Mosquitos. Evil.

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Playing in woodland, you expect a few mozzies.
However, at the weekend, it ALL the mozzies.
And they were evil little fuckers. Some lads ended up going home early from being bitten so much.
I saw on FB today one lad ended up in hospital.
And me? That's what's left of my back in the pic.
So - WTF??????? How do you defend against these evil little fuckers?
Any tips/hints much appreciated. And no, not playing in woodland is not an option 😂

IMG_0615.JPG

Wow!!!

You sure thats from mozzies?

Unusual for getting under clothing especially with a moving victim.

More likely ticks of fleas I would think...

There are gel sticks (like anti-perspirants) to repel them all.

Ask in a pharmacy.

• Supporters

there are plenty of options out there for anti mosquito repellent.

that does look bad, i remember back in my atc days doing a night ex and me and another chap were hiding in a bunker we'd made. i'd been wise enough to spray up before going out but the other fellow wasn't so lucky. next day he looked like he's run a birthday gauntlet against a minigun

If you're playing a game day, the night before have a nice hot curry. Or something with plenty of garlic. Lemon grass and a lot of those type of spices tend to drive mosquitos away. Also, believe it or not having a skinful the night before will deter them from drinking your polluted blood.

Crack on lads, hangovers at briefing.

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

You sure thats from mozzies?

Unusual for getting under clothing especially with a moving victim.

Common misconception - Mozzies don't care about clothes! - They just go through them 😞
And yup, it was definitely mozzies. They were EVERYWHERE. Killed loads of them, whilst they were stuck in to me!

Doesn't help that the direct translation of your tattoo reads:- "All you can eat buffet!" 🖤

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Huxley said:

i know even the nazi's wouldnt use substance n, but if ever there was a situation that called for it then that's it......

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

Common misconception - Mozzies don't care about clothes! - They just go through them 😞
And yup, it was definitely mozzies. They were EVERYWHERE. Killed loads of them, whilst they were stuck in to me!

Blimey, that is nasty.

Solution... eat the buggers... (more protein than meat apparently)

• Supporters

Best thing for stopping the scourge that is the  mozzie is Avon Skin so soft dry oil spray , bloody awesome stuff ! A LOT of guys in the forces swear by it , and the Royal Marines up in Faslane practically have a standing order with a couple of the local Avon ladies ! 😂

• Supporters

Personally for mozzies i use this stuff:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dabur-Odomos-Mosquito-Repellent-Cream/dp/B015RY3HP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528144033&sr=8-2&keywords=odomos

Its called Odomos and it originates from India but is freely sold here fro amazon.

Doesnt have the funny smell or oily feeling like DEET and leaves your skin soft.

Normal application will last about 6 to 8 hours.

I normally use it when i go back home to Mauritius as those mozzies love my Europeanised blood.

Also as a point of note, for mozzies, we (humans) do have the capability of wiping them out and i am all for it.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Shizbazki said:

Also as a point of note, for mozzies, we (humans) do have the capability of wiping them out and i am all for it.

indeed, i remember seeing that about the disease they have, something about sterylising all the males but leaving the females intact to spread the disease as far as possible?

i recall the argument against doing it was along the lines of "we don't really know what it'd to to the ecosystem", like it's the first time humanity has played god with species.

Oh that looks sore! I'm so glad I'm one of the weird people that insects don't like biting me 😅

There are loads of ways to discourage insects from biting.

Deet is usually the most effective. However one of the key things is to not make yourself smell "nice". Don't over apply deodorant, or perfumed soap and such. The sweet smell attracts insects. 

Also, covering up with a skin tight base layer can help, especially if it is tightly weaved. 

12 hours ago, CiderPunk said:

DEET - accept no substitute - highest percentage you can find

+1 for DEET, although be careful with it - it melts plastic. My Suunto Vector watch got wrecked by the stuff.

On a positive note though, nothing bit me! 😁

• Head Moderator

Try using a string vest under your T-shirt / shirt / top.  A string vest lifts any clothing off your skin so that biting insects cannot actually reach your body.  You should not overheat, they can help keep you cool as sweat will evaporate, wicked away, and damp clothing is not sticking to you.

LIke I said, eat some foods that make your body odour unnatural. Lemon grass, garlic, ginger, loads of spices etc will all help keep them away. A great one way is smoothies; carrot, lemon grass, ginger, curry powder and  pinch of garlic in a smoothie is not only deliscious but they will not come near you.

Or don't and waste your money on chemicals that don't work and get eaten to fuck.

7 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I take garlic tablets through the summer to avoid any mozzies plus the added highest factor jungle formula you can get but I will still ravaged by the mutant ones in colchester this weekend!!

They won't give you the body odour you desire, they're utilised for blood disorders and will have zero effect on whether or not they bite you, which you obviously already know. T

ry my method. Someone. Please. Honestly it does work.

Just now, Duff said:

LIke I said, eat some foods that make your body odour unnatural. Lemon grass, garlic, ginger, loads of spices etc will all help keep them away. A great one way is smoothies; carrot, lemon grass, ginger, curry powder and  pinch of garlic in a smoothie is not only deliscious but they will not come near you.

Or don't and waste your money on chemicals that don't work and get eaten to fuck.

They won't give you the body odour you desire, they're utilised for blood disorders and will have zero effect on whether or not they bite you, which you obviously already know. T

ry my method. Someone. Please. Honestly it does work.

You say that but since I started taking them last year midges and mozzies of the normal type dont bother me at all and I am always in the garden or in outdoors environments....

The Mozzies at Raw in Colchester are something else though, you could use napalm and the fuckers would still survive it, saw one walking off with a small child once...

14 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

You say that but since I started taking them last year midges and mozzies of the normal type dont bother me at all and I am always in the garden or in outdoors environments....

The Mozzies at Raw in Colchester are something else though, you could use napalm and the fuckers would still survive it, saw one walking off with a small child once...

Trust me, suplements and the actual thing differ greatly. You're taking a suplement right? Basically what people take when they don't want to eat the foods that contain whatever it is they want inside their bodies. Garlis is pretty weak but combined with lemon grass and ginger, they will not touch you.

Try it at Colchester and report back.

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Duff said:

A great one way is smoothies; carrot, lemon grass, ginger, curry powder and  pinch of garlic in a smoothie is not only deliscious but they will not come near you.

Do you wear a tie dye shirt and sandals as well ? 

Fecking hippie ! 😳

Just now, Duff said:

Trust me, suplements and the actual thing differ greatly. You're taking a suplement right? Basically what people take when they don't want to eat the foods that contain whatever it is they want inside their bodies. Garlis is pretty weak but combined with lemon grass and ginger, they will not touch you.

Try it at Colchester and report back.

To be honest I don't know if they are classed as supplements or not, they certainly don't come from the same section where you would find vitamins etc. thanks for the info though, maybe it could be a coincidence that since taking them without bug spray I've been fine or maybe not.

Ill have a look at the mixture and see if it works in Colchester haha!

8 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Do you wear a tie dye shirt and sandals as well ? 

Fecking hippie ! 😳

I'm a lover and a fighter, come at me!

I actually suspect these are more likely to be horse flies.

Deet is your friend. Go for the extra strong Jungle Formula in Boots.

Archived