The Whisk(e)y thread

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm a Whiskey drinker, always have been. Plain and simple, (not that I advocate underage drinking but lets be honest most of us did it) even since I was young.

Being only 18, as you can imagine I'm exactly the stereotypical 50 something in a silk kimono sat in his study, but neither will most of you be; and it's dawned on me, I have no one to discuss whiskey with, nor do I know anyone else who drinks it!

So, what are you drinking, and how are you drinking it? Are you enjoying it? Would you recommend the drink? Give it a rating out of 10 and a bit of critique! Ask questions, let us know your usual and what you plan to try so we can help each other on our way to enjoying the finest the world has to offer!

Currently, I'm drinking Jack Daniels Old No. 2, neat with no ice.Somewhat harsh, don't know if it's been improperly stored or something but this particular bottle is nothing like any of the No.2 I've drank prior - but it was a present and I'd rather it be drank than go to waste. 6/10. Not the worst I've had nor the worst, good for a cheap dram.

I've currently got a taste for JD Tennessee Honey for its slightly sweeter bite, but I do have a taste for a nice smooth single malt, Aldi currently have a couple of fine looking single malt Scotch's, an Islay and a Jura, so hoping to try one over the festive season. :)

Heathen that I am, I only ever drink whiskey it with lemonade. But then I'm not really a big spirits drinker, I tend to prefer (preferably Czech) lager, which isn't especially strong, but has a good flavour.

Ah don't worry Chock, I know an old Irish man who drinks his Whiskey with lemonade too so its authentic ;) I wish I got on with beer, I'd save money on nights out! Somehow I can drink whiskey like water but 2-3 beers and I'm falling about like a right tool! Guinness and Heineken don't seem to do it to me though, thankfully they're the only two I've liked the taste of so far anyway!

I've currently got a taste for JD Tennessee Honey for its slightly sweeter bite, but I do have a taste for a nice smooth single malt, Aldi currently have a couple of fine looking single malt Scotch's, an Islay and a Jura, so hoping to try one over the festive season. :)

I second the JD Honey, I wasn't too keen on it when it first came out I must admit as it was a overly popular with the hipsters from college. However the taste has grown on me, it makes a refreshing difference! Had it in a cocktail on my 18th, I think it must have been the mint in it but it brought out a whole new side to the JD. Not in a good way either, was overpowering! Brought back the "my lungs are burning" feeling I hadn't had since "rescuing" a bottle of at least 50 year old brandy from the back of a cupboard when I was 13 :rolleyes::lol:

as a teetotaller, are there any non alcoholic alternatives? or other liquids suitable to consume while smoking cigar?

(please quote my post if you answer, I'm otherwise unlikely to ever open this thread again)

Jack is not whiskey, it is bourbon, a very different thing indeed, a far better alternative to Jack is Wild Turkey, far better and smoother than JD without the incipid after taste

I currently have a 45 year old bottle of single barrel Talisker open which is drunk straight with literally a drop or 2 of water to release the true flavours but people should drink anything the way they best enjoy it, puritans who declare it is heracy to drink with mixers should grow up and enjoy it for what it is

• Supporters

i have a thing for old pulteney, straight ... :wub:

but if i am honest i am drinking Russian standard vodka these days, 50/50 with water (zero hangover usually)

i do like a captains Morgans spiced ... with any thing :wub:

• Supporters

Currently, I'm drinking Jack Daniels Old No. 2, neat with no ice.Somewhat harsh, don't know if it's been improperly stored or something but this particular bottle is nothing like any of the No.2 I've drank prior - but it was a present and I'd rather it be drank than go to waste. 6/10. Not the worst I've had nor the worst, good for a cheap dram.

Sorry - do you mean Old No.7? The only No2 they do is from the Master Distiller series.

• Supporters

Jack is not whiskey, it is bourbon, a very different thing indeed, a far better alternative to Jack is Wild Turkey, far better and smoother than JD without the incipid after taste

I currently have a 45 year old bottle of single barrel Talisker open which is drunk straight with literally a drop or 2 of water to release the true flavours but people should drink anything the way they best enjoy it, puritans who declare it is heracy to drink with mixers should grow up and enjoy it for what it is

Jack is NOT a bourbon. Jack Daniels is a Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey. The process is slightly different than making bourbon as it includes an extra stage (the Lincoln County Process) which involves filtration through charcoal prior to ageing. Wild Turkey is indeed a bourbon (as are Jim Beam and the far superior - in my opinion at least - Makers Mark).

If you like Jack Daniels try Canadian Club - mellower and similar.

As an Irishman anything that isnt triple distilled is heresy to me. I like a drop of 16 year old Bushmills single malt with a drop of water to relaease flavour.

• Supporters

If you like Jack Daniels try Canadian Club - mellower and similar.

As an Irishman anything that isnt triple distilled is heresy to me. I like a drop of 16 year old Bushmills single malt with a drop of water to relaease flavour.

Might try that.

I like Black Bush myself. Tried to visit the Bushmills Distillery while I was working over there but it was shut (on a Sunday - no shocker there I guess).

• Supporters

The finest drop i've tasted is the Talisker, but i'm done these days: my liver is fucked so i can't have even a teaspoon full.

The Talisker has a really deep and multi-layered flavour, but I'm not into putting water in it - just sip it in tiny amounts at first, so it just absorbs into your tongue and then inhale through your nose with your mouth open. But once you get going, lash it down. Your whole upper body seems to become infused with flavours of it and the buzz off it is nice too - a silly drunk, not maudlin or aggressive. How to actually describe the flavours though? Words like "peaty" don't have much meaning to me - I wouldn't know peat from compost, but there are tones of earthiness to it and wet trees in rain near the coast, like storm rain, ozone maybe, and complex sweetnesses, sort of like how black bread tastes sweet after chewing a mouthful of dark green salad.

Gordon Bennet I wish I could have a drop of it again :lol: I'll have to get some for when I know i'm going to die.

Good luck finding 16 year old Bushmills - you can only usually get it from the Distillery, we send the rubbish to you English lot ;p

• Supporters

as a teetotaller, are there any non alcoholic alternatives? or other liquids suitable to consume while smoking cigar?

(please quote my post if you answer, I'm otherwise unlikely to ever open this thread again)

A chap I used to work with was really into his cigars and used to talk about how some people drank coke with them. I think it was only with certain cigars where it was meant to compliment the flavour.

Having worked for 10 years in the drinks industry I've tried quite a few different brands of Whisky. The best was in the boardroom at Bells, where we were offered some very expensive single malts with our lunch. But without spending a fortune on a bottle, I prefer Grants as a general blended for everyday (or rather every night) drinking and it's stablemate single malt Balvenie Doublewood (or Triple Cask) for those occasions when something a little better is called for. I will also drink Glenfiddich, but compared to Balvenie it is a bit bland, except if you can get hold of a bottle of 25yo, when it's much better, but bl**dy expensive.

A chap I used to work with was really into his cigars and used to talk about how some people drank coke with them. I think it was only with certain cigars where it was meant to compliment the flavour.

hmn.. heard that once before but didn't take it too seriously, might have to find out which and give it a shot!

Thanks!!

Dickels is the Jack Daniels equivalent to Makers Mark and Wild Turkey, all three of which are premium US spirits (Dickels own the JD brand).

For me I became an Islay fan by the time I was 18 (many moons ago), and while I've rarely drunk whisky for the last 15-20 years I still have a bottle of Laphroaig, though I used to prefer Ardberg.

• Supporters

There's a pub/hotel on the Isle of Wight called The White Mouse which has an amazing collection of whisk(e)y, if anyone ever fancies trying a whole load of exotics in one night.

Best whisky I ever had was Glenfarclas 105. At the time it was the strongest Scotch you could get so when I found a pub that had it, I just had to try it. I have only really ever had Scottish whisky with one exception, Royal Canadian, which I must say I liked a lot. These days though I hardly ever drink spirits of any kind.

As for what to drink with a cigar if you're teetotal, strong coffee should do the job. I don't know if Waitrose still have their cuban coffee as I no longer live near to a Waitrose, but that should do the job :)

• Supporters

Coffee needs it's own thread!

Sorry - do you mean Old No.7? The only No2 they do is from the Master Distiller series.

I believe you may be right , it was a minitature bottle and I could have sworn it said no.2 but in my mind describing it as cheap I assumed it was no.7.

The e is subjective James, whiskey is Irish, Whisky is Scottish.

I realised there were 2 spellings but never knew that. . . thanks for enlightening me! Also "Whisky" comes from the gaelic word "Uisge", "Uisge Beatha" meaning "water of life".

The finest drop i've tasted is the Talisker, but i'm done these days: my liver is f*cked so i can't have even a teaspoon full.

The Talisker has a really deep and multi-layered flavour, but I'm not into putting water in it - just sip it in tiny amounts at first, so it just absorbs into your tongue and then inhale through your nose with your mouth open. But once you get going, lash it down. Your whole upper body seems to become infused with flavours of it and the buzz off it is nice too - a silly drunk, not maudlin or aggressive. How to actually describe the flavours though? Words like "peaty" don't have much meaning to me - I wouldn't know peat from compost, but there are tones of earthiness to it and wet trees in rain near the coast, like storm rain, ozone maybe, and complex sweetnesses, sort of like how black bread tastes sweet after chewing a mouthful of dark green salad.

Gordon Bennet I wish I could have a drop of it again :lol: I'll have to get some for when I know i'm going to die.

Bought a bottle of Talisker (aged 10 years - think they all are on the shelf but just in case it makes a difference) yesterday and tried it with a little ice.

Initial reaction "WTF is this, eurgh it's like mold dissolved in paint thinner!" , tried another sip, realized 6 am is too early to be drinking such a drink on an empty stomach, poured it down the sink. I have been up all night wanting to try it though, was too lazy to go and get it from the kitchen.

Though sitting here, reading reviews to check whether I got a dud bottle or this was general consensus, I noticed a few reviews describing the taste; as I thought about it and got remnants of taste from my tongue, the little boxes in my head ticked off one by one to confirm what they were describing and it was a bit more palatable then. I think it'll be best after a meal, Mackerel or Steak spring to mind. It's not like anything I've tasted before and definitely has a lot of levels to it.

Personally, I don't see it being my go to drink, but I'm hoping it'll grow on me.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.