Tm Mk23 or FnX-45?

AlphaBear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Folks,

Advice and opinions needed please...

I need a pistol as a backup to my DMR and can't decide on either a MK23 (NBB) or a FNX-45? Any thoughts? Pros and Cons? Real life airsoft experiences?

I've been looking t YT and it seems the MK23 is the preferred choice for snipers as it's quite quiet being a NBB and having a good suppressor. I understand both models have superb range too? But what about longevity? Are they strictly green gas pistols or can I use more powerful gas like the Abbey Predator (which is still a green gas)... Ae either model easy to upgrade (if needed), etc....

thx

Other than it's size and relatively heavy trigger pull in terms of functionality the MK23 is best pistol in airsoft full stop. In terms of feeling  the FN is better it's much more fun to use.

Other than the sound dampening, is there any other reason to use the suppressor on the Mk23? Or do people simply use a longer barrel to gain any improvements in accuracy/groupings and potentially the slight bump in fps if any?

MK23 is an awesome sniper sidearm, but feckin’ horrible to use. You can’t modify the trigger as it both loads the bb and fires the hammer (no blow back), and TM mags are a pain in the arse, they have an extra release valve so it’s tricky to use anything more than duster gas.

Superb range once modified, ultra quiet with or without the suppressor.

FNX will reach 80m on 0.4’s with no modification, runs on duster, green, red or black perfectly happily, you can mount a red dot, feels way better in hand and to fire, has a proper trigger not a cap gun trigger, but it’s noisier than the MK23.

My preference is the FNX, but sniping doesn’t appeal so no reason to own a MK23

The suppressor does not effect power alone . Only with the clone guns with the suppressor having an inner barrel. I use mine as a long range gun the hammer is da/sa so you can negate the long pull and take a steadier shot. But in a less sneaky close up target rich environment I prefer a good gbb.

18 hours ago, heroshark said:

Two different animals. Both good in their own right. You should get both.

This.

I run a sniper loadout, with a silenced MK23 and an HK45.
MK23 is for when I need to be quiet, or hit at reasonable range. HK45 is for when it's all gone wrong. Both is for when it's really, really gone wrong.
I run my MK23 on either green or red gas, depending on the ambient temperature.
I had an FNX45 and hated it. No specific reason, I think I'm just an HK Ho. lol.
And as far as the MK23 goes, TM every time. I have had three ASG's and 2 TM's. Wish I'd never bothered with the ASG's.
As far as longevity, my first TM MK23 has just been replaced after approximately 70 games (conservative estimate) and thousands of rounds.

p.s. I forgot to add. If you ever decide to take your MK23 to CQB, you can swap some of the foam for an Xcortech mini tracer. Which is good both shits AND giggles in equal measure...

Mk23 whilst a a great pistol is a pig of a gun. It’s big, bloody big, almost too hard to hold big and the trigger pull is awful. I really do not like mine despite all of the pros.

I have no experience of the FNX but I would like one and I guarantee it’s going to be a lot more fun and easier to handle

I love both of my Mk23’s, they’re such an important part of the equipment I carry with me that I felt the need to have a back up of the exact same RIF should one die during a day out. However, if I wasn’t ‘sniping’ where so much effort goes in to being quiet and concealed I’d look elsewhere.

If you can find someone using a Mk23 (which shouldn’t be too difficult) I’d highly recommend trying to get your hands on one just to see if the size ‘works for you’.

There are a fair few pistols that can get similar performance, but none (that I’ve seen/heard of) which can do it while equalling how quiet it is. As mentioned by others, the largest concessions are the size and the rancid trigger pull. Unless keeping sound to a minimum is your priority, I’d likely take a different route to the Mk23 whether that be the FNX or elsewhere.

My presumption is that ultimately you need something that can cover the 20-30m MED distance, as great as it is having a pistol ‘shoot lasers’ at 70+ metres it’s worth considering what your back up is actually for and purchase accordingly.

Thanks for all your replies guys, it's much appreciated.. On today's game I had the opportunity to look at and handle a couple of Mk23, one was a Marui and the other ASG. The Mk23 was just staidly quiet.... I didn't really notice the trigger response truth be told, but the chap did have a snazzy holster where the Mk23 simply clipped to it. That looked cool. The size didn't really bother me to be honest.

On one of the 2 hr games I played today, I had my DMR out. but sadly  managed to use 270 rounds on that game with no back up weapon. It would have been nice to have a long ranged sidearm so that I could still pop off some kills at 30m to 50m.... 

How bad is the trigger though? Is it a deal breaker you think? And can the FNX-45 really shoot unto 80m on stock internals?

22 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Thanks for all your replies guys, it's much appreciated.. On today's game I had the opportunity to look at and handle a couple of Mk23, one was a Marui and the other ASG. The Mk23 was just staidly quiet.... I didn't really notice the trigger response truth be told, but the chap did have a snazzy holster where the Mk23 simply clipped to it. That looked cool. The size didn't really bother me to be honest.

I'll go ahead and assume it was the DTD holster, they're great when running a decent length suppressor so you can actually draw the damned thing. However, I (alongside others) found it was impairing my mobility at times, specifically when taking a knee with the suppressor attached.

I tend to keep mine in a generic universal holster that I've cable tied to my chest rig, and run it with one of these to amend the issue with drawing it/the suppressor getting in the way.

I've modded the trigger on one of mine to make it a bit less clunky, it's just generally a very awkward trigger to consistently fire off quick shots with... moreso when compared to how snappy so many other (GBB) pistols are. But yeah, the trigger is preeeeeeeetty nasty. Just the nature of the beast with how the system works.

7 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

And can the FNX-45 really shoot unto 80m on stock internals?

on 0.4’s, yes, @Dan1712and I did an afternoon of testing at his place last year.

Laser and pace measured the distance, it will consistently hit a torso sized target at 65m and actually reach 80m every time, though from 65 to 80  it can be slow and a little wayward.

7 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

I'll go ahead and assume it was the DTD holster, they're great when running a decent length suppressor so you can actually draw the damned thing. However, I (alongside others) found it was impairing my mobility at times, specifically when taking a knee with the suppressor attached.

Yup, that’s the one, DTD, although I’ve no idea how it was attached to his leg lol. 

Regarding the trigger, I saw a YT video where the YT guy cocked the hammer the first time he used it and then on each subsequent shot he was still cocking the hammer back. Surely this is not the best practice?

Also, one is the snipers at yesterday’s game said that he used the ASG mags as opposed to Marui as they were better. I should have asked why but was too busy drooling at the MK23!!! He said that get an ASG as it’s half the price and I’d end up gutting it anyway with aftermarket parts and that I’d more than likely do the same with a Marui. 

15 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

on 0.4’s, yes, @Dan1712and I did an afternoon of testing at his place last year.

Laser and pace measured the distance, it will consistently hit a torso sized target at 65m and actually reach 80m every time, though from 65 to 80  it can be slow and a little wayward.

It can lift a 0.4? Blimey! I’ve only ever used 0.25s in my Marui G17 never anything higher. Figured a higher weight bb on a stock Marui pistol would be wasted. 

So did you have to do any specific upgrades to the FNX or just left it stock?

55 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

So did you have to do any specific upgrades to the FNX or just left it stock?

Completely stock, on Nuprol Green Gas, 22°C summers day

3 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

Yup, that’s the one, DTD, although I’ve no idea how it was attached to his leg lol. 

Depends entirely what you’re attaching it to, but there are a few different adapters you can pick up that just screw onto the back. Molle, belt clip & paddle.

Regarding the trigger, I saw a YT video where the YT guy cocked the hammer the first time he used it and then on each subsequent shot he was still cocking the hammer back. Surely this is not the best practice?

It’s just ‘manually’ performing the first action of the double action trigger. Quiets the first click of the trigger, but I believe it tends to lower the FPS of the shot a bit (no idea why, it’s anecdotal evidence). Outside of that it doesn’t have any negative impact, I know a fair few that do the same when close to the person they’re shooting at just to make it as quiet as they can.

Also, one is the snipers at yesterday’s game said that he used the ASG mags as opposed to Marui as they were better. I should have asked why but was too busy drooling at the MK23!!! He said that get an ASG as it’s half the price and I’d end up gutting it anyway with aftermarket parts and that I’d more than likely do the same with a Marui. 

Assuming you’re doing the ‘usual’ upgrades internally the body they’re going on is largely person preference, I don’t know exactly which brand is which but some of the ‘budget’ ones feel like they’re made out of the same plastic as the trays in an advent calendar. But they offer a really good cost effective platform, so that just boils down to your own budget/personal preferences on external quality.

1 hour ago, alxndrhll said:

Assuming you’re doing the ‘usual’ upgrades internally the body they’re going on is largely person preference, I don’t know exactly which brand is which but some of the ‘budget’ ones feel like they’re made out of the same plastic as the trays in an advent calendar. But they offer a really good cost effective platform, so that just boils down to your own budget/personal preferences on external quality.

Or just get a SSX23 with metal slide, maple leaf inner barrel and hop bucking with TDC. Only annoyance is buying the suppressor separately.

3 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Or just get a SSX23 with metal slide, maple leaf inner barrel and hop bucking with TDC. Only annoyance is buying the suppressor separately.

Buy a Novritsch? Never. I’d rather use a catapult 😂

21 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Buy a Novritsch? Never. I’d rather use a catapult 😂

About the MK23 in general though, the magazines are a bit shit. One of my gripes is the follower is a bitch to keep down while you're filling with BB's and the trigger is arthritic but then again you don't buy one for SpeedQB, you buy it for lifting heavy ammo far and quietly. If that's what you're after, then it's in a class of its own.

My local site is thinking of holding a night game, in the woods! So it will be dark, very dark. Maybe a MK23 is the way to go now as it’s stealthy and can lob heavy ammo. 

Now all I need is night vision! That may have to be a different thread!!

17 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

My local site is thinking of holding a night game, in the woods! So it will be dark, very dark. Maybe a MK23 is the way to go now as it’s stealthy and can lob heavy ammo. 

Now all I need is night vision! That may have to be a different thread!!

Now that would be niiice!!

One day..... lol

Regards 

I think I'm defiantly swaying towards a MK23 now.... it's an itch that for sure needs scratching.... Don't you just hate such itches.. ;)

As it's not a CQB pistol I guess an extra mag should be fine right?  

In woodland/outdoor site I find myself more and more just running the mk23 and gbbp. I have 2 uppers for my mk 350 and 400. Some sites don't allow my DMP but even with the 350 upper I can make the same hits.

IMG_20201026_122945_873.jpg

On 28/10/2020 at 08:17, heroshark said:

In woodland/outdoor site I find myself more and more just running the mk23 and gbbp. I have 2 uppers for my mk 350 and 400. Some sites don't allow my DMP but even with the 350 upper I can make the same hits.

IMG_20201026_122945_873.jpg

You have two uppers for your Mk23? One hitting 350fps and the other 400fps? Can you explain how you're achieving these poor level? I'm quite intrigued... 

thx

Hi-flow valves modded from stock and a longer inner barrel. 400 one is an old 6.03 I cut to about 250mm. The 350 one is the CJ one that sticks out a little on a standard gun, think it's 150mm.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.