A newbie's sorry tale...

gavinkempsell

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I bought a RIF from the sites classifieds which I'm very happy with, I knew it needed some work & I figured it would be a good first attempt at disassembly, tidy & rebuild as it would be a wall hanger anyway (unless it turned out awesome of course), anyway... it needed a few parts which were very nicely supplied by another site member, they arrived today & as I'm an eager beaver I set about 'fixing' my toy after I got home from work.

I'd already stripped it before sourcing the parts I needed and noticed someone else had already been in it's guts to 'upgrade' or 'repair' it in the past. Looks like they'd replaced the piston spring with a longer/stronger one and the spring guide was either the wrong one or the threads were stripped so the whole spring assembly was wedged in with a metal plate cut to size.

I've now got an almost complete & almost built Honey Badger that will probably have a fairly hot FPS except for one little issue... the spring, sprung all the way across my mancave and disappeared behind some shelving that I can't be arsed moving at the moment, not a big deal as it was meant to be a wall hanger anyway but... the butt plate screws into the bloody spring guide & three guesses where that is???

Looks like I'll be moving some shelving in my imediate future... DOH!

Edited by gavinkempsell

Can you use a magnet on a string or one of those telescopic ones?

At least its a relatively big thing to find.

Just wait until a tiny spring goes flying and you don't know where because it doesn't make any noise when it lands 😫

Edited by EDcase

8 hours ago, EDcase said:

Just wait until a tiny spring goes flying and you don't know where because it doesn't make any noise when it lands 😫

Exactly that. Especially when you are fettling in the garden and it flies off into your wifes' bush.

7 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I have a very strong anchor magnet.  It's paid for itself may times over.  

He don't want to pull the bloody wall ties out of the wall! 😂😂

22 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Exactly that. Especially when you are fettling in the garden and it flies off into your wifes' bush.

*Insert "Archer, phrasing".gif

11 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Looks like I'll be moving some shelving in 

Yes, yes it does. Also welcome to the 'i can fix this, how hard can it be crew' 

Yes, magnets are your friend - 

20 hours ago, EDcase said:

Just wait until a tiny spring goes flying and you don't know where because it doesn't make any noise when it lands

Oh that#s happened many times already & tiny screws or even ballbearings, the flashlight on my phone has never been used as much...

Happened this afternoon whilst rebuilding the boy's M16 gearbox for the umpteenth time.   Don't know what it did,  if anything,  and the gun is working fine without it.

Watched the little fucker fly off into the distance but have no idea where it bounced.   Hey ho.

Edited by Dan Robinson

9 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Would you fecking believe it.....  I sit at my kitchen breakfast bar to do most things including working on my pews.  I don't watch TV, but have a tablet on said counter to watch my plex server or YouTube etc..... This is charged through a quick detach magnetic charging cable. 

Guess what managed to catch, mid flight, the tiny spring? 

Yep.... My tablet's charging magnet.  I was wondering why the battery was draining 🤣🤣🤣🤣.   

Well, that is a result!

On 30/06/2023 at 21:57, gavinkempsell said:

I bought a RIF from the sites classifieds which I'm very happy with, I knew it needed some work & I figured it would be a good first attempt at disassembly, tidy & rebuild as it would be a wall hanger anyway (unless it turned out awesome of course), anyway... it needed a few parts which were very nicely supplied by another site member, they arrived today & as I'm an eager beaver I set about 'fixing' my toy after I got home from work.

I'd already stripped it before sourcing the parts I needed and noticed someone else had already been in it's guts to 'upgrade' or 'repair' it in the past. Looks like they'd replaced the piston spring with a longer/stronger one and the spring guide was either the wrong one or the threads were stripped so the whole spring assembly was wedged in with a metal plate cut to size.

I've now got an almost complete & almost built Honey Badger that will probably have a fairly hot FPS except for one little issue... the spring, sprung all the way across my mancave and disappeared behind some shelving that I can't be arsed moving at the moment, not a big deal as it was meant to be a wall hanger anyway but... the butt plate screws into the bloody spring guide & three guesses where that is???

Looks like I'll be moving some shelving in my imediate future... DOH!

We have all done something similar; assuming that the spring guide is a standard one, they are cheap to buy.

16 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Don't know what it did,  if anything,  and the gun is working fine without it.

I have one of these! Been in and out of the box whilst fit/refit/fix things but as yet, I have not found a home for it

On 02/07/2023 at 09:42, Colin Allen said:

Well, that is a result!

Not really - as a bottle of wine and a significant G&T later, I can't remember where I put it for safe keeping. *sigh*.

Still the gun worked yesterday, albeit it sounded like a cat being swung by its tail - but I know that is down to the motor height and the gearbox maybe needing a shim.

On a possitive note... found the spring. gawd knows where the spring guide is tho.

Decided I'm going to buy a complete gear box as I'd like to bring it back to life properly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.