Looking at getting into GBBRs.

Currihane2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As the title says, I'm looking at getting one or two GBBRs soon. I have a couple in my sights, WE AR36 GBBR and the TM M4 MWS (because it seems to be really highly acclaimed).

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or anything I should know before I lose half my paycheck each month? 

Thanks all.

Great fun, the recoil and general theatre of something that feels like 'real steel' makes firing every shot so much more exciting than pinging away with an AEG (though of course that has its own charms)

Just be aware that it's a very different game play experience, it's more like sniping as you'll be conserving ammo and probably be sticking to semi auto.  The mags cost a lot and the loadout will be heavier.  The gun probably won't be as accurate, it's louder so the enemy will know just where you're coming from... So trade-offs, but definitely worth it 🤗

I'd go with the MWS, not that I've used one yet, but the reviews make it clear it's a brilliant gun.  Definitely on my shopping list (if I don't go with the Double Eagle clone)

GBBR isn't for everyone.

I would personally advise against MWS or any other expensive gun as a first gbbr because it gets really pricey really fast when a low-cap gas mag cost you 50 quid and you need several just to have the same amount of BB as a mid-cap AEG user. Also, gas magazines are heavy.

If you find out later on it's not for you then you spent silly money on it and while you can easily sell it probably within days here you'll still lose decent amount of dough on it.

It requires a complete different approach from an AEG. You have to be more considerate with your shots. Also, a lot more reloads which can be a disadvantage in certain situations.

It's very fun to use it and can't get more realistic than it is but it has its own issues mainly leaky gas magazines or if it's too cold and you may not able to run through a full mag.

Personally I would jump into an used mp9/mp7/g5 first because you spend less on it and if you don't like it well you still lose less money on reselling it.

Edited by Krisz

I see, these are good insights. Thanks guys. 

I think I'll have a look around the classifieds here first but if not, Patrol Base sell the WE AR36 I mentioned for a couple hundred, following what Krisz about it being rather pricey quite quickly.

I'm wanting a more realistic approach to the game and so this seems like a good idea, the weight only makes it better to me.

Thanks for the input.

4 minutes ago, Krisz said:

GBBR isn't for everyone.

I would personally advise against MWS or any other expensive gun as a first gbbr because it gets really pricey really fast when a low-cap gas mag cost you 50 quid and you need several just to have the same amount of BB as a mid-cap AEG user. Also, gas magazines are heavy.

I have to agree on this. As a GBBR I would always advise getting a TM MWS or a TM AKM, because they're so good and will work all year around, however as a first GBBR I wouldn't go that route because they're so expensive. MWS runs you about £500, then the mags are £50 each and you need a bunch of them as they're only 35rds, so you're looking at a starting investment of at least £700+. Fortunately, they need very little done to them in terms of upgrades (literally just a sixG nub in the MWS and a bavtac nub for the AKM and you'll be set), but the gun and parts will be very expensive for something you might not enjoy.

Depending on what you like, KWA do some great little GBBR SMGs which are a lot more affordable. Mags will still run you £50 each, but a KWA mp9 or mac11 will only come to about £200 new and they also perform very well out of the box. The mp7s are good too, with me hearing good things about both the Umarex and the TM ones at a price point of about £300.

Reason I talk about the TM MWS, TM AKM, KWA mp9, KWA mac11 and Umarex/TM mp7s is because I own all of them, apart from the mp7s which I plan on buying a TM one soon. All of the GBBRs I own are really great and required minimal "upgrades", so if you do want to get into GBBRs I fully endorse it as it's such a fun and far more rewarding method of playing as every hit you get will feel like 20 hits with a regular AEG. As has been said, it's not the most competitive loadout and you will be outgunned by everyone with their AEGs and their high caps, but it's so much fun and super immersive; you will get good at reloading :P 

I run GBBR pretty much exclusively.  If you want something that will just work get a TM MWS or AKM, frankly the extra cost is worth it in the long run.  Fire Support do deals with extra mags included for around £650 if I recall correctly.  Leave it alone until it breaks.  The only issue with an MWS is usually the nozzle return spring which is a £10 replacement part.  Other than that they are superb.  

VFC have really upped their game recently and their more modern GBBR are excellent.  I wouldn't touch a WE with a barge pole.  GHK used to be good and I own 2 but the QC on them is shocking now.

9 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I have to agree on this. As a GBBR I would always advise getting a TM MWS or a TM AKM, because they're so good and will work all year around, however as a first GBBR I wouldn't go that route because they're so expensive. MWS runs you about £500, then the mags are £50 each and you need a bunch of them as they're only 35rds, so you're looking at a starting investment of at least £700+. Fortunately, they need very little done to them in terms of upgrades (literally just a sixG nub in the MWS and a bavtac nub for the AKM and you'll be set), but the gun and parts will be very expensive for something you might not enjoy.

Depending on what you like, KWA do some great little GBBR SMGs which are a lot more affordable. Mags will still run you £50 each, but a KWA mp9 or mac11 will only come to about £200 new and they also perform very well out of the box. The mp7s are good too, with me hearing good things about both the Umarex and the TM ones at a price point of about £300.

Reason I talk about the TM MWS, TM AKM, KWA mp9, KWA mac11 and Umarex/TM mp7s is because I own all of them, apart from the mp7s which I plan on buying a TM one soon. All of the GBBRs I own are really great and required minimal "upgrades", so if you do want to get into GBBRs I fully endorse it as it's such a fun and far more rewarding method of playing as every hit you get will feel like 20 hits with a regular AEG. As has been said, it's not the most competitive loadout and you will be outgunned by everyone with their AEGs and their high caps, but it's so much fun and super immersive; you will get good at reloading :P 

I see, thanks. Yeah, I hate the hi-cap magazines. Everyone's a machine gunner, no one's individual. That's why I tend only to run midcaps with AEGs but I think the low cap of a GBBR will prove an interesting and unique challenge to me. 

I'm enthusiastic to give this a go. Just had a little look on classifieds and there's a couple that tickles my fancy. I'll keep shopping around until payday. (mine is not at the end of the month)

I'm interested though, what makes the TM GBBRs (MWS and AKM, as Impulse said) so much better than most other GBBRs?

1 minute ago, EvilMonkee said:

I run GBBR pretty much exclusively.  If you want something that will just work get a TM MWS or AKM, frankly the extra cost is worth it in the long run.  Fire Support do deals with extra mags included for around £650 if I recall correctly.  Leave it alone until it breaks.  The only issue with an MWS is usually the nozzle return spring which is a £10 replacement part.  Other than that they are superb.  

VFC have really upped their game recently and their more modern GBBR are excellent.  I wouldn't touch a WE with a barge pole.  GHK used to be good and I own 2 but the QC on them is shocking now.

What's up with WE GBBRs then? Why would you advise against? Also thanks for the info about Fire Support.

The TMs seem to be the most consistent, accurate and gas efficient guns.  But the key thing is their resistance to cold weather, which also makes them the least affected by cool down effects. If you have to 'mag dump' then they won't be chugging as much when you're getting to the last few shots from the mag.

That also aids snappiness in semi auto.

(My VFC 416 is great, I love it, and I've never actually felt the need to mag dump, so maybe it's not the defining feature!)

I now have a TM MWS, it's awesome but it's not for everyone. 

Previously I have had a GHK M4 and it was problem after problem, some of it was lack of user knowledge, but simple things like I had bbs get into the trigger mech because I took a mag out, popped the rifle towards the sky while getting my next mag etc. I lost a big percentage of the game time available due to the number of malfunctions. I only ran C02 mags which made it worse. 

I haven't owned a WE, but my understanding is that they work most of the time in good weather, their QC isn't great and there is a lot of aftermarket support for them, once tweaked they can be quite good. But to get to the same level as an mws takes time, money, parts, blood, sweat and tears and financially you'll be in a similar spot. 

After my GHK I then got a tm mp7, frankly I think this is now the best gas gun I have owned, but I had the itch for an MWS so it got sold to fund that, I wish that itch hadn't happened. The MWS is ok, I have had some teething problems with it (getting enough gas into the latest generation of mags) and some bolt bounce issues on hot days. The MP7 didn't have any of these, the range, accuracy and consistency was surprising.

I would suggest using your normal aeg, use mid caps, but then only do 9 ish pushes from your speedloader into each one. Run them as low caps for the day and see how you feel. 

Using a GBBR is an awesome experience in my opinion (financial issues may force a sale unfortunately) but there are several areas that aren't favourable. 

Cons

• Lack of ammo vs enemy, (in some games this has a bearing, you're effectively a rifleman against support gunners. )
  • Gas prices
  • Noise (giving away your sneaky location)
  • Weight (that high cap user has a lighter gun, no spare mags and no rig). 
  • Price expect your rif to be around 60% of your total spend. 
  • bb cost for heavier weight bbs
  • juggling performance of the rif for the weather (hot weather, heavier buffer, weaker gas)

Pros

• That awesome feeling of winnning a firefight at such a disadvantage
  • Regular reloads
  • Recoil thats worth having

After the amount I have put into Gas with the results I have had etc, the GBLS DAS isn't that expensive! 

You should only own an Aeg as a back up to your gbb.

Gbbs are the best fun, so much more emersive than an aeg. Sure they cost (alot) more to get going but it's worth it. Once you have spurged out on the gun, you will then need gas and decent heavy bbs which will add to your running costs. But again, it's worth it.

You get proper feed back when you fire your weapon and stoppages that you might need to clear like to might with a real rifle. It's so much more fun than hearing a little motor cranking a piston back.

Again, you will have to strip them and clean them just like a real rifle and this is all part of the fantastic experience of owning one.

Yeh you will be out gunned by someone with a 1500 bb box mag on full auto, but those guys are just sad losers, your 30 bbs are worth a million of his spam fired plastic.

As for guns, I have the we G39c, kwa mp9 and the vfc 416a5. They are all good guns. Reasonably accurate and decent ranges

The G39 is a cheap reliable weapon but mine shoots ridiculously hot in the summer (over 400fps) so you need an npas and different power gasses to run it all year. The mags are also really chunky so I had to buy over sized G36 mag pouches. 

The mp9 is great for cqb but can again run hot with the standard bolt that comes with it. I swapped mine for the separate cqb bolt you can buy to keep it under 350fps

The 416a5 is a work of art. Built in npas and a stupidly easy hop adjuster. 

If you are unsure, if you see someone using a gbb next time you play, ask very nicely for a go. I like to let people have shoot of mine and everyone who does are surprised at the difference and mumbles something about selling a kidney.

13 hours ago, Currihane2 said:

I see, these are good insights. Thanks guys. 

I think I'll have a look around the classifieds here first but if not, Patrol Base sell the WE AR36 I mentioned for a couple hundred, following what Krisz about it being rather pricey quite quickly.

I'm wanting a more realistic approach to the game and so this seems like a good idea, the weight only makes it better to me.

Thanks for the input.

If you have a chance just ask someone nicely to play a few rounds with one because that's only way to not spending silly money on it before you dive into it.

People always ask me about HPA pistols so I let them to use it because after all that hose isn't for everyone either.

Edited by Krisz

25 minutes ago, Krisz said:

If you have a chance just ask someone nicely to play a few rounds with one because that's only way to not spending silly money on it before you move into it.

This.
Play as much as possible with a GBBR before commiting.
I LOVE my G3, but it is a very different game experience to playing with an AEG AR.
GBBRs are great but can leave people dissaitsified as it will chjange how youy play. I generally play Sniper or DMR anyway, so it's not that different for me.
I only have the one GBBR but since getting one I want more, but as you know GBBR is a whole new level of cost.

I got my first gbbr by accident (it was in a bundle) and thoroughly enjoy it NOW

At first i thought it was broken, as it kept venting all of it gas when it fired it’s first shots, eventually I learned (the hard way) just how small an amount of broken bb shrapnel can screw things up.

I soon realised that the 40 round mags meant that I quickly had to change the way I played having been used to aeg’s and I was quite disheartened by it all

Move on a couple of years and I’m a total convert

My aeg is quite simply a backup (as mentioned earlier) 

Sure, the mags are expensive - but with sensible care, I’ve had no problems

Sure, it likes to munch through .36’s but only on semi auto - I’ve found a bottle of 3000 will last me a year now.

So SO satisfying to use, fitting RS parts to it and showing off at the start of a game when folk ask what it is and what’s on it.

Changed my game play for the better, makes me consider each shot which carries over to when using the aeg in winter.

Made me a better player?

Yeah, I think so

MWS is where I would spend my money first

Decent used ones will occasionally pop up for around £450-500 with a few mags

Do it

Give it time and patience, it’ll love you back 👌

6 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

I have 5 WE GBBR's  G36 , 2 M4 based L119's , L85 and G3 and cant say I've had any issues with any of them. The 119's in particular get used pretty much every game day and all year round. I also have the Umarex  MP7 which a cracking little beast and unlike the tm one actual size. 

They all get properly serviced after games , the WE's have NPAS fitted along with maple leaf rubbers and Omega nubs . 

As others have said play style is different. I love the sneaking up and picking my shots style of play. Generally I run 4 or 5 mags and a speed loader for a game.

38 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

You lucky bastard.

I’ve just found one of my unicorns, waiting on it arriving later in the week

If it makes you feel any better, it’s running 30 round mags

and I’m only getting 4 with it! -  BRING IT ON! 😆🤣

And Samoon have none in stock (only clue you get😂)

As always, loads of decent suggestions here.

I've got a couple of MWS and, clichéd as it sounds, they're just awesome. Yes, they're expensive, but of the box, without doing a thing to them, they work bloody well.

Mags are another story and a necessary expense, sadly. You'll likely need a fair few, but these can be built up over time.

No 'upgrades' are strictly necessary, but a SixG or Bavtac nub are a good place to start, and nozzle return springs are a must as they will shit themselves at some point.

Gameplay is very different with GBBRs and before making the leap, if you're using an AEG, try playing with a lo-cap, or something like a PTS mag, switched to 30 round capacity, and see how you fair. 

Can't speak for WEs, VFCs or GHKs, but my experiences with TMs have been excellent. 

While it is a good idea to run around with a few lo cap mags to see what the downside is like, make sure you do try the GBBR's to experience the upside.  Otherwise it's not fair 🤣

I've always run 100rd mid-caps in my AEG so it took less time to adjust to the 40rds in the MP7. It's been a good introduction for me into GBBR's, I love how much more immersive it is ... the recoil, the noise, the mag changes. You'll also use your sidearm more, it's quicker to switch to it than reload in the middle of a fire-fight (playing CQB mostly, so range isn't really a factor).

I rarely used more than 2 mid-caps in a game so used that as a gauge for the number of mags I'd need and went with 5, it changed my load out as all those on a belt makes it pretty damn heavy, so have just got a chest rig so will see how I get on with that and my next game.

Still very much in the honeymoon period - nothing's broken yet!

Totally saving some money for a TM MK18 now though. I love my 308 but she's fast becoming my backup/loan pew.

My 2 cents;

Kwa mp9.

I've had one for years and it is one of my faves. 

Fairly light but sturdy. Nice rate of fire if needed. Small enough to be easily wielded for tight cqb and still has nice enough range. Despite being small, there's still plenty of room for attachments if you want to run a tacticool look with suppressors, peq/torches, optics, grips etc.

Because its small, if you decide a gbbr is not for you, you could still use it as a secondary, albeit it's a bulkier secondary than a pistol.

Its quite loud and looks proper sexy.

Mags are 28 rounds (I think, might be wrong) so you have to conserve your ammo as so many have already said but it's a blast.

Again, as already said, mags are heavy and pricey, but running an mp9 primary in cqb has been so much fun over the years.

I did dual wielding mp9's once.....Once. reloads were a bit tricky due to how big and weighty they are but wow was it fun!

I can't offer much more regarding gbbr. I do have a we g36 but I can't comment on it in game as I haven't yet got it site legal (shoots hot out of the box) but it's nice to hold and surprisingly light due to its polymer build.

I'd 2nd an MP9. 

The asg/kwa MP9 is proven. 

The mags are 48rds I believe so actually very good for a GBB

There's now a cheap supply of mags for them with the vorsk. 

I’ve got the Umarex/VFC MP7 Gen 2 GBB and it’s an absolute hoot to use.  For FIBUA and CQB it’s outstanding, with consistent hand shots on guns being stuck round corners being possible at 15m.  However, I wouldn’t use it outdoors for woodland as the variation in temperature throughout the days means there are too many inconsistencies for longer engagements and due to the real capacity magazines not enough spare rounds to put down range to account for wind/twigs/Airsoft ballistics.

It is, without a shadow of a doubt them most fun RIF I’ve got, and it’s super efficient with the gas usage.

As far as getting the most consistency out of a GBB I’d suggest using gas without lubricant in it such as Ultrair to give consistent hop, but obviously it’ll require a bit more maintenance as a result.  Here’s the data sheet for the gas showing no silicone (their other gasses with silicone show as 1% makeup, whereas this is a 90/10 Propane/Butane mix) https://actionsportgames.com/files/files/ecom/products/Datasheets/14571_safetydatasheet_english.PDF

Edited by Duff Beer
Added datasheet for Ultrair to show is definitely doesn’t have lube in it

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.