The 'How Did Your Airsoft Day Go? Thread

Skara

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

It was indeed an epic day, the push to flank the yellows for the bomb after lunch was great!

Brilliant to meet @The_Roach and chat all things Arktis while wondering if the yellow team had given up and gone home...

image.thumb.jpeg.b9e2c05fa866591aec7716a899bcdade.jpeg

I think you guys making that flanking manoeuvre took us from Win to Crushing Victory. 

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

I think you guys making that flanking manoeuvre took us from Win to Crushing Victory. 

Yeah...it was not a good day for the other teams! I almost felt bad about it. Almost.

40 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

Another Red Team MVP...

image.png.c4da543fc6ce1eafcb24deaa5920ca2a.png

... and a very proud Airsoft Dad as well 😁

Hold the phone! 

You came? I didn't realise you were there! I need a photo of you to know which one you were. 

And yes, your boy should be on seat l death row as a serial killer after the day he had, I remember him well!

5 minutes ago, Skullchewer said:

Hold the phone! 

You came?

... I did, later that day, when I saw Red Team's score on Facebook ;) 

I was halo screen / boonie / Hero Shark mesh googles ghillie Dad (the camo must have been too good as there were no photos of me 😢 ).

8 hours ago, Skullchewer said:

There were fifteen of my squad/group/ team/ bunch of numpties, The Outcasts, in attendance, and we joined with T.U.B.S Airsoft squad, to form the red team, along with a few stragglers, including @Lozart and friends. 

I was team captain of Red Team, charged with coordinating our forces throughout the battle.

Do you not think it was a little OP to have have the red team made up of two, primarily cohesive large teams?

Not that I'm bitter about being on one of the losing teams at all 😛

• Supporters
13 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Do you not think it was a little OP to have have the red team made up of two, primarily cohesive large teams?

In some respects...maybe. I think the big thing that worked the best for us was just pacing ourselves which potentially comes from more than half of us being older (and arguably more buggered). We did see a lot of running and gunning from both the Blue and Yellow teams in the morning which given the heat and the nature of the games may well have been their downfall in the long run. Of all the guys that held the valley bomb, I'd say half weren't directly affiliated with either team/friend group/rag tag bunch of mercenaries (delete as applicable), we were just happy to sit and defend instead of running and gunning. PTFO as they say.

13 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Not really, considering Yellow and Blue teams had Warhounds, Reapers, Mulletcav, and a few London Ghosts. 

Not been playing for a while, due to company I worked for going into administration, but starting training on new job next week, so decided to Pop over to Driver Wood (Sussex) this morning with my lad to make use of their range and set up my Tac-41L and my lad's SA-FX01, both of which were bought the week before myself and the other 54 colleagues got our career news.

My lad had a few issues with his FX-01, in that the BBs weren't feeding properly, luckily I'd had foresight to take my tool box with me, I noticed the ejection port cover wasn't exposing the hop adjuster when the charging bolt was pulled back, popped the pin out and moved the upper receiver forward, which must have pulled the barrel and hop forward to it's correct position (possibly assembly QC, but will keep open mind), this allowed it to feed better and I was able to adjust the hop, although stock, .28g is at max hop, so may look at .25g or different hop rubber in time. Mag still seemed not to be feeding properly, as though it was building tension on the feed spring, but not enough to feed correctly, as randomly decided to feed, however, I caught the tension release and blew a few BBs out, hey presto, feeding fine and quite surprised how many BBs it feeds now between needing to be wound. I've got 5x 100rd midcaps coming, which were ordered at same time, but were on back order, so hopefully they'll all feed OK out the box.

My lad was then quite happy getting to grips with it and some practice with his pistol.

With my lad sorted out now, I was able to turn my attention to my Tac-41L, heaviest BBs the shop had when I bought it, was .36g, so that is what I was using. Zeroed in my scope (as best I could, then set the hop and spent some time on targets at varying ranges. After a few mags, I checked it on my chrono, which came out at about 1.8j, so I decided to try the spare spring that comes with it, slight adjustment of hop and scope and all was good, ran through a few mags and checked on the chrono again 2.20j-2.23j across 10 shots (site limit 2.32j), so will have to keep an eye on that, just in case it starts creeping up, but luckily, barely a 5 minute job to swap back to the lower power spring if needed. As is, I pinged the furthest target with my range finder and was happy knowing I'll be able to take confident 75 yard shots.

I was also able to buy a couple of Runcams, 1 for my M4 and 1 for the Tac-41L, just before we all got our work news, so no doubt be posting videos on my YT channel, although more for me to review to see if/where I can improve, hopefully, they'll be more entertaining that my beach fishing videos.

Now I know regular money will be starting to come back into the house again next month, I'll probably be extravagant and book Sunday afternoon games. 

Really good day at DogTag - only did the morning as I had to pick up the other half this afternoon but the morning games were fun.

We (blue) started attacking, having to clear out the trenches, then the CQB area, then the rifle range and finally the FOB. Attackers had to push through, plant a flag in one area then raise the corresponding flag in the next area. Attackers respawn, defenders one life and fall back. Pretty standard stuff really.

What made it really excellent, was that on each team there were people with mortars, so the opening game started with two mini artillery barrages. Same for when we switched sides after the break. I had a couple of really nice plays while defending, including one great spot where I could shoot onto the back of a doorway from about 20m away. I got about five or six players who ran in, with a few complaining of friendly fire. In the end, it was bad luck that knocked me out with a badly thrown grenade (aimed for a bunker miles away) landing near me.

Used my WA M4 and it ran like a dream - shot lovely and straight all morning with real shot to shot consistency, which is pretty key when you've only got 30rds a mag.

Credit also to the marshalls for testing a 'DMR' a guy was chronoing only to discover it was capable of full auto. He told them it was a DMR and semi-locked. I didn't see the full outcome but as I left they were offering to throw him off the site.

Edited by LMKipper

2 games days to report on today as I've spent both mornings at different sites.

Firstly on Saturday I, @sofieb, @LuckyBoi and a 4th played at Outpost Airsoft just outside Chester. Due to work commitments with 2 of the youngsters and me still only being able to manage a half day, we played just the morning. This is the 4th time I've played a morning here, 2nd for the 2 youngsters with work commitments and first time for the other hanger on. The mornings seem to run the same, a raise the flag on the long thin map and an attack/defend on the bunker map. Each map played twice from opposite ends. There was about 40 players, with a good amount of rentals. Game play was quick but a couple of the rentals couldn't quite get their heads around calling their hits and no full auto. There was quite a bit of negativity amongst the players about it but I know of 3 that reported the indiscretions to the marshals. Not sure how that played out as it was as we were walking back to the safe zone before lunch, so the end of our day.

Overall though, It was a good morning. Good comms between my band of merry men, and woman, and lots of hits were given due to my now laser like pew. 

After talking to a couple of regulars about always playing the same maps, they told us different ones are used in the afternoon. An afternoon will have to booked. Apparently there are, I think he said, 17 different maps on the site which wouldn't surprise me as its huge.

Secondly, today I played at Shropshire Airsoft War Games at Netley Hall just south of Shrewsbury. Again, I only played the morning but what a morning it was! I've no idea if there is more than the area we played on but with the double decker bus, vans, cars, caravans and every other kind of barricade imaginable. The ground was generally flat but there are trenchs, dips, rises and lots of rabbit/fox/badger holes. I do like flatter playing areas. First game was a standard tem death match with 'kills' being counted by a marshal as you respawned. We lost both rounds but on the second game it was very close! I'm happy with that. There was about 40 players with only 2 rentals, a young lad and his mum, so game play was fast with some of the best comms I have come across. Third game was raise the flag, we lost that one too but I don't really care. It really was one of the best days airsofting I've had.

I've ran, or rather hobbled quickly, on both days which is a massive boost for me. I thought my recovery, from my broken leg, had plateaued but evidently not. Its now just making slow progress but any progress if good. 

• 2 weeks later...

The lad and I went to Splatoon in Essex today; it was an interesting day.

Around 38 players were present, far fewer than usual, which was probably due to people being on holiday.

The first game was a simple domination in the container field; I did not take part as I was unjamming the lad's AK74M.  However, he reported that it was good fun with fewer players, allowing greater manouverability.  However, the other team won.

Once everyone had returned to the safe zone, there was an incident in which a player let off a round in the safe zone; Splatoon requires players to remove mags, clear chambers and fit barrel socks before entering the safe zone, so letting a round off requires some effort.  After a discussion, he was asked to leave.

The next game was "Capture the Flag"; before this started, there was a somewhat unpleasant incident.  One player came out of the safe zone with his eyepro on top of his head; we both pointed this out to him but he did not respond.  The lad then grabbed his eyepro and pulled it down over his eyes.  A few seconds later, the player stormed over to him, swearing at him and being somewhat aggressive, shouting that he should not have grabbed his eyepro.  I told him to step back and calm down; he backed off and, with a "Fuck you!", went back into the safe zone, packed his gear and left.

With that out of the way, the game began.  We were defending our flag at the bottom field, while the other team were defending theirs in the container field.  The aim was to capture the enemy's flag and get it back to your own base.  Initially, the lad and I attacked on the right flank; he got into the container field before being hit.  I was hit and fell back to defend the flag, fighting off attackers coming from our right.  Both sides successfully defended their flags, so the game ended up as a draw.

Lunch then followed, after which we set out for a somewhat revised version of "Capture the Flag", with the teams starting at the opposite ends from the first iteration. In this version, both flags were together in the middle zone.  It was a very quick game; the other team grabbed our flag and got it back to their base.

The game was then rebooted in its initial version with the ends still reversed.  This was a good game, with lots of fierce firefights in the middle field and some great play on both sides.  The other team won it in slightly dubious circumstances; our flag was captured by a bushwookie, who appeared to be hit a number of times before grabbing it.

There was then a game in the kill house; our side started off defending, with one life each; once they were all killed, the game was turned around.  Our time to clear the area was faster by about 4 minutes, so we won.  I sat it out as I was sorting out an issue with my HK33.

The final game was Infection.  I decided to conceal myself in some excellent cover; crawling into it, I noticed someone else doing the same from the other side.  It was the lad!  We often end up choosing the same positions on the field, even when we are playing independently of each other.  We both lay in the cover, listening to the mayhem going on across the field until it went quiet, whereupon we crept out and went back to the safe zone having won the game!

Overall, it was a bit of an odd day; the afternoon was better than the morning, when there was too much downtime and not enough playtime.  The games also seemed better organised and more suitable to the limited numbers in the afternoon.

Weapons used:

Me:
Classic Army HK33
Classic Army HK53
ASG XP18 Commander (CO2)

The lad:
Cyma AKS74U
E&L AK74M
ASG XP18 Commander (CO2)

A middling to average skirmish day at Imperium today. I'd not been to a skirmish there before, only the Ground Wars (filmsim/battlesim type games). Despite it being 'just' a skirmish, the games themselves were well thought out. Capture an area, move a truck to another area, extract an item etc. Not just a typical, attack/defend fallback game. Used my GHK M4 and it ran like a dream all day.

What let the day down to begin with was Imperium didn't do a great job of setting out the teams in the morning - red team was clearly outnumbered and had nearly all the rental players. The first game we just about hung on, but then got steamrolled three games in a row until lunch. After lunch they did a head count and found it was 46 reds playing against 67 blues; no wonder we never stood a chance!

Once the teams were sorted, the afternoon games felt a lot more balanced to play. With some good back and forth action. There was the usual 'not calling their hits' but I didn't witness it myself. I did have one annoying moment though while attacking the FOB. At Imperium grenade kills are instant death, no medic just straight back to regen. I grenaded a position, ran round and got lit up. When I got there one of the lads said he was more than 5m away then mediced the others back in...

Made the trip down to Dirty Dog at the weekend for their second all-day game event, Operation Sireeen (with 3 e's!), a re-run of last year's Operation Overkill.

(Edit: We've now got a video of the day's action!)

Mostly the same format, unfortunately started at the same spawn as last year because we were on Black last year and Camo this year, and they'd swapped the Camo spawn from last year, so us swapping teams resulted in the same spawn! We had a good idea of what the start was like as a result, though, and this time the opposition were the Red team.

The day started well, with our squad (Royal Huntsman, callsigned to Golf for the event) able to quickly rush up the side road from Camo spawn and claim a toehold on the high ground: Red technically beat us there but were unprepared for our attack and so were pushed back off the edge of the hill, allowing us to hold a favourable position and allow follow-on Camo groups to beef up the numbers and spread out over the high ground.

A fierce battle for the central fort of the high ground ("French Fort") ensued with us eventually squeezing Red out by cutting their ability to funnel reinforcements into the structure, which is where the lines largely sat until close to lunch time, where a ferocious Red counter-attack rolled Camo off the high ground entirely. We'd retired off the line to replenish ammunition and couldn't arrive back on time to help preserve our access to the hilltop, and so withdrew to our spawn fort as a major Red push downhill was closing in on it, but lunch was called there and then so the setback wasn't fatal. Red were within shooting distance of our spawn fort at the point of lunch though, an impressive advance!

After lunch everyone reset to their spawns and, this time, Red made a much more serious effort to rush the high ground. The access road we'd successfully gained last time was the site of some intense fighting but, with Red beating us there again and this time being prepared for an early fight, they couldn't be dislodged. What followed was a couple of hours of Red dominating the field: with the high ground secure they handily repulsed every Camo attempt to gain ground for those hours. Multiple times we were able to fight up to the lip of the hill but couldn't then flesh out a foothold, inevitably being pushed back downhill again.

Eventually a tactical error was made somewhere on their part and a Camo team force rushed French Fort and hunkered down, interdicting Red lines of communication and allowing multiple other ongoing Camo assault attempts to start to consolidate footholds throughout the hilltops. This resulted in a complete flip of circumstances, with Red facing an uphill battle against entrenched Camo forces using the high ground to their advantage. At our furthest advance we were menacing the outskirts of Red's spawn town, yet another flip from the morning when it was Red's BBs peppering the walls of our HQ.

The day ended with Red making a final push to retake the high ground, succeeding in establishing a fairly solid position at the base of the hill but being repulsed in their effort to push up the road to French Fort. Camo took the day with the most points.

Improvements-wise from last year they handed out the HQ comms frequency to individual squad leads rather than having Marshals just trying to shout out updates, which made it far easier (at least for us, a fairly cohesive team with our own team comms as well) to understand what the current active objective was and to get updates on major movements.

For improvements to make for next year I think Camo spawn (which was Black spawn last year) is clearly the inferior one, with Red spawn (which was Camo spawn last year) being closer to the central high ground area and having a proper road running from their spawn right to the central French Fort. As much as Camo won this year we won because in the morning they didn't expect us at the back road as quickly as we got there and in the afternoon they left a gap in their lines and lost the central high ground fort to a mad rush. As this event matures (if they keep running it every year) the regulars are going to learn from these things and soon the team that gets the Village spawn (Red's this year) will dominate with ease. A possible solution is that they stop the game for lunch and reset at that point anyway, maybe swap sides?

Overall though a great game day, glad we went back for Sireeen, and I expect we'll be back for whatever 2025's game gets called!

Edited by Poach

On 04/08/2024 at 18:07, LMKipper said:

Credit also to the marshalls for testing a 'DMR' a guy was chronoing only to discover it was capable of full auto. He told them it was a DMR and semi-locked. I didn't see the full outcome but as I left they were offering to throw him off the site.

This is good to see. I love running DMRs, but a lot of sites have pretty wank DMR rules (Gunman has 1.48J with a 30m MED for example) because of people like that who take the piss, so I'm always happy to see it when these people get pulled on their asshole behaviour.

Another quality night game at Armageddon Airsoft with a BBQ during the longer break - sadly a smaller crowd showed up tonight probably due to NAF but still enjoyable.

Just shy of halfway into the night my Mk18s gearbox decided to lock up right after a reload. Pull the trigger and - clunk and then a dead trigger. Annoying but not really an issue I had my G&G L85A2 as a backup. It was dark now and because G&G have big brains they didn't thread the muzzle device on the barrel meaning I didn't have a tracer so it was hard to tell where my BBs were going but I worked through it using my weapon light... then my L85 decided to strip something in the gearbox... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-  this gun has never been fielded and had about 3 mags total through it.

I was left with my TM MK23 and two magazines which thankfully did have a tracer I'd got into the suppressor. I now understand why people love this pistol so much. I had to pick my shots with my very limited ammo count and managed to land some great shots on people who were barely visible in the now pitch black forest. The pistol kills were supplemented with a copious amount of grenades.

Now i've got ANOTHER two guns to strip and fix 🙃

Edited by MrTea

I went to RIFT Airsoft's Epic Weekender for Saturday at Dalton Barracks in Abingdon. Getting registered, signed in and parked up were swift considering the volume of cars. Chrono testing was no hassle for me though some players didn't follow the marshals advice and didn't get to there as soon as possible so there was a bit of a delay ahead of the safety briefing and more marshals joined to speed up the chrono test.

Tony did his best to keep the safety briefing as short as possible given that it was hammering down with rain in the morning (weekend players weren't required to attend the Sunday briefing after attending that on Saturday). The mission objectives were a lot of fun as the Blue Team had to recover laptops from across the map while preventing Red Team from retrieving mortar ammo tins and returning them to either of the two mortar points on the map. Both teams had the opportunity to stop the Land Rover Snatch vehicles with smoke grenades and steal a jerry can (only one at a time).

Game play was good despite the morning weather. Both teams pushed forward and retrieved items from across the map though some understandably took cover within the containers or near trees. Some players did leave after the morning game due to the weather so teams were rebalanced for the afternoon game and the objectives were swapped.

There were alternatives later in the day where there were 1v1, 2v2 and 4v4 competitions in the bunker.

White Sphere Tactical had a daily raffle where several items could be won including a TM Single Action Army pistol, another couple of RIFs and some tactical gear along with a lifetime membership in Saturday's draw. There was also a weekend raffle where a TM H&K 416 NGRS was the prize. On special offer through WST were AAP-01s for £70 apiece.

Players were able to sell their RIFs and gear at the site. RIFT Airsoft itself was selling its ex-rental G&G CM16 Raiders for £35 working or £20 boneyard. Through RIFT you could also buy ammo, gas and pyro.

Food options were plentiful with chicken wraps, hot dogs, sausage rolls and pasties available along with chocolate bars, ice cream. In addition to the water and fizzy drinks available throughout the day, a selection of beers and ciders were available to purchase later in the day though you wouldn't be allowed to play if you drank alcohol. The MoD did some really nice burgers in the afternoon for a reasonable price.

Blood Cancer UK was a charity of choice and £1,000 was raised for it.

Despite the miserable start to the day, I enjoyed my time, catching up with players I'd shot alongside or against before and made new acquaintances at the same time.

On 25/08/2024 at 01:01, MrTea said:

It was dark now and because G&G have big brains they didn't thread the muzzle device on the barrel

Just like the real one then ;)

Today @TBT second game i took a 3 round burst to my testicles.

4th game i took another 2 bb's to them. 

5th game our squad held onto the bomb from beginning to end, holding stairs and an adjacent corridor from 2x teams 👍 

Just now, Ian Bru said:

5th game our squad held onto the bomb from beginning to end, holding stairs and an adjacent corridor from 2x teams 👍

Sounds like you should have strapped it to your zipper.

Eeh, first game after summer break went well.

Nothing interesting to say about performance, I've had the shits all week and I'm not in top shape, but I'm glad I managed to play and not turn into a puddle of feces.

Gun/gear wise, finally tested the new pdw and yeah, I'm happy with it.

Throws 0.32s over there at 27 RPS with a reasonable degree of efficiency, considering it's running a 3t short stroke and a M95 spring.

9 minutes ago, Skara said:

I managed to play and not turn into a puddle of feces

Should have just gone all imersive stick a gillie suit on and shit your pants like the well trained pretend sniper elite soldier you are.

Skirmish day at gunman tuddenham. Awesome day again.

Great hit taking, good game modes which worked nicely with the site. 

Somehow managed to get into some really great spots, really pushed myself physically for it and definitely paid off. 

Brilliant day at Imperium - perhaps my bestestest airsoft day ever.

It was one of their 'Cartel' games, with three factions (police, taskforce & cartel) all vying to prevent/control/run a drugs smuggling operation. The roleplaying element with specific RoE for each faction made the day feel really different from your typical skirmish without the eight hours lying in a trench of a milsim. A real highlight for me was leading a four man patrol that snuck into the cartel CP and pinched all the gear while they were out attacking another objective.

By far the best bit of the day though, was that I think it's the first time I've gone the whole day without hearing any cheat calling. No one was accused of not taking hits. No one was accused of being hot. No dodgy medics, no hiding from 'nades behind bushes, no dead men talking. Just a really well played and well marshalled day.

Edited by LMKipper