Inner Barrel Cleaning.

Just a quick count of heads, does anyone here actually remove their inner barrel and hop unit to clean it?

Yes. 

Yes

Depends on the gun. Something like a basic LCT AK would take it out. The Tavor when I had it, I tended to leave it in while I did so. The latter took a near total disassembly to get at the inner barrel.  In contrast the G&G FN2000 was an absolute pleasure to get at those components.

So If I had say three aegs. Would take out the barrel and unit for two of them to clean.

Wait, you guys clean your barrels?

But normally, yes ideally I’d remove the barrel from the replica unless like above it’s some god awful process of a whole disassembly to get to it.

I offer up the cleaning rod to the hop unit on the outside of the gun, mark off the rod with a sharpie where it meets the muzzle, and then use that as a guide to make sure that I don't push the patch through the hop unit - so I don't tend to remove the barrel and hop to clean. Instead its such a quick and easy process that I tend to clean before and after each game. I have occasionally gently cleaned the hop rubber too with it in situ in the gun, turning the hop fully off, and using a patch cut slightly smaller, but don't tend to find this is something that really needs doing much.

erm... no.

My tried & tested method was/is... bit of baby wipe on the cleaning rod, whack it in the hole & pump like a teenager.

Posted (edited)

No

Bit of thin cloth with Isopropyl and twist as it goes through slowly.

Stop when it gets to hop (slight resistance)

Clean hop end with Q-tip 

I only take the barrel apart when I polish the inside (which I've done on a couple of rifles and a few pistols)

Edited by EDcase

I still have the rod that came with my AUG many years ago.  It has a red mark on it so you know where to stop, really handy.  Definitely worth DIYing with a marker or bit of tape.

4 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

Isopropanol flex incoming 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.81140a3030671da934f66fae191fa89e.jpeg

Not sure if there's any real difference between isopropanol alcohol and isopropyl acetate but cleans like a good'un.

17145680285205494311753552418905.thumb.jpg.df6d12c638234b2e2f061a924229c261.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yeah, Isopropyl and Isopropanol are the same chemically just different names.

https://www.chemicals.co.uk/blog/isopropanol-same-as-isopropyl-alcohol#:~:text=Isopropanol is also called isopropyl,between isopropanol and isopropyl alcohol.

They'll both get you equally high 🤣

Edited by EDcase

Only when cleaning handguns as I strip them down for cleaning anyway. Everything else except the M4 stays in one piece as it's the only AEG I've got where I don't have to spend ages taking it apart and putting it back together.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

They'll both get you equally high 🤣

Even more so than ethyl alcohol found in booze*

*Please don't drink isopropyl alcohol, there's a high chance it'll make you take a forever nap

8 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Please don't drink isopropyl alcohol

I've been drinking cheap London Gin* from my local One Stop for years - is there really that much difference?

*Yes I know it's filth, but I get through far too much to justify spending the cash on decent stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2024 at 13:55, DanBow said:

Not sure if there's any real difference between isopropanol alcohol and isopropyl acetate but cleans like a good'un.

17145680285205494311753552418905.thumb.jpg.df6d12c638234b2e2f061a924229c261.jpg

That stuff is evil! Somewhat pungent too!!! 😱😱😱🤪

1 hour ago, Egon_247 said:

That stuff is evil! Somewhat pungent too!!! 😱😱😱🤪

It's a cheap high though! 😵💫