Which recoil AR to buy? (AEG)

Enid_Puceflange

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi folks

Im sniffing around for a used /pre loved Ar platform. AEG
I can’t be arsed changing mag pouches on my PC when I make up my mind what I’m fielding, so Stanag based it is!
I want recoil, accuracy, good build quality (and finished in tan / FDE from the factory)

Ive got a budget of around £450 - £500

So far the only thing that has caught my eye is TM’s 416D

But what am I missing? What else is out there that is as good if not better?

KWA recoil?

Im lost and need guidance please

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

+1 for the TM NGRS series.

I have owned the 416d, m4 cqbr, scar h and scar l. They have all performed flawlessly out of the box. My scars remained untouched apart from tight bore barrels to squeeze a few more fps. The 416 and m4 have had uprated springs and gear sets (done by firesupport) and they are brilliant.

It might seem fanboyish but TM recoils really are great.

I would say TM MWS, but seems like you want a recoil AEG. I've got a 416D and it's really good, I just prefer my MWS so it doesn't get used much, however I know mine and a bunch of others have a problem where the lower receiver cracks around where the buffer tube screws into. I've used mine probably about 5 times and I'm not exactly hard-wearing on my gats but it has a crack in the lower receiver regardless; not the end of the world as it still runs, but it does mean the buffer tube can come a bit loose.

If you want stanag and a tan finish, the TM NGRS SCAR-L is pretty nice too.

6 minutes ago, Impulse said:

I would say TM MWS, but seems like you want a recoil AEG. I've got a 416D and it's really good, I just prefer my MWS so it doesn't get used much, however I know mine and a bunch of others have a problem where the lower receiver cracks around where the buffer tube screws into. I've used mine probably about 5 times and I'm not exactly hard-wearing on my gats but it has a crack in the lower receiver regardless; not the end of the world as it still runs, but it does mean the buffer tube can come a bit loose.

If you want stanag and a tan finish, the TM NGRS SCAR-L is pretty nice too.

My first love is my GHK M4

I had a Scar L and it was good, but soulless, I’ve just sold my Scar H for the same reason.

I know they are TM’s , but having held a new 416 last weekend, it feels nicely built and I know they shoot well and the recoil is much more substantial than the “recoil noise” that the Scar makes 😂

Im just wondering what is out there that might be better?

And dare I say it , cheaper 

Do I have my blinkers on, is TM - The Emperor’s New Clothes?

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

Ngrs are great but if you use a lot of semi, they suffer from lock up. So you simply have to install a decent and expensive mosfet eg Gate Titan. You really have to take this added expense into account ie £200 if you aren’t going to install it yourself, before committing. 
Sad but true. 

35 minutes ago, SBoardley said:

Ngrs are great but if you use a lot of semi, they suffer from lock up. So you simply have to install a decent and expensive mosfet eg Gate Titan. You really have to take this added expense into account ie £200 if you aren’t going to install it yourself, before committing. 
Sad but true. 

Ah, I must admit that I do prefer to pick my shots and use predominately Semi Auto

• Supporters

Please note, there is a difference between semi-spam and picking your shots on semi. A titan isnt necessary on a NGRS, but an upgrade. A good one, but an upgrade nonetheless. 

31 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Please note, there is a difference between semi-spam and picking your shots on semi. A titan isnt necessary on a NGRS, but an upgrade. A good one, but an upgrade nonetheless. 

If you need to fire several shots in quick succession in a single shot only cqb site, you will have lock up at some point. To have a reliable ngrs for single shot only environments you need a gate Titan or similar. Yes it is an upgrade but a necessary one  nonetheless. 

At the risk of presenting an answer you don't particularly want, if lack of 'soul' has been an issue with previous NGRS offerings then I strong suspect that unless you can 'cope' your way out of it then whatever you pick will wind up for sale not long after you purchase it.

In terms of choosing from whats out there, your criteria only real leaves an FDE TM 416... which leads me to land on you know what you want, you're just not convinced you actually want it.

12 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

At the risk of presenting an answer you don't particularly want, if lack of 'soul' has been an issue with previous NGRS offerings then I strong suspect that unless you can 'cope' your way out of it then whatever you pick will wind up for sale not long after you purchase it.

In terms of choosing from whats out there, your criteria only real leaves an FDE TM 416... which leads me to land on you know what you want, you're just not convinced you actually want it.

I guess you are kinda right

I just want something with a bit more immersion than a non recoil, and the Scar was mildly disappointing 🤫

... not tempted by an HPA tapped GBB rifle / SMG?  Or a Tippmann?

Or go Full Nuclear (on your bank account) and go for a DAS?

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

7 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

... not tempted by an HPA tapped GBB rifle / SMG?  Or a Tippmann?

Or go Full Nuclear (on your bank account) and go for a DAS?

I don’t really dig the idea of an umbilical cord between me and my replica 😂

Being an owner of a number of TM recoils, a MWS and a Systema, if I’m being honest my recoils are my to-go rifs. I even bought a 50 shades of tan 416 to do the so called SEAL team loadout but I’ve come to realise a black rif is more preferable to my loadout style. 

Having said that the tan 416 with tan PMAGS actually looks the dogs danglies. 

As I'm sure you don't need telling, for immersion a GBBR is probably the best option. Although I don't use my MWS as often as an AEG, it's definitely more fun to use.

For an AEG with recoil, my experience is limited to my NGRS 416, but I do love it. I have the DEVGRU model and it's been phenomenal in the three years I've had it, and suspect the 416 Deltauld be no different.

Like you, I predominately shoot on semi, but have experienced lock-up a few times. A quick flick to auto and it's unfucked itself, but the mosfet option, while I'd argue isn't strictly necessary, is something I'll probably do, so may be one to bear in mind.

If you want more immersion then only use 30 round  mid caps. Change out the recoil weight for a heavier one to give you more of a kick. And best of all you don’t need a MOSFET if you’re sticking to semi. 

@AlphaBear bro, think you got that completely round the wrong way. Mosfet gives you the trigger response and protection on semi, you don’t really notice on auto unless you play with settings. Ngrs mags obviously have a low cap switch too, or you can just pump that speed loader 7 or 8 to put 30 or so rounds in those bad boy. 

11 minutes ago, SBoardley said:

@AlphaBear bro, think you got that completely round the wrong way. Mosfet gives you the trigger response and protection on semi, you don’t really notice on auto unless you play with settings. Ngrs mags obviously have a low cap switch too, or you can just pump that speed loader 7 or 8 to put 30 or so rounds in those bad boy. 

What I meant is that as long as you don’t spam on semi you don’t really need a mosfet. But yes, agreed generally the mosfet helps hands down with many things but it’s really not necessary. I have 3 titans in 3 of my recoils and the other 3 are without mosfet. The 50 shades below does not have a Titan and if I’m being honest I prefer the feel of the original so called mechanical trigger. Although, I do appreciate the hairline trigger on the mosfet when my fingers have frostbite lol

7CDAF198-8FA7-4A19-AB9E-06D027B3A012.jpeg

Edited by AlphaBear

I can kinda vouch for the KWA recoil guns? I owned a PTS Centurion arms CM4 a few years ago that was OEM'd by KWA that felt absolutely amazing to use, in fact I got a chance to use a friend of a friend's KWA Ronin T10 on Sunday there at a skirmish and was impressed by how well it felt and performed that I went and bought one from BZPaintball yesterday afternoon which just arrived a few hours ago.

Gotta say I vastly prefer the KWA over the few TM NGRS gun's I've had the opportunity to shoot over the past few years, definitely a noticeable difference between the two. 

Biggest downside really is the lack of a stop fire on empty function which I remember being a great feature on my Centurion arms, though I can avoid having to buy £20 proprietary mid caps because of this.

Funny you should say that, a mate of mine, who shall remain nameless, said similar. He bought a KWA Ronin T10 too and actually preferred it over his TM’s. Actually his wife nicked it come to think of it as she said it was lighter than the TMs. 

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Awww Fcuk It,

Bit the bullet and bought a TM 416D in tan configuration 

With a half dozen matching pts mags 😂

Don’t forget the Seal Team loadout too. 😂

On 02/02/2023 at 15:27, Mels said:

Good choice, mate 👍 

20220724_015329.jpg

Lovely!

We should make this into a show us your recoil thread or something like that :D

5 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

We should make this into a show us your recoil thread or something like that :D

Yeah, but you'd have to be a right throbber to do that...so here's mine!

20220121_154431.thumb.jpg.607a316db08394e549d4293c049dc5be.jpg20220121_154310.thumb.jpg.0df8b5752e6b1422edb0c79593f7564e.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.