Airsoft Forums UK
proffrink

Initial Changes to the Forums and Moderation Team

Firstly, thank fuck for 1.1. I think it's great to see some steps to improve the forum. You guys must have years of ideas to implement. 

In regards to reputation, I think the new emotes have grown on me. I see there's been a new one added, which is good. I'd like to see a "Disagree" one if possible. 

As I've mentioned in the past, I'd like to see new user have to go answer some basic questions about Airsoft in order to post. Like take 3 or 4 points from each pinned post and then make a user read through them and answer correctly in order to submit posts. I think it would cut down on the number of FAQs by up to 100% 

I don't like that only the OP can reply to their own thread in Classifeds. Could it not, instead, be configured to ignore any replies that would 'bump' it to the top and then, if OP wishes to keep the post up, they would have the option available after 7 days that would 'bump' it? Just floating thoughts, I'm no forum dev and haven't got a clue if any of this is even possible. It's just when I buy on this forum I like to see a bit of discussion going on about the gear that's being sold in the thread itself. I don't want to have to go to another area of the forum to talk about it. I can totally get why the change has been made though with 2/3 of moderation time taken up by the classifieds. Tedious..

As @L3wisD has already made the effort into creating a new custom patch, perhaps we should make this the new official forum patch going forward? That is unless you've already got a surplus of the old ones already made. 

Ugh, Discord. I must have 100 servers at least in my list and everybody wants to use their own. Ah well, it's free. Somebody might use it I guess. Could be a good place for  PMs as I've noticed people's inboxes get full now and then. 

It's a small thing, but any chance we could get a profile banner area for custom photos? I'd like to display my pride and joy on my profile but instead it's just a boring black bar. 

1 hour ago, proffrink said:

It's 2018 so every community needs its own Discord that nobody uses and we'll be no different

Made me properly laugh out loud. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this place improve.

In regards to patches, mine were only meant to fill the void of there being no official patch.

I gather proff has quite some experience in patch design in the past, so a new official patch would probably look much better than mine anyway, plus the money generated would actually benefit this place rather than my "at cost" pricing.

And obviously, I've already offered my help in moderating in the past. So the offer still stands. :)

Big thing I forgot to add to the opening post. I've edited it in now.

The old moderation team has been wiped

Almost all of them were inactive so we're rebuilding the team from the ground up (minus Jedi of course, who actually did things). I'm sure they had their reasons and every one will be given honorary 'Supporter' tags, but we need some fresh eyes.

26 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Firstly, thank fuck for 1.1. I think it's great to see some steps to improve the forum. You guys must have years of ideas to implement. 

In regards to reputation, I think the new emotes have grown on me. I see there's been a new one added, which is good. I'd like to see a "Disagree" one if possible. 

As I've mentioned in the past, I'd like to see new user have to go answer some basic questions about Airsoft in order to post. Like take 3 or 4 points from each pinned post and then make a user read through them and answer correctly in order to submit posts. I think it would cut down on the number of FAQs by up to 100% 

I don't like that only the OP can reply to their own thread in Classifeds. Could it not, instead, be configured to ignore any replies that would 'bump' it to the top and then, if OP wishes to keep the post up, they would have the option available after 7 days that would 'bump' it? Just floating thoughts, I'm no forum dev and haven't got a clue if any of this is even possible. It's just when I buy on this forum I like to see a bit of discussion going on about the gear that's being sold in the thread itself. I don't want to have to go to another area of the forum to talk about it. I can totally get why the change has been made though with 2/3 of moderation time taken up by the classifieds. Tedious..

As @L3wisD has already made the effort into creating a new custom patch, perhaps we should make this the new official forum patch going forward? That is unless you've already got a surplus of the old ones already made. 

Ugh, Discord. I must have 100 servers at least in my list and everybody wants to use their own. Ah well, it's free. Somebody might use it I guess. Could be a good place for  PMs as I've noticed people's inboxes get full now and then. 

It's a small thing, but any chance we could get a profile banner area for custom photos? I'd like to display my pride and joy on my profile but instead it's just a boring black bar. 

Thanks. Actually there's not an absolutely huge amount. It's really not an exaggeration when I say that two thirds of the moderating was done in the classifieds section. Being optimistic I think I've just reduced that by about 80% with the two simple changes we've made to posting and bumping. That will bring the moderation load down by about a half (if not more). Other than that the forums are pretty good at the core but many didn't know where they stood with regards to language and their interactions with others. Everybody has much freer reign now, and we'll see how it's used. Most of the longer term stuff though I do have some ideas for - these are more 'new' features than changing what we have though, and will be more transparently proposes to the membership than these initial changes.

Adding a 'disagree' emote is on the cards, but I think it could become a lazy way of expressing your disagreement rather than engaging in discourse. I dare say it'll get its day at some point though to be tried out.

We're looking in ways to poke people towards the right place. Unfortunately there's a correlation between people who're too lazy to use the search and those who won't even bother to read a big banner pointing them to an FAQ. We'll see what we can do about making it more obvious though and - like you say - an FAQ. The secondary issue is maintaining that FAQ.

We could potentially implement this. The issue would then be it cluttering people's new content. Most people leave this at the default despite it being filterable, and certainly for new members it can look like these forums are 70% classifieds (which, by number of posts, they are) but we don't want it to seem that way. The forums attract new members with classifieds but hold onto them through actual meaningful content.

For the patch: We'd likely be releasing a new design. I'm pondering changing the logo itself, but it does have a certain degree of nostalgia. Lewis has been given the ok to sell the ones he has though and - frankly - I have no issue with anyone making any sort of unofficial patch so long as it's not a clear rip-off of a current official design (which doesn't exist yet so open season).

Right now the Discord already exists but Jedi and I are using it to log PMs. Like you I have very little hopes for it taking off but who knows.

Profile banners might be a Supporter thing. I enabled them for supporters yesterday. Depending on how the decision goes on what Supporters should get, we might just enable this site wide.

21 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Made me properly laugh out loud. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing this place improve.

In regards to patches, mine were only meant to fill the void of there being no official patch.

I gather proff has quite some experience in patch design in the past, so a new official patch would probably look much better than mine anyway, plus the money generated would actually benefit this place rather than my "at cost" pricing.

And obviously, I've already offered my help in moderating in the past. So the offer still stands. :)

Thanks.

I think we all appreciate what you did with the patches. This is just bad timing unfortunately as patches is - as you know - something I'd spoken to Devastator a couple of times before. I can tell you now that I don't want any extra money from anything we sell (be it patches or Supporter access - if that happens). The forums already run quite lean despite high traffic. Any excess will feed back in (a big year-ends raffle is one idea we're having right now).

Can't comment on the mod stuff. Jedi's area I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Yippee now I won't have to put up with @Jedi_Master deleting my fucking posts. 

Let me be the first to say congratulations on a new day and to anybody I have offended lately please get fucked :D

Sorry couldn't resist :P

Believe me he was as on board as I with opening things up. I think you might have been worrying him about repetitive strain disorder with the number of times he was having to hit that hide button.

I'm new to the forum, so no idea what it was like before hand. But I do like to see forums that are willing to change rather than stagnate, so well done for taking on the hard task of forum administration/modding to all involved!

I'm not too keen on the no posts in the For Sale section... I see the reasons for it, but I can't help but wonder if it would be easier to simply exclude the whole For Sale sub forum from the default activity stream? 

Looking forward to the changes, the discord comment made me laugh too :rolleyes:

Absolutely brilliant team, thank you

Minimum is 1. We'll see about setting the maximum higher for you, but it's going to be expensive.

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

I'm new to the forum, so no idea what it was like before hand. But I do like to see forums that are willing to change rather than stagnate, so well done for taking on the hard task of forum administration/modding to all involved!

I'm not too keen on the no posts in the For Sale section... I see the reasons for it, but I can't help but wonder if it would be easier to simply exclude the whole For Sale sub forum from the default activity stream? 

Looking forward to the changes, the discord comment made me laugh too :rolleyes:

If there's enough interest we'll look into a more elegant solution. I do see some merit certainly to letting people discuss the details of a gun without bumping it, but I fear it will get cluttered by people commenting on the price.

Yea true, maybe warnings could help with that, but I guess that then puts modding time back up :wacko:

2 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

What is the character limit in a single post ????

That looks about the right length, similar to twitter so keep it TL;DR :P

3 hours ago, Arwen said:

1 hour ago, Arwen said:

Yea true, maybe warnings could help with that, but I guess that then puts modding time back up :wacko:

If the Seller fails to use the provided template, include pictures or price then we have a quick Moderator message.  Anything else can be done by PM. The Mods (currently me) have to read every post in the Classifieds so excluding a sub-forum is not an option. If a member has any reason for concern about a sales /swap post in the Classifieds then they can flag it to Mods by using the Report post button and include a message.

If a seller is being unrealistic in their price, then call them out by using the this topic:

4 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Yippee now I won't have to put up with @Jedi_Master deleting my fucking posts. 

True, there are some sensitive snowflakes out there.  I am going to have a special topic reserved just for you “Trigger’s Geardo and Games Workshop Discussion” ;)  

Posted (edited)

I'll try n keep my posts a bit more concise

though believe me I get a bit miffed going into great involved detail

and wotnot trying to spoon feed & then it goes quiet or little response

(sod the massive thanks but a bit of feedback if after all that to lmk if crap helps)

couple of times I responded to seller post

ICS I ended up buying but "nothing in there" - how the heck was trigger suspended

( & then it went up £10 so should have kept mouth shut I guess )

L3wis RA motor suggestion of £20 cash at Mall instead of £23 posted

(just a genuine suggestion to save cash/hassle for both seller/buyer)

But will acknowledge to using PM's in future on sales stuff - my bad

( accept the bumps n stuff can get out of hand & rules are rules ( soz) )

Swearing - well I'll probably keep **ing $hit out a bit - more out of habit I guess

Soz if I act the prat at times, too many take stuff way way too seriously

Other than that thanks to admin/mods & all those decent mofo members

Just glad there is a fairly relaxed chilled out place for us saddo toy gun freaks

Great you are open to improvements, but it was pretty decent anyway tbh

Kudos to you two & all others on here as well - no seriously, thanks again sir

Edited by Sitting Duck

I like it. If you need someone to troll through classified I generally read through every single one (I'm safe to browse as I know its literally impossible to buy any of the stuff I see haha), so if you need someone to work there I could do it

Nice changes. Now I can swear without that asterix nonsense popping up. 

I have been a member of many different forums over the years however each end up failing due to them stagnating over the years.

However looking at the above post it looks like this forum will keep going as we are willing to move it along. And stop it from stagnating.

Glad for the changes, this place is useful for info and I like the community here. Met a few players and everyone so far has been sound, and im socially awkward so if I like you, you must be half decent :D 

The posts merging into one if you post in 30 mins may cause some issues, on some popular threads where a lot of dialogue happens and lots of people quoting each other and asking questions the posts will not read correctly if multiple posts are merged and will be confusing for all to see the flow of posts? or am i missing something??

Ah there you go... Makes total sense :)

Testing the above theory ;)  (will it merge or wont it).......

ok it does :P 

Me likey!

Ah you ruined my third merge!! :(

With the classifieds being much more active than before, especially since another forums has closed, do you not think that only one bump per 7 days is too long? I came back to find my For Sale thread on page 3 or 4 after only a week a while ago. 

There are a few things now related to the classifieds that I'd like to put to a vote to give people an opportunity to change stuff like this. I don't feel that it would be fair for me alone to make this kind of decision.

Hopefully the new formatting of the classifieds will mean less of an emphasis required on bumping and more on having a nice first picture to show up in the wall of thumbnails.

I'll put up some of those polls in a few days once people have a feel for the next system.

6 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Hopefully the new formatting of the classifieds will mean less of an emphasis required on bumping and more on having a nice first picture to show up in the wall of thumbnails.

But then where would the pixelated, compressed .jpgs taken on a phone (in portrait mode) in the dark with a light behind the item go?