Ammo pouch

DanBow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

As I've recently started my purchasing journey wish list, I'm stuck on ammo pouches. I've got one high cap mag for my M4 but on the last day I played I used a whole mag and needed to refill in the field. I suppose that I'll end up just getting another mag or a few mid caps, as I don't like the rattle, but what do others do? The hire kit I've used so far has the fabric sock type things with the poury spout, but I don't really like them! It doesn't fit in my pocket properly and it rattles!

Any thoughts? 

My recommendation is something cheap like a viper chest rig to get you started, they're light, cheap, don't make you sweat as much as a plate carrier and will carry all you need. When you've used this for 6 months or so, you'll.havr a better idea of what you need/like/don't like. 

Edited by Emergencychimps

If you aren't ready to buy mags yet the pouring things are a useful idea, but the fixed size also means they'll rattle a bit. If you use a small elastic sock that will contract as you empty it you won't get the rattle. 

I only use midcaps bit have made up a container for sim games and long games where I'm likely to need to reload before having to go back to spawn/hq for resupply.

Small sock, neck of a plastic bottle, and a couple of cable ties and you're good to make your own.

4 hours ago, DanBow said:

purchasing journey

That's a  cracker. 

What style are you going for overall?   Remember this is just glorified cos playing. 

I have a full Osprey mk 4 plate carrier.  Others look like they've been chasing Willem Defoe through the woods, and some just look like SWAT team members.

3 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

My recommendation is something cheap like a viper chest rig to get you started,

This. Start off with just a couple of magazine pouches then you can work out what, if anything, else you need. Whilst it's tempting to splurge on a full loadout with a fuckton of pouches, often this leads to an urge to fill every pouch so you end up carrying around loads of kit which never gets used. Then when you do slim down your loadout you end up with loads of pouches gathering dust in a cupboard 

Or a lightweight molle only chest rig - e.g. the new one out by Mil-tec that's a little over £20  - and some cheap Osprey mag pouches. You can always add different/bigger pouches later on in your airsoft career. The Osprey MTP mag pouches (both in 1 mag, and 2 mag flavour) are insane quality and blow most commercial pouches out of the water, yet can be had on ebay for £2-3 each (and many are brand new). I'm surprised not to see more of them in use.

Thanks for all your replies. 

At the moment I've got black, cargo type, work trousers and an old DPM jacket. Last week the jacket was left off and I played in just my t-shirt. I like the look of chest rigs/plate carriers but i doubt I'll get one. They look like overkill, i might get some 95 webbing or just run a belt rig. Lightweight and functional. At the moment I'm enjoying skirmishes so am only out for 30/40 minutes at a time so ammo and water is all thats needed. I think. As you've said,  I'll get a better idea of what i need as i play more but definitely need more than 300 rounds! Im not saying I'm trigger happy but ive got a little weight lifting regime for my trigger finger! 

I think Osprey puches and a decent belt are the way forward.

Ebay/AliExpress/Temu/Amazon here I come.

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, DanBow said:

I think Osprey puches and a decent belt are the way forward.

Ebay/AliExpress/Temu/Amazon  surplus stores here I come.

FTFY.

1 minute ago, Lozart said:

FTFY.

There used to be loads of army surplus stores around. I remember there being an Army and Navy store on what seemed like every street corner back in the day. Car boot sales too but they are few and far between now. I haven't seen a good old fashioned army surplus store for ages! Especially anywhere near me.

Agreed. The nearest one to me stopped selling surplus kit to concentrate on regular camping gear over 10 years ago. There was also a guy at St Albans market a few years ago but his prices were worthy of Mack's and the bullshit he'd spew would put a politician to shame. For example he told the Mrs that the MTP smock he was selling was a bargain at £50 as they usually go for £200

• Supporters
1 hour ago, DanBow said:

There used to be loads of army surplus stores around. I remember there being an Army and Navy store on what seemed like every street corner back in the day. Car boot sales too but they are few and far between now. I haven't seen a good old fashioned army surplus store for ages! Especially anywhere near me.

They've pretty much all gone online!

We had a surprising lack of surplus stores where I grew up given that it was up the road from Sandhurst and Aldershot. HM Supplies was in the town (Camberley) and there was always a good stall at the weekly market at Blackbushe but otherwise you were pretty much stuck with high end military tailors or places flogging new Kombat UK gear!

The war in Ukraine has been a big drain on the surplus business recently. Basically all the surplus kit goes out there, so any business are currently either circulating gear or finding other ways to get it, but that's obviously not as reliable as buying bulk from the main distributor of surplus gear. 

As Lozart said, there's a lot online, but there's also not a set way to guarantee you'll be getting good condition gear, seeing it in person is the only way. Even stuff listed at grade 1 is you relying on the seller to be checking the gear thoroughly. 

Hire kit is great for helping to work out what you want and don't want from your own kit.

If you don't want the rattle then more mid-caps is what you need but then that presents it's own problem in that you need to carry them and that's where you get in to chest rigs and belts.

I just use a belt for the AEG as two mid-cap's and a 'last mag' hi-cap are more than enough, I could probably get away with just three mid-caps. There's no weight in an AEG mag so it's no trouble on a belt, I carry two on the belt but I could easily add a third if I felt I needed it.

The GBBR's a different story as I carry 5 mags +1 in the pew and that's a lot of weight on just a belt, so I've a minimalist chest rig and also carry a speed loader for any games longer than an hour.

For games with a fixed respawn you could use a spawn bag with your consumables in and just re-load before you head back out.

49 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

I just use a belt for the AEG as two mid-cap's and a 'last mag' hi-cap are more than enough, I could probably get away with just three mid-caps. There's no weight in an AEG mag so it's no trouble on a belt, I carry two on the belt but I could easily add a third if I felt I needed it.

The GBBR's a different story as I carry 5 mags +1 in the pew and that's a lot of weight on just a belt, so I've a minimalist chest rig and also carry a speed loader for any games longer than an hour.

I've run a game with a belt kit with a single 2x 5.56 mag pouch on it with two midcaps and a utility pouch with an Odin speedloader and I never had any ammo issues, and it was super lightweight. Can recommend! Would never do that with my MWS though because heavy, but when I run a gas sniper rifle, I do that on a belt kit as I only take 2 spare m700 mags. It's a bit heavy even with only two, but it's manageable!

Got myself a split chest rig (so I can unclip the front and push it aside when crawling on my belly and have nothing on my front digging into my torso and dragging mags through the dirt) for if I am running my MWS or AKM or if I'm going to a larger event like AI500 or the NAF and need the ammo, but for most skirmish or filmsim games I find that a belt kit is adequate for running anything that isn't my MWS or AKM :D 

Frankly I'm a fat f*cker and the thought of even 'just' a belt with nothing attached gives me the fear... Braces all the way & some form of PLCE or chest rig. I even have my leg holster attached to PLCE (just in case).

• Supporters
12 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Frankly I'm a fat f*cker and the thought of even 'just' a belt with nothing attached gives me the fear... Braces all the way & some form of PLCE or chest rig. I even have my leg holster attached to PLCE (just in case).

I feel your pain!

37 minutes ago, Matt.2504 said:

Ok so this may sound daft but I’ve been airsofting for about 15 years now and been using this for roughly the same amount of time and it works

ok be prepared to be amazed and it’s something that most of us having lying around the house, especially a few weeks after Christmas when we have finished up those quite frankly unwanted gifts from relatives….. a lynx body wash bottle.
Obviously make sure it’s clean and totally dry first but trust me, they work perfectly. Fit great into an M4 mag pouch, holds probably a thousand or so rounds, remove the cap and the pouring spout is great for filling high caps and speed loaders. And unless you’re getting really low on ammo, it doesn’t rattle anywhere near as much as you’d think it would. 

That is a damn fine idea.

I have never wanted to own a bottle of Lynx Body Wash

Until now

Which one should an Airsofter buy?

'Axe'?  'Blast'?   Asking for a friend....

13 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Africa... we're all teenagers at heart.

No other excuse needed to roll out this classic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.