Possible answer to the Afghan army question .

Druid799

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So would appear the answer to why the Afghan army folded so stupendously is all the best ones joined the Taliban once they’d been trained (or simply joined up to GET trained ?) on the simplest of levels look at the trigger discipline on some of these fighters (safety on , trigger finger laying along the receiver) marks them way above your average run of the mill  ‘raghead’ insurgent ?

ADF93F62-4404-4853-9797-70386CB668E8.jpeg

• Druid799 changed the title to Possible answer to the Afghan army question .

Haha...I noticed the very same thing yesterday.  Not your average run of the mill goat herding talib.  Some trained dudes right there.

You are over thinking it.  Whilst its a distinct possibility and there probably are ex ANA in the Taliban, you have to remember this is a group that has been in existence since Soviets invaded, they have had plenty of time to get fighters trained in basic weapon safety. A dead Tally is no use to Allah afterall...

We also need to consider that much like the Vietcong in Vietnam, that at least some of the people view them as the liberators from western interference and oppression.  The fact that we see them as evil (which they obviously are) doesn't chime with how your average ill educated Afghan in Kandahar views them.  The issue and the war is wider than the narrative presented by the western media and needs to be examined as a whole.  Afghan has always been the death of empire from Alexander the Great, right through to the British in the 1880s to the Soviets and now the Allies.  You need to think of Afghan not as a country but as a collection of tribes.  They are not coherent.  My prediction is splintering of the Taliban and a descent to civil war again much like the 1990s.  Russia and China will also start to try to fill the power vacuum left by the west and will be the Talibans only source of reliable income and development.

Edited by EvilMonkee

One theory I heard (seriously) is that the ANA has been extensively trained in American/British tactics and equipment - notably heavy use of air cover and helicopters, especially for insertions and casualty evacuation.

When Biden ordered the pull-out, he pulled all US contractor support for the aircraft with immediate effect, grounding many of them almost instantly. It was realised pretty quickly by the ANA that they were not capable of running a ground campaign without air support as per the US TTPs.

It could be BS, but it sounds like a plausible factor that contributed to the ANA thinking 'fuck that', dropping their gear and running for the hills.

5 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

One theory I heard (seriously) is that the ANA has been extensively trained in American/British tactics and equipment - notably heavy use of air cover and helicopters, especially for insertions and casualty evacuation.

When Biden ordered the pull-out, he pulled all US contractor support for the aircraft with immediate effect, grounding many of them almost instantly. It was realised pretty quickly by the ANA that they were not capable of running a ground campaign without air support as per the US TTPs.

It could be BS, but it sounds like a plausible factor that contributed to the ANA thinking 'fuck that', dropping their gear and running for the hills.

Yep bang on.  Same thing happened in Iraq.  All this expensive kit, ISIS turn up with a technical and an AK and they run for the hills.  There are a LOT of parallels with what happened in Iraq with ISIS actually.

If you look at the history of Counter Insurgency Warfare since the Second World War, the only ones we can consider to have won out of all of them is Malaya but that was different as it was two ethnic groups striving for independence from each other not us (Malays v Indonesia) Every other single COIN war we have fought we lost.  Vietnam, the various proxy wars in Angola and Congo, Rhodesia, Northern Ireland (yes a loss as the IRA were not defeated and have not gone away), Afghanistan and Iraq.  We cannot do COIN warfare as we lack the political will to see it through to the end as we are stopped by our western values from doing what is necessary.  

Edited by EvilMonkee

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/legacy_files/files/publication/120322_Zhao_ChinaAfghan_web.pdf

Decent read on China and Afghanistan.

2 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Yep bang on.  Same thing happened in Iraq.  All this expensive kit, ISIS turn up with a technical and an AK and they run for the hills.  There are a LOT of parallels with what happened in Iraq with ISIS actually.

If you look at the history of Counter Insurgency Warfare since the Second World War, the only ones we can consider to have won out of all of them is Malaya but that was different as it was two ethnic groups striving for independence from each other not us (Malays v Indonesia) Every other single COIN war we have fought we lost.  Vietnam, the various proxy wars in Angola and Congo, Rhodesia, Northern Ireland (yes a loss as the IRA were not defeated and have not gone away), Afghanistan and Iraq.  We cannot do COIN warfare as we lack the political will to see it through to the end as we are stopped by our western values from doing what is necessary.  

Kenya?  The Mau Mau were defeated by a brutal campaign that saw up to 300,000+ Kikuyu in concentration camps being brutally and systematically tortured.  

Elkin's Britain's Gulag and Histories of the Hanged by Anderson are essential works on the subject if you are interested.  

I can't go on personal experience, but the majority of things I've read or seen say the ANA were utterly useless when ISAF troops were in country so I can only imagine what they're like on their own 

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

It was realised pretty quickly by the ANA that they were not capable of running a ground campaign without air support as per the US TTPs

Heck, I'm hearing that half of them didn't even have ammunition, and that swiping gear in lieu of pay was seen as normal.  And given their courageous ex-president was Tweeting "Never give up, never surrender!" while his private jet was taking off, why on earth would the poor bastards on the ground choose to stand there and shout "Bang!" ?

Then factor in that loyalties run: family -> tribe ->  sect -> islam in about that order, with "nation" not appearing in the list at all.

Should never have been there in the 1st place - all those lives lost and for what ?

Typical response from the US and lapdog UK to get involved in countries we have no right to be in.
Look at Iraq and Libya - yes both Gaddafi and Hussein were not nice people but they kept the countries in check and the regions were stable - we go in remove them and its a fucking shit show.

The ANA in my experience were mostly useless - not really interested in a scrap when shit kicked off and spent most of the time getting high or bumming each other. 

Not saying they are all useless shit bags but majority were .

All the shit is going Boris’s way but we could not be there without the US as we simply don’t have the manpower or logistics to hold back the Taliban and even though I don’t agree with the way its played out there comes a time when enough is enough and you leave - but you put a proper plan in place.

A massive embarrassment but as stated imo somewhere we should never have been.

Edited by Johnyboy1976

The Taliban have released a promo for their 'Badri 313' Special Forces Squadron. Interesting use of a FAST mag pouch...

image.png.d5b6e32b86145801dc47b8ca16d0a4a3.png

I can't help but feel that our involvement in the Middle East has been a colossal waste of time, money, and most importantly, British lives.

Whilst the UK dodged the Vietnam bullet, we jumps squarely into Iraq and Afghanistan behind the Americans, and for what? The world is no safer now than 9/11/2001. It could be argued that the opposite is true.

I just hope that foreign policy moving forward avoids these kind of 'occupational' wars and trying to instill westerns values into societies that, quite frankly, don't want it.

In both Iraq and Afghanistan we were not wanted - tolerated but why should we expect anything less. 

We were an invading foreign force - the Americans never did the “ hearts and minds “ and for every step forward there would be a massive step back soon after. You could never trust the ANA or the police as you were unable to vet them and as turned out so many times they would end up shooting British / American troops.

they openly talked shit about us not realising that some like me were trained interpreter’s.

like my time in Northern Ireland you just felt that you couldnt trust anyone as you didnt know who the bad guys were 

15 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/legacy_files/files/publication/120322_Zhao_ChinaAfghan_web.pdf

Decent read on China and Afghanistan.

Kenya?  The Mau Mau were defeated by a brutal campaign that saw up to 300,000+ Kikuyu in concentration camps being brutally and systematically tortured.  

Elkin's Britain's Gulag and Histories of the Hanged by Anderson are essential works on the subject if you are interested.  

Still a loss as Kenya is independent.

• Supporters

Guys was posted as a light hearted comment on the trigger discipline of a couple Taliban thugs NOT a social comment on the legitimacy of the ‘war on terror’ lighten up ! 🤦‍♂️

And? Cmon you know the forum by now!  If we can derail a topic we will.  

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.