Snitching Vs Warranted Concern.

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yeah, I wasn't quite surely what it was when I saw/heard the blank firer as it's not like the Marshals pre-warned anyone and it was just a regular open skirmish day. The Marshal had a word with the guy and I didn't hear it for the rest of the time I was there, but seems the answer to my question was "No...unless you're a regular"

Seems us sensible lot will have to sit around in the "safe zone" with full eye and hearing protection.

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

11 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

What's the point of a blank firer at a game?

No bb's are coming out of it so you can't hit anyone with it.

Possibly because it's the only place they can fire it without someone reporting it to the police.

14 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

What's the point of a blank firer at a game?

No bb's are coming out of it so you can't hit anyone with it.

Stand in front of someone firing it and I beg to differ

3 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

Stand in front of someone firing it and I beg to differ

Where I play, there a bang rule but you still have to be pointing a loaded rif at someone. If they don't take their hit you can then shoot them.

If someone shot at me with a blank firer, I might shit my keks but I wouldn't be taking a hit.

39 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Blank firing guns have to have the barrel blocked

Yes, they have the barrel blocked so that the gas can cycle the action. 

From close range/point blank range, a blank could seriously ruin your day.

3 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Where I play, there a bang rule but you still have to be pointing a loaded rif at someone. If they don't take their hit you can then shoot them.

If someone shot at me with a blank firer, I might shit my keks but I wouldn't be taking a hit.

Not the point I'm making

8 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

UK legal blank voters have the barrel blocked to ensure that they cannot be converted to fire projectiles from live rounds and also to ensure that the vented gas does not go forwards 

Blank firers do vent their gas

On 28/08/2023 at 22:15, C-Diddy said:

From close range/point blank range, a blank could seriously ruin your day.

Not the point I'm making

I think the point that Diddy is making is that Blanks Firers are still dangerous.  I remember in basic training our Flt Sgt put a styrofoam coffee cup over the end of a blank firing device.  Pulled the trigger, and it was shredded by the shotgun like debris that still comes out the end of the barrel, blank or not.  You can lose your eyes if someone shoots a blank too close to you

17 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

I think the point that Diddy is making is that Blanks Firers are still dangerous.  I remember in basic training our Flt Sgt put a styrofoam coffee cup over the end of a blank firing device.  Pulled the trigger, and it was shredded by the shotgun like debris that still comes out the end of the barrel, blank or not.  You can lose your eyes if someone shoots a blank too close to you

Yes, exactly. Must admit my only experience with blank rounds is through real steel with BFAs attached, not actual blank firers, which, as pointed out, do have blocked barrels.

Appreciate the clarification. 

One thing I've seen a couple of times is people lying about what weight they use at the chrono.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, SheriffHD said:

One thing I've seen a couple of times is people lying about what weight they use at the chrono.

<Mounts hobby horse>

Which is why sites should be putting their own BBs in for chrono, and 0.4g, not 0.2g

</dismounts>

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

<Mounts hobby horse>

Which is why sites should be putting their own BBs in for chrono, and 0.4g, not 0.2g

</dismounts>

I mean i can see the validity.

I'd go with keeping a stash of speedloaders at chrono with the common weights, ask the player their weight and stuff a few of whatever they say in there.

Alternate version, i once made a device for extracting 10bb's from a magazine, think a stub of inner barrel slightly turned down at one end and a pin stuck in the other. Its original purpose was to releive midcap syndrome but such a device could easily be used to extract [known number of bb's] and weigh them.

46 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I'd go with keeping a stash of speedloaders at chrono with the common weights, ask the player their weight and stuff a few of whatever they say in there.

Iirc that's what they did at urban assault but with magazines rather than speedloaders as the majority of players were using M4 variants 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

Iirc that's what they did at urban assault but with magazines rather than speedloaders as the majority of players were using M4 variants 

Yup, my local CQB sites do that, loaded with 0.2g, with a maximum site weight of 0.25g, so it's reasonable on the face of it.

However, what it doesn't control for is when some clever-dickhead is intending to rock 0.4g in his HPA'd m4-mag Franken-Cappa, knowing that it'll chrono much lower with 0.2g and that the chances of being caught are essentially nil.  I lost a fingernail to what I'm convinced was that scenario.

There's no perfect solution, but if everyone was informed and honest, then we wouldn't need chrono. If you're going to do it, and do it for safety reasons, you might as well do it properly, and on the precautionary principle.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

There's no perfect solution

Unfortunately I think the only way to ensure nobody is cheating the chrono would be to only allow 1 weight bought on site, however I'm sure I'm not the the only one who'd avoid a site with such rules

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

only allow 1 weight bought on site

The only way to police that is to test in game.  Do that, do it a lot, and many of these issues will get caught.  Don't do it, and whatever you did it at the start of the day was just theatre.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.