Pistol Mags and Holster Problem....

DRay

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Those of you who are familiar with my spamming of threads/posing open questions @GAMBLE @Adolf Hamster @GenuineGerman @Jacob Wright will know that they have followed a theme and gone through the following development;

1. Do I need a sidearm? 
2. I want one anyway. 
3. Why are 1911s so ugly. 
4. Bought a TM P226. 
5. Are RN/RM/Army irritating. 

To that end, I now welcome more advice on this thread or indeed any of the other topics I have brought up and derailed elsewhere! I have a P226 in the post (and an offer a casual link up with a team in North London thank you Jacob!) and am in irons about how to incorporate the new kit based on planning considerations of;

1. I am not sold on a drop leg holster, always having had an osprey mounted holster for work. 
2. I have a P226 with two additional magazines to carry and would prefer a generic holster in case (when) I buy another pistol so that I can carry either. 
3. I play urban/CQB/PMC so don’t spend my Sundays prone in a ditch peering through a hedge. 

4. I already have a 4th additional M4 midcap to carry in my combats (they have a thigh mag pocket which I think is pretty cool). 
5. I don’t really want to buy another plate carrier because this one does me for airsoft/crossfit/running etc and my wife will smell a rat if I suddenly have another one around the house. 

How would you incorporate a pistol with two extra mags into this setup? I have seen the odd pistol holster that can carry a mag which may be an option, as well as double pistol mag pouches. Clearly I still want to be able to draw my pistol quickly and not get tangled up in the mag pouches. 

Interested to hear suggestions (including arguments that I am wrong and should consider a drop leg holster/other kind of holster) of what you would put together, as well as any links that you think are helpful. 

(There is also one other option which is a real steel police/SWAT vest with significantly more MOLLE attachment points that I was issued years ago but have never used for airsoft and was considering selling)

E1AC21D0-A47D-4362-9D30-FD1D8D2D3592.jpeg

02B0B77D-A74F-474D-95C1-BF81197CA580.jpeg

Never worn the second one (issued kit) for airsoft because it is massive (identical to what the 5-0 wear) and feels like running round in a juggernaut suit. 

Have a look at the warrior assault holster. It's universal hold type and can be sized for most pistols, it molle mounts so could go on the front. I'd look at the warrior pistol mag pouches too.

I have run both fornyears and theybhave been great, built restful tough and hold mags really well (I've never lost one despite never closing them).

If you don't fancy having them on your front you could also look for a molle belt panel that you slide over any belt. I'm sure you can find the on hueys and tactical kit uk

• Supporters

For the pistol, get a serpa (or similar clone), generic cloth holsters have a nasty habit of touching the mag release, proving expensive if no one hands the mag in.

Hard shell holsters will never do that thankfully, also if molle mount is what your used to, then stick with it for Airsoft, muscle memory is a good skill & definite leveller in most situations.

If you get another pistol, just get another holster, the clones are cheap as chips but actually generally good quality & more than up to the job of fortnightly (?) use.

13 minutes ago, heroshark said:

Will you ever be wanting a torch on the pistol? 

Hmmm probably not? I have a torch on my M4 carbine, I don’t know that there would be that much utility in a pistol barrel torch... would there? 

To be honest I don’t think you can put a torch on a P226 (it isn’t the E2 so I don’t think it has a bottom rail)? 

I have a hand torch too (I was always told in training that waving a torch around on the end of your gun is a good way to get shot in the dark, at least you can hold a hand torch away from your body). 

Serpa holster for the SIG is a must.

Fantastic holster an inexpensive to find a real steel one.

No idea if airsoft SIGs fit in the Safariland holsters which kick around on ebay for a small price but they might be worth going for if they can be belt/Miller mounted.

Is a serpa holster molle? I can’t find one that is. 

Yep, there is a fork type adapter, and you slide it in. Got one on one of my belts.

I would recommend this (but finding one cheaper, mine was circa £20, usually some pop up on the various forums or ebay):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201925732196

Hi @DRay! 👋

What your main preference at the moment with your setup? 🔫🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

Ah ok cool. And that will fit a 226? 

Just now, GAMBLE said:

Hi @DRay! 👋

What your main preference at the moment with your setup? 🔫🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

- move fast

- quick load (I don’t use a dump pouch, I shove the empties down the front of my shirt) and quick draw

- carry enough rounds to start a small coup

- look like a fucking gangster 🤣

My TM P226E2 fits in my one.

Obviously clones are cheaper and way easier to source, but I have seen one too many literally fall apart mid skirmish to make me want to risk it. Although, a lanyard would give a degree of protection.

8 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

My TM P226E2 fits in my one.

Obviously clones are cheaper and way easier to source, but I have seen one too many literally fall apart mid skirmish to make me want to risk it. Although, a lanyard would give a degree of protection.

I don’t have an E2 but I think they look like a very very similar shape (minus the lower rail)? 

Yeah I have a lanyard, I’m not running round with something I paid £80 for bouncing out down a stairwell. 

• Supporters

i'd probably advocate for a hip/belt mounted hard shell or WAS type holster. although tbh if you're used to/like chest mount then go for it.

fabric holsters as have been mentioned have a nasty habit of dropping mags for kicks, the 226 for sure is susceptible because the first time i ever ran a pistol i ended up spending about an hour hunting for my 1 226 mag on the field.

drop leg can work, but you want to try and mount it as high as possible, i've heard it described as "you'll be needing to either remove the top strap from the holster or give up on having kids this lifetime", but it will still feel a bit clunkier for running full tilt.

my personal preference is left shoulder mounted, but you can't really do that with something as big as a 226.

15 minutes ago, DRay said:

I don’t have an E2 but I think they look like a very very similar shape (minus the lower rail)? 

Yeah I have a lanyard, I’m not running round with something I paid £80 for bouncing out down a stairwell. 

if you have a proper good holster you can get away without a lanyard, but it's up to you if you wanna still risk it.

havent ran a lanyard in years and not lost a pistol yet.

Personally I always found the clone serpas very good when I ran a 226. Yes lights are a good way to light yourself and others up if you use them like a tool :D. As long as you have something searching for objectives and the like in dark game areas is much easier.

My brother rates his Warrior Universal Holster, so don't discount that design.

Whatever works for you. My Crye Gunclip is the one 'holster' that has come closest to me losing my G19 with a Surefire X200...twice. So it was a lanyard added after pistol dump number two that allowed me to justify using it again.

TBF, I have now swapped it out for a Safariland 6354DO but due to lockdown, I can't report how that has stood up to use.

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd probably advocate for a hip/belt mounted hard shell or WAS type holster. although tbh if you're used to/like chest mount then go for it.

fabric holsters as have been mentioned have a nasty habit of dropping mags for kicks, the 226 for sure is susceptible because the first time i ever ran a pistol i ended up spending about an hour hunting for my 1 226 mag on the field.

drop leg can work, but you want to try and mount it as high as possible, i've heard it described as "you'll be needing to either remove the top strap from the holster or give up on having kids this lifetime", but it will still feel a bit clunkier for running full tilt.

my personal preference is left shoulder mounted, but you can't really do that with something as big as a 226.

if you have a proper good holster you can get away without a lanyard, but it's up to you if you wanna still risk it.

havent ran a lanyard in years and not lost a pistol yet.

My thoughts at the moment are to mount a pistol on the front of the mag holster molle because I think in a pinch that’s where my hand will go automatically to draw it rather than to my right leg. 

I think that @concretesnail’s suggestion of a belt patch to add some more rig space is a good on and means I can put mags on my left side (and maybe have space for a grenade pouch). 

The consensus does seem to be against a cordura holster and to get a solid one which I will definitely take onboard if I can find a cheap-ish one that isn’t just going to fall to bits. 

4 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

My brother rates his Warrior Universal Holster, so don't discount that design.

Whatever works for you. My Crye Gunclip is the one 'holster' that has come closest to me losing my G19 with a Surefire X200...twice. So it was a lanyard added after pistol dump number two that allowed me to justify using it again.

TBF, I have now swapped it out for a Safariland 6354DO but due to lockdown, I can't report how that has stood up to use.

Is a warrior holster a fabric one? 

What pistol does your brother run? Does it have a mag release in the same similar place to a 226? (I am having nightmares about losing mags now after @Adolf Hamster’s story of losing one because TM mags are fucking expensive to replace!)

He runs a Mk.23 in it, which is a pistol I have seen dump mags from fabric pouches, but so far, so good. It is a very sturdy, thick fabric, quite hard to describe, but I have spoken with a few owners and all have rated it.

image.thumb.png.d754e0b48a1fa8dc7e3a5f917cb5704c.pngThis the one?? Just looks like that is going to pop out with any movement at all! Does he carry that on a chest rig? 

I’ve recently picked up one of those warrior ones. There’s a locking mechanism with a thumb paddle that locks pretty securely. There are a couple of differently shaped inserts included to match the shape of the pistol’s trigger guard.

I’ve tried jumping up and down with a ‘capa in place and haven’t caught it out yet.

41 minutes ago, DRay said:

image.thumb.png.d754e0b48a1fa8dc7e3a5f917cb5704c.pngThis the one?? Just looks like that is going to pop out with any movement at all! Does he carry that on a chest rig? 

@DRay

Sounds like a good option for a holster and simple, might want to consider some pistol mag/ grenade pouches on the other mags? 🤔

Just my opinion, go with what works for you? 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

• Supporters

IMI also do some nice hard holsters, the molle mount only needs 3 molle row width compared to the 4 row width that serpa molle mounts need, plus the holster angle is way more adjustable than a serpas.

4 hours ago, DRay said:

3. Why are 1911s so ugly. 

It's okay, not everyone can have superb taste, but at least you're open to admitting your flaws...

IMI holster plus a molle mount is great, I use one for my p226 and it's never let me down. Warrior Assault Systems for the pistol mag pouches, because they're just plain fantastic. The Warrior holster can still press the mag release if it's pressed on at a certain angle, which probably won't happen unless you find yourself crawling around a lot. The IMI ones won't because they're hard.

If you ever want to mount a flashlight to it, go with Kydex Customs. Those holsters are fantastic and can mount onto certain flashlight models.

• Supporters

Just to throw another one into the mix, Fobus do great retention holsters. You'll also get a new one for the price of a second hand/china clone Blackhawk Serpa

https://www.uktactical.com/c-84-fobus-holsters.aspx

Hey @DRay thought this might be useful regarding the warrior. None of the photos online seem to show the actual gubbins. In photo one you can see the retainer that grabs the trigger guard.

I’ve stuck a little video on there too to show it’s pretty secure

3F6D98A2-F421-4390-B36E-51736493086A.jpeg

7E00687E-6CAA-4C30-819D-C4563C7C728E.jpeg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.