US - Airsoft under threat?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

57 minutes ago, Leo Greer said:

Stricter guns laws don’t necessarily make places less or more safe. They make me and my family less safe by removing our ability to defend ourselves if the worst should happen. I.e. they remove power from law abiding citizens. Those with malicious intent will, of course, ignore gun control laws.

You do realise that law abiding citizens carrying guns isn't the deterrent you think it is. Infact it's going to make the criminal more likely to carry and use a gun in crimes

12 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

It’s called legislation creep. A prime current example is AI, one country starts talking about trying to legislate, other partner countries do the same.

Firearms even more so, as a large proportion of the UK population seem to think (as you appear to) that “nobody needs a firearm”.

In response to that, way more legally held cars kill and injure people in the UK than firearms. Almost nobody has a legitimate reason to own a car. Get a bus and/or a train.

Also, see my first point “First they came for the communists….”

Don’t f****** try and tell me what’s legitimate and what’s not in my life. ****

Pull your head in, old boy; your angry man syndrome is showing.

AI legislation and firearms legislation are two completely different situations.  The former is a new and rapidly developing area and all governments are looking at its potential impact and how to prevent it growing out of control; it is not a case of "follow my leader".

Do you really think that a US requirement to have markings on imitation firearms and some form of testing programme for the same is going to impact your right to own a firearm in the UK?

I did NOT say that nobody needs a firearm; I said that, outside a few legitimate reasons, nobody in the UK needs a firearm; if you are going to argue with me, at least try to argue with what I have said.  I stand by what I said; there are very few people in the UK who need a firearm.

Your car argument is utterly infantile; cars serve a useful purpose in transporting people.  As such, they are useful tools.  In the UK, firearms are only useful tools for very, very few people.

Comparing airsofters with Dietrich Bonhoeffer is utterly ridiculous and massively insulting to someone who had the guts to stand up to one of the most vile regimes in modern history.  Give your head a shake.

Edited by Colin Allen

4 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

G* F*** Y******* Y** C***

Grow up, child.  Either that, or stop posting when drunk.

Anger and self control issues; hopefully, he does not have a FAC.

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

The rest of the world,  except maybe south Africa disagrees with you.😉

Why is that?

*unsure whether he should immediately start dissing South Africa or not…*

I'm not having a go at anyone in particular, just disappointed a discussion has got personal.  This is typically a happy place

I don’t think any of y’all Brits need to be getting angry over a discussion about American legislature for any reason… if anything I should be the angry one. 😂

…no point to having this discussion if it’s just going to make people go nuts…

12 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Anger and self control issues; hopefully, he does not have a FAC.

I remember when you called me a cunt twice.Has your anger and self control got better? 😂😂

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

You do realise that law abiding citizens carrying guns isn't the deterrent you think it is. Infact it's going to make the criminal more likely to carry and use a gun in crimes

That’s like saying nations would never develop any new weapons if their enemies didn’t. Example: Cold War. Guns are easy to use—a death threat in the palm of your hand. If a criminal has access to a handgun, why on earth would he not use it? (Noise of the gunshot is one reason I came up with, but that’s dependent on scenario)

17 minutes ago, Leo Greer said:

I don’t think any of y’all Brits need to be getting angry over a discussion about American legislature for any reason… if anything I should be the angry one. 😂

…no point to having this discussion if it’s just going to make people go nuts…

By that "logic", I don't think you should be assuming it's only Brits responding 😂 ... and you're the one who effectively brought gun control / 2A into an airsoft discussion... Can't do a thing like that then cry when people respond to it 🙄

19 minutes ago, TacticalWaifu said:

By that "logic", I don't think you should be assuming it's only Brits responding 😂 ... and you're the one who effectively brought gun control / 2A into an airsoft discussion... Can't do a thing like that then cry when people respond to it 🙄

I’m not upset in the slightest. I was simply attempting to lighten the mood—these discussions can make people angry, sometimes understandably, and when everyone’s angry, the discussion becomes pointless. We can have a good discussion with point and counterpoint, or we can have folks getting mad at each other and getting nowhere.

Tackle mentioned the American firearm situation first.

Skullchewer has the right idea. He’s clearly the smartest one here.

Edited by Leo Greer

45 minutes ago, Shamal said:

I remember when you called me a cunt twice.Has your anger and self control got better? 😂😂

To be fair, you deserved it and it was not written in anger.

1 hour ago, Leo Greer said:

Why is that?

*unsure whether he should immediately start dissing South Africa or not…*

I'd be interested to see a non developing country with a higher violent crime death rate per capita with stricter gun control laws.

There's an interesting interactive world map here:  https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/murder-rate-by-country  Certainly taught me a few things. 

I watch a lot of "lawTube" and America does get some things right....  But gun culture, education and health it certainly does not.  This case about ChatGPT  is fecking hilarious to listen to (https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/08/nyregion/lawyer-chatgpt-sanctions.html).  I say this having just signed my son up to an international school that uses the University of Nebraska High School curriculum. 

Your participation in a UK forum is admirable in that you are apparently interested in the happenings outside your nation's borders.  Next you'll be telling us you own a passport 😁.  I've certainly enjoyed reading your contributions and linked pages.

One of the reasons I enjoy this hobby is because I like the aesthetic and feel of guns... don't want a real one though - is that strange?  I just go to my dad's house/land and use his shotguns for clays and vermin.

13 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

and we're on a forum for big kids.

big kids with grown up money ..... very dangerous combination 🤣  especially on a Friday night when booze is involved.

Edited by Dan Robinson

55 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

I'd be interested to see a non developing country with a higher violent crime death rate per capita with stricter gun control   

Honduras has a terrible murder rate and zero legal civilian gun ownership.  

Anyhow, whatever we discuss, be it cars, drugs, guns, or anything else; the simplist thing is that responsible nonviolent people pose no problem with them.  I don't dick about with my controlled meds, wave rifs around where unsuitable or drive pissed.  Same for the rest of us on here I'm sure. 

We collectively, through govts, regulate things because socialy regulating ourselves is impossible whilst the instrumental logic of our social relations and the resulting adherence to functionalism trumps the objective study of actual material conditions.  Alienation is the result. Alienated people act in alienated ways.

How it seems around the campfire two scotchs in anyhow.  It also strikes me that concern with producing socialy healthy citizens is at least 2400 years old and we're not there yet by some measure.   Not sure we'll solve it in this thread anyhow.  

'Behave in a socialy responsible way, chin the cunts that don't.'   Ghandi 

2 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

That’s like saying nations would never develop any new weapons if their enemies didn’t. Example: Cold War. Guns are easy to use—a death threat in the palm of your hand. If a criminal has access to a handgun, why on earth would he not use it? (Noise of the gunshot is one reason I came up with, but that’s dependent on scenario)

The cold war is a very bad example of the point you're trying (and failing) to make. Both sides were in an arms race as they both considered the other side to be wanting to wipe them out.

As for your question about why wouldn't they use it, why would they go through the extra hassle of getting a gun when a knife can be bought for a fraction of the price and will have the same effect on the victim, whether that's making them comply or putting a hole in them

7 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Honduras has a terrible murder rate and zero legal civilian gun ownership.

Would we be classing them as a developed nation though?  I get what you mean though and if things were as simple as some of our posts here make out, life on earth would be much better than it is.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

That's certainly a thing that's possible to speculate and assert. However, is there an example we could examine, where a high rate of legally held and carried firearms is correlated with a high rate of illegally used firearms?

53 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Would we be classing them as a developed nation though?  I get what you mean though and if things were as simple as some of our posts here make out, life on earth would be much better than it is.

Not sure to be honest,  although I imagine that the petro industry qualifies it.  

I know that South Africa is the only 'first world ' nation in Africa.  In 2019 I think that I remember that about 10% more people died from criminality in SA  than died from the Syrian civil war.  22k v 20k.  Worth checking anyhow. 

It's a very open question. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.