Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

Oh balls, searched for 'dboys rail' on ebay and I swear that didn't come up...

Ah well nevermind, if the cheap ones turn out to be no good I'll get those instead. Cheers :)

• Supporters

Let me clarify what I'm getting at, I understand how vests work in an airsoft sense, they're lightweight and allow you to carry resources in an effective way.

But in military terms why do they exist when plate carriers do the same thing but have the ability to take armour?

Or are there some situations where military forces use tactical vests instead of armoured options?

I many situations a plate carrier can be a hindrance and slow the person down (extra weight, reduced mobility etc etc), and there expensive.

so in certain circumstances (such as training) a tactical vest is far more beneficial.

^ Thanks for that, £25 seemed a bit steep and couldn't find a foreign retailer who sold them so I got those (possibly) clone ones instead, will see how they turn out.

Next question:

This might seem like a bit of a daft one, but please bear with my ignorance.

It's been bugging me for a while now, what's the point in tactical vests?

I'm presuming that military forces will always be wearing plate carriers which will generally have molle on it, so where do vests without the ability to take armour fit in?

Greenside ops, LRRP's would be one use id imagine

Just a real quick UKARA question! When I went to my first skirmish last week and was signing in (my site requires that under 18s must be signed in by an adult), I saw people getting their stamps for UKARA. If I was to get one of my parents, when signing me in, to get a stamp and after the 3 games over the 2 months period gain a UKARA membership, would this be ok? I could then obtain a RIF as it would be a gift from one of my Parents. Not sure if I was very clear, so sorry if I'm not. :rolleyes:

Logically that would seem to be okay, since a UKARA registration's function is to ensure that a retailer is selling a RIF to someone who is using it for airsofting, and that is ultimately what you would be doing, but in regards to granting registrations, the UKARA site does actually state that 'to become UKARA registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games'. So unless you get your parents to do that, then technically it's outside of the requirements for a registration.

Having said that, I would ask at the site itself. I'm pretty sure they'd tell you the same thing I have, but if you don't ask then you can't know for sure if they'd say it was a no-no. However, consider this...

It isn't actually a legal requirement for someone buying a RIF to have a UKARA registration at all, since all a UKARA registration is, is a convenient way for a retailer to check if the RIF which they sell is going to be used for one of the legitimate purposes listed in the VCR Act (i.e. for airsoft games). The UKARA scheme is not mentioned at all in the text of the VCR Act and is in no way a 'license', although it is mentioned in the VCR Act's guidelines. So if a retailer can be absolutely sure that a RIF which they sell is going to be used in that way, then it is not illegal for them to supply it. An example of where that would be entirely legitimate, is if you were a regular at a site which had a shop, and your parent came in with you and said they wanted to buy a RIF for you as a present. The shop staff could be certain that it was a legitimate sale because they would have seen you regularly skirmishing and would therefore know that the RIF was going to be used for a legitimate purpose, and in fact that would actually be a bit more sound in terms of legality than checking a UKARA number, since how can a retailer really know that someone has not simply gone to three skirmishes, got registered, bought a RIF, and then never gone skirmishing again, nor has any intention of ever doing so again?

What would not be okay, is if you gave a parent the money so that they could buy it for you, since it has to be a gift, but of course who would know if that had occurred?

Logically that would seem to be okay, since a UKARA registration's function is to ensure that a retailer is selling a RIF to someone who is using it for airsofting, and that is ultimately what you would be doing, but in regards to granting registrations, the UKARA site does actually state that 'to become UKARA registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games'. So unless you get your parents to do that, then technically it's outside of the requirements for a registration.

Having said that, I would ask at the site itself. I'm pretty sure they'd tell you the same thing I have, but if you don't ask then you can't know for sure if they'd say it was a no-no. However, consider this...

It isn't actually a legal requirement for someone buying a RIF to have a UKARA registration at all, since all a UKARA registration is, is a convenient way for a retailer to check if the RIF which they sell is going to be used for one of the legitimate purposes listed in the VCR Act (i.e. for airsoft games). The UKARA scheme is not mentioned at all in the text of the VCR Act and is in no way a 'license', although it is mentioned in the VCR Act's guidelines. So if a retailer can be absolutely sure that a RIF which they sell is going to be used in that way, then it is not illegal for them to supply it. An example of where that would be entirely legitimate, is if you were a regular at a site which had a shop, and your parent came in with you and said they wanted to buy a RIF for you as a present. The shop staff could be certain that it was a legitimate sale because they would have seen you regularly skirmishing and would therefore know that the RIF was going to be used for a legitimate purpose, and in fact that would actually be a bit more sound in terms of legality than checking a UKARA number, since how can a retailer really know that someone has not simply gone to three skirmishes, got registered, bought a RIF, and then never gone skirmishing again, nor has any intention of ever doing so again?

What would not be okay, is if you gave a parent the money so that they could buy it for you, since it has to be a gift, but of course who would know if that had occurred?

Ok I'll ask when I go next week. My site does have a shop but unfortunately they only sell weapon accessories and pyros. ^_^

You could possibly ask if a skirmish site staff member who knows you and your parent are regulars at the site can verify that fact with a local airsoft shop. Not sure if they would do that, nor if a shop would accept that as proof that the sale of a RIF was for use as an airsoft skirmish weapon, although it would be entirely legal for them to sell a RIF in that way so long as they were sure of that proof, so there's no harm in asking.

• Supporters

Let me clarify what I'm getting at, I understand how vests work in an airsoft sense, they're lightweight and allow you to carry resources in an effective way.

But in military terms why do they exist when plate carriers do the same thing but have the ability to take armour?

Or are there some situations where military forces use tactical vests instead of armoured options?

Vests existed before body armour, plus when armour first appeared it was much more bulky than Level 4 SAPI plates and would not fit inside the frame of a vest. So for eg when the British Army were issued the type of body armour which is basically a DPM cover over a Kevlar gillet, with pockets for a special shape and composition of ceramic plate over the heart, front and back, they would use a mesh framed assault vest over the top of it, purely for load carrying, or an NI chest rig, which is lighter than a full vest and was worn for patrols where the duration of time outside the base was sure to be less than that for which you may need the carrying capacity of a full vest.

There are also times when soldiers who are not combat troops need to carry a bunch of stuff but don't want the bulk or heat of carrying armour. Nonetheless vests without armour do have a defensive function in that they support the body and hold everything inside, so if someone gets shot while wearing one, the cavitation injury caused by the air sucked into the entrance wound does not cause such a massive exit wound and suck half the victim's giblets out through it.

There are also times when soldiers who are not combat troops need to carry a bunch of stuff but don't want the bulk or heat of carrying armour.

Tank/vehicle crews, pilots/aircrew etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Just a real quick UKARA question! When I went to my first skirmish last week and was signing in (my site requires that under 18s must be signed in by an adult), I saw people getting their stamps for UKARA. If I was to get one of my parents, when signing me in, to get a stamp and after the 3 games over the 2 months period gain a UKARA membership, would this be ok? I could then obtain a RIF as it would be a gift from one of my Parents. Not sure if I was very clear, so sorry if I'm not. :rolleyes:

Short answer:

http://www.ukara.org.uk/player-registration.php

No, you MUST be 18 years of age in order to be added to the UKARA database.

You can't have someone else on the database as proxy for you, kinda defeats the point of the whole thing.

I'm charging a 7.4v 2200 mAh LiPo using an Accucel 6. It's set on balance at 2 Amps and using 2 cell(7.4). However when charging it the cell voltages were showing as ~4v after 5 minutes or so. Is this ok/normal?

yeah its fine, i was thinking the same at the start but mine is a 2600mah and it goes to 8.4v max. Btw if you put the settings in correct the accucel will auto stop after its fully charged, I find it great

anyone know where i can get a replacement set of lips for an asg mk23 mag (TM clone)

i cannot seem to find any in the uk :(

edit, soz reposted in error, reply is in next post lol :)

anyone know where i can get a replacement set of lips for an asg mk23 mag (TM clone)

i cannot seem to find any in the uk :(

Try Firesupport, they do a lot of ASG spares but couldn't see the part on a quick search but I'm sure could get them. Failing that they do spare mags £21 (in stock).

edit they do have mk23 GBB lips in stock but I suspect they could be different to the NBB lips you need.

• Supporters

Try Firesupport, they do a lot of ASG spares but couldn't see the part on a quick search but I'm sure could get them. Failing that they do spare mags £21 (in stock).

edit they do have mk23 GBB lips in stock but I suspect they could be different to the NBB lips you need.

thanks for that straffham, unfortunately the gbb lips do look different ... ill fire them an email just incase

• Supporters

It's the same as the Marui M9 Beretta mag lips (just the lips, not the whole mag.)

thanks mate, are they the same as the WE ones? as i can only find WE M9 lips :wacko:

I bought a Strike M16 carry handle scope mount, to find it dissapointingly doesn't fit RIS accessories, scope mount fits so technically does what it says on the tin.

Anyone know of an M16 carry-handle rail that does fit RIS stuff?

I bought a Strike M16 carry handle scope mount, to find it dissapointingly doesn't fit RIS accessories, scope mount fits so technically does what it says on the tin.

Anyone know of an M16 carry-handle rail that does fit RIS stuff?

I'm not too sure what you're trying to say? You've bought a Dovetail one or something accidentally but need Picatinny?

You can get em off AirsoftPeak for $6 anyway if you can wait for one.

Sorry I'm on tablet at the moment so can't change the colour right now.

I'm not too sure what you're trying to say? You've bought a Dovetail one or something accidentally but need Picatinny?

You can get em off AirsoftPeak for $6 anyway if you can wait for one.

Sorry I'm on tablet at the moment so can't change the colour right now.

What i bought looked like Picatinny with dovetail on top, but wasn't picatinny so i thought it must be weaver, but the measurements dont match that either. Think it's just a bit o crap made to probably fit a scope mount in some generic fashion.

Will give airsoft peak a look thanks

• Supporters

What i bought looked like Picatinny with dovetail on top, but wasn't picatinny so i thought it must be weaver, but the measurements dont match that either. Think it's just a bit o crap made to probably fit a scope mount in some generic fashion.

Will give airsoft peak a look thanks

M4%20HANDLE%20MOUNT.JPG

That one? That's a multirail type mount. The wider part is 20mm for Picatinny style the narrow top bit is for dovetail style bits.

If you just want a RIS rail then have a look at the first one here - £6 job done http://ant-supplies.co.uk/Pages/CarryHandleRailMounts.aspx

That one? That's a multirail type mount. The wider part is 20mm for Picatinny style the narrow top bit is for dovetail style bits.

If you just want a RIS rail then have a look at the first one here - £6 job done http://ant-supplies.co.uk/Pages/CarryHandleRailMounts.aspx

Yeah looks like it, but the dovetail is too high and stops any of the accessories clamping onto the edges properly.

I'll consider that one too as ordering within uk will be easier, although says it's weaver not picatinny, will have to check how wide the bars that fit in the gaps are on my scopes etc, whatever they're called