New

Joshroon667

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Basically been to a few games last year, long story short i couldn't rely on my friends but I still have my guns and equipment, I still want to play and have no transport and im from the Luton area, joined groups and stuff.. Would love to play more seriously  message me on Facebook josh Rooney if your interested..there is a rift game coming up on the 19th 

Edited by Joshroon667

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Only if you contact him on Facebook to offer him the lift that he's oh-so-subtly asking for... ;) 

If only there was some kind of transit system where for a small fee you could travel on set routes at set times to where you want to go. Maybe a large vehicle which can hold up to 50 odd people and travels on the roads, or prehaps something even bigger which has it's own rails 

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

If only there was some kind of transit system where for a small fee you could travel on set routes at set times to where you want to go. Maybe a large vehicle which can hold up to 50 odd people and travels on the roads, or prehaps something even bigger which has it's own rails 

To be fair I have no idea how public transport will get him within walking distance of RIFT.
In fact I've been puzzling at exactly how to get into the site given the direction I'll be coming from... 'street viewing' of the Google directions didn't help

As to the OP - sorry, I can't help as I'm coming to the site from the opposite direction

3 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Public transport is rubbish. I couldn't even get a job next town and turn up at 7:30 on a daily basis because it's so unreliable. I can't really imagine how somehow could manage to play airsoft on different sites on a regular basis. Big cities may be different but around here no chance.

Edited by Krisz

58 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

In fact I've been puzzling at exactly how to get into the site given the direction I'll be coming from... 'street viewing' of the Google directions didn't help

Their location information references a sign at the entrance, but that might be that on game days they put up a sign

https://booking.riftairsoft.com/game/361

Location Info

Abingdon Airfield
Honey Bottom Lane
(Look for the RIFT Airsoft Parking Sign)
Dry Sandford
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
OX13 6BX

In general sites give good, bad or indifferent information on how to get there 

Compress_20230309_211101_1651.thumb.jpg.34524b536fa8d0076ce9358441e2d644.jpg

Pretty sure that is it. 

There are buses up and down that way.... My mum and uncle live in Barton and he used to get the bus to and from Luton all the time. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

21 hours ago, Krisz said:

Public transport is rubbish. I couldn't even get a job next town and turn up at 7:30 on a daily basis because it's so unreliable. I can't really imagine how somehow could manage to play airsoft on different sites on a regular basis. Big cities may be different but around here no chance.

Been doing it since I started playing as I've never learnt to drive. It can be restricting for sites further away but you just have to put in a bit of effort and be willing to possibly walk a couple of miles. It also means I have to think about what kit and guns I'm going to take

Edit: I don't live in a big city either

Edited by Cannonfodder

22 hours ago, Krisz said:

Ahem...

Searched for '"Se Tour Review:"' in Topics (airsoft-forums.uk)

About half these were done on public transport. You just have to be committed to getting up early and not mind 1 hour walking transfers 🙂

38 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Ahem...

About half these were done on public transport. You just have to be committed to getting up early and not mind 1 hour walking transfers 🙂

Bejaysus, I mind walking to the car if I've parked it an extra 6" away from the kerb 😁

The OP mentioned he's got his own guns and kit, I'm really not sure I could get much stuff around on a bus or train, especially in gun-shaped carriers....   not saying it's impossible, as you've obviously managed it, but it's not going to be easy is it?   I struggle to get my regular purchases of Stella Artois back from the car to the house 🤡

Kinda depends where you live though eh?  Maybe i'm unlucky but I tried to map using the bus here;

The earliest bus out of my village on a Saturday morning in the direction of the site leaves at 08:44 which is the arrival time at site and the nearest connecting bus stop from there is as far as I can tell and hour and half of walking, some of which is on a dual carriageway so not ideal for walking...  It's only a three hour walk from my house.
Now I could play at a different site which would mean getting on the earliest bus the other direction (6:41) and then connecting to get to within walking distance of the site arriving at the bus-stop at 10:47 with a half hour walk still.  Pretty sure either way I've missed the safety briefing and maybe even start of play either way.

So for me personally it's just not an option to use public transport, good on ya if it is but it might not be for the OP either.

On 10/03/2023 at 10:45, RostokMcSpoons said:

Bejaysus, I mind walking to the car if I've parked it an extra 6" away from the kerb 😁

The OP mentioned he's got his own guns and kit, I'm really not sure I could get much stuff around on a bus or train, especially in gun-shaped carriers....   not saying it's impossible, as you've obviously managed it, but it's not going to be easy is it?   I struggle to get my regular purchases of Stella Artois back from the car to the house 🤡

I'll photograph my kit later when it's packed up ready for tomorrow to show what I'm lugging about.

If you're going to drink that rat piss then you deserve to struggle

I was being semi-ironical.  I drink IPAs

T'wife likes a Stella though, so do I buy it

I would save the rats piss comments for the Coors and Budweiser's of this world though, Stella ain't that bad

On 10/03/2023 at 10:01, Asomodai said:

Ahem...

Everything is possible. Is it sustainable in the long term? Different story.

Personally I appreaciate my free time enough to not travel 4 hours on public transport to play airsoft. Why? Because I work a focking lot already. :D

Edited by Krisz

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I would save the rats piss comments for the Coors and Budweiser's of this world though, Stella ain't that bad

I suppose that's true. I know Stella isn't the same nasty stuff it used to be, but why let that get in the way of being a bit of a beer snob.This is my poison for tonight 

16785733683844122330223055398604.thumb.jpg.9ecec1f768e58c5564ccc5918e4edae4.jpg

Anyway, I fit 2 aegs, a pistol and a shotgun with mags along with everything else into a deployment bag and gun bag.

20230311_220018.thumb.jpg.642b19d571b3c71112e7f19f49d7349c.jpg

I could use something smaller than the deployment bag, but I like being able to just chunk everything in it at the end of the day, rather than faffing about trying to make everything fit

I don't think I've tried the Ruby but their IPA is good.  

Butty Bach and Old Empire IPA in my fridge, but I'm drinking cans of Old Speckled Hen for some easy, cheap beerage tonight

I've recently bought a day sack from Action Hobbies, I've got a skirmish tomorrow, just debating with myself of I'm going to pack it now or get up earlier tomorrow... 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.