Which retailers in the UK accept Just-Cos Cosplayer Insurance?

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Tackle said:

My understanding is there are a number of friendly retailers, such as firesupport, that are happy to confirm the validity of ukara details, including the address for delivery. 

Curious, since used sales are in direct competition with new sales, and retailers pay for the UKARA scheme.

I don't think there's much of a GDPR (as was) compliance issue with a yes/no confirmation of details provided.  That's the very purpose that the person who provided them wanted them used for.  Notionally, you could use this to confirm that Joe Bloggs lives at 62 West Wallaby Street for purposes other than flogging them a RIF, but since you also need the UKARA number then it's almost certain that Joe has given it to you specifically to allow you to do this.

One thing: if UKARA did leak your data, who would you go after?  The site provides no contact details for whoever is running it, no address, no company number, only the ICO number of ZA031959.

https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/ZA031959

This (as a matter of public record) give the address of a farmhouse in Cornwall nowhere near any airsoft site or retailer, but not the name of an individual or business.

Data controller: UNITED KINGDOM AIRSOFT RETAILERS ASSOCIATION

Address:

Hollygrove
Woodford
BUDE
CORNWALL
EX23 9JL

Companies House has an entry for a "UKARA LIMITED", involved in "94120 - Activities of professional membership organisations"  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12865652

This was incorporated on 8 September 2020 by one Mr Haroon Al-Rashid Dawood Atchia of 20 Eversley Road, Bexhill-On-Sea, East Sussex, England, TN40 1HE, but it claimed to have gone dormant in 2021, then filed accounts for FY 2022 showing £15,000+ of debt.

All somewhat opaque.  I mean, how can you trust someone with your details if you don't know theirs?

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Curious, since used sales are in direct competition with new sales, and retailers pay for the UKARA scheme.

I don't think there's much of a GDPR (as was) compliance issue with a yes/no confirmation of details provided.  That's the very purpose that the person who provided them wanted them used for.  Notionally, you could use this to confirm that Joe Bloggs lives at 62 West Wallaby Street for purposes other than flogging them a RIF, but since you also need the UKARA number then it's almost certain that Joe has given it to you specifically to allow you to do this.

One thing: if UKARA did leak your data, who would you go after?  The site provides absolutely zero contact details, no address, no company number, only the ICO number of ZA031959.

https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/ZA031959

This (as a matter of public record) give the address of a farmhouse in Cornwall nowhere near any airsoft site or retailer, but not the name of an individual or business.

Data controller: UNITED KINGDOM AIRSOFT RETAILERS ASSOCIATION

Address:

Hollygrove
Woodford
BUDE
CORNWALL
EX23 9JL

Companies House has an entry for a "UKARA LIMITED", involved in "94120 - Activities of professional membership organisations"  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12865652

This was incorporated on 8 September 2020 by one Mr Haroon Al-Rashid Dawood Atchia of 20 Eversley Road, Bexhill-On-Sea, East Sussex, England, TN40 1HE, but it claimed to have gone dormant in 2021, then filed accounts for FY 2022 showing £15,000+ of debt.

All somewhat opaque.  I mean, how can you trust someone with your details if you don't know who they are, or how to obtain relief?

Blimey, that's an eye opener, thankfully I don't seem to sell gats anymore, I'm choosing to hoard them instead, for the impending zombie apocalypse 🤣

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

That is a different organisation that has nothing to do with airsoft.

On 06/03/2024 at 14:04, Tackle said:

If your a criminal reading this thread & are thinking about turning an IF in to a RIF, look at the pretty light 😉

йокелемене-men-in-black.gif

It didn't work, and you are not Will Smith. 

10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Back when I first got into airsoft about 15 years ago, I used to play at a site called Ironfoot Airsoft on a farm in Bude deepest darkest Cornwall, the chap who ran that site also had a store and claimed to be the chap who made/ran the UKARA database. One day in an act of desperation I needed to buy a new gun urgently out of hours as heading off for a game the next day, gave him a call and asked if I could come collect from his store that evening. Had a cuppa in his farm house whilst he looked me up on the almighty UKARA database, which was an excel spreadsheet on his kitchen lovely beige Windows 98 looking tower PC that anyone who went to school in the 90s would recognise.

Ironfoot seems to no longer exist, cant find anything on the web about them beyond a few mentions of them in old airsoft forums of ye olde days. No idea what happened to them or the chap running it. He was fairly old back then, may no longer be with us. Looking on google maps at the postcode, I can see the milking barns we used to use as a CQB arena are still there but the farmhouse itself seems to have been demolished.

Edited by Tiercel

14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I wouldnt want to be, he's a Cn#t, & I've not made up my mind about you yet either😜

The only safe thing to do is to decide that he is a cnut and wait to see if he proves not to be.

6 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

The only safe thing to do is to decide that he is a cnut and wait to see if he proves not to be.

I used to be a virgina, I hope I've proved not to be 😉

11 minutes ago, Shamal said:

I used to be a virgina, I hope I've proved not to be 😉

I think you have 😝 Did you get the Ares sorted?

Edited by Colin Allen

9 hours ago, Tiercel said:

Back when I first got into airsoft about 15 years ago, I used to play at a site called Ironfoot Airsoft on a farm in Bude deepest darkest Cornwall, the chap who ran that site also had a store and claimed to be the chap who made/ran the UKARA database. One day in an act of desperation I needed to buy a new gun urgently out of hours as heading off for a game the next day, gave him a call and asked if I could come collect from his store that evening. Had a cuppa in his farm house whilst he looked me up on the almighty UKARA database, which was an excel spreadsheet on his kitchen lovely beige Windows 98 looking tower PC that anyone who went to school in the 90s would recognise.

Ironfoot seems to no longer exist, cant find anything on the web about them beyond a few mentions of them in old airsoft forums of ye olde days. No idea what happened to them or the chap running it. He was fairly old back then, may no longer be with us. Looking on google maps at the postcode, I can see the milking barns we used to use as a CQB arena are still there but the farmhouse itself seems to have been demolished.

Was that Graham McLellan?

8 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

I think you have 😝 Did you get the Ares sorted?

Yes its back up and running thanks.

You were on the right track. It was the piston.Some teeth had got knocked off. 

54 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Was that Graham McLellan?

No idea, was so long ago can’t remember any names I’m afraid.

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Yes its back up and running thanks.

You were on the right track. It was the piston.Some teeth had got knocked off. 

Ares pistons have a habit of doing that.  They are junk.

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

That is a different organisation that has nothing to do with airsoft.

I'd be (randomly) fascinated to know what it is, given the name, the type of business, and the debts its run up.

11 hours ago, Tiercel said:

No idea what happened to them or the chap running it. He was fairly old back then, may no longer be with us.

[Concern intensifies]

22 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

UKARA Limited is the UK Authorised Representatives Association apparently

I found that too but still not convinced that its linked to that guy.   You're right!

image.thumb.png.43be2e7ebf14aff2a27cf1e7856d0742.png

Seems he has been involved in the Medical Device supplies industry for awhile, looking at his profile.  My assumption is that his UKARA is possibly some kind of failed start-up, especially given the timing (2020!).  Maybe he didn't have enough buddies in the Tory party.

I might be wrong though, didn't see any real details on the UK Authorised Rep site gave a start-up date.

Do you think we can get our RIFs reclassified as medical devices and go through these guys instead?

Edited by Jamsandwich

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sadly, it appears that we'd have to be Responsible Persons. :( 

F#ck that🤪

8 hours ago, Shamal said:

I'm very responsible.

I'm responsible for breaking the washing machine,(even though I don't use it), responsible for loosing the shed key,black marks on the Egyptian bathroom towels,I'll give her that one. Oh and I'm responsible for putting holes in the plant pots.yeah me again🫣

Universal constants my dude.... I'm responsible for shit I'm not even in the same time zone of apparently.

Just remember - the more right you are the more in the shyte you will be.  Just say sorry and shut up.  That's the advice I told the boy - and it seems to be working with his new missus LOL.  I on the other hand should learn to listen to my own advice.  gonnagetit.gif

On 19/03/2024 at 22:25, Tommikka said:

GDPR requires information held to be used for the purposes for which that information was collected 

Using the GDPR as an excuse to not confirm details could be a breach of the GDPR in itself - particularly if the subject provided their reference details to a third party on the basis that the third party may request verification

An address is personal data, the GDPR does not prevent the release of personal data - but to do so must be valid 

Sorry I meant they can't just provide it but they can confirm it