Hand Grenade etiquette

RostokMcSpoons

So if my rather knackered knee settles down in time, I'm hoping to be playing outdoors at Spec Ops on Sunday.  Yay!  
Hopefully I'll get to run my Tippmann HPA in anger for the first ever, and also it'll be my first chance to throw my recently won multi-shot grenade around.  (Assuming the primers arrive on schedule)

Now I've not seen much grenade use - at Spec Ops it's almost always smokes, just the occasional thunderflash going off too... I don't really know why, they're mentioned as fine to use in the briefing (after checking and approval).   So I don't really know what's good and what's bad in the use of 'nades.

It's a big ol' chunk of metal so I won't be heroically yeeting it any distance, and neither will I drop it blind over the top of a barrier where it might bounce off a noggin, but on the other hand I'm not going to look inside every tent before I chuck it in, as that would rather defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?   So what are the do's and don'ts?

Titled with thanks to these fine lads

1925767191_TheDamned.jpg.d04a72ba10893559e6749a72dd1a0a51.jpg

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Underarm, eh?

It's just not cricket sir!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Just doom-scrolling through my YT feed, and a review of a similar grenade suggests there's a fair chance it won't go off unless it hits something hard.

So bouncing it off noggins will just have to be done!

Anyway, as YT seems to know what I'm typing elsewhere, I'm just off to make a nice tinfoil hat and pair of gloves

I agree with the underarm only and no higher that waist height. It's a big ol chunk of metal so it's still gonna suck if you kneecap someone with it, nevermind anywhere else.

I've never used my impact BFGs (or any BFGs) outdoors for fear of losing it. Never had one not go off when indoors with the exception of dud blanks.

Edited by MrTea
I can't spell

• Supporters

Nah, I wouldn't bother with an impact in woodland, unless they have lots of solid-floored structures that people need winkled out of.

The usual airsoft rule applies: don't send it out in any way that you wouldn't want it coming in.

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:
Anyway, as YT seems to know what I'm typing elsewhere, I'm just off to make a nice tinfoil hat and pair of gloves

Forget the tinfoil hat, to resolve your YouTube data harvesting you need to make a tinfoil faraday cage phone case.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Faraday-Cage

That’ll fool them

But on topic, as above an impact grenade with underarm throws in woodland is less likely to go off.

Regarding a potential greater use of smoke over bangs, it’s generally down to the ‘effectiveness’ of the different forms of pyro.

Even if a smoke cloud turns out to be ineffective (due to wind or just watching instead of using cover) it is at least pretty and gives an ‘atmosphere’.

In the woods a general haze will hang in the air for longer 

Bangs just make a noise, and unless there is an elimination rule within a radius, or room/bunker clearance (and acted upon) then they are just noise.  

Noise can be a distraction, but often only truely an effective distraction in fairly enclosed areas - often just another noise in the woods among all the other skirmish noises

Pyro can be fun though.  If you’re enjoying (safely) playing with it then that’s what can make it worthwhile 

I'd very suprised if your impact would go off on a regular basis outdoor. The whole concept is that you need a hard surface to make it work.

I play indoor only but you have to follow multiple rules because that thing is lethal if you yeet it. 🤣

Under arm, defo below waist height, no yeet, preferably you check xy corner/room/etc. before you post it so you don't injure anyone. It's really limited how you can use it even indoor let alone outdoor when you can have massive distances.

Yeah the "use cases" I have for it at the outdoor site of spec ops are:

- the kill houses in Ping Ping City.

Very tight areas, the grenade will only be travelling a couple of feet around a corner on each throw

- tents at BBC.

The tents all have windows that can be approached, it'll be a drop rather than a throw into them

- the church.

If we play the game where attacks are only allowed through the church door, there'll be a stack of people queuing up next to it to get through.  The temptation to yeet will be strongest at this point, but if I can get close enough for an underarm toss then I'll get a stack of kills in one go (if they take the hit)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Under arm and as close as possible, both for safety and the unfortunate event of thieves grabbing it.

As for the soft ground, if you flick it end over end, like bottle flipping, and the ground is soft the inertia from the spin to stop can work, though it can be dependant on the type of impact you have.

• Supporters

Give it a go, dud grenades are always good for a laugh.

11 hours ago, Krisz said:

t's really limited how you can use it even indoor

This is truth, impacts are essentially for murderising people on the other side of a doorway.  They can be used to great effect that way, but a timed grenade has more flexibility because you can bowl it for a considerable distance along a hard floor.

• Supporters

As they say in the briefing at my local site, if you've brought an impact grenade to a woodland site then you have the wrong tool for the job.

Personally I've always stuck with paper pyro anyway because it's more likely to go off and I can yeet the fuck out of it. 

Thanks guys.  Great input, much appreciated.

I was actually expecting the spec ops cqb to open before the outdoor site, so it'd get a run on hard surfaces, but the thought of having a method to wrinkle out some hard-core tent campers does have sooooo much appeal I'll want to give it a go at least!

(I have feeling I won't be going though, I've got a head cold and it's getting worse not better - the idea of a snotty nose inside a face mask is really not that appealing.  Plus my knee is super fragile, every chance I'd have to drop out at some point, and I really can't afford to spend £30 on a part day 😢)

11 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

it'll be a drop rather than a throw into them

Isn't that classed as "posting" and therefore a naughty?

I'm going to my dad's for some real steel shooting this weekend, so won't be there either.

53 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

If I'm there I'll be sure to ask Carlos about that

Enjoy your shooting!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Having taken an impact grenade to the face (fortunately I was wearing a GSR replica which took the brunt of it) I can't agree enough with only allowing them to be thrown underarm and below waist height

Personally I wouldn't bother with an impact grenade in woodland as they're so unreliable on soft ground. I tend to go with a mix of timed BFGs for posting into doorways and paper pyro for yeeting

13 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

- tents at BBC.

The tents all have windows that can be approached, it'll be a drop rather than a throw into them

-

2 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

If I'm there I'll be sure to ask Carlos about that

Enjoy your shooting!

Posting and dropping into windows (plus doors etc) can be subject to very different interpretations by different people 

I would interpret the bad thing of ‘posting’ to dropping something into an opening without looking

You could of course poke your head in the window to look - but I did that once and don’t recommend it

I met a barrel coming the other way 

Everyone within earshot heard my expletive reaction, and courtesy of a VOX microphone so did the safe zone

Well, it's moot for the moment - game cancelled due to incoming inclement weather.  (Thanks @Gunboat Diplomat)

At least my knee will have some time to recover, and my primers will definitely actually have arrived!

14 hours ago, _K4MF_ said:

I mean surely, just don't be a c**t?

Or if you are a c**t, don't get caught? 🤣

A good rule of thumb for most of life i find.  Unlike the selfish  twat currently hogging the car charger at Cobham services at 90% charge and only 20% charge speed (because that's how batteries work) 

15 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

moot for the moment

My hangover agrees.   Why the fuck was I mixing Rum, Jack Daniels and Corona last night?   I feel as rough as all balls at the moment.  🤢

Edited by Dan Robinson

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

A good rule of thumb for most of life i find.  Unlike the selfish  twat currently hogging the car charger at Cobham services at 90% charge and only 20% charge speed (because that's how batteries work) 

Silver lining...... Cobham services is full of lush food!