Aeps

sc1970

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

does anybody think that aeps will eventually replace gbb pistols in the field

No, simply put.

There's a whole bunch of reasons why, but I think their awful performance by comparison is probably the biggest one.

hi thanks for reply,what do you think about the problems regarding reliability in cold weather with gbb pistols.(co2 should be ok i would think?

see thread 2 below

ive considered it and wish it was workable comparison but i just cant get them to be worth it really. better off with gas pistol or go another route, like mp5 or shotgun as backup.

hi i have  2 aeps,and no problem with reliability,fit a high cap mag and pretty good

reliability is fine, issue if fpz being low and lack up upgrades to correct this due to small motorsize etc meaning slow shots. tbf i rarely use my pistol and more likely bring a spring  shotty as a backup... 

Seems the main issue with AEPs is their lack of power, which is down to the small form factor and the associated difficulties in squeezing all the stuff into a pistol-sized package.

First AEP to go over 300fps will sell out in no time, until then GBB pistols and their cold weather issues will prevail.

Yeah, the low FPS with no real way of bringing it up significantly hurts their viability; you really need to use .2s in them which are horrendously inconsistent (the lightest BBs I use are .25s in my Cyma spring tri-shot which has no hop up). Also, as @remus says, they're incredibly slow to shoot, compared to a GBB that generally will have a snappy response unless it's got a metal slide and it's winter and you're running lower powered gas in them (that's a lot of conditions). I run TM GBBs with their plastic slides and they're snappy all year round, I just use green gas in the winter and 144a in the summer and they're perfect.

Also, there are NBB pistols like the mk23 that are also incredibly reliable all year round. They're also snappier, quieter and they shoot harder than AEPs. If you want something reliable as a secondary, a NBB gas pistol, short spring shotty or some sort of small SMG that is still an AEG like a P90 or mp5k are your best bets. I don't think AEPs will ever eclipse those options.

I love using pistols, even in woodland games. Getting kills with them is just so entertaining. I have several including 2 x ASG P-09's, which even in cold weather shoot very reliably for 4-5 mags at around 330fps. However in hot weather they can be a bit too powerful, so I use my Umarex Glock 19X or one of the TM's.

I've tried AEP's in the past, even including the newest CYMA with MOSFET and I hated it. When I'm in close and split seconds count, I don't want my pistol whirring up to fire when I pull the trigger before shooting a measily 220fps.

Show me a brand new design which fires at least 300fps and shoots almost instantly.

2 hours ago, sc1970 said:

...what do you think about the problems regarding reliability in cold weather with gbb pistols.(co2 should be ok i would think?

There are certain pistols that work quite well in winter.  As mentioned the MK23 is highly regarded.  Keeping mags warm is the key.  Red/Black gas can provide enough power for most cold days.

There are a few downsides to Co2 power.

1. More expensive than green gas.

2. Much higher pressures so failures can be more catastrophic.

3. Magazine leaks can be very expensive to fix because when testing if a valve is fixed you will waste an entire gas bulb if it still leaks.

4. Harder to manage usage.  You can't top-up when you want. You have to empty the gas bulb before replacing so you might run out in the middle of a game.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

[OK, let's try this again]

Just for giggles, I fitted a TDC to my AEP and it easily over-hops 0.43g.  Then you can run up to your target and let them know that the BBs will be along in a minute or two.

But yes, at 0.4J you'll be using 0.2g, or 0.25g at most, and if you get a hit at a real (rather than airsoft) 30m, go and buy a lottery ticket.

• Supporters

AEP’s work fine in CQB where your close in and the contact ranges are so much shorter than woodland but the minute you step outside of the ‘up close and personal’ of said CQB then they become about as much use as a dick on a rocking horse . Simple as that really .

1 minute ago, Druid799 said:

AEP’s work fine in CQB where your close in and the contact ranges are so much shorter than woodland but the minute you step outside of the ‘up close and personal’ of said CQB then they become about as much use as a dick on a rocking horse . Simple as that really .

Even in CQB I'd bet an AEP in an draw with a gas pistol would lose the majority of times.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

I haven't tried but even in CQB I'd bet an AEP in an draw would lose to a gas pistol most times.

Yes, you need to get the drop on someone to make them work.  In any contest of reactions, or popping in and out to shoot, you're at a big disadvantage to just about anything else out there.

• Supporters

Ahh yes both very true and valid points but the one real advantage of an AEP over GBB is you can blatt away to your hearts content at the other players and if they bitch and moan about it ? then they will look like THE BIGGEST PUSSY on the face of planet earth when it comes to light you shot them with an AEP ! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters

no, because gbb's are more fun for the rare occasion the majority of them make it out of their holsters on the field.

co2 is great in principle, but the venn diagram of people who claim on internet forums that they're reliable, and people who i've seen on the field with reliable co2 pistols, does not overlap. perhaps they're just not using the right type of bulb/storing it with/without the bulbs in (delete as appropriate i've heard of and tried both), are using too much/too little silicone etc etc.

or perhaps 800+psi & airsoft *ahem* "quality" isn't a mix that works out well.

nbb has its place, certainly it's a much cheaper option than hpa if mouse-fart levels of quiet are a priority for you. personally not my cup of tea.

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

co2 is great in principle, but the venn diagram of people who claim on internet forums that they're reliable, and people who i've seen on the field with reliable co2 pistols, does not overlap.

Yeah I should quantify that when I say reliable I mean I can count on it while the mags are able to create a seal. They only seem to fail between games, so far so good on the field. I have bought six CO2 mags for it and at least two pissed gas immediately.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Yeah I should quantify that when I say reliable I mean I can count on it while the mags are able to create a seal. They only seem to fail between games, so far so good on the field. I have bought six CO2 mags for it and at least two pissed gas immediately.

SOLVED: Why my steam iron can't get steam come out ...

14 hours ago, sc1970 said:

does anybody think that aeps will eventually replace gbb pistols in the field

Huge no.

AEPs have a super situational usage. That is up close and to being super duper quiet. Maybe in an arctic winter

If you try and build an AEP to provide the same performance as an GBB, it will explode and die very quickly. 

Your box AEP will fire at around 240-260 fps. Your out of the box GBB on green gas 320-350. 

Maybe if someone makes a tiny HPA engine for them.

Until then, it's just stuff that Novritsch fanboys will buy.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

oh when they work they're fantastic, but getting them to run long term is the problem.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.