Why is everything (ok most of it) always out of stock no matter what website?

ParHunter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi 

A bit of a rant here, it seems that most parts, gear etc on Airsoft websites are always out of stock and when it is in stock they charge £5.99 delivery even if it is a small part that could be sent as a letter?

I understand that you can’t stock everything but there should be one website somewhere in the UK that has an item in stock (e.g. trying to find a AAP CTM pistol holster or a simple rail attachment for it).

It makes shopping for Airsoft equipment very frustrating when you get lots of search results for an item but when you then click on it it tells you it is out of stock. A couple of website at least show ‘In European Warehous’ aka ‘we can back order it’.

Any idea why it is so bad with all things Airsoft? And why is it cheaper to ship something across the world from China via Alliexpress than it is to ship from somewhere in the UK?

Ok rant over.

Edited by ParHunter

• Supporters

Brexit probably has a lot to answer for unfortunately. 

Try this when searching for kit:

https://www.airsoftdb.com/

55 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Brexit probably has a lot to answer for unfortunately. 

I’ll add that to the long list of Brexit benefits …

1 hour ago, ParHunter said:

Hi 

A bit of a rant here, it seems that most parts, gear etc on Airsoft websites are always out of stock and when it is in stock they charge £5.99 delivery even if it is a small part that could be sent as a letter?

Not sure if it might be still a thing but when I was in the industry shipping company's used to offer a flat rate for everything. So £5.99 to send a pen or an industrial printer. 

53 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Limited production runs, small margins for retailers and finally Brexit.  

Next question.

Pretty much this. Also I think the UK is only a small percentage of the global airsoft market so unfortunately the bigger shipments are probably going to go elsewhere 

One thing I've noticed is that certain shops won't remove discontinued products but list them as out of stock. 

I'm starting to think setting up an exporting business could be a laugh when I move to Japan  LOL.

But seriously...who would have thought leaving a free trade and free movement block was a good idea ffs.  Its caused havoc for us in the plumbing and heating world.  Things have only just started to settle down.

The reason I heard that it's so cheap to ship from China is they currently enjoy a massive discount on global shipping rates, mostly due to the fact they are crazily still classed as an "emerging economy" or something like that, their RMB is famously under valued as well apparently.

For Chinese Airsoft products it's can be difficult to export from China due to the product restrictions.  Few Chinese brands are allowed to ship directly from mainland China, generally have to ship from Hong Kong.  All adds to the cost, so fewer wholesalers, some brands only allow you to purchase 20ft containers so a wholesaler will wait till all stock is gone before reordering.  

On the note about UK stores not using cheaper shipping.  I sent Large Letter products 1st class for 8 years or so for only £1.50, eventually I gave up since I was getting a large amount of customers saying their item didn't arrive since there's no "official" tracking.  What customers didn't know tracking did indeed exist but only if you speak to Royal Mail business support directly.  I just got fed up with all the hassle from it, an being open to fraud so I moved over to Tracked 24 which is double the price - sucks but has to be the way forward.  

Edited by ak2m4

Yes, I saw a video explaining about China's 'special' rates because it classes itself as an 'emerging economy'

I believe all the low stock is due to all the problems China has been having in the last few years.  Covid lockdown was an utter disaster for the economy and then the sudden 'back to normal' when it wasn't eradicated caused millions of deaths. (Their vaccine didn't work at all)

Then the floods this year.

And their economy is seriously tanking

I think it'll be a long while before stock goes back to previous levels.

Edited by EDcase

I'd assume that since brexit lots of companies can't be bothered to deliver to the UK and/or there is no profit to make anymore due to the import changes.

Royal Mail raised prices not long ago so that 5.99 isn't nessecarily a rip-off even if it's looks like that retailers take the piss.

Edited by Krisz

2 hours ago, Krisz said:

I'd assume that since brexit lots of companies can't be bothered to deliver to the UK and/or there is no profit to make anymore due to the import changes.

Royal Mail raised prices not long ago so that 5.99 isn't nessecarily a rip-off even if it's looks like that retailers take the piss.

Maybe if products were coming from the EU but importation from China hasn't really changed.  Royal Mail prices have increased however.  They're seriously pushing all retailers to their Tracked solutions.  On October 1st they raised their Large Letter prices by nearly 30% in one go, this has really hit eBay sellers.

Back in 2015 1st class Large Letter was £0.80, today it's £1.95 😞

• Supporters

Despite Brexit, we still have an agreement with the EU where we don't charge each other customs duties for items produced or manufactured in the UK or EU.  But by and large that doesn't apply to airsoft toys and tat.

VAT is still chargeable, from anywhere in the world, and the old £16 minimum limit is long since gone.

Now, anything up to £135 should have 20% UK VAT added at source. The seller has to register with HMRC and pay over the VAT to them[*], then the item ought to come through without further VAT or duties.

Over £135, anything imported becomes liable for customs duties (from the list of ten kajillion types of goods), VAT, and then all the charges that get added on for working out and paying those charges.  I can see that getting complicated and risky, e.g. you've got an order containing a mix of items that attract different rates of duty, or if HMRC disagrees with the categorisation or value.

[*] I imagine there are ways to arrange things so that VAT and duties end up just resting in your account for longer than might be strictly necessary, or where the basket price that you're charging doesn't always match the value declared to HMRC.

2 hours ago, ak2m4 said:

Maybe if products were coming from the EU but importation from China hasn't really changed.  Royal Mail prices have increased however.  They're seriously pushing all retailers to their Tracked solutions.  On October 1st they raised their Large Letter prices by nearly 30% in one go, this has really hit eBay sellers.

Back in 2015 1st class Large Letter was £0.80, today it's £1.95 😞

It doesn't matter where it comes from in this scenario. All of these companies charge you ~30 quid for delivery since brexit. Rainbow8, WGC, Power6Air etc. At least in my experience. Or companies aren't even bothered to ship to the UK.

16 hours ago, EDcase said:

Yes, I saw a video explaining about China's 'special' rates because it classes itself as an 'emerging economy'

I believe all the low stock is due to all the problems China has been having in the last few years.  Covid lockdown was an utter disaster for the economy and then the sudden 'back to normal' when it wasn't eradicated caused millions of deaths. (Their vaccine didn't work at all)

Then the floods this year.

And their economy is seriously tanking

I think it'll be a long while before stock goes back to previous levels.

Sounds like an assessment by the Chicken Little School of Economics.  

11 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Sounds like an assessment by the Chicken Little School of Economics.  

Just look into what's happening over there and see for yourself...

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Now, anything up to £135 should have 20% UK VAT added at source. The seller has to register with HMRC and pay over the VAT to them[*], then the item ought to come through without further VAT or duties.

Over £135, anything imported becomes liable for customs duties (from the list of ten kajillion types of goods), VAT, and then all the charges that get added on for working out and paying those charges.  I can see that getting complicated and risky, e.g. you've got an order containing a mix of items that attract different rates of duty, or if HMRC disagrees with the categorisation or value.

[*] I imagine there are ways to arrange things so that VAT and duties end up just resting in your account for longer than might be strictly necessary, or where the basket price that you're charging doesn't always match the value declared to HMRC.

(I believe) that the overseas registered VAT is to be accounted for & paid to HMRC on a quarterly basis, so would be held for a period

Package declarations should cover all of that, and presumably with the companies HMRC reference - with past experience I wouldn’t be surprised if someone from overseas sent packages with declarations but didn’t have any arrangement 

When parcels pass through its then a question of whether there is any tracking of what is declared on the package vs quarterly accounts 

On the matter of what is actually charged and what is subsequently declared, that again depends on ‘proper’ accounting.  Unless it’s a VAT invoice the specifics aren’t there.  Legally that’s irrelevant as VAT applies or doesn’t, but if for example a European seller lists inclusive of local VAT but sold as export then they could still charge €120 but keep the €120 from an overseas sale, but with a local sale kept €100 and paid their tax man €20

If declared as UK vat paid then they would be paying the €20 In £ to HMRC

………….

Ive just had a recent European import of some custom work - I dealt with the European office, but my invoice came from a different UK company (the guy is their ‘UK rep’) so I paid UK VAT

The European company sent it to him, and he forwarded it to me

I never saw the package which went through customs, so either multiple items came and split out or he took it out of one package and then sent on to me

UK customs therefore will have seen a business to business package and HMRC got their cut on the UK to UK sale

Since 2020 shipping has increased in cost   , materials have increased in cost , some factories have not yet fully returned to airsoft after switching to making medical and safety gear , fuel cost increases world wide .

All of these are world wide but especially in some parts of Asia. Brexit may not help locally with the economy but it has nothing to do with the shortage of product being produced and shipped from Asia . Hong Kong shipping and warehousing companies have increased their charges exponentially the last few years which means retailers and factories are increasingly going back to sea shipping which is still very backed up from the pandemic rush and has also increased costs due to the global increase in fuel cost.

If you think we have it bad the European shops have it even worse as the buying power in Euros is even lower currently according to my colleagues in the Europe offices.

Add to this that there just hasn't been the new releases this year that we see some years but that fluctuates year on year 

As has been said, the UK isn't as big a market as some other countries (not sure where we would rank), so most retailers wouldn't be able to put in big enough orders with each brand to be a priority for delivery, they want to ship at least a container and a small crate of a dozen by air freight won't really interest them, hence most UK retailers going through official importers and wholesalers, who will be able to put in an order for a container full of stock.

Another issue is, the global chip market, still hasn't fully caught up from both the halt in production due to covid and a large % of stock was destroyed in a warehouse fire a couple of years ago.

Airsoft isn't the only hobby to be suffering these issues though.

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, ASP383 said:

As has been said, the UK isn't as big a market as some other countries (not sure where we would rank)

That's a very good point, that also makes me think about other variables ? 

Yep we're a small country/island compared to the likes of say France or USA, but we are pretty crowded in comparison ? (some would say overcrowded 😏

But once you satisfy vcra, legally we're fairly lax compared to many countries when you consider some only allow semi, some have stricter fps rules, & some it's just flat out illegal, yet still they have an "underground" Airsoft scene, but with no legitimate Airsoft shops ?. 

6 hours ago, ASP383 said:

As has been said, the UK isn't as big a market as some other countries (not sure where we would rank), so most retailers wouldn't be able to put in big enough orders with each brand to be a priority for delivery, they want to ship at least a container and a small crate of a dozen by air freight won't really interest them, hence most UK retailers going through official importers and wholesalers, who will be able to put in an order for a container full of stock.

Another issue is, the global chip market, still hasn't fully caught up from both the halt in production due to covid and a large % of stock was destroyed in a warehouse fire a couple of years ago.

Airsoft isn't the only hobby to be suffering these issues though.

Airsoft is a niche in every country but if I recall correctly UK was one of the biggest market for Taiwangun before Brexit.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.