Weathering - Yes or No? and How hard is it?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm currently working on a vintage build and I'm not sure if I should weather it or not. The obvious answer would be yes, but I've never done it before. The gun is meant to resemble a Vietnam Era M21 which has then been reissued at some point, and a gun would probably show some wear after serving in two wars.

The thing is as I said I have no idea how to make weathering look realistic/good. All my other guns I've tried to instead keep looking brand new.

So what's your opinion, should I attempt weathering anyways or let it be?

Edited by LzChase

I wear almost all my airsoft toys to look used and more authentic (without going too far to hurt resale value too much)

Having worked in a film studio props department obviously helped with the practice and guidance but youtube can provide a lot of information now.

You just need something to practice on but its hard to really mess things up completely.

As @rocketdogbertsaid, look for plenty of reference to know what to aim for.

As a starting point, you can use steel wool (the ones from the pound shop for cleaning pots etc)  Rub on metal parts to remove paint in areas that would naturally get worn.  Start gently doing figure '8' all over and continue until satisfied with the result.  (It will take about an hour to do a rifle depending how worn you want it and how much metal there is)  Don't use sand-paper as its very difficult to be even.

For wood.  You can do a quick/easy method that's reversible or go full on to really make it look authentic.

The easy one is to spray a THIN coat of matt black all over it and then rub most of it off with the same steel wool as before.  Very gently in figure '8's again. (circles are not even)

You should probably check youtube for the more involved method  which involves staining and giving the wood some bashing as well.

This is my CYMA M14 with plastic furniture.  Light wear on the metal and the darkening effect on the 'wood'

IMG_20200724_110502652.thumb.jpg.587833d85fdd6e6147270456b5ec1008.jpg

Edited by EDcase

It's a personal choice up to yourself the only issue is weathering either looks fantastic or crap. How confident are you doing it and living with the results. I personally just let use weather my metal guns it can happen pretty quickly. You can always go with you were issued with a refinished gun which was a labour of love for the armourer.

10 minutes ago, BigStew said:

It's a personal choice up to yourself the only issue is weathering either looks fantastic or crap. How confident are you doing it and living with the results. I personally just let use weather my metal guns it can happen pretty quickly. You can always go with you were issued with a refinished gun which was a labour of love for the armourer.

At first I was not confident but since getting some tips on here I've been practicing a lot on various scrap metal painted black, watched many instructional videos and I decided I'm even going to attend a military fair where I can see actual vintage firearms in person so I think I can do a decent job

If a vintage sniper rifle could talk I think it would say "I want to show that I did not spend my life as a wallhanger"

Edited by LzChase

its not hard and theres a great amount you can do. weither you want to use the wire wool on metal or make plastic look like worn metal by dry brushing a little bit of metallic paint on raised edges or go full hog as add rust with iron powders etc (im more post apocalypse airsoft so go more with that for the rare attempt at a game i get) get referance pictures of what your thinking and go from  there. theres more than a few great inspirational threads here

• Supporters

If I’m ‘weathering’ a plastic gun I use a flat silver and black paint pen , almost immediately after applying the paint I wipe off with kitchen paper and then take the rest that I want off with very fine grit wet’n’dry and wire wool .

I also use this pic if I’m weathering an AK as a resource but it’s useful what ever long arm your aging .👍

4780CF6D-2BD9-44D4-A622-541B88061E78.jpeg

Easy. Take your gnu, skirm loads and do t treat it lightly... chuck it about, clatter it off stuff, chuck it in the mud... hey presto, one genuinely weathered gnu...

2 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Easy. Take your gnu, skirm loads and do t treat it lightly... chuck it about, clatter it off stuff, chuck it in the mud... hey presto, one genuinely weathered gnu...

The idea is to weather it and keep it working 😆

23 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

This. My E&L hasn't seen a cleaning kit in years which has given it the look of a gun that's been sat in a cave for a decade. I'll post pics later 

• Supporters
On 19/11/2021 at 18:29, Ebeneezer Goode said:

Nice idea , until you remember you can only play once a mth AND most of your Airsoft guns will go totally tits up if you don’t wrap them in 18ft of bubble wrap to play ! 🤦‍♂️ Doh ! 
say’la’vie 🤣🤣

• 9 months later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.