MP5 Rigs

Hi all,

Looking to try and find some inspiration for a rig to run with my MP5?

I’ll be running my shooters belt from my normal loadout so preferably need to carry all mags on the rig.

Running a GBBR so will have maybe 4 mags to run on the chest.

Show me what you use please 😂

I use the Blue Force Gear Ten-Speed MP7 Chest Rig for my SMG GBB games, they have worked with mags for WE MP5, WE SMG8/MP7 (new wave small rice), TM NGRS MP5, VFC UMP9 (with some force), Glock long bois and more recently VFC MPX mags with no adjustment. 

Edited by blobface

My SMG kit is a heavy setup because I'm an immersion nerd so my plate carrier has weighted training plates in it to mimic the weight of real plates, and if I'm using an SMG I would probably want a plate carrier as an SMG is far more at home in a direct action style kit; my chest rigs or solo battle belt kits tend to be for more recce or scout sniper style loadouts with a DMR or bolt action rifle, which in fairness is what I tend towards more anyway as I prefer it.

So for my SMGs, I use my Warrior Assault Systems plate carrier that has a bunch of different front panels that I change out depending on which gun I'm using. One of these front panels has 2x Viper triple SMG mag pouches, and I tend to remove one of the m4 mag pouches on the side for an extra double 8fields SMG mag pouch for 8 spare magazines in total, plus one in the gun for my mp9. The mp9 is a GBBR, so combined with the weighted training plates it's incredibly heavy, but it feels so right. It's also a great workout :P 

Since getting my NGRS MP5 I run the magazines in my Platatac chest rig, it comfortably holds 5 across the front with no retention issues. 

However I did find that they fitted nicely into my Esstac 9mm pouches, so I have considered just carrying a couple on a belt rig if I were to go light for some reason. 

Thanks all,

Should have said I usually run my Warrior DCS as everything else I run is mainly around 5.56 so no changes are needed.

wanted to try and get a plate carrier I think that I can attach maybe a quick change panel to so that I can use it for my Sig 552, AK74u, and the MP5. I’m happy with the setup with my Warrior, so that’ll be left alone.

Any of you that have replied have pics of the setups?

Cheers

I don't have any shots of it in game because it's not my preferred way of playing and I'm not playing for 2 more months because of heart surgery last week so I won't get any new pics any time soon, so have a crappy bathroom mirror pic:

image.thumb.jpeg.9eabec838dd5d6c6beef59ee6e6e809f.jpeg

And as I said, I only have this one plate carrier for everything. If I want to use my MWSs, AKM or multitude of .308 guns, all I need to do is swap out that front panel for one of the other two. They just clip in and velcro on and takes a matter of seconds to swap over:

image.thumb.jpeg.db8d9a0c116c24b0e3be13d266d3575b.jpeg

Just now, Lozart said:

Two questions - 

1) are the triple viper pouches on a molle placard converter thing?

2) the mismatched grout lines on the top of your bathroom tiles are making my brain itch.

1. Yeah, it's just a placard with 6 strips of molle on it. The other two are set placards.

2. I just rent a room in this house because I don't want to shell out to rent a 1 bed place in Brighton because it's basically London prices, so it's not my tiles :P 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Impulse said:

2. I just rent a room in this house because I don't want to shell out to rent a 1 bed place in Brighton because it's basically London prices, so it's not my tiles :P 

Makes sense. I'm assuming it IS your Audrey clock though, right?

1 hour ago, Impulse said:

I don't have any shots of it in game because it's not my preferred way of playing and I'm not playing for 2 more months because of heart surgery last week so I won't get any new pics any time soon, so have a crappy bathroom mirror pic:

image.thumb.jpeg.9eabec838dd5d6c6beef59ee6e6e809f.jpeg

And as I said, I only have this one plate carrier for everything. If I want to use my MWSs, AKM or multitude of .308 guns, all I need to do is swap out that front panel for one of the other two. They just clip in and velcro on and takes a matter of seconds to swap over:

image.thumb.jpeg.db8d9a0c116c24b0e3be13d266d3575b.jpeg

im assuming that is a Viper VX base?

52 minutes ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

Spiritus systems MKV.

74FC60F9-80E0-4985-8F54-ECC30E26C0EF.jpeg

Like the look of that

31 minutes ago, n00b1982 said:

im assuming that is a Viper VX base?

No, it's a Warrior Assault Systems recon plate carrier:

https://www.uktactical.com/product/warrior-recon-plate-carrier-base-holds-sapi-plates-18860#?variant=212

I have to buy proper carriers because I'm 6'5 and have a big build. Most repro plate carriers just don't fit me at all.

21 minutes ago, Impulse said:

No, it's a Warrior Assault Systems recon plate carrier:

https://www.uktactical.com/product/warrior-recon-plate-carrier-base-holds-sapi-plates-18860#?variant=212

I have to buy proper carriers because I'm 6'5 and have a big build. Most repro plate carriers just don't fit me at all.

Have a similar issue - not because I’m 6’5” but because I’m larger around the midriff lol.

My health conditions really have knocked my ability to exercise so I can only do what I can do - but thanks for confirming!

This or the Spiritus I think is going to be the way I’m going to go

8 hours ago, Impulse said:

I did a similar thing with an Osprey Mk IV but it weighs a tonne so have only used it once in game.

• Supporters

Personally I recommend what lokkers has done there; or whatever equivalent fits in with your preferences and/or current kit.

You can pick any modern placard and just get the mag inserts to fit your weapons; just be sure to get the right sized inserts  (e.g. 762 generally means 762 NATO, not AK) and ensure they have the right velcro alignment/config (either hook on both sides, or hook on one side and loop on the other, depends which system you buy in to).  The Spiritus Mk5 is a strong option since the modern Spiritus placards are fully loop lined and most of the inserts out there are covered in hook.

There's also the Spiritus Mk4 for extra capacity, the Haley D3CR-M if you want extra pouches built in, or the F9 Ammo Hub (if I might be so bold as to self promote).  Tons of other options out there which are also fully loop lined and also clones of most of them.

The solution for converting a DCS to take placards is very slick. And the spiritus etc placards are proven. The issue for me is the inserts. No offence to any one but not only is only being able to carry 4 mags is sub optimal (compare to Impulse's six on the same foot print) and also, and i suppose this is a me issue, just looks crap.  I was looking at getting an MP5 a little while a go now but decided against as i couldn't find a set up I liked. I would personally go with:

https://unobtainiumgear.com/products/smg-sleds-placard

The GMR universal insert also looks good but a picture showing it with 6x rather than 5x mp5 banana mags is conspicuous by it's absence https://www.gmrgear.com/parasight/universal-kydex-insert

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

• Supporters

I also don't massively love the the Spiritus 4x SMG inserts, but they were made to fit the Mk3 and Mk4 and iirc the MPX/Scorpion version can only physically fit 4 plastic SMG mags in those older placards, once you take in to account the physical space that the elastic itself occupies.

Whiskey Two Four do a 6x insert for SMG, there's probably others out there too (might be limited to metal mags though).  Have to be careful on placard selection with those though, I've not tested for myself but that insert might be a tight fit in a Mk5.  It'll probably be ok in the HSP and definitely works in the Hub since that's got some extra width Vs a Mk5.

It's been said above, but full flap (double) M4 pouches comfortably (and neatly) each take two MP5 mags side by side. E.g. the issued osprey double mag pouches that can be had for a few quid off ebay. That's between 6 and 8 mags on the front of your plate carrier dependant on the size of the carrier.

On 04/09/2024 at 09:00, lokkers said:

I also run a DCS, and the major downside to the design is it lacks the velcro and clips to mount placards. It's a faff to replace molle pouches during a game day.

However, I've managed to get around this using a front velcro panel and some T-bar buckles.

Front panel (6 Wide Loop Panel) and buckles from British Tactical (https://www.britishtactical.com/hl-adaptable-modular-system-parts/). You just mount it to the front of the plate carrier in place of your existing pouches

IMG_6824.thumb.jpeg.4e7dc7283db6b9eda9fb82dc001644ae.jpeg

IMG_6825.thumb.jpeg.74e569c1d4ca64e6e864546d308110eb.jpeg

I can now mount whatever placard I need easily and quickly. The Spiritus MK5 is my go-to for the MP5, and with the inserts it's quick to swap to 5.56 or 7.62.

IMG_6826.thumb.jpeg.f2cf986fdbb47a9afb860d896686e8ce.jpeg

IMG_6827.thumb.jpeg.ec9b0a56f7c5cc8ddc6d125819e9cc7f.jpeg

Added bonus - with a little more outlay, you can run the Spiritus MK5 as a standalone chest rig, which I do when it's really hot (or I'm feeling lazy). It's a really modular system.

This is a solid idea!

I don’t suppose you’ve looked in to making it QR too lol? I’m trying to find a decent solution, but all I’m finding are cheap AliExpress systems and I don’t think I’d trust the cheap looking buckles to last long.

Also, can I ask where you sourced the T bar buckles?

Cheers!

On 06/09/2024 at 09:40, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

The solution for converting a DCS to take placards is very slick. And the spiritus etc placards are proven. The issue for me is the inserts. No offence to any one but not only is only being able to carry 4 mags is sub optimal (compare to Impulse's six on the same foot print) and also, and i suppose this is a me issue, just looks crap.  I was looking at getting an MP5 a little while a go now but decided against as i couldn't find a set up I liked. I would personally go with:

https://unobtainiumgear.com/products/smg-sleds-placard

The GMR universal insert also looks good but a picture showing it with 6x rather than 5x mp5 banana mags is conspicuous by it's absence https://www.gmrgear.com/parasight/universal-kydex-insert

4 mags up front is plenty for me. I normally have a double BFG Ten Speed pouch on the front of the Spiritus, and two more on my PC cummerbund, plus a shooters belt. I could comfortably carry 9-10 MP5 mags if I really wanted to...

9 hours ago, n00b1982 said:

This is a solid idea!

I don’t suppose you’ve looked in to making it QR too lol? I’m trying to find a decent solution, but all I’m finding are cheap AliExpress systems and I don’t think I’d trust the cheap looking buckles to last long.

Cheers!

Do you mean quick-detatch (QD)? If so, it's already QD - the velcro panel is the only part that's threaded onto the plate carrier. I just either swap inserts into the Spiritus rig, or I use a different placard (Placard example: https://www.uktactical.com/product/warrior-assault-systems-warrior-removable-triple-molle-open-pouch-for-rpc-multicam-12395)

If you're talking about mounting specific pouches on there instead (say you wanted two 3x sub gun pouches), you can get blank placards too: https://www.uktactical.com/product/warrior-assault-systems-warrior-molle-front-panel-for-recon-plate-carrier-multicam-12028

The T Bar buckles are at the British Tactical link I posted originally under "2 x Female Molle T-Bar Buckles" 

• Supporters
11 hours ago, n00b1982 said:

This is a solid idea!

Cheers!

Have a look at the AXL adaptors if you want to mount placards https://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/axl-adaptive-vest-placard-avp-for-jpc--airlite-spc--molle-carriers-33314-p.asp

You could also do a lot worse than Whisky Two Four for placards https://wtfidea.com/accessory-panels-placards/