The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

35 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

Will do! I tend to be the one running around with a pew pre 1980's, or an m16a1 in pieces 😂

I will keep an eye out for someone swearing at an M16A1!

A lot of mine are of a similar vintage; I quite often wander around with an L1A1.

14 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

So last night I took a trip down to Future Survival in Gravesend for some mid week CQB

On arrival I got signed in and found a free spot in the quite small safezone to sort out my kit. There was around 15 players there and while I didn't find myself struggling for space, it did feel a bit crowded. 

After kitting up it was off to chrono. This was done quickly and without fuss. Interestingly I did notice on their site rules the limits are slightly different depending on bb weight used, 340fps (1.07j) for .2g bbs or 310fps (1.12j) for .25g bbs. Tbh though the difference is that small that it doesn't really make any difference 

Games played were a mixture of types including deathmatch and king of the hill and the turn around between games was nice and quick but didn't feel rushed.

One rule I did fall foul of was when it comes to grenades. Their rules state "no pyro or flash bang grenades" which I took to mean disposable paper pyros, but actually includes BFGs. Something which I only found out after tossing one into a room. The marshal did say he'd forgotten to mention it in the briefing though.

The only other negative was some of the other players. Quite a few (on both teams) seemed to have a difficulty understanding what dead men don't talk means, fortunately though they could easily be ignored.

TL,DR:

It's a well run site and I'd say the game zone is quite well laid out and  IMO only needs a couple of tweaks to improve it. A solid 3.5 out of 5 overall

Looking at their rules, I can see why you were confused about grenades:

No pyro or flash-bang grenades
Keep all grenades under head height
Grenades hit a 3-5m radius, barrels and curtains don’t protect you

28 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Looking at their rules, I can see why you were confused about grenades:

No pyro or flash-bang grenades
Keep all grenades under head height
Grenades hit a 3-5m radius, barrels and curtains don’t protect you

Glad it's not just me

The marshal was great, rather than getting arsey he just asked me not to use them anymore and apologised for forgetting it in the briefing

Well that was one day of airsoft that I don't want to repeat. 

By lunchtime I'd packed my gear up and was no longer shooting as the locals appeared to be made from Teflon and were impervious to hits. 

Play was stopped after some numpty threw a LOG over a wall, shouting grenade and nigh on knocked some poor unsuspecting bloke out. 😱

I laid 15 rounds into a guy (3 shot bursts) every single one bouncing off him, including a few off his noggin with a marshal watching and nothing. Nada.

To prevent fatalities I gave up. Went back to the safe zone and grabbed a coffee.

The Marshalls couldn't give two shits if you complained..unless you were a regular. 

If a 13 year old comes back to the safe zone telling me he doesn't feel safe out there, then there's something wrong.

Genuinely never going back.

Sorry dogtag airsoft in Crawley, unimpressed.

12 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

By lunchtime I'd packed my gear up and was no longer shooting as the locals appeared to be made from Teflon and were impervious to hits. 

Play was stopped after some numpty threw a LOG over a wall, shouting grenade and nigh on knocked some poor unsuspecting bloke out. 😱

I laid 15 rounds into a guy (3 shot bursts) every single one bouncing off him, including a few off his noggin with a marshal watching and nothing. Nada.

To prevent fatalities I gave up. Went back to the safe zone and grabbed a coffee.

The Marshalls couldn't give two shits if you complained..unless you were a regular. 

If a 13 year old comes back to the safe zone telling me he doesn't feel safe out there, then there's something wrong.

I'll cross that one off the list then!

I'd like to thank the 2 members of the opposite team that revived me at Team Black Thistle in Dunragit yesterday!

Mistaking me for one of their own, they took their hits well afterwards.

4 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

I'll cross that one off the list then!

Both my boys did airsoft with me, the youngest gave up because of an uncontrolled twat at dogtag. 

The eldest hasn't even unpacked his pews yet and that's usually the first thing he does, unpacked, cleaned and ready to rock.

I get it, you have bad days with anything you do but this was a bit much.

2 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

Ok, so before I say how my game day went... what the hell? Like, that is one of the worst things I've ever heard at an airsoft event, and I used to play in Spain in the late 2000s when there were no sites, no rules, no health and safety and we never did anything as stupid as throwing a goddamn log over a wall! I will say that of all the sites down near me (Driver Wood, Worthing Airsoft, Southdown and Dogtag), Dogtag is the only one that I've been to that I will never make any effort to go back to as my experience of it, while not as bad as yours, was pretty awful.

Anyway, for me today at Worthing Airsoft was simultaneously glorious and horrible conditions for sniping with my lovely gas guns; schroedinger's airsoft?

I brought my m700 and mk12 MWS with me today as those were the guns I was planning on bringing to Shift Your RIFTs next weekend and wanted to make sure they were working well. Weirdest thing with my m700 was that the scope was off and all my shots were going to the right. Easily fixed by... rotating the rear scope ring 180 degrees? So now my lovely 3.5-25x56mm overkill scope is nice and straight again, but having one scope ring with the bolt one side and the other with the bolt the other side is doing my head in a little, but I can suffer the asymmetric nature of it since it's shooting lovely and straight now. The mk12 MWS is not coming with me to Shift Your RIFTs because it was not happy hopping .45s, even at 2.32J which seems to be their DMR limit; it was only going to be a backup gun anyway, so I'll just swap it out for my m14 scout instead. I plan on using the m700 anyway, and that was shooting like a dream, so no drama there.

In terms of the gameplay, I only played in the morning. Lately my heart has been acting up (the symptoms are very light at least), so I didn't get as much sleep as I would've liked last night as it kept me up until 2am. I went out with the m700 and it was glorious. The weather was amazing! 18 - 20 degrees all day, barely any wind and lots of sun. Perfect airsoft weather! The thing that made the conditions horrible was just how much Worthing Airsoft has bushed up. Using anything with an MED right now is just difficult and a lot of the site is just impractical with a 30m radius of "no shoot". It's even more bushy than last year and it gets more bushy with every year it seems because it's largely uncontrolled. We have a lot more bushes sprouting up everywhere and it's making sight lines impossible, especially when firing from prone as I tend to do when sniping. I still managed to get into a spot where eventually one of the marshalls just told the enemy team where I was and I got hosed, because I was singlehandedly stopping them advancing through one part of the site. I almost ran out of ammo, and with 4 mags with me that never happens at a skirmish day as I'm very disciplined with my shots (still only about 100 total as each mag is about 25rds, but I tend to only shoot if I know I'll hit). Very pleased with the new belt kit setup and extremely pleased with how well my new £97 ghillie cape and boonie setup worked. Taking that next weekend for sure!

All in all, very good day. Would've played the whole day, but I was pretty tired and I needed to make sure the m700 was shooting well (only fixed the off-centre scope after lunch) and had to test the MWS, which was lucky I did or I would've taken that to Shift Your RIFTs and it would've been dead weight. I need to pick up some .43s for it at some point, but I just don't want to spend the money yet.

Looking forward to Shift Your RIFTs next weekend. This was weekend #1 of 5 consecutive weekends as I have Worthing game days every 2 weeks, and in between I have Shift Your RIFTs and a Vietnam filmsim weekend. Roll on next weekend, and I hope the weather holds out!

1 hour ago, Egon_247 said:

Both my boys did airsoft with me, the youngest gave up because of an uncontrolled twat at dogtag. 

The eldest hasn't even unpacked his pews yet and that's usually the first thing he does, unpacked, cleaned and ready to rock.

I get it, you have bad days with anything you do but this was a bit much.

Dogtag does seem to have something of a reputation.  Hopefully, it hasn't put your eldest off.  My eldest used to play, but gave up because of frustration over non hit taking and rule breaking.  A few years later, a friend of his persuaded him to try Dogtag; he left at lunchtime and has not played since, although he has started making noises about possibly giving it another try.

2 hours ago, Egon_247 said:

Wow. Definitely sounds like one to avoid, I'm guessing things like this are the reason it was called dogshite in many faceache groups

48 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Dogtag does seem to have something of a reputation.  Hopefully, it hasn't put your eldest off.  My eldest used to play, but gave up because of frustration over non hit taking and rule breaking.  A few years later, a friend of his persuaded him to try Dogtag; he left at lunchtime and has not played since, although he has started making noises about possibly giving it another try.

Hope he does, it's awesome dad/son stuff and parenting is hard enough at the best of Times!! He's just got out of the shower and has shown me some of the dints he's got. 

I didn't know about it's reputation. Seems fair though.

18 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Wow. Definitely sounds like one to avoid, I'm guessing things like this are the reason it was called dogshite in many faceache groups

Didn't know this either. 🤣🤣

We will soldier on. 

The boy is too good to not get back on the horse, lock n load and raaaaa into the distance 🤣🤣🤣

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Good for him. I say treat it as a learning experience and vote with your wallet by playing elsewhere 

Agree, never understood why anybody would stick with a shite site that's full of cheaters ?...............

Unless of course it suits their playing style 😏

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

Hope he does, it's awesome dad/son stuff and parenting is hard enough at the best of Times!!

I doubt that he will; I am not sure when he would find time with his army reserve and cadet instructor commitments and often working weekends (He was at the Etihad today looking after the rigging for the flying camera that he installed yesterday and will dismantle tomorrow).  His younger brother plays regularly when he is down from university.

26 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Good for him. I say treat it as a learning experience and vote with your wallet by playing elsewhere

Agreed; that is why I will never go back to certain sites.

Edited by Colin Allen

2 hours ago, Skullchewer said:

Apparently Gunman Alpha only runs once a month, doing these special events on a Saturday, while their Beta site, just around the corner,  is the usual Sunday skirmish.

I'll definitely be going along next month for another filmsim day, although I need to borrow some stuff as it's a nam event, with kit restrictions. 

I'll be totally unbiased and say "go VC/NVA because it's cheaper and more flexible to get the kit and it's more fun!", totally not because I will be there as VC and I believe Mr. @Tactical Pith Helmet will be as well. At the last one I almost walked across the fields to the Bravo site because I heard airsoft noises in that direction while I was sneaking about. Fortunately I turned back because I also suspected I could've been heading off-site. At least I didn't have any guns on me because I was roleplaying a civvie with a radio so if I did wander off and bump into someone I would't have anything worrying on me :P 

But yes, I agree with everything you said about Gunman. Top site and top blokes running it.

Also, don't suppose you would know if they had enacted their sniper ban at Eversley yet? I suspect they have done so or will do so soon, as during the summer they tend to have a sniper ban due to lines of sight being restricted (I find it amusing because it's nowhere near as rough as Worthing!). I'll still be bringing my bolt action, but it'd be good to know if I should be setting it for 1.1J or 2.3J.

2 hours ago, Impulse said:

Also, don't suppose you would know if they had enacted their sniper ban at Eversley yet? 

Not yet, but Johnny said it's imminent.

The ferns are getting high, and the rhododendrons are thick, so it needs to happen soon. 

Most of my guys will be US I imagine, but I am VERY tempted to turn up on the day as vc.

Stop reading this, Mark 🤪

Is that an Iraqi Fedayeen helmet or do you also cosplay as Dark Helmet?

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Is that an Iraqi Fedayeen helmet or do you also cosplay as Dark Helmet?

Neither. I made it for the event. It's a Fast helmet from eBay with polypropylene stuck around the edge and finished with car trim. The code discs are from eBay as well. It's based on the Imperial helmets from the Andor series.

20240422_195716.jpg

Edited by RebelScum

Posted (edited)

Went to AWA Herts today. It wasn't a great day and I won't be back (at least not for a fair while!). It just wasn't good and frankly, there didn't seem like the potential it would ever be good. 

1. Timings, they were late starting and then finished early for lunch. Lunch was almost 1 hour 45 minutes. Between each game it was a trek back to the safe zone for more time wasting. End of the day, there wasn't enough people with bbs to have another game before the day ran out....so they ended it early. 

2. The games were very funnelled and limited ability to do anything other than a full frontal attach, the game zones aren't marked or explained before games, but when you've been hunkered down for ages and you're 3 metres outside the zone you'll get told. 

3. Hit taking (for me) wasn't bad (for a member of my group doing his first game, it was terrible), but it wasn't great either. 

4. The site has a few set piece areas, they're a trek from the safe zone and frankly either not used well or it's just a dull woodland site. 

5. Swamp like mud and water. I get its very hard to manage drainage on a site, but they've been going at least 13 years and everywhere was like a swamp with little to nothing to prevent players having to go through 7-8 inch deep streams/ditches (3-4 feet wide) between the safe zone and game areas (and in game areas). No sign of bridges, anything on the paths to improve drainage etc. 

The staff were all friendly enough, took feedback etc but I got the impression nothing will change. I just can't see how I could justify going there when much better is available for similar money. 

It wasn't terrible, such as arsey marshalls. But there just wasn't anything really positive. 

Edited by Emergencychimps
Added the n't on wasn't....changes the whole point.

58 minutes ago, Emergencychimps said:

Went to AWA Herts today. It wasn't a great day and I won't be back (at least not for a fair while!). It just wasn't good and frankly, there didn't seem like the potential it would ever be good. 

1. Timings, they were late starting and then finished early for lunch. Lunch was almost 1 hour 45 minutes. Between each game it was a trek back to the safe zone for more time wasting. End of the day, there was enough people with bbs to have another game before the day ran out....so they ended it early. 

2. The games were very funnelled and limited ability to do anything other than a full frontal attach, the game zones aren't marked or explained before games, but when you've been hunkered down for ages and you're 3 metres outside the zone you'll get told. 

3. Hit taking (for me) wasn't bad (for a member of my group doing his first game, it was terrible), but it wasn't great either. 

4. The site has a few set piece areas, they're a trek from the safe zone and frankly either not used well or it's just a dull woodland site. 

5. Swamp like mud and water. I get its very hard to manage drainage on a site, but they've been going at least 13 years and everywhere was like a swamp with little to nothing to prevent players having to go through 7-8 inch deep streams/ditches (3-4 feet wide) between the safe zone and game areas (and in game areas). No sign of bridges, anything on the paths to improve drainage etc. 

The staff were all friendly enough, took feedback etc but I got the impression nothing will change. I just can't see how I could justify going there when much better is available for similar money. 

It wasn't terrible, such as arsey marshalls. But there just wasn't anything really positive. 

That is a shame; too many sites are not delivering what they should.  I think there are some AWA regulars on here; if there are, it will be interesting to see their responses.