Health and fitness...

snuff

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Not sure where to post this or even to post at all,but it is related to "our" sport and again I'm asking for advice.I'm getting on now (I'm older than some forests) and am suffering heavily with arthritis in both knees,it relates from a well spent childhood,mx,etc.What I'd like to know is if anyone has any miracle cure or aid.I wear knee pads when I play and take a herbal remedy (as advised by another player) also I am currently trying DMSO.I did cycle regularly but haven't recently,that could be a contributing factor.So I can survive the day 1 or even 2 times a month but I suffer heavily afterwards taking upto 5 days to recover up until that time I walk like a cripple,getting up from floor level is embarrassing.When I get home I need to sort my kit immediatley before I sit down and seize up.I give it my all when I play because I intend to enjoy every time I play,my body says slow down but my mind says crack on.I could slow down but my style of play is aggressive at the front,I can't hang back.I appreciate any advice and thanks for reading.

Do what works for you 

I have many ailments due to age and youth bodily abuse.

Electrolyte drinks such as SiS & High5 cured me of post game aches and pains.

Just drinking water helps, but a bottle of water with a High5 or SiS Electrolyte tab keeps me going all day or all weekend, and I no longer get the muscle aches in the following week

My knees are totally screwed and one has a habit of popping out.  If I’m doing lots of walking, running or going on rough ground then I’ll wear some form of knee support.  Mostly just the stretchy ones.  If I’m planning on odd movements then a reinforced brace - very useful in tournament photography where I would twist, lean and bend my body in odd shapes - especially when standing beside the boundary line but leaning in to get the picture

And my back is fun. My last car had heated seats which were a joy when there was a twinge, or easing stiffness 

I’ve discovered a USB powered electric hot water bottle.  Slip it into the small of my back for a short while and I’m back to being mobile again

Ive not done that when out, I’d stop doing the activity, but this has sorted me from suffering from back pain that I’ve caused earlier.   An alternative is the stick on heat pads

I’m with you on cracking on.  Once you stop then there’s no improvement 

Minimise the risk from before - use whatever treatments you need, minimise abusing your body - no need to go on a full in health trip and marry a tree

Like the other voices here, I am showing the signs of joyful abuse of the body over the years.

Multiple reconstruction surguies has taught me there is no substitute for continuous conditioning.

I started, many moons ago, using a program called romwod, range of movement worked on daily,  it's an Internet based video program of daily stretches and holds for strength and conditioning and its been great. It instantly helped me and I find it easier to fit in than classes, gym, etc.

On days where I know I'm going to pushing it activity wise I use compression garments, company called skin makes the ones I like. And a recovery paste made by climbon (It amazing but not the cheapest).

Like you i dont want to give up what I enjoy for age. 

Hydrate and stay hydrated, stretch your muscles as much as you can before you start playing.

I think generally having a daily level of activity in your life so that a day's airsofting isn't such a shock to the body is the best way to avoid a lot of aches and pains.

Hydrating is an issue as you get older,I am a piss machine,I would constantly be in the bog/bushes.I get up early hours to piss,3 am usually when I should be asleep.

I'm pretty active and 3 days prior to playing and days after I wear neoprene knee supports,they do ease the pain.I must get back on my bike asap.It's all about management I guess,thanks for all the advice I'll read up on programmes and treatments.🙂.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, snuff said:

Just in case anyone is interested or still reading..I tried some alternative knee supports with metal "hinges",God they were uncomfortable and the velcro was irritating.So I played yesterday and I slowed down a tad,today recovery seems better,then as agreed it's all about management because they are never going to get better.Thanks for all the advice.

I know how you feel when Velcro is bad. Either that it’s badly designed with the Velcro going over the top or bottom edge, or that it pinches in the space behind the knee - when that happens I’m just not going to wear the pads at all

Ignoring the specifics of the pictures that I’ve just randomly picked from the internet for their look, these are a couple of styles I’ve used:

Hinged - these I only use when I have to be serious, and my knee is threatening to pop out, or I’ve had one of the occasions where I’ve turned around but my foot has decided to stay facing forwards.  The brace hinge locks the knee together and my leg knows it’s under scrutiny 

(There have been occasions where I’d be sat with my trousers around my ankles to ease the brace off for a break !) 

8D2B64E8-6F40-4CD3-849A-F94EADCD2803.thumb.jpeg.1b1a6a98862d9aa9fc8d694b37a87da4.jpeg

Less severe - elasticated support 

Something stretchy and supporting, no Velcro etc, just an elasticated sleeve giving support.  These are much easier to wear for a whole day 

E89009D4-51ED-4D62-8ACF-6E4C191E2776.png.ed0df4c63fb9a2ede61244d37e6fd182.png

I have a few ‘proper’ paintball knee pads,  depending on the pair they give the support of an elasticated pad plus some padding for kneeling (I’m not going to be spotted diving and sliding, but could be crawling)

I have the centre ones which I wear 2 or 3 days prior to playing and then the same after playing,seem to work for me but as they are a few years old I just ordered some replacements yesterday.I wear knee pads during playing for the exact same reason as you. I find the middle ones a bit uncomfortable for whole day use if i'm active,Perhaps they're worn out now),when I am  recouperating they are spot on.

As a keen cyclist i would always recommend being on a bike! 

Do you do any kind of strength training? I'm sure I've heard/read somewhere that conditioning the surrounding muscles of the knee can help with aches and pains? I'm not suggesting you go all out here, but even some body weight squats 2x a week might make a difference.

And if it does help then i'll always recommend kettlebell's for a quick home workout.   

10 hours ago, Barny said:

As a keen cyclist i would always recommend being on a bike! 

Cycling is a great way of getting some exercise without the extra stress running puts on the knees, the same goes for swimming

• Supporters

Sorry to hear this, I'm a little creaky myself, fortunately not in the knees.  You could try fish oil, glucosamine sulphate, aspirin (made mine worse) or move upwards from there.  I've even seen

Spoiler

hydroxychloroquine

recommended.

+10 to cycling, I'm writing this while on a stationary exercise bike.  You can build the resistance up gradually as you add mighty thews, although sadly nothing is going to replace the cartilage if it's osteoarthritis.  Have you been diagnosed?

Good point, I didn't know about that. It just goes to show why it's better to get advice from a qualified professional rather than random people on the internet 

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Good point, I didn't know about that. It just goes to show why it's better to get advice from a qualified professional rather than random people on the internet 

Well said and agreed too. Hopefully on here its friendly advice given with a little knowledge thrown in x 

I understand the impact running can have and I swim like a brick but I did cycle regulary up until covid hit,about 3 or 4 days a week but regularity over distance,because I sold bikes I used to test ride them.Things pushed cycling to the back of my agenda,such as lockdown bikes sales (none for me to buy) and more importantly grandad duties.I have a lovely Cube sitting in my shed ,I keep saying to myself I must go out.As a retiree (early I may add ) I've found my self sitting on my arse too much but I am looking to get back into a job that involves leg work,I need that push to excercise more.

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Reveal hidden contents

hydroxychloroquine

Have you been diagnosed?

Yes my GP about 2 1/2 years ago ,she said I'd virtually would need to crawl in before they would even consider any action and then I'd have to fill in a "lifestyle assesment form",then the same again for the other knee at a later date,it sounds a bit crap but she did explain it well and showed me the paperwork.Had Jabs--------> W🤪W,new knees for about a week,painkillers,etc.

20 hours ago, snuff said:

Just ordered a turbo trainer,it's a start....thanks for all the help and advice.

Have a look for me on Zwift, you'll love it 😋😎 

On 01/02/2022 at 21:13, Barny said:

Do you do any kind of strength training? I'm sure I've heard/read somewhere that conditioning the surrounding muscles of the knee can help with aches and pains? I'm not suggesting you go all out here, but even some body weight squats 2x a week might make a difference.

And if it does help then i'll always recommend kettlebell's for a quick home workout.   

Sounds like antagonistic training. Good way of balancing out muscle groups

3 hours ago, snuff said:

I may try squats but getting up from the ground is my biggest issue,it might be hard for me.

Get some therapy bands, one end in each hand and put your feet on the middle whilet sat down and extend your legs. Same exercise, lower impact. Super cheap and easy to vary the resistance

• Supporters
4 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

Get some therapy bands, one end in each hand and put your feet on the middle whilet sat down and extend your legs. Same exercise, lower impact. Super cheap and easy to vary the resistance

That's a great idea, and there's a lot to be said for exercise that you can do casually.  Everything (that doesn't kill you) makes you stronger.

5 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

Got them,but not used them for a while,worth another go...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.