M249 Vrs L86

sp00n
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

guys i need your help :(

i have been considering getting a support gun (as i think it suits my playing style, staying slightly back and sniping/suppressing the opponent), and i am at a loss so to which to go for.

i am thinking A&K for the M249 Para, and ICS for the L86.

But i really don't know which to go for, each have there pro's and con's, but i am hoping someone can give me a little insight having maybe used each.

i have to admit so far i have not had a go with either (except when i was in army cadets and had a go with the real steel L86 ;) )

thanks in advance B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in real life i would choose the m249 as the L86 isnt actually a support weapon, its a pointless piece of crap that they dont really use anymore, 249 looks better and from the experience of getting shot by it i think its pretty good.

• Supporters

Well, in my opinion using the L86 as a support gun is pointless, because anything with a high cap is basically a support gun. Though if you set it up right, it can give you spectacular range and accuracy and it also has a single shot fire mode, should you ever take it to any urban sites and have to take it indoors.

But, given that it's so massive and no better at being a support gun than a regular AEG, I'd say to go for the M249. The only downside of that they weigh a monumentally stupid amount which can make them hard to use on the move - though, it is a support gun, so the idea is to hang back and cover others as they advance.

Using V2 gearboxes (I think), or at least using V2 parts, you ought to be able to make it pretty accurate at range with excellent consistency too, so there's no reason you can push it for the range and accuracy of the L86.

in real life i would choose the m249 as the L86 isnt actually a support weapon, its a pointless piece of crap that they dont really use anymore, 249 looks better and from the experience of getting shot by it i think its pretty good.

Ahh, that will be why the ACF have an abundance of L86's and I had to do my WHT and AI course to teach cadets to use it.

• Supporters

Well, in my opinion using the L86 as a support gun is pointless, because anything with a high cap is basically a support gun. Though if you set it up right, it can give you spectacular range and accuracy and it also has a single shot fire mode, should you ever take it to any urban sites and have to take it indoors.

But, given that it's so massive and no better at being a support gun than a regular AEG, I'd say to go for the M249. The only downside of that they weigh a monumentally stupid amount which can make them hard to use on the move - though, it is a support gun, so the idea is to hang back and cover others as they advance.

Using V2 gearboxes (I think), or at least using V2 parts, you ought to be able to make it pretty accurate at range with excellent consistency too, so there's no reason you can push it for the range and accuracy of the L86.

i do agree with you regarding the hicap, that said i do like my hicaps :lol: , i do also like to single shot, and the m249 is auto only :(

what is bothering me is i have heard some horror stories regarding the A&K m249's hop :unsure: , and how there is no replacement/alternative etc, how the nub is the wrong way round :wacko: its quite bonkers.

the weight isnt really an issue i dont think (might be on a skirmish though :lol: ), and in a skirmish i do tend to stay slightly back and suppress etc B)

Maybe the new VFC M27 IAR? The USMC are fielding them as infantry support weapons, so just stick a bipod and one of those extended length STANAG style magazines on and it won't look bad in the role.

Used to do a lot of support gunning both in Milsim and general walk-on days. Haven't done it in recently though, as I mostly play at an all-indoors CQB site these days. Anyway -

First off - type of play style - milsim or general play? (And where...)

2nd, weight & comfort - what are you actually capable or willing to hold all day.

3rd - parts compatibility/accessories/magazines

4th - which looks better to you.

If it's general play, then frankly an M249 is utterly pointless. Everyone has access to midcaps/hicaps, carrying an M249 will only put you at a disadvantage - it's big, bulky and heavy. Literally everyone can put out suppressing fire. You're putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage. If you want to play as the support role in a non-milsim game day, then the L86 would be more than fine.

If you're a heavy milsim player, and go to strict milsim events, then go for the M249. For obvious reasons, low/midcaps feeding an LSW aren't going to be very useful.

2nd point is fairly self explanatory. Try and get a feel for both of them. This is especially important for the M249 due to just how many are available. University team-mate bought a para-stock version of the M249 without trying one, absolutely hates the balance. Full stock M249 isn't too bad. The L86 is long and slim, the M249 is fat and bulky. While the weight of the LSW is balanced around the pistol grip, I seem to recall most of the M249 variants are pretty front heavy.

3rd point - not absolutely important, but useful - both for saving money and helping your team. I'm not sure which (if at all any) of the airsoft M249s actually have functioning STANAG magwells. At least with the LSW, you can share magazines with any of your mates who also use STANAG weapons. Optic-wise, the L86 doesn't have any RIS space, you have to buy either an adaptor 20mm rail, or a replacement rail. (That said, iron sights are adequate for support gunning, and both the M249 and LSW iron sights are fine)

4th - can't help you there. I was always fond of the LSW, it's the reason why I got it.

But - really, unless you're playing milsim games, with strict ammunition limits, I can't see why you would want the M249. Aside from how it looks (machine gun = intimidating) It's utterly pointless, it's just a bigger, heavier, bulkier AEG.

• Supporters

the A&K M249's all take a stanag mag in the magwell if needed, so mag choice becomes irrelevant.

They also arent as heavy as people tend to make out. yes, they're not small, but that is really the problem, rather than weight, it's bulky.

of the 249's, the Para is least bulky, but perceived weight is more than the other variants due to silly stock, MK2 would be the one to go for, plus you can fit a huge battery in the full stock on it.

Parts compativility shouldn't be an issue, they take standard parts and the '86 has many spares available at fire-support.

i'd have the 249 MK2 out of the choices, and a G&P MK23 Stoner out of them all - large mag, light weight, skinny, V2 gearbox, selectable fire? yes please. (no, really, have a serious look at them, they're awesome)

• Supporters

One thing people have so far overlooked, is that if you get an M249, you're probably not going to have anything to put it in to get it to your site.

They tend not to fit into regular rifle bags because they're wide, as well as tall and long.

I'd probably get a para stock one if it was me looking to get one, but that's partly because I've already had an L86 and partly because my mate's got a TOP M249, with CA internals put into it, made externally to resemble to British version of the M249, the L110A1, and it's freakin' awesome.

• Supporters

Used to do a lot of support gunning both in Milsim and general walk-on days. Haven't done it in recently though, as I mostly play at an all-indoors CQB site these days. Anyway -

First off - type of play style - milsim or general play? (And where...)

2nd, weight & comfort - what are you actually capable or willing to hold all day.

3rd - parts compatibility/accessories/magazines

4th - which looks better to you.

If it's general play, then frankly an M249 is utterly pointless. Everyone has access to midcaps/hicaps, carrying an M249 will only put you at a disadvantage - it's big, bulky and heavy. Literally everyone can put out suppressing fire. You're putting yourself at an unnecessary disadvantage. If you want to play as the support role in a non-milsim game day, then the L86 would be more than fine.

If you're a heavy milsim player, and go to strict milsim events, then go for the M249. For obvious reasons, low/midcaps feeding an LSW aren't going to be very useful.

2nd point is fairly self explanatory. Try and get a feel for both of them. This is especially important for the M249 due to just how many are available. University team-mate bought a para-stock version of the M249 without trying one, absolutely hates the balance. Full stock M249 isn't too bad. The L86 is long and slim, the M249 is fat and bulky. While the weight of the LSW is balanced around the pistol grip, I seem to recall most of the M249 variants are pretty front heavy.

3rd point - not absolutely important, but useful - both for saving money and helping your team. I'm not sure which (if at all any) of the airsoft M249s actually have functioning STANAG magwells. At least with the LSW, you can share magazines with any of your mates who also use STANAG weapons. Optic-wise, the L86 doesn't have any RIS space, you have to buy either an adaptor 20mm rail, or a replacement rail. (That said, iron sights are adequate for support gunning, and both the M249 and LSW iron sights are fine)

4th - can't help you there. I was always fond of the LSW, it's the reason why I got it.

But - really, unless you're playing milsim games, with strict ammunition limits, I can't see why you would want the M249. Aside from how it looks (machine gun = intimidating) It's utterly pointless, it's just a bigger, heavier, bulkier AEG.

to be honest i have not done any milsim, i guess you could say i was more general. I am also not a member or any team etc, i just do walk on's atm, but i do go regularly to a few local'ish sites. the nearest to me is an indoor site and i doubit i would use it there, however i do play alot of outdoor/woodland/open sites and that would be the place i would use it.

as for weight, i do abit of weight training, so it might not be a major issue once i am used to it (before i started weights i used to think my G&G cm16 raider was heavy .... feels light now :wacko: )

unfortunatly for me there is not many airsoft shops near me ... the nearest being an hours drive away :angry: so getting a feel would be an pain, but it is something i plan on doing before money parts wallet ;) .

for the mags, like Rock-climby-Dave pointed out, the a&k m249 take stanag's B) i am told they are basically a clone of the CA m249

like you i was fond of the LSW (when i was in cadets) and always said when funds allow i would get one, but i have been spoilt by my M4, which in my view feels better layed out (positioning of fire selectors/mag release etc).... i just dont want another m4 though so i have ruled alot of other guns out etc.

i have also been thinking alot about the stock, i watched a video on youtube the other day, and i am not that impressed with the para stock. sure it looks cool, but it didnt look that stable, and that got me thinking, all my guns (except pistols) have stocks (i fitted a stock to my TM mp5k) .... i am lost with out a stock :wacko::unsure:

i keep leaning towards the LSW, then back to a m249 .... at this rate i am going to have to have both :lol::lol: (and a lottery win to pay for it all :lol: )

what about an MG36? their cheaper! you can fit a magwell adapter in 2 seconds to take a stanag mag and you get integrated red dot and 3.5x zoom scope.

Ahh, that will be why the ACF have an abundance of L86's and I had to do my WHT and AI course to teach cadets to use it.

yer army prob gave them all to the cadets as army use the minime and GPMG more. well makes sense you would have to do an instructors course to teach it.

• Supporters

what about an MG36? their cheaper! you can fit a magwell adapter in 2 seconds to take a stanag mag and you get integrated red dot and 3.5x zoom scope.

Sorry to say this, but I have never been a fan of the G36 in any of its varients. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

One thing people have so far overlooked, is that if you get an M249, you're probably not going to have anything to put it in to get it to your site.

They tend not to fit into regular rifle bags because they're wide, as well as tall and long.

I'd probably get a para stock one if it was me looking to get one, but that's partly because I've already had an L86 and partly because my mate's got a TOP M249, with CA internals put into it, made externally to resemble to British version of the M249, the L110A1, and it's freakin' awesome.

hmmm, as stupid as it may sound, I used to carry my ak in my massive 88ltr rucksack although I had to put it in diagonally. Plenty of space in a rucksack for a bulky m249.

I would definitely go for the M249 for a support gun.

As said before the L86 isn't a support gun and trying to lay down any significant amount of fire would be very difficult especially compares to a M249 with a box mag.

Also I use an M249 and they are very enjoyable! The level of fire one can lay down compared to a regular hi-caps is quite a lot, its also sustained which is important.

Although the weight may put people off its not too bad especially if you use it like a support gun, running and gunning is somewhat difficult :D

Reading Hubert's post again I don't think a M249 puts you at a disadvantage at a regular skirmish, since I've been playing I think its given me an advantage. The idea that a hi-cap is just the same usefulness a 2500rd electric box mag is silly. The reason many sites (even non milsim ones) ban box mags on regular guns is it give them too much of an advantage, the weight is the disadvantage for the etra ammo.

Also when the batteries in my box mag ran out mid game I used a regular M4 hi-cap and could not lay down near as much fire as I had done before. Support guns are a very useful asset to a team, even if it is just your team for the day.

I've had people come up to me in the safe zone saying that (especially when I was defending) they tried to avoid me as much as possible as they found it so difficult to get past

• Supporters

The real M249s are hated as they aren't exactly reliable, it jams like it is a feature. It would also explain why they are at least partly being replaced by M27s as TacMaster mentions.

Abundance? There's only 1 per company in my county

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

would you believe, when i wrote this, i wanted the 249 more .... after reading the posts the first time, i was thinking L86

re-reading it now .... back to 249 :lol::lol::lol::lol: (mk2 though ;) )

I'll have to reiterate what fave has said, look at the G&P mk23 stoner, yes they are a lot of money but that being said, the build quality is epic, need nothing doing at all out of the box, stupendous range for a support gun, lighter than 249, more usable etc etc etc

I've got an MK46 myself, will fit in my rifle bag no prob, yeah it's heavy, cumbersome and eating bb's like there going out of fashion, but hey what a smile it brings to my face when I see a line of bb's flying though the air as the enemy are running and ducking for cover,

Also the psychological factor of a M249 is far greater than that of an LSW

• 1 month later...

Your best bet is second hand.. these can often be a better option as some of the minor issues have already been tweaked so its probably more likely to work smoothly

Archived