Special Forces Replica - What is and what is not realistic?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Not trying to pee on anyone's bonfire, so no offence to OP or anyone else, but I don't get the stitch counters, it's airsoft, copying the highest rated military forces of any country doesn't in turn make you special, lol might indicate you are speshul😋, but it's airsoft, use or wear whatever YOU like the look or feel of, 99.9% percent of players on site won't judge or critique you. 👍

To be honest you can turn up with the best looking gun out there and still no one gives a fuck or someone may say "nice M4 bruh". 🤣 Same regarding your outfit more or less. For some people drip is important and nothing wrong with that as long as they aren't delusional and they don't become elitist or toxic towards other people. It's more prevalent on a mil-sim event than on a normal skirmish when different people and playstyle mix.

But obviously I'm way after my honeymoon phase regarding airsoft I don't see the point to spend thousands more on this hobby.

Edited by Krisz

Suspension of disbelief in most cases, same reason people love to play video games (me included).

I suspect most would like to think they are living out the SF fantasy on a weekend because they don’t want to commit to actually becoming SF for their day job.

I just like fancy gear tailored to what I want to use but can certainly see the appeal of looking like a total badass 🙂

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Not trying to pee on anyone's bonfire, so no offence to OP or anyone else, but I don't get the stitch counters, it's airsoft, copying the highest rated military forces of any country doesn't in turn make you special, lol might indicate you are speshul😋, but it's airsoft, use or wear whatever YOU like the look or feel of, 99.9% percent of players on site won't judge or critique you. 👍

for some people the interest in firearms and collecting goes beyond the actual pew pew , they aren’t doing it for anyone else they are doing it because in the whole it’s a difficult challenge to piece together and satisfying once you get to the end . It’s a shame but for some reason there is way more negative “judgement” on people putting a lot of effort into their builds than there is in reverse . Just reading this thread tells you that those people are the first to try and offer advice and help to anyone else wanting to go that route 👍🏼

each to their own of course 🍻

14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I don't care much for stitch counters either since they can be insufferable bell-ends (I play Vietnam airsoft and other battlesim/filmsim stuff and fortunately haven't had the stitch counters come for me and my half-way-house loadouts yet...). For me as long as it passes the 10m at-a-glance test, it's fine. That said, I can see why some people like stitch counting and putting together authentic loadouts can be very fun; I tend to run with an idea rather than copying an existing military force, so at the moment I'm working on a civilian SHTF loadout and a more traditional post-apocalypse loadout which is more of a fashion statement than anything. I also like my "some sort of PMC" loadouts and CIA loadouts. Funnily enough, most of my loadouts trend towards more civvie style and I think the only loadout I have that is more military than civilian is my ghillie'd up scout sniper setup which is US military based (since I took a lot of inspiration from the publically available US army scout sniper handbook), so the idea of dressing up as a specific military unit does baffle me. I think part of my interest in more civilian-based loadouts also stems from my interest in real-steel shooting, so it's nice to have similar loadouts across both.

However, the part of stitch counters that annoys me is when they try and push it on other people. At the end of the day, what makes airsoft great is that there are so many ways to enjoy it and we can all do our own thing.

5 minutes ago, Krisz said:

To be honest you can turn up with the best looking gun out there and still no one gives a fuck or someone may say "nice M4 bruh". 🤣

Every time someone comes up to me when I'm running my KJW m700 and says "nice VSR bro" I think I die a little inside and it happens a lot. No one has come up and asked "is that the Specna Arms one?" while I'm running my KJW/Model Works m40a5 yet, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually 🤣

Edited by Impulse

25 minutes ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

Suspension of disbelief in most cases, same reason people love to play video games (me included).

I suspect most would like to think they are living out the SF fantasy on a weekend because they don’t want to commit to actually becoming SF for their day job.

I just like fancy gear tailored to what I want to use but can certainly see the appeal of looking like a total badass 🙂

SF is so demanding mentally and physically that most of us would never make it. There is a reason why they have 90% failure rate.

Edited by Krisz

For me, it’s not about playing with the best gun or best kit. Actually, it’s the opposite. I have no intention of taking any of my builds to an airsoft field. I just use a bog standard AEG and some relatively inexpensive Multicam.

As @JimFromHorshamsaid, for me, it’s all about the build. Buying the parts to make a build I have in mind, mostly based on real world military firearms. As a firearms enthusiast, this is the closest I’ll get to owning anything like the real steel. If I lived in the U.S. I’m sure my builds would be real firearms, but as I don’t, airsoft replicas is the best I can get. There’s a huge cloning scene in the real firearms world, and that obviously stretches over to the airsoft world as well. No one likes the guy that turns up in £1000’s worth of kit, running around like a full on operator thinking they’re better than everyone else, but in the same vain, no one likes the guy that try’s to put people down for spending money on their hobby. Each to their own. It’s all about having as much fun as possible in the limited time we have available. The fact is, most people who aren’t in to firearms or airsoft think we’re all weird anyway, possibly even dangerous. So, for me, if a guy comes on here or any other forum asking for advice about a build, they should be able to get the advice they want or need, without someone coming on and making it awkward. If you’re not interested in the subject, move on.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Super64 said:

For me, it’s not about playing with the best gun or best kit. Actually, it’s the opposite. I have no intention of taking any of my builds to an airsoft field. I just use a bog standard AEG and some relatively inexpensive Multicam.

As @JimFromHorshamsaid, for me, it’s all about the build. Buying the parts to make a build I have in mind, mostly based on real world military firearms. As a firearms enthusiast, this is the closest I’ll get to owning anything like the real steel. If I lived in the U.S. I’m sure my builds would be real firearms, but as I don’t, airsoft replicas is the best I can get. There’s a huge cloning scene in the real firearms world, and that obviously stretches over to the airsoft world as well. No one likes the guy that turns up in £1000’s worth of kit, running around like a full on operator thinking they’re better than everyone else, but in the same vain, no one likes the guy that try’s to put people down for spending money on their hobby. Each to their own. It’s all about having as much fun as possible in the limited time we have available. The fact is, most people who aren’t in to firearms or airsoft think we’re all weird anyway, possibly even dangerous. So, for me, if a guy comes on here or any other forum asking for advice about a build, they should be able to get the advice they want or need, without someone coming on and making it awkward. If you’re not interested in the subject, move on.

That last bit aimed at me ? 

Hardly making things awkward, & as I stated, no offence to anyone that's in to ultra realism in their loadouts, but once this hobby/sport gets it's claws in to you, it can get stupidly expensive trying to achieve ever evolving loadouts. 

I've been guilty of it myself back when I started playing, & still own a ridiculous amount of kit, I'd hate to think what it's all worth, but most of it is just me experimenting via trial & error what works for me, so at some point I'll flog most of it. 

My point is, too many guys get sucked down the rabbit hole of everything "Leet" or "speshul", & financially destroy themselves trying to achieve what is almost unachievable long term. 

All too often we see peeps selling top notch kit just to pay household bills etc. 

Yep it's a free country for people to do what they want (except fuck all is free, not even free will these days😏), but as a community we try to give the best advice with the best intentions, even if it means we stray off topic a wee bit, so be it. 

But you be you 😉

Guys c'mon now, no need to overanalyze. Isn't it up to each one of us? As of for me, I want an SF style build because they look cool. And because I think special forces are cool too, although that sounds wrong in the context of armed conflict. I'm not a milsim player or such, I just like replica guns. That's literally it. While I want my build to be practical for the field, I don't even play right now.

Edited by LzChase

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

That last bit aimed at me ? 

Hardly making things awkward, & as I stated, no offence to anyone that's in to ultra realism in their loadouts, but once this hobby/sport gets it's claws in to you, it can get stupidly expensive trying to achieve ever evolving loadouts. 

I've been guilty of it myself back when I started playing, & still own a ridiculous amount of kit, I'd hate to think what it's all worth, but most of it is just me experimenting via trial & error what works for me, so at some point I'll flog most of it. 

My point is, too many guys get sucked down the rabbit hole of everything "Leet" or "speshul", & financially destroy themselves trying to achieve what is almost unachievable long term. 

All too often we see peeps selling top notch kit just to pay household bills etc. 

Yep it's a free country for people to do what they want (except fuck all is free, not even free will these days😏), but as a community we try to give the best advice with the best intentions, even if it means we stray off topic a wee bit, so be it. 

But you be you 😉

No mate, not aimed at you specifically, just an observation from over the years. As I said, I’m a firearms enthusiast who has a particular interest in the GWOT and SF weapons and kit in general. I often find people chipping in to discussions, both on forums and in person, trying to make out that either me or others are in some way trying to pass ourselves off as special forces operators, when that’s nowhere near the case. I just have an appreciation for what they do and the kit they use. Sorry if I came across as having a pop, that wasn’t the intent. Time to draw a line under this aspect of the conversation and allow the thread to get back on track😉

Guys, I just realized something regarding the original question - 10.5 is actually as long as I can go. With a longer handguard and the suppressor mounted, I can't access the hop unit, which is controlled via a dial on the gas block on this rifle.

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Super64 said:

No mate, not aimed at you specifically, just an observation from over the years. As I said, I’m a firearms enthusiast who has a particular interest in the GWOT and SF weapons and kit in general. I often find people chipping in to discussions, both on forums and in person, trying to make out that either me or others are in some way trying to pass ourselves off as special forces operators, when that’s nowhere near the case. I just have an appreciation for what they do and the kit they use. Sorry if I came across as having a pop, that wasn’t the intent. Time to draw a line under this aspect of the conversation and allow the thread to get back on track😉

No problem mate, & I'll apologise if I came across as reactive, not my intent & I should have known better, I've seen enough of your posts to know how level headed you are, my bad. 

In relation to the thread, i served & have hundreds, if not thousands of hours on the weapons platforms we used, most of which are now available in airsoft variants, but I'll be honest & say if I came across said variants onsite, unless differences between them & their real steel brethren were glaringly obvious it's unlikely I'd spot them, so I think it's safe to say within reason the same could be said of other platforms. 

Maybe it's just me lol, I've seen some great looking gats, kitted out with nice looking sights & other extras, then you read the "small print" & realise its a nuprol.......... 🤮

40 minutes ago, Tackle said:

No problem mate, & I'll apologise if I came across as reactive, not my intent & I should have known better, I've seen enough of your posts to know how level headed you are, my bad. 

In relation to the thread, i served & have hundreds, if not thousands of hours on the weapons platforms we used, most of which are now available in airsoft variants, but I'll be honest & say if I came across said variants onsite, unless differences between them & their real steel brethren were glaringly obvious it's unlikely I'd spot them, so I think it's safe to say within reason the same could be said of other platforms. 

Maybe it's just me lol, I've seen some great looking gats, kitted out with nice looking sights & other extras, then you read the "small print" & realise its a nuprol.......... 🤮

🤦😉

On 06/08/2023 at 10:40, Super64 said:

I know they’re using the MCX, and the Knights Armament KS-1 is rumoured to be a replacement for the L119A2, but are they in service yet? Or is there something else I’ve missed? The Rangers and Marines are getting the KS-1 so it would make sense for the SAS and SBS to have it as well. 

UKSF had the KS1 well over a year ago before the Ranger trials were even complete

6 hours ago, 1st commando said:

UKSF had the KS1 well over a year ago before the Ranger trials were even complete

Suppose it makes sense. If the MOD are spending money on giving the Rangers and Marines Gucci kit, it stands to reason the tier 1 assets will already have it. Most of my focus has been on U.S. special operations kit recently with the builds I’ve been doing. There’s not as much info about UKSF. What decent resources are there for current UKSF kit?

you can't currently, closest would be the ARES SR16 long tan version. To make it a closer match you would need to replace the stock with a Magpul SL-K tan stock, remove the QD points from the front rail and fill them in and fit a Magpul MOE tan grip for an AEG. It wouls still be inaccurate as the outer rail would be about 15mm too short and the right side bolt release is a different type. 

If I ever get my hands on one I can probably model and metal print the correct bolt release but they seem hard to find in the shops right now.

4 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

ok, where can i get an airsoft KS1?

The only one I’ve seen is this one 

https://www.davescustomairsoft.co.uk/airsoft-weapons/assault-rifles-aeg/DCA-KAC-KS1

But it’s a hell of a lot of money, by their own admission it isn’t going to be an exact copy and doesn’t come with optics. Although it does come with the suppressor. 

5 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

ok, where can i get an airsoft KS1?

We have been building our own for the last year or so . It's not actually a hard build to get close but a perfect replica is currently impossible. I used a VFC SR16E3 GBB with the correct rail from Airsoft artisan , a custom supressor and the correct furniture from magpul 

4 hours ago, mightyjebus said:

you can't currently, closest would be the ARES SR16 long tan version. To make it a closer match you would need to replace the stock with a Magpul SL-K tan stock, remove the QD points from the front rail and fill them in and fit a Magpul MOE tan grip for an AEG. It wouls still be inaccurate as the outer rail would be about 15mm too short and the right side bolt release is a different type. 

If I ever get my hands on one I can probably model and metal print the correct bolt release but they seem hard to find in the shops right now.

The correct rail and supressor are both made already but the VFC and G&G options are better base rifles tbh . The SF version uses a ctr stock which is easier to get a replica of or even a real one if you wish

17 hours ago, Super64 said:

Suppose it makes sense. If the MOD are spending money on giving the Rangers and Marines Gucci kit, it stands to reason the tier 1 assets will already have it.

You’re surely not saying that UKSF will want something because someone else has it and it’s Gucci, rather than based on suitability for a requirement ???

If it fits a role, then they would source it

17 hours ago, Super64 said:

. What decent resources are there for current UKSF kit?

Unless the government deems it beneficial the current equipment details for UKSF are not published.

General resources such as wiki, bloggers etc will publish what people believe to be held by UKSF, and they may or may not be identified from photos

at ‘incidents’.   But these may or may not be correctly identified such as CTSFO being misidentified as UKSF - unless of course UKSF blending in among CTFSO etc

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.