Shotgun as a primary?

SussexMatt

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've got a Bo Fabarm STF12. Was wondering how practical a tri shot pump is as a primary, I suspect its not but as I'm looking to get back into things and have one so thought it was worth asking. 

Completely depends on your playing style and the type of field you're on. They can be effective, you just need to get up close, so charging forward with no fear is a must.

I will add, the above is obviously far easier in CQB/urban than large open woodland.

Edited by Cr0-Magnon

• Supporters

Woodland?  I wouldn't.  Even with my CYMA tri-shot with fixed hops that sort-of work with 0.28g, I wouldn't.  The FABARM doesn't claim to have a hop.

CQB, maybe.  It's very site and play dependent, and getting harder all the time as even the most basic of AEGs and pistols are more effective now.

2 minutes ago, SussexMatt said:

Sounds like its a no for me, I'm not the charging about type and I've not played in a while, something with better range will be for me. 

Then definitely not. The only people I've seen commit to any serious shotgun use in woodland are under 25 and lean.

• Supporters

Did use a TM KSG at a woodland game day once  , was certainly out ranged in the wide open spaces but once I got in to the woodland didn’t feel any great disadvantage apart from rounds carried as basically I was running the equivalent of running ‘real caps’ in an AEG

Totally depends on site, play style and ability. All Airsoft is, is learning how to get close without being a target and getting the upper hand regardless of the situation.

2 hours ago, heroshark said:

Totally depends on site, play style and ability. All Airsoft is, is learning how to get close without being a target and getting the upper hand regardless of the situation.

Exactly

We enjoy playing games about shooting people and getting shot at consensually for fun

Once in a while I get my kicks from spraying a load of balls all over the place, mostly I like to sneak around a bit and fire off a few shots.  More often than not I’ll get the perfect opportunity for a surprise shot but instead I’ll see how much closer I can get before anyone notices - which 9/10 times results in me getting shot at close range by a startled target.

If you’re after the one in ten success, or the adrenaline rush of almost succeeding along with another war story then take out whatever’s going to be the most fun 

If you’re going to be demoralised if you don’t get your fair share of kills then load up with a reasonably ranged gun that has a decent rate of fire,  can sustain a fair firefight and you can hit a barn door with

Come out of the game smiling and you’ve won the day 

I have played a few games with shotgun primary.   It was frustrating in woodland, great for CQB

Given the price and performance of a CYMA these days an aeg is probably better.  That said... the best woodland ambushes that I pulled off with the shotgun are still vivid in my mind seven years later.   

I've run a gas shotgun as a primary a few times and it's certainly doable, you do just have to adjust your playing style

9 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Come out of the game smiling and you’ve won the day 

This

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

That said... the best woodland ambushes that I pulled off with the shotgun are still vivid in my mind seven years later.

There is something very satisfying about a hard-mode kill when you've put the energy in yourself. It makes it much more personal, like kick starting a motorcycle.

2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Thee is something very satisfying about a hard-mode kill when you've put the energy in yourself. It makes it much more personal, like kick starting a motorcycle.

Or ‘kick’ starting by hand with the other holding a spark plug against the engine to check the spark ?   That put some energy into myself 

But in games there are tiny little moments where I still tell the tales 10, 15 or more years later

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Thee is something very satisfying about a hard-mode kill when you've put the energy in yourself. It makes it much more personal, like kick starting a motorcycle.

It's similar with running a bolt action these days, since AEGs and 1J builds can reach out so far now; my 1.1J m21 build is by far my most practical gun and it's rare I come across a situation where I really miss that extra 10 - 15m I get with 2.3J of bolt action. I ran a Cyma shotgun last week at UCAP Bunker and it worked amazingly well (even won a shotgun duel with someone who was running some sort of expensive gas shotgun monster build). Very satisfying and you get team mates looking your direction when you make that very audible pump (it's so hard to word this without it sounding risqué...)

I'd advise everyone to have at least a cheap tri-shot in their collection. They're a bit of fun and a good backup gun in case your main one breaks down or your batteries die or whatever. Metal-bodied Cyma tri-shots go for under £100 and they're a great bit of fun for the money.

17 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Then definitely not. The only people I've seen commit to any serious shotgun use in woodland are under 25 and lean.

I am most certainly not under 25 or lean but I have walked quickly throught woodland with TM SPAS 12.

48 minutes ago, BigStew said:

I am most certainly not under 25 or lean but I have walked quickly throught woodland with TM SPAS 12.

I probably haven't seen you though....also is that the airsoft equivalent of Walking Football?

49 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I probably haven't seen you though....also is that the airsoft equivalent of Walking Football?

Don't need to run to be sneaky. In fact, I'd argue you actively don't want to run if you're being sneaky because the eye is drawn to movement. That's where I've seen shotguns have a lot of success even in woodland, sneaking around and shooting at unsuspecting players with 3 barrels of fun.

Well, I think I'll acquire an AAP, from playing around with a friend's one I really like it and they seem to have a good range and ROF. Will give the shotty and an AAP a go at a local walk on after Easter and see how I go, should be a laugh if nothing else. Can do that without sinking money into an AEG when I'm just starting back into the sport. Would rather keep some cash back and put it into something decent in a couple of months. 

11 hours ago, Impulse said:

It's similar with running a bolt action these days, since AEGs and 1J builds can reach out so far now; my 1.1J m21 build is by far my most practical gun and it's rare I come across a situation where I really miss that extra 10 - 15m I get with 2.3J of bolt action. I ran a Cyma shotgun last week at UCAP Bunker and it worked amazingly well (even won a shotgun duel with someone who was running some sort of expensive gas shotgun monster build). Very satisfying and you get team mates looking your direction when you make that very audible pump (it's so hard to word this without it sounding risqué...)

I'd advise everyone to have at least a cheap tri-shot in their collection. They're a bit of fun and a good backup gun in case your main one breaks down or your batteries die or whatever. Metal-bodied Cyma tri-shots go for under £100 and they're a great bit of fun for the money.

Best game I've had I months was using a sub 350 bolt.  I was amazed at how far I could snap shoot with one slow BB.  

The tri-shots you mention are great.  

Like people have said.. woodland probably not. But in urban environments you might fare better. 

I mind a time at Urban Assault where my brother had his gas shotgun as a primary and had great fun.. and success sweeping through some of the buildings and corridors!

Played for 2 years with a marui benelli before getting an AEG, this was back in 1999/2000.

Completely doable though in woodland and CQB

It's all to do with getting to know the gun, learning it and your limitations and playing accordingly. 

Edited by MandalShArK

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.