Value for money...

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My mate (see thread about starter pew) is looking for distractions for his two teenagers...  So far, startup costs not withstanding, airsoft seems to me to be the best value day out.... We looked at Cinema, Gokarting, skiing, laser tag. 

Anyone else got a better way to entertain older kids for a day? 

Personally I think airsoft pretty much tops nearly everything else that's legal. 

Tons of my friends are taking up skating at the moment. People ranging from early 20's to late 30's. I'm giving roller blading a try since I can already ice skate, but skateboarding seems to be great value for money and the community is really friendly and supportive from what I've seen. Most public skateparks are free entry which means after you've got your board and a lid/some pads you're good to go. Definitely on the cheaper side long term I reckon - medical bills for the occasional wipeout notwithstanding

As someone who's really just exiting his own teen years (oh, those dark days), airsoft is about the best thing I've found. It keeps my mind and body active and sharp, and satisfies my innate manly desire to "kill the bad guy". The downsides being cost, time investment, and the inevitable fun when something breaks.

Without knowing your boys...

How does England feel about archery?

Chess is also an option, if your boys like competitive board games.

Actually, board gaming is making a comeback. Games like Wingspan, Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride can be huge time sinks.

I agree with Leo, I would place my hat in the ring and suggest tabletop gaming, specifically Warhammer and the 40K universe, the ability to pick a faction to build, paint and battle following rules and lore, or make your own up, while I am terrible at painting I rather enjoy building. Assembling a Tyranid army currently, awsome. Places like goblin gaming allow sets at affordable prices. 

2 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

Archery is a thing here

One of my ‘gun’ cases is an exes archery case 

As usual it’s a thing that can cost as much as you’re willing to pay & take up as much time as you are willing to put in

3 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

Actually, board gaming is making a comeback. Games like Wingspan, Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride can be huge time sinks.

Board gaming does seem to be quite a thing

I go to comicons with friends who trade at them and one of the event series is primarily a gaming event - which covers anything from general board games & table top gaming to arcade machines

It also means that I spot things such as ‘gaming cafes’ and ‘gaming bars’ popping up in places - sit at a table buying drinks and playing board games or card games

5 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

There's a couple archery clubs around my parts (southern England) - It's reasonably popular.

More gun clubs though - Airgun shooting is very popular - many clubs are full (with waiting lists to join) - mainly down to the fact that Sub 12ft/lb Airgun rifle ownership does not require a license (6ft/lbs for pistols) south of the Scottish border. Both clubs I belong to have a good number of junior shooters too. 

• Supporters

Warhammer 40k can be good but has some setup costs associated, Kill Team and Necromunda are the cheapest and easiest tabletop spinoffs to learn.

You can go to your local shop and they have miniatures you can paint for free. My friend took his three kids there and they had a lot of fun painting a space marine each that you get to keep. Not 100% if all stores do this as, so worth checking.

11 hours ago, Beorn said:

Tons of my friends are taking up skating at the moment. People ranging from early 20's to late 30's.

It absolutely is way cheaper than airsoft, but the "iffy" part here is with teenagers / kids and what can potentially go on at skate parks.

I know most of the time everything's fine, I'm being a bit negative, but some parks are a good place for recruiting kids to be part of a dealers network and get a bit of a reputation for what you can buy there as much as doing ollies.

Skating is a good shout.

I'd also recommend BMX/MTB, even though the "entry" cost is much higher. A decent entry level BMX will not go much cheaper than € 600/700 (by decent I mean a product that has nice features out of the box and that can be upgraded later on), that means full Cr-Mo steel frame, integrated headset, mid BB as a bare minimum. Full Cr-Mo fork is a nice touch too.

This will give you a future-proof bike that can be upgraded as parts break, while keeping everything "standard".

2 hours ago, Esoterick said:

You can go to your local shop and they have miniatures you can paint for free. My friend took his three kids there and they had a lot of fun painting a space marine each that you get to keep. Not 100% if all stores do this as, so worth checking.

Yeh my local GW does it. Ended up with quite a few free Space Marines taking my son there over the last year or so.

Brilliant strategy really - they must only cost a few pence (if that) but it certainly helps with bringing in new customers - I've spent a fair bit there now because of it.

RC Cars, Tanks or Boats?

They can be purchased quite cheap for entry level these days.

I didn't mention planes/helos/drones because rules can be a bit limiting where you can fly but if there's a club nearby...

Gets em outdoors and may reveal engineering interests if they want to tinker.

Edited by EDcase

At least with Airsoft it lasts the day, you're out in the morning and back for dinner. Whereas the likes of the cinema can cost almost as much for a couple of hours entertainment and then you've still got the rest of the day to fill.

One downside with airsoft is that it's not something they can do every day / whenever they like, although if they learn some cleaning & tech skills there's plenty to keep then occupied for a few hours between games. Of course if they're only looking for weekend distraction's then that's less of an issue.

2 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

It absolutely is way cheaper than airsoft, but the "iffy" part here is with teenagers / kids and what can potentially go on at skate parks.

I know most of the time everything's fine, I'm being a bit negative, but some parks are a good place for recruiting kids to be part of a dealers network and get a bit of a reputation for what you can buy there as much as doing ollies.

I think that's bordering on a bit paranoid lol. You've probably got more chance of running into dangerous arseholes in airsoft than at the skatepark. Most of the parks around me that I've been to are veryt relaxed, tons of friendly people willing to help new skaters. I've never seen any dealers hanging about there, I think skating people tend to be quite protective of their spaces and new people starting out from what I've seen. Maybe the occasional old weedhead smoking a joint while skating himself, but certainly noone recruiting kids in broad daylight 🤣 There are also indoor parks all over that you can pay a small fee to enter and skate without that risk, if that's really a serious concern or you live in a super dodgy area or something

41 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

At least with Airsoft it lasts the day, you're out in the morning and back for dinner. Whereas the likes of the cinema can cost almost as much for a couple of hours entertainment and then you've still got the rest of the day to fill.

This is a thing that I use when airsoft or paintball get referred to as expensive to play (alongside the tangent that I will take when someone has spent so much on equipment but complains about the cost of a day or weekend)

Cost up entry plus consumables to shoot  apply that to a whole day and the ratio of ‘£ per minute of fun’ turns into a bargain up against other days out 

15 minutes ago, Beorn said:

I think that's bordering on a bit paranoid lol. You've probably got more chance of running into dangerous arseholes in airsoft than at the skatepark. Most of the parks around me that I've been to are veryt relaxed, tons of friendly people willing to help new skaters. I've never seen any dealers hanging about there, I think skating people tend to be quite protective of their spaces and new people starting out from what I've seen. Maybe the occasional old weedhead smoking a joint while skating himself, but certainly noone recruiting kids in broad daylight 🤣 There are also indoor parks all over that you can pay a small fee to enter and skate without that risk, if that's really a serious concern or you live in a super dodgy area or something

Outdoor skate parks in urban areas can indeed be good places to score, or at least get directions as to where one may be able to. 

Trust me on this..... a friend told me?

This thread:

gallery_1_6_4517600.gif

Sorry. 

Anyway! 

Airsoft

Gokarting

D&D

Geocaching

City hunts

Dealing smack on a skateboard

Escape room 

Crazy golf

Bowling

As a former skater/snowboarder; skating can be frustrating af at first, but great fun, rewarding and keep you fit. 

It can also lead to horrible injuries that haunt you years later, when you're running around in a wood with a bb pew

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

This is a thing that I use when airsoft or paintball get referred to as expensive to play (alongside the tangent that I will take when someone has spent so much on equipment but complains about the cost of a day or weekend)

Cost up entry plus consumables to shoot  apply that to a whole day and the ratio of ‘£ per minute of fun’ turns into a bargain up against other days out 

Imagine if a 24h game or a weekender was charged like the time-equivalent of cinema tickets... 😬😅 $$$$$$$

54 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

It can also lead to horrible injuries that haunt you years later, when you're running around in a wood with a bb pew

Which, according to YouTube, can also lead to horrible injuries... that haunt you forever online 🤣

Edited by TacticalWaifu

4 hours ago, Beorn said:

I think that's bordering on a bit paranoid lol. 

I'm speaking from (very recent) experience unfortunately.

My youngest teenage son started to go down a very dark path due to a particular skate park, but we were all able to sort him out thankfully and he's flipped over to MTB with some of his other long term friends and so happy now. But a friend he's known since primary is now £100's in debt to some "bigger boys" and drinking quite hard when he's only 14 :(

19 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

My mate (see thread about starter pew) is looking for distractions for his two teenagers...  So far, startup costs not withstanding, airsoft seems to me to be the best value day out.... We looked at Cinema, Gokarting, skiing, laser tag. 

Anyone else got a better way to entertain older kids for a day? 

Personally I think airsoft pretty much tops nearly everything else that's legal. 

How about axe throwing or rage room?

1 hour ago, Fatboy40 said:

I'm speaking from (very recent) experience unfortunately.

My youngest teenage son started to go down a very dark path due to a particular skate park, but we were all able to sort him out thankfully and he's flipped over to MTB with some of his other long term friends and so happy now. But a friend he's known since primary is now £100's in debt to some "bigger boys" and drinking quite hard when he's only 14 :(

Yikes that’s awful, sorry to hear it. Glad he’s on to better things, I loved MTB when I was a teenager. Me and my old man used to go all over for it, epic workout and some amazing sights/experiences. Good adrenaline rush to boot

All good ideas there.  The impitus is trying to keep the kids entertained in an unfamiliar area... So "regular one offs" if that makes sense. 

However, seeing as the two boys have their own pews now, airsoft is a pretty good dya out by my book.   However, I've just remembered that we have Chicksands Bike park just round the corner, and my mate Bubee (yes that's his real name) runs the little Thai food stand there.  Man his chicken satay skewers are awesome.  Make sure you pay though.  He has a rather excessive knife collection in the tailor. 😱

9 hours ago, EDcase said:

didn't mention planes/helos/drones because rules can be a bit limiting where you can fly but if there's a club nearby...

Yeah, I have a small squadron of DJI drones ranging from a Mavix Air up to an Inspire 1 (up for sale with a tonne of extras if anyone is interested).  There are a lot of small air fields round here and an army base, so a lot of airspace is restricted..... Oh an Luton Airport 😂

3 hours ago, Diemaco said:

I don't know how old they are, but what about the Army (or Air/Sea) Cadets? 

My lad is in the Army cadets.   But my reason for the thread is to help a mate who's living I my spare room for a spell, entertain his teens on the occasional weekends they are staying at my place as well. 

I wish I let him join the Cadets a lot sooner though.  It certainly helped bring him out of his shell.  He met Princess Margaret last weekend.  Had quite an involved chat with her apparently. 

• Supporters

download.jpg.054a85625980ca2e0cae25bb88133998.jpg

They don't call it Plastic Crack for nothing, you'd be better off getting a "free one" down the skate park.

All (well mostly) decent suggestions about, but what sort of activities do they like?  If you don't know, then chess-boxing, I guess.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.