Scammers

Just throwing this out in a devil’s advocate kind of way:

If you enforced a post count and a scammer abides, would we then be giving them some kind of false legitimacy? A questionable PM from a new user is a slam dunk, you might think a bit longer if they’ve got 50 posts.

All buyer beware at the end of the day though.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Madhouse said:

If you enforced a post count and a scammer abides, would we then be giving them some kind of false legitimacy?

A fully-fledged bastard of a good point.

90kg8e.jpg

• Moderators

The way I see it, a country or regional ban would potentially lock out a large percentage of scammers, & it's not that drastic when you consider the number of viable posts we get from the likes of china/india/Russia etc etc, pretty much zero.

Then add add a post count before classifieds access is granted, again that would deter many, but even if some are persistent & attempt to spam posts or waffle about airsoft, it's likely we'd soon weed them out by their lack of knowledge & possible poor grammar  ?.

That then just leaves the relatively small number of uk based scammers who play, or at least used to,  think Steven Glennie etc, who may have the knowledge, but probably not the persistence to try to accomplish the post count access, but it's a lot of work to get there knowing your first dodgy deal would probably get you banned & back to square one, which will hopefully be made more difficult by members keeping their wits about them when it comes to paying for stuff, ALWAYS GOODS & SERVICES VIA PAYPAL, & if its swaps, insist that whoever has the lower feedback needs to send their item first. 

3 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

It’s about to get worse!

Discord has banned the sales of anything gun shaped!

Our classifieds are going to get busier!! 

Any clarification on this? 

I run an airsoft discord 

With VPNs being so common would country or region specific bans actually do anything?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

With VPNs being so common would country or region specific bans actually do anything?

Possibly not, maybe the less technically minded jizzbuckets will be kept out ?, but then the post count limit would hopefully befuddle those using vpn's,  to be fair whoever thought that an airsoft forum would be a good place to offer the services of a witchdoctor & his potions, but doesn'tstop them trying.

Multi layered is the way to go, just like irl, make your place look more secure & less attractive than your neighbours,  so the scrotes go elsewhere........send em to zin, they need the business lol 😆 

Tbh I hadn't even considered the voodoo witch doctor stuff as to me that's more of an annoyance as it's pretty obvious they're bullshit and they usually just spam all sections rather than sticking to the classifieds. Admin do a pretty good of removing them quickly too but if they're unable to spam the forum anyway then that can only be a good thing.

I agree that any approach needs to be multi layered and there's no 1 magic solution. As I've posted before the best deterrent to scammers is for all users to use common sense, stay vigilant and, possibly most importantly, call it out when they smell bullshit.

12 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

It’s about to get worse!

Discord has banned the sales of anything gun shaped!

Our classifieds are going to get busier!! 

Annoyed that this has happened. I'm in a few Discords and all but one of the smaller ones have suspended their sales channels. They were a great place to hang out and casually chat with people or ask for advice. I suspect without the sales channels being active they'll die off pretty quickly.

Isn’t scamming the second oldest ocuppation? 

Sadly money brings out the worst in people. I’ve been lucky I think but I always try to communicate with people offline as well, if they have a mobile number great but not always fool proof. 

I think the ratings system works well and if people actually contribute on the forum is a green flag. 

But as always buyer beware, do your due diligence and if it’s too good to be true it likely is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also got one, thought I would send an email and see if I can gather more information. Haven't received a reply yet though.

Screenshot 2024-09-04 150950.png

There's some guy on YouTube who leaves fake packages on his doorstep for people to steal.  The boxes are spring loaded to fire glitter and fart spray when opened. We need to send this guy something similar 

Edited by Cannonfodder

20 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

There's some guy on YouTube who leaves fake packages on his doorstep for people to steal.  The boxes are spring loaded to fire glitter and fart spray when opened. We need to send this guy something similar 

Can it fire COVID at him? 

Probably. I think the bloke on YouTube sticks with glitter and fart spray to keep things legal 

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

Mark Rober, he's a bloody legend.