Lightweight AEG Recommendations

AGR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I’m in my late 40’s and for the past 2 years my now 15 yr old son has dragged me into Airsoft. I’m now 100% in love with it. We play both indoor CQB and outdoors regularly at our local sites. I have arthritis in my right shoulder (right handed) and for outdoors I currently use a Cyma AK74U CM0.45 with some more modern furniture, which is a heavy beast. I’m looking to get a new AEG for outdoor use but it has to be light, as in around or sub 2 kgs. 

Can anyone please recommend an AEG that is lightweight, be it AK, M4 ?

Many thanks

Just weighed my Double Eagle M904G, which feels light compared to my other gats, with a red dot, a foregrip and a mag it tips the scales at 2.3kg   

To get below that I think one of the cheaper Cyma M4's might do the trick.  Not sure which model number I handled at Spec Ops but a young kid had one, and he was happy with it.  It felt quite a bit more fragile than the DE does but it was definitely 'fly weight'

I think Patrolbase has one on their front page at the moment.

I'd still recommend the DE (of course!)

• Supporters

sounds like a polymer bodied m4 would be the logical choice, i'm tempted to say arp9 would suit quite well.

although i must admit outside of the weight requirement or an absolute desire for dat blued steel an e&l provides the cm045 is a damn fine choice of gat.

Some kind of M4 (either stubby or medium sized) which has polymer upper and lower receiver would suit you the best (probably). Like some cheap specna for example around 100 quid.

Cyma uses pot metal basically on every gun (except P90) so they aren't gonna be light. 

I don't think any kind of AK is gonna be sub 2kg. 

If you fancy something different you could have a look at PCC's. ARP9 is a lovely gun out of box.

You could check SMG's as well. MP5K or MP5K PDW (Marui) are featherweight. Just bear in mind that the trigger is shit on a vanilla V3 gearbox without mosfet.

Edited by Krisz

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Krisz said:

I don't think any kind of AK worth using is gonna be sub 2kg. 

ftfy :P

8 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

Another good option, but they're not cheap, is an ASG Scorpion Evo as they're compact and light.

not sure on the actual weight, but the asg evo's are mean little gats in stock form, definitely worthy of consideration.

34 minutes ago, Krisz said:

Cyma uses pot metal basically on every gun (except P90) so they aren't gonna be light

I was thinking of this one...

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-515-m4a1-carbine-w-keymod-handguard

1.88kg according to the specs

No love for the G36? Picked up a TM one (non-recoil) recently, and it's ridiculously light, especially if you ditch the unnecessary rails/handstop (which is inexplicably made of pot metal). Okay, marginally heavier than the MP5K, but probably more capable in the field.

46 minutes ago, Gunboat Diplomat said:

I wonder if it's worth considering a bullpup?  The rear weight bias that you can tuck under your arm rather than having out in front might reduce the stress on your shoulder.

I just let my daughter's boyfriend have a blast with my TM AUG High Cycle.  He loved it 😋. Compact, reasonably light, and rear-biased, as you say.  Very good 👍

Arp9 or any smaller smg could be good.

Also could be worth trying a two point sling, it will change how the load is distributed.

My go to gnu in this...

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyber-gun-fn-scar-aeg?pv=16775

Bought it as a two tone before my UKARA kicked in, it's light & been very reliable, uses M4 mags & is my favourite pew to run about with.

I have a metal & polymer version that feels twice as heavy but haven't skirmished it yet.

• Supporters
On 15/09/2023 at 19:33, Hatchet said:

No love for the G36?

Actually, yes, G36C is a good shout. The CYMA claims 2.3kg, the JG 2.4kg, but as you say, the front rails are surprisingly heavy (and removable). If you're running an optic, then you can remove the iron sights, and even lose the stock if you want to shave every gram.  Actually, every gram would be losing the top rail as well, and eyeballing it. ;) 

Bullpups are also viable, as are "SMGs" (everything's shooting 5.95mm BBs).  A P90 come in at 2kg, and is very handy.

Whatever you go with, one thing I'd suggest is considering an optic on a tall riser. Not having to hold the gun up at your eye level can make a big difference, and all the tacticool room-clearing bois are loving having an extra 2" of erection.

I have actually run this in CQB and it works well, especially with a full face paintball mask.  Bit of an issue with shooting through windows and such, but that's less of an issue outdoors.

image.thumb.png.bb315e586b44ff977101cefa50aee099.png

41 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Actually, every gram would be losing the top rail as well, and eyeballing it. ;) 

Losing every gram would leave you with a catapult or a straw! Lol

Lancer Tactical - LT-35 Battle X 9mm PDW AEG Gen.2 | Patrol Base UK

1.7kg

(I can't comment on performance but should be useable for outdoor games)

EDIT: Reviews seem to be positive. Search 'Lancer Tactical LT-35'

Edited by EDcase

Some interesting and overlooked (by me) options, thank you all. 

However, I recently got my son a TM mp7 for his birthday. He has just said that I could use that outdoors as he's loved up with his, and my ak's. 

Additional mags and that could work, couldn't it? 

2 minutes ago, AGR said:

However, I recently got my son a TM mp7 for his birthday. He has just said that I could use that outdoors as he's loved up with his, and my ak's. 

It definitely could, although you'll need a few extra mags and/or change how you play. However its worth noting that gbb mags tend to be relatively heavy so the weight soon ads up when you're carrying several.

GBBs tend to be easily outgunned against AEGs with high capacity magazines. Cold weather can affect GBBs in case you intend to play over Winter.

As Cannonfodder said, you'll need several magazines which are expensive and heavy.

Some people do use GBBs successfully so just saying look into it...

P90 is worth looking at good range for a small gun. you also have the plastic bodied ICS MP5s, I Had a G&G ARP9 which was light weight and handy. However i personally hand no problems but 3 of my team mates ARP9s broke in less than 6 months.

On 16/09/2023 at 12:40, AGR said:

Some interesting and overlooked (by me) options, thank you all. 

GBB MP7 or AEP?

GBB has many disadvantages. Mags aren't gonna be light and you need several and they cost a fortune. Questionable performance in cold weather.

Edited by Krisz

AEPs (Auto Electric Pistols) might be OK for CQB but trigger response is slow which isn't good in that situation and aren't powerful enough for woodland games.

The P90 could be a good contender if you like the style.

The cheaper ones (CYMA/JG) seem to be hard to find now though.

Edited by EDcase

I personally wouldn’t touch an aep. And aesthetically p90’s are about as attractive as the thought of a prostate exam. 

I had a very compact and decent powered specna arms SA-C10 a couple of years ago, all polymer and very lightweight. Sold it to fund current ak. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.