Wellpro WE-23S Minigun

Skara

https://www.taiwangun.com/machine-gun-aeg/we23-s-rotary-minigun-style-replica-well

Hideous, but has the potential to be the ultimate meme RIF.

I'm thinking of buying one with my airsoft mate.

https://www.taiwangun.com/drum-magazine-aeg/1200rd-magazine-or-the-we23-s-minigun-well

Here's a breakdown video where some clever technical solutions are done..

All I need to figure out is how to fine tune the energy output (says it comes out at 0.78J, may bring it to the 0.9/0.95J region) and how to make the plastic sleeve/cam track sturdier.

• Supporters

That's a lot of money for something so hideously fugly🤢

The only thing that really interested me was the magazine system. The ca microgun takes a moment to reload down the centre A quick change magazine is handy. To me given the shape, it's begging to be under mounted on a full size minigun.

I'm wondering what will happen if I slap a warhead 36k on it....

Asked the guys at Taiwangun if spares are available, also asked if nozzles, piston heads and main springs are AEG spec..

If so, my plan for mass destruction of airsoft newbs and cheetas may proceed :D

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Skara said:

Look what UPS delivered today :D

FUZUS1F.jpg

Niiice🙂

First impressions:

I'm surprised, it feels very solid despite the brand not being something we usually associate with the word, it's also not a feather at 3.4kg (w/o BBS or a battery).

Did a quick test to ensure it's in working order and it already put an evil grin on my face 😈

Now I just have to set the hops and buy a couple of bags of 0.25s :D

Maybe slap a red dot on it and set up a temporary sling.

6 minutes ago, Skara said:

The concept of a red dot on this thing is like putting a bipod on a tank. 🤣

It looks mean tho!

15 minutes ago, Skara said:

First impressions:

I'm surprised, it feels very solid despite the brand not being something we usually associate with the word, it's also not a feather at 3.4kg (w/o BBS or a battery).

Did a quick test to ensure it's in working order and it already put an evil grin on my face 😈

Now I just have to set the hops and buy a couple of bags of 0.25s :D

One of the marshalls at my local site used one as a juggernaut and it was very amusing observing the carnage from a concealed spot; front row seats to the spectacle!

26 minutes ago, _K4MF_ said:

The concept of a red dot on this thing is like putting a bipod on a tank. 🤣

It looks mean tho!

Well yeah I don't expect much accuracy/range from this, but having a general idea of where the swarm of angry bees will go is nice when catching someone off guard :)

1 minute ago, Skara said:

Well yeah I don't expect much accuracy/range from this, but having a general idea of where the swarm of angry bees will go is nice when catching someone off guard :)

If this thing came round the corner, I can definitely tell you it would catch me off guard. :P

Alright, took it apart after today's game and:

The internals are proprietary except for the motor, inner barrels and hop rubbers.

The springs are vsr-like, but half the length and of odd diametre (11.3mm OD, 8.90 ID).

Piston heads (consequently "cylinders" and cylinder heads) are smaller than AEG spec at 20mm OD.

Nozzles are proprietary and don't have o-rings.

Barrels are supposed to be 226x6.03 but I will check this later.

Performance wise it's a hungry beast. Just setting the hops will chew through half a kilogram of 0.25s, it's far from efficient as well, drawing 30odd amps to start and keeping 24A during function, but that is due to the motor being a meh ferrite one.

The upgrade plan is:

• sort the air seal with new o-rings;

• replace the motor with a less thirsty one, even if the overall ROF goes down;

• replace hop rubbers to get the maximum possible range on 0.25s;

• [optional] replace the inner barrels to bring the power up closer to 0.99J without putting unnecessary stress on the mechanical components. Alternatively make some spacers to go between piston heads and springs to compress them a little more.

Pro tip for long term storage:

Unscrew the barrel assembly, due to the way it works 4 out of 5 springs are always under tension.

Edit: a full sized, picture filled breakdown and "review" will come once I have upgraded it.

Edited by Skara

5 hours ago, mirinjawbro said:

would you say its worth the money?

Whether it's worth the money or not is completely up to one's expectations.

To me it's worth it because I know I can turn it into a decent shooter and I'm not too fussed about looks.

It does stand out from the sea of M4s, if that's your thing and it has a certain "fear factor" when your target is quite close.

Keep in mind that for a similar expense you can get a generic M4 to fire at the same ROF, if not higher, and not have to worry too much about breaking things (and you get decent ergonomics on top of that)

4 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Is it worth using .25s?  Surely .2s would be more wallet friendly?

Wouldn't run it on 0.2s because they just lack the performance, especially since this thing comes out at 0.7-ish joules and as of now there are no spare parts available.

Edited by Skara

• 2 months later...

Yup, WellPro pumped out a few versions, some with increased mag capacity (from 1200 to 2800 rounds), longer barrels, different grips and in one photo there seems to be a retractable stock.

Since we're here:

I ordered some slightly wider o-rings (16.5mm ID x 2mm thickness against the stock 16x2 ones)to attempt to fix the air seal.

I'm now looking at hop rubbers, usually I'd go with maple leaf but a) there's 5 and b) I only run 0.25s in this so ML is overkill, I don't need mega accuracy but I would like a few more metres of range to be on par with a half decent non r-hopped AEG.

suggestions?