AK picture thread! :)

two_zero

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Yeah, show us Samurai!

Theoretically, an AK47 mag can fit in an AK74, but of course would not chamber the round, whereas an AK74 mag won't fit into an AK47 because the 74 magazine has a little bit up on the top of it specifically to prevent it seating in an AK47, because an AK74 round would chamber into an AK47, so they added that feature to prevent it from being done by accident. But that's in the world of the real weapons. In Stalker, it's probably just a visual error by a 3D modelling artist who thinks all AKs are cross compatible in the same way that a lot of people think that Krinkov is some kind of official designation as opposed to the truth of it being a nickname of dubious origins supposedly deriving from the Afghan war if you believe the story about it.

Of course with airsoft guns it makes no difference because the calibre is always 6mm (except on those weird and rare 8mm calibre airsoft guns). So I'm guessing it probably would fit, but having said that, of all the airsoft AKs I've got, I know that some of them have magazines which, whilst they do fit into other AKs, don't feed the BBs too well. I should imagine most airsoft AKs of the same brand would play ball, but I wouldn't put money on it working across different manufacturers, and of course it's worth noting that some airsoft guns are branded under one name, but actually made by other companies, so the brand itself is no guarantee of commonality. I'd try it with someone else's gun at a skirmish rather than spending money on it and finding out that it doesn't the hard way. That said, mags are fairly easy to modify and with AKs, they all tend to lock in via the same mechanism, so providing the feed hole lines up correctly, I bet you could get most of them to work, and even if it didn't, you could indulge in a little surgery and make it so.

• Supporters

In stalker, the krink has a 7.62 mag...would one fit in a CYMA 045?

As long as you get a CYMA AK47 mag it should fit fine. There's no difference in the airsoft mags and the way they fit into the gun.

In future, could such posts please be kept to relevant threads?

No hard feelings, just to prevent a picture thread to get clogged with text posts not related to the pictures.

Much appreciated :)

tz

Been working on my SRC AKS-74U GBBR, added a real steel Vector Rail, PTS AFG and Noveske Soundhog, all sourced from Dedsec on here. Plus a reflex type holo sight I already had.

Fitting the rail was not straightforward as it is a fraction longer than the original handguards and also needed a new narrower gas tube fabricating from various pieces of brass tube, this was a pain to get right but still be large enough to allow the gas piston to move freely inside. Moving the Front sight/gas block forward about 7mm on the barrel solved the length issue thankfully. After all the work it works fine and I'm really pleased with the outcome.

So apologies to those who like their AK's to have wood furniture, but my 2 AEG's do have wood furniture if that helps lol!

post-8821-0-71307200-1420225975_thumb.jpgpost-8821-0-32625500-1420226032_thumb.jpg

Mixed feelings time!!

My take on the TF2 flamethrower. not quite ready yet, gotta swap the can (was thinking Heinz, but found a tin with a rainbow on it, think that more accurate to the pyro), replace the fuelpipe, make a mag from a bigger tin, maybe replace the igniter aswell. and make a steel lower handguard.

rbfmmg.jpg

212am45.jpg

s4or3r.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Snowing outside, but my SRC GBB AKS74U just managed thirty shots out of its 45 round mag on WE green gas, quite impressed. GBB MP5K managed all fifty out of its mag, which frankly might be the work of the devil considering the relative mag sizes. Both on .25s too.

Have you had a chance to chrono your 74 Chock? Mine was putting out upward of 400fps on green gas/propane with 0.2s but got it down to sub 350 now (indoors at 20 deg), by fitting thin plasticard spacers to the rear of the blowback valve where it sits against the cross pin which keeps it place, so less gas goes to the bb and more to the blowback unit (I want to use propane where possible for cost reasons, maybe with 144a if we get a hot day!) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Morena with a new sight:

IMAG0473.jpg

IMAG0474.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my humble offering, its all ready for tomorrows game...but ive had a throat infection so bad i was in bed with fever for 3 days straight and don't really wanna risk going incase I aggravate it again. Nothing special but for those that read and saw the pics of it in the src ak47 thread, I think shes alot better now haha!post-10708-0-48958700-1424556760_thumb.jpg

Ian, what optic you running pal? My ak needs some form of rds as the standard irons are now nigh on impossible to see properly thanks to the tactical rail, and hell, if u have a rail may as well use the bugger. Anyone know of a cheapy off fleabay I could get away with?

• Supporters

That's a Kobra clone above - they are not easy to find. I got that 1 from dualdealshop on fleabay, but they don't have them in stock anymore. KH_Mountain used to have them too, but i think they are OOS too. I have used a C-More style RDS on a side mount rail too:

IMAG0044.jpg

...from JS Ramsbottom here.

This 25mm type works well on the top rail of an AK RIS too. If I hadn't finally managed to get a Kobra clone (I was looking for one for about 9 months) I was going to add some plastic or aluminium to the sides of this C-More style one and a tube for the sun-shield to make it look more like a Kobra... but fortunately I finally had money when dualdealshop got some stock: woohoo!

Edited by Ian_Gere
modification plan

• Supporters

^^Depends how much you want to spend and how close you want to be to historical accuracy and/or current furniture/sight packages. That side mount which the C-More style RDS is on is an ICS one which cost about £50 new but, if your AK has a dovetail mount on the side of the receiver, you can get a decent enough one pretty cheap, like this or the QD version like this, or a very simple one like this. Or, depending on whether your AK is a TM compatible design, you could go for a full RAS like this, which puts a nice and solid top rail in the more usual position without the need for the dovetail on the side. There is also another type which bolt on underneath and through the rear sight retaining screw, like this, but they're pretty shitty so I wouldn't recommend one.

There are also modern Russian stylee solutions based on the Zenit company's uber tacticool furniture - LCT do a B13 clone (which is a top cover with an integrated rail) but TWI have the best rep afaik, although none of the Zenit clone gear is what you could call reasonably priced, or even necessarily value for money. It does truly look TDB though :lol:

The thing is that red dots are supposed to be used with both eyes open so you may be surprised by how useful a 25-32mm RDS on an RIS handguard can be*, but another option is to put a £25 MRDS on one of these which replaces the rear sight. You can get a dedicated mount for a Docter MRDS which replaces AK rear sights, but that's not a cheap solution either. *I've tried running a clone EOTech 551 on top of an RIS handguard on my tac AK, but my 551 has an EOLAD laser on the side which means that the whole thing is a bit of a fat chunk to have in your point of view, so it only lasted a single morning of skirmish experimentation, but I expect that a simple 551 or 556 clone would work ok...

The thing is that red dots are supposed to be used with both eyes open so you may be surprised by how useful a 25-32mm RDS on a RIS handguard can be.

I have mounted a clone holo sight on a Vector Optics RIS and it does work well. I would like to have fitted a dovetail side mount but being a gas blowback I wanted to be able to open the top cover which is hinged off the rear sight block without removing anything. But it does allow fast target aquisition with both eyes open.

post-8821-0-42763100-1424688750_thumb.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.