds."

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.