The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

47 minutes ago, Tackle said:

"IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SHOT, WORK HARDER, GET YOUR ARSE LOWER ON THE GROUND OR MOVE FASTER WHEN UNDER FIRE, & MOST OF ALL, THINK SMARTER"

I've often found that more and more pyro is the answer, depending on how far you can throw. If you can't throw that far, invest in taginn launchable pyro

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

My only wish is that respawn points weren't so far away. 🤣

This is why I prefer my indoors CQB site. No one is moaning that the spawn is too far away and they spend a couple minutes walking back to the action to get killed and have to walk back again. Especially when the attackers are going up a decent incline, that gets tiring even for the fittest of guys.

Edited by MrTea

14 minutes ago, MrTea said:

This is why I prefer my indoors CQB site. No one is moaning that the spawn is too far away and they spend a couple minutes walking back to the action to get killed and have to walk back again. Especially when the attackers are going up a decent incline, that gets tiring even for the fittest of guys.

I moan like an old woman about that, but like being shot. It's part of the game.  I will admit to walking to respawn, then when well out of the way, having a sit down for the requisite time it would have taken me.   

Way I see it, it gives me more energy for running at the enemy so they can light me up again 💡😁

• Supporters
On 30/07/2023 at 20:38, gavinkempsell said:

[Players of War] a huge site with bunkers, & cover all over the place

Yup, it's a decent and well run site, but actually a bit too big for my tastes.  Not overly sparse like Section 8, there is indeed loads of buildwork (and more going up, I see) and you're rarely more than a leap and a bound from some cover.  I just prefer the higher shooting-to-walking ratio in CQB sites, or at Area-66. [checks the weather and spaces for this Sunday]

Went Absolute Airsoft last sunday to bring my Girlfriend to Airsoft for the first time, absolutely loved it. shes really wanting to have a vietnam era sort of load out, of course i gave her the m16 to play with that day, great game day all in all. also bought a new toy after the game day cant way to show it off when it arrives in a few minutes 

10 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Operation Paramount 2 – 28-30/07/23

Fawkham Kent – Sierra Bravo Airsoft....

That was a great write up, sounds like an incredible event.  Definitely something I'd like to do once a bit more experienced.

How did it work for those who were cast as civilians or the ineffective national army roles?  If the former, are you expected to act as a bit of an NPC and not do much/any fighting?  Do the national army players just take bribes to lay down their arms or run away at the first sign of trouble?  Seems like an awesome way to create a real feeling world, if you get cast in a more passive role but were hoping for front-line action is that just part and parcel of participating or was there some flexibility that meant all the factions got a decent amount of trigger time over the weekend?

20 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Dude you're paying to be shot as much as you shoot

100%

On Sunday we were defending our 88's and thinking I was pretty well covered I spotted a 'red' making a dash to get our flag, as I popped above my cover to stop him in his tracks I spotted another 3 or 4 reds to my left... I got hosed big time, don't even think I got a shot off.

11 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

If you're up for a game, there's always a welcome and a guiding hand for new players.  I've buddied up with first timers a few times. and newbies are identified at the start so that we all know to help.  Next similar game that I know of is September's game at Gunman Alpha, it's Namsoft of some description.  Take a look at Gunman and Sierra Bravo Airsoft websites.  Several people on here play these events, just shout if you want someone to team up with for a first game.  Rebel Scum, Impulse, Evil Monkee, and I all do these regularly.  

Once I have a driving license I'll have to get out to one of these events at Sierra Bravo as it's a little closer to me than Eversley (looking forward to September!) so it would definitely be doable. In the meantime, I'll try and sell it to the other guys I go to Namsoft at Eversley with and see if we can get down to one of these Sierra Bravo ones in the future. Sounds like you had a blast and sounds like we'd have a blast as well with how these games play out.

Edited by Impulse

On 18/07/2023 at 22:55, Dan Robinson said:

We're 

We're going there on Saturday now... Then  REDCON 2 again on Sunday..... I'm going to be fucked by Monday. 

WATCH YOUR PROFANITY!!!

(p.s: you werent fucked)

Today saw the lad and I travel up to Billericay, the home of three airsoft sites: Airsoft Plantation, Tower Airsoft and Skirmish Billericay.  Our destination was the very large Airsoft Plantation, which has a great mix of dense woodland, scrubland, structures and open spaces.  A good number of players were in attendance, with a range of ages and levels of experience.

After the usual, somewhat amusing, briefing we set off for the first game "A Bridge Too Far".  The attacking team (that was us) had to proceed from one end of the site to the other taking three bridges along the way by setting off a siren on each bridge.  Once the first bridge had been taken, the surviving defenders had to pull back to within 50 m of the next bridge and the attackers had to regroup at the bridge before being released to advance again; the same applied at the second bridge and, once the third bridge was taken, the game was over.  Attackers had infinite regens on a marshal, while the defenders had one life at each bridge.

Our attack eventually overran the first bridge after a fierce firefight; the second bridge fell rather quickly as the red team massed behind the bridge, leaving only a very weak force in front of it.  The fight for the third bridge was long and fierce and we eventually completed the mission in just over 42 minutes.

After a short break to bomb up, the game was reversed.  At the first bridge, the lad (dressed in fill 1980s Soviet Mechanised Infantry uniform including shiny brass buttons and foot wraps inside his boots) and I and a few others took up a position in dense undergrowth on the right flank, holding up an enemy flanking manoeuvre for a considerable time until we fell back into the ditch from where we held them up even further.  After the bridge fell, we and a young lad fell back to a favourite position in a ditch on the left flank from where we had a great fight with the enemy, inflicting a lot of hits on them before eventually being overrun.  The only real negative of the day happened at this point; as I walked away with my hand in the air, shouting "Dead man walking", some knuckle-dragger on the other team rinsed me from about 10m when I was in full sight of him.  Sadly, I did resort to uncouth language.

Falling back to the third bridge, we waited for the enemy who came storming out of the brush and were shot to pieces; their next attempt was much better coordinated and ended my involvement with the game.  They eventually completed the mission in just over 47 minutes.

After lunch, the red team (not us), starting at Swaziland, were tasked with picking up a stretcher at the Boat House, collecting the casualty (young Owen) at the DEA base and transporting him to the town hall in the village.  As the defenders, we had two lives on each side of the firebreak.  The attackers could regen on a marshal.  As they could attack from any direction, the first stage was very lively.  I initially took position in some bushes, which gave me a great view over three paths, allowing me to hit a number of the enemy before being hit when the enemy broke into the DEA base itself.  I pulled back to the area around the Boat House, where we fought off several enemy attacks from various directions.  At some point, the lad passed by, having been hit, stating that he was falling back to near the firebreak to cause chaos there as there were enough people defending the Boat House.  After fighting off another attack, I decided that he had the right idea and sneaked to the mortar pits, where I had great fun engaging the enemy there, sending several back in search of the regen marshal before eventually being flanked and shot in the back.  I fell back across the firebreak and joined in the defence of the village until I was eventually hit twice in fairly short order.  The enemy failed to complete the mission in the allocated hour, so poor young Owen bled out.

After that, we played a final game where our team, which had eight allocated bombers, had to get three bombs to their respective targets in the mortar pits.  Each bomb had to go to its specific target, these being the bus, the UN vehicle and the Freelander.  Bombs could only be carried by the bombers and, if the bombers were hit, they lost their bomber status, so it was essential for us to protect them.  We had infinite regens by passing through one of the boats, while the defenders had two lives.  We started the game by charging out of the three landing craft.  Usually, this involves the landing craft ramps being raised by the marshals and then dropped to start the game; however, on this occasion, they were left down as snakes were living under them!  The bus was bombed surprisingly easily, followed by the Freelander, but the UN vehicle took considerably longer as it is on the far side of the mortar pits and easily defended.  However, we achieved all three objectives, which was a satisfactory end to a very satisfactory day.

Weapons used:

Me:
Ares VZ58
Umarex (S&T) ARX 160
Milbro Classic M1911 (CO2)

The lad:
E&L/CYMA AKS-74
CYMA AKS-74U
ASG XP18 Commander (CO2)

Edited by Colin Allen

11 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

I walked away with my hand in the air, shouting "Dead man walking", some knuckle-dragger on the other team rinsed me from about 10m when I was in full sight of him

Dude, you need one of these...

high-five-foam-hand-available-in-7-colours-colour-red-27130-p.jpg

52 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Dude, you need one of these...

high-five-foam-hand-available-in-7-colours-colour-red-27130-p.jpg

Not a bad idea; it might make using the rifle a bit tricky though.

21 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

You get shot a lot anyway... especially when dead already.

Indeed, but this was deliberate.

Well last weekend was the boy's last gameday in the UK, so we went to AWA. 

He was in his usual Afghanistan deployment outfit but with a twist..... A socking great Japanese flag as a cape.  Which looked like a suitably sized target for airsoft purposes. 

Compress_20230811_213850_0646.thumb.jpg.b1c013eab52471f9e98fba62d0634100.jpg

They've upgraded the bunker with barricades which make it even better.  

We had a friend with us too so he had my Specna and I alternated between the L85 and the Honey Badger which is currently sporting a massive 3-9 zoom sniper scope as a joke.  Which turned out to be a good move.  Both pews were working bang on, allowing me to rack up a record number of kills. 

First game was one where the winning team was the one who's coloured tin was on the pole outside a kill house at the end.  My usual banzai attitude to these games kicked in so it was rushing the house repeatedly getting shot, but also getting a tidy pistol kill against a riot shield when I left the L85 behind for more speed and COD style sliding. 

Riot shield guy got his revenge later with the Touching Cloth game as he also had an RPG.... Which he unleashed on me when I rushed the bunker, and shot me from about 4m away.  Fair enough - no MED was specified at the safety brief. 

One of the better games of the day was where the attacking team had to storm 2 houses  to capture two sets of tins then get them into the third as the defenders retreat forming a stronger and stronger defense.   Drils and skills kicked in and muggings here went in a bit of a rampage clearing the first house through the windows whilst other team members suppressed the defenders. Both inside and surrounding.  Some poor sod got a couple of shots to the throat whilst one window was cleared giving a mixture of both guilt and hilarity. 

Final game of zombies was a blast too as us 5 zombies were a lot closer to the humans than they thought.  Humans had to start in a kill house and leg it for cover, not realising that we were hiding just round the corner.  Needless to say the dozen or so people running out of the main door were brutally turned to zombies before they even realised. 

Somewhat annoyed that the days there now finish at 15:30, but the day was pretty epic so will forgive them for now. 

Off to Spec Ops tomorrow with the boy's Specna (to test my repairs rrom this afternoon), the L85, Honey Badger and SVU.  The latter of which I haven't used for ages because of having too much fun with the others. 

Fun times.....fun times. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Honey Badger which is currently sporting a massive 3-9 zoom sniper scope as a joke.  Which turned out to be a good move.

Would you say you benefitted from the 3-9x more than you would a 1-4x? Asking as i'm building a DMR and can only ever imagine needing 4x as a maximum but looking for others views.

4 is plenty IMHO.... This scope was originally on my Rapax DMR.  So it was partly for looks as much as anything else. 

I was shooting either using the 3x setting or the top mounted holosight.  I occasionally used higher magnification to look for targets, but the field of view is too small for shooting once you consider the accuracy of the gun. 

I have a black and tan pair of these on my L85 and Specna for regular stuff

TREYTECH 4x32 Airsoft ACOG Scope Red Chevron Fiber Scope Glass Etched Reticle Real Fiber Optics Scope (TAN) https://amzn.eu/d/ezz2zSb

28 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Would you say you benefitted from the 3-9x more than you would a 1-4x? Asking as i'm building a DMR and can only ever imagine needing 4x as a maximum but looking for others views.

Edited by Dan Robinson

16 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

4 is plenty IMHO.... This scope was originally on my Rapax DMR.  So it was partly for looks as much as anything else. 

I was shooting either using the 3x setting or the top mounted holosight.  I occasionally used higher magnification to look for targets, but the field of view is too small for shooting once you consider the accuracy of the gun. 

I have a black and tan pair of these on my L85 and Specna for regular stuff

TREYTECH 4x32 Airsoft ACOG Scope Red Chevron Fiber Scope Glass Etched Reticle Real Fiber Optics Scope (TAN) https://amzn.eu/d/ezz2zSb.

Thanks for the input and confirming what I already thought. Your link doesn't work due to the "." at the end of your link btw :)

1 hour ago, MrTea said:

Clarity is king.  A decent scope at x4 is better than a shit scope at 10x.  Looking into dark corners will show up a shit scope at any power.  I used a decent scope at x4 at dusk, potting targets at the base of fir trees that cast a heavy shadow.   I'd have struggled with a flashier but poorer lensed tactical scope.

My DMR SVD has a silly priced  1.4-4x20 on it with a Red Dot lens shield.  I've also got a decent Japanese scoped M14 with a period 6x40 IIRC.  It's unfashionable and cost peanuts, but its a good piece of basic clear lensed kit.  

The usual fortnightly trip to Special Ops ...

A day where everything went pretty well, without being exceptional in any particular way... Which after a couple of weather and bad luck affected game days was just fine by me!

I spent the previous day putting a new roof on my shed (hard work when you're on your own), so basically I didn't have much energy, so I took a fairly slow and steady approach to the games, and didn't weigh myself down with as many guns as usual ...

VFC HK416A5 (GBB)

Double Eagle M906

G&G G36C

TM 5.1 DOR pistol

I used the 416 gas rifle for most of the day except the end of the morning... I thought the accuracy had gone to pot (partly down to a suppressor that seems to be interfering with the flight of the BB) and so I switched to the DE.  Some test firing on the range showed the gun was actually fine (hitting the centre of a tree trunk at a measured 40m multiple times in a row), especially when I switched to 0.40g BBs.  It was a windy day, but with this I got the confidence to roll with it for the rest of the day.  It was, as usual, great fun - every kill  feeling very rewarding.

I intended to switch to the G36. It ran very well in my range testing today, but again it came down to enjoying the nice RoF - but only having two high cap mags I thought I might get a bit frustrated.  A conundrum that can most easily be resolved by buying a couple more mags... Or perhaps selling the gun.  I've got too many that don't get enough use, I think I need to sell to buy another gas gun (perhaps the G&G Lee Enfield No4 or an SMG of some sort)

Nice to see some familiar faces, and made some new friends too.  @Dan Robinson, I hope you're knee gets better, that looked really painful.

Carlos and the team team ran the day well as usual, the usual random newbie kids not taking their hits didn't ruin it, and the afternoon TDM game with super short respawn distance was really rather fun. (My tired body appreciated that most of the spawns were close to the action today)

None of the usual HPAers turned up so my body came through mostly unblemished too.  Which was nice.

Cheers @RostokMcSpoons, the 6th time it popped out was enough to end the day for me.  Usually it resets straight away, but this time it took 2 hours and still isn't quite right this morning.

Shame though because the morning games in the good weather were pretty epic for us on the blue team.  Particularly the raiding of the military items.  We got all of ours pretty quickly when attacking, but on the reversal, the otherside didn't get any as far as I know. Especially funny was when 6 or 7 people were running up a path in the open and 2 or 3 of us just opened up, putting an end to that particular push. 

L85 was rocking again... Although the boy's parting gift was to change the riser for my scope which meant not only was the zeroing totally off, but he didn't tighten the mounting screws enough, so that was a running repair for the morning. 

I didn't think the hit taking was too bad, only one instance I noticed, which in hindsight could have been a flag tied to a tree looking like a protruding leg. 😨 What was frustrating though is when the game relies on constant pushes to keep the other team suppressed, but the younglings and rentals, for obvious reasons, are chilling at respawn shooting themselves or the trees.  

As mentioned though, my knee decided to keep popping out of its joint, to the point where Carlos had to help me walk to a suitable fallen tree to recover, that was the 5th time. Then ironically during lunch, it happened again when I got up for a second helping, and, even when it reset, the pain was too much.  Tried walking back to the war zone for the afternoon session but had to give up.  A couple of kind gents ran  to the game zone to recover my remaining pews and ammo and I went home. 

A bit gutting because a lot of people left at lunch and I assume the smaller numbers made for a more intense afternoon.