Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

• Supporters

(sent from phone)

what is best way of looking after steel receivers to prevent rust forming in nooks and crannies? When I used air rifles it was a rag with generic "gun oil", any better ideas out there?

You could seal the metal with a clear lacquer, but the surface will not look as nice as oiled steel. Oiling up is hardly a laborious task anyway and you only have to do it once in a blue moon - it's not as if it will get hot enough to evaporate/burn the oil off.

I'm hopefully going to be purchasing this rifle soon, looks good! http://www.airsoftworld.net/g-g-gc16-30th-anniversary-limited-edition-aeg-airsoft-rifle-black.html

Recommended for it is a Vapex 9.6v 1600mAh NiMH mini crane stock battery, but is this the best possible battery that this gun could use or would anyone else recommend any different batteries? Any guidance would be appreciated! Hoping to also get some accessories and a couple of spare mags for it also! :D

I'm hopefully going to be purchasing this rifle soon, looks good! http://www.airsoftworld.net/g-g-gc16-30th-anniversary-limited-edition-aeg-airsoft-rifle-black.html

Recommended for it is a Vapex 9.6v 1600mAh NiMH mini crane stock battery, but is this the best possible battery that this gun could use or would anyone else recommend any different batteries? Any guidance would be appreciated! Hoping to also get some accessories and a couple of spare mags for it also! :D

Look at batteries on Component-Shop. Idk about the best but on there any of the brands should be good.

• Supporters

what ammo do you use, and wheres the best place to get it from, i am wary of using ebay as you cant guarantee the quality half the time

Blaster .25's mainly, but also their .2's in some guns. Blaster Devil .3's in my SVD (although I am about to change the hop rubber because I want to use Welts .4's).

If you are using a stock AEG then you can get slightly better accuracy at long range from heavier ammo, but air conditions will still be the biggest factor, so in truth volume of fire is still your best bet of getting a hit in moving air. In still air the difference isn't relevant since it is not bigger than a man sized target. You have to weigh up the cost/benefit. Try a few weights and brands in your gun/s and see what works best for you.

TBH though, unless you upgrade your hop rubber, hop nub, and inner barrel, there really isn't much point spending a lot on BB's. You're likely to settle into firing in groups of 2-3 shots (and the 2nd /+ 3rd before the 1st has reached/missed the target), for all sorts of reasons, and whether only 1, or 2, or all 3 hit doesn't matter - you've fired 2-3 BB's to get 1 hit - at average skirmishing ranges BB King or P&J will hit a man sized target just as well as Blaster, but they can be just over half the price. The main reason I've stopped buying BB King is because I want to support my local site and buying BB's from them is a way to do it.

Patrol Base are worth looking at for bundle prices on 3 bottles of Blasters/Blaster Devils, as well as stocking a few more exotic brands - Bastards for eg, which have a very good reputation.

• Supporters

VapexTech have their own ebay store now - their prices are cheaper than componentshop when you factor in P&P.

You may have read that a 7.4V LiPo will equal a 9.6V NiMh in performance. This may be true of crap NiMh's but a Vapex 9.6V will outperform even a good quality (Turnigy) 7.4V LiPo. To get the best out of 7.4V LiPo's you have to upgrade the wiring loom to heavier gauge (16AWG) and fit a MOSFET, then their ability to ramp up from 0mA to peak current output can produce a faster initial trigger response, even than a Vapex 9.6V NiMh, although the higher voltage of the NiMh will still produce a faster full gearbox cycle when timed from the moment of trigger pull to the moment the piston is released to fire the BB. The lower voltage, higher current LiPo with a low resistance wiring loom and MOSFET does feel snappier though, because there's less of a 'lurch' in the first few milliseconds when the motor first begins to move...

My advice is to get the Vapex 9.6V and a smart charger from their ebay shop for now. If you get into tinkering with your guns, you can always go LiPo later. Just a word on insuring your skirmish days don't end up in disappointment though: having a spare fully charged battery is always a good idea - they can get damaged / you may forget to charge them / a mate's battery may go down / etc

what ammo do you use, and wheres the best place to get it from, i am wary of using ebay as you cant guarantee the quality half the time

I buy .25 blasters from ebay. One of the cheapest around, 8 pounds for the devil blasters which normally goes for like 13+ i think. they are sealed so you know they haven't been opened, and the seller does next day i think...

So I'm getting this rifle for xmas - http://www.airsoftworld.net/g-g-gc16-30th-anniversary-limited-edition-aeg-airsoft-rifle-black.html and I'm planning on doing some aesthetic upgrades to it (just simple stuff). ^_^ One upgrade I want to do is to change the handguard to this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magpul-PTS-MOE-Mid-Length-Hand-Guard-Olive-Drab-MAGPUL-PT055450340-/291001935784?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item43c11127a8. From reviews it looks durable and at least it's better than the stock handguard! However, I'm unsure if it'll fit the rifle I'm getting and if there will be space to house the battery. Can anyone confirm my suspicion? :o

• Supporters

So I'm getting this rifle for xmas - http://www.airsoftworld.net/g-g-gc16-30th-anniversary-limited-edition-aeg-airsoft-rifle-black.html and I'm planning on doing some aesthetic upgrades to it (just simple stuff). ^_^ One upgrade I want to do is to change the handguard to this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magpul-PTS-MOE-Mid-Length-Hand-Guard-Olive-Drab-MAGPUL-PT055450340-/291001935784?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item43c11127a8. From reviews it looks durable and at least it's better than the stock handguard! However, I'm unsure if it'll fit the rifle I'm getting and if there will be space to house the battery. Can anyone confirm my suspicion? :o

I don't know if it will fit without modification, but I wonder why you're getting the limited edition wombat machine if you're going to change the handguards anyway - may as well just get a plain CM from Zero One cheaper.

I don't know if it will fit without modification, but I wonder why you're getting the limited edition wombat machine if you're going to change the handguards anyway - may as well just get a plain CM from Zero One cheaper.

Well I'm debating between this and the CM18. Personally I prefer the look of the limited edition GC16 with the MagPul style handguard. The reason I wanted to upgrade the handguard is because I've seen reviews stating that the handguard wobbles and feels cheap. I've heard a lot of good stuff regarding the CM18, yet I'm not a fan of just pure rails.

I'd go for the Anniversary Edition, it has a metal receiver whereas the standard CM16 doesn't.

And of course it's kinda special since there are only 10,000 in existence.

Externally I think it looks a lot better, not sure if internals are any different.

But thing is why change the handguard for a clone magpul one? I mean, the handguard you already get is basically a copy of it, so it's going to probably feel similar anyway.

And when you mention the reviews do you mean of the genuine Magpul one or the £14 one..?

• Supporters

Ah I didn't realise the anniversary one had the metal receiver.

Question: Is there any courier who accepts lipos?

Recently ordered one for my aep from airsoftworld that arrived broken. Ups won't ship it (unless it's a business customer), myhermes won't, Royal Mail won't... At my wits end since it's £17 down the drain if I can't get it returned to be replaced.

-on my phone so can't edit text to be blue.

I'd go for the Anniversary Edition, it has a metal receiver whereas the standard CM16 doesn't.

And of course it's kinda special since there are only 10,000 in existence.

Externally I think it looks a lot better, not sure if internals are any different.

But thing is why change the handguard for a clone magpul one? I mean, the handguard you already get is basically a copy of it, so it's going to probably feel similar anyway.

And when you mention the reviews do you mean of the genuine Magpul one or the £14 one..?

I do like the Limited Edition one and that's the one I'll probably end up going for (I also like the full metal '30th Anniversary' stamped receiver)! What I meant was that from reviews of this gun, people have said that it is amazing however the handguard on it feels cheap, it wobbles and the rails on it can chip. I'm obviously not going to replace it straight away and I may not even end up replacing it at all; I was just looking to see what other, more durable handguards will fit if this is the case. :)

• Supporters

Question: Is there any courier who accepts lipos?

Recently ordered one for my aep from airsoftworld that arrived broken. Ups won't ship it (unless it's a business customer), myhermes won't, Royal Mail won't... At my wits end since it's £17 down the drain if I can't get it returned to be replaced.

-on my phone so can't edit text to be blue.

I think that RM do ship LiPo's but they have a limit on the number of cells you can post in one parcel.

From the Royal mail website.

Batteries - new alkaline metal, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) or nickel cadmium (NiCd)

Including D, C, 9V, AA, AAA and AAAA alkaline batteries. Must be new and sent unopened in their original retail packaging. Surround with cushioning material e.g. bubble wrap. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Batteries - lithium ion/polymer batteries sent with, but not connected to, an electronic device

The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the number that may be connected to the equipment plus two spares. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be packed in inner packagings that completely enclose the cell or battery. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit, including protection against contact with conductive materials within the same packaging that could lead to a short circuit. The equipment sent with cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation.

Sent from phone)

How long is an Angled Fore Grip (AFG)? Grateful if someone can measure overall length and let me know? (Fitting a rail to my AKS74U and considering one but not sure if one will fit).

Cheers guys!

Sent from phone)

How long is an Angled Fore Grip (AFG)? Grateful if someone can measure overall length and let me know? (Fitting a rail to my AKS74U and considering one but not sure if one will fit).

Cheers guys!

Just measured mine, its about 12cm

Can anyone recommend me a good sight for my rifle? I've looked at the WE 881 holographic sight and Aimpoint T1 sight so far. Has anyone had experience with these? I'd say my budget is about £50 :D