THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

Hi,

Still on my way to finish this 2021 Fortis custom (MWS base) :

• All RS equipment parts such as FORTIS, SLR Rifleworks, Battlearms,  ocalarworks Trijicon MRO Mount, Timber Creeck, Radian, V Seven, Strike industries etc.
  • Internally, full custom parts : G&P custom Triggerbox (brass version), Gunsmodify, Iron Airsoft, Airsoft Artisan, PDI, etc.

aRXLMewh.thumb.jpg.ec71a308aac080b36e02601204e2d2ff.jpg

r3AMTyjh.thumb.jpg.ed15e76d3d056025d536317b64d71166.jpg

Next to come :

- Trijicon MRO
- Fortis Handstop ou Aeroknox Skeleton Handstop
- Railscales

Cheers,

Edited by Raydee

Having a bit of an odd issue with 2 MWS mags on my mk18 - one is bone stock and the other has an oring dropped into the fill valve.

Being able to unload both mags just once after filling with green gas is a crapshoot. I can get 1 or 2 shots in before the mag discharges and dumps all remaining gas. I have better luck with the oring mag than the stock one, but both have this issue.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any ideas? I just want to be able to use my mk18 reliably 🥲

Edit: more info if it helps..... i have this issue regardless of whether I fill in 1 second bursts (4-8x) or if i fill for 30s continuously.

Edited by costpershot

5 hours ago, costpershot said:

Having a bit of an odd issue with 2 MWS mags on my mk18 - one is bone stock and the other has an oring dropped into the fill valve.

Being able to unload both mags just once after filling with green gas is a crapshoot. I can get 1 or 2 shots in before the mag discharges and dumps all remaining gas. I have better luck with the oring mag than the stock one, but both have this issue.

Has anyone encountered this before or have any ideas? I just want to be able to use my mk18 reliably 🥲

Edit: more info if it helps..... i have this issue regardless of whether I fill in 1 second bursts (4-8x) or if i fill for 30s continuously.

Mags usually gas out when they get too low. So to me its saying there isn't as much in there as you think. It can be hard to force in the right amount of gas when it's cold. I found the best way is to weigh all your mags when completely empty of gas and bbs and jot these weight on the base of the mag. Then weigh them as you fill until you have at least 20g of gas in there. That should easily get you a full mag of bbs then. Then refill upto that mag+20g weight before you refill with bbs again. 

Pick the o ring out with something like a dressmaking pin and throw it away.  TM gas system is not designed to use ‘silent fill’ inlet valve modifications.

Sounds like you need to purge your mags - use a fresh tin of gas, turn the mag upside down and fill with a long burst of gas, but use your little finger to keep the knocker valve open briefly.  Between one and two seconds, then let your finger off the knocker valve and let the liquid fill the mag. 

Or your tin of gas is getting empty, and you’re injecting vapour not liquid. 

Try chilling your mags in the fridge for 20 minutes first, and getting your gas container up to around 20 degrees C

37 minutes ago, Captain Darling said:

Try chilling your mags in the fridge for 20 minutes first, and getting your gas container up to around 20 degrees C

This will definitely help. Having the source of gas warmer will help it condense in the mag properly allowing a fuller fill.

10 hours ago, Khyber said:

Mags usually gas out when they get too low. So to me its saying there isn't as much in there as you think. It can be hard to force in the right amount of gas when it's cold. I found the best way is to weigh all your mags when completely empty of gas and bbs and jot these weight on the base of the mag. Then weigh them as you fill until you have at least 20g of gas in there. That should easily get you a full mag of bbs then. Then refill upto that mag+20g weight before you refill with bbs again. 

10 hours ago, Captain Darling said:

Pick the o ring out with something like a dressmaking pin and throw it away.  TM gas system is not designed to use ‘silent fill’ inlet valve modifications.

Sounds like you need to purge your mags - use a fresh tin of gas, turn the mag upside down and fill with a long burst of gas, but use your little finger to keep the knocker valve open briefly.  Between one and two seconds, then let your finger off the knocker valve and let the liquid fill the mag. 

Or your tin of gas is getting empty, and you’re injecting vapour not liquid. 

Thanks guys - appreciate the responses. I have tried purging previously with no success, will give the other recommendations a try later today and report back. 

12 hours ago, Khyber said:

This will definitely help. Having the source of gas warmer will help it condense in the mag properly allowing a fuller fill.

I haven't heard of that, but definitely one to try. Cheers fellas. I've learnt something today.

garand-thumb.gif.ffc24ed53eeb80e81468dfe5d48784f6.gif

Hello everyone, just thought I'd share my MTR16 I recently bought. Never had a gbbr before and was always amazed at TMs quality over the years and finally bit the bullet. Just thought I'd share my thoughts and experience with it so far along with some questions. 

The G Edition was pretty much the only version available when I was shopping for one so it wasn't my first pick originally but every other model had a 2 month plus pre order wait time. The gold accents are kinda tacky but I do like that it came with the ambi selector, mag release, bolt release and the flat trigger. 

I've never shot a gbbr before so I was quite surprised with the recoil out of the box with propane. Very satisfying. 

Internally it's currently stock other than a GunsModify reinforced nozzle reset. I have the dynamics precision reinforced valve blocker kit on the way as well. 

Externally it currently has PTS flip up sights + hand stop, KAC CQB style suppressor w/ cloak foam inserts, BCM gunfighter MLOK rail panels and StreamLight ProTac HL-X. Waiting on a real steel EOTech EXPS3-4 and G33 magnifier to come in from back order. 

Now for a few questions:

How does factory stock and MLOK rail system come off? I have a 10.5" one coming in along with a new outer barrel and I can't seem to find a disassembly video/guide for the rail and the stock isn't like the normal M4 style where I can pull the lever the other way to remove the stock. Maybe I'm just dumb?

Stock buffer, is it common for them to break? I had mine break into multiple pieces with only about 1000-1200 rounds thru it and have a GunsModify one on the way to replace it. Assuming using propane caused the issue?

93285DBD-EDFC-47CE-AFE6-499BEEAF7E9A.jpeg

Edited by sloppyclock
Typo

21 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

I haven't heard of that, but definitely one to try. Cheers fellas. I've learnt something today.

garand-thumb.gif.ffc24ed53eeb80e81468dfe5d48784f6.gif

The higher temp of the gas at source makes it higher pressure than the cold gas in the tank of the mag. That means it wants to pressurise the mag harder than if both are ambient or similar temp. I Do recall seeing this mentioned on a video before, it was either Bada Bing or Airsoftology IIRC.

^ this

if the gas can is warmer than the vessel you’re intending to fill, the liquid gas will spill into the magazine more consistently than if they were both at the same temperature. 

You might’ve found before in the safe zone where you swear blind you charged a solid 10+ seconds on your mags, and you get 10 weak shots (if that) before it flames out. 
If they’re both the same temp, it can equalise pressure between them and not transfer anything at all. 

On 01/02/2023 at 08:57, Khyber said:

I too have just learned something today! Never really thought about the temperature differential between a gas bottle and the magazine. Now i have to figure out a way of vigorously rubbing the gas bottles in the safe zone before I fill up the mags. Although I hazard to guess I may get some strange looks :D

Ok here's what I tried. There's a definite improvement and I'm now able to get through half the mag before they dump gas (previously I was only able to get out 1 or 2 shots). I was only able to get through a full mag once across 10 or so attempts over the last few days.... any ideas?

Steps tried:

1) Chilled mags in fridge prior to filling

2) Purged mag of air at the start of filling

3) Weighed out mag for +20g gas

4) Warm mags up to useable temp

Did you leave the ‘silent fill’ gubbins in the fill valves?  I find these handy on other mags, but not TM ones. You can use dental ligatures to make your own for about £2 for 500, just don’t use them on TM mags unless you like buggering them up.

20 grams of gas should have given you about 200 shots, not 20.

11 minutes ago, Captain Darling said:

Did you leave the ‘silent fill’ gubbins in the fill valves?  I find these handy on other mags, but not TM ones. You can use dental ligatures to make your own for about £2 for 500, just don’t use them on TM mags unless you like buggering them up.

20 grams of gas should have given you about 200 shots, not 20.

I tested with both mags (one with an oring and one without). I can get to 20g of gas for the mag with the oring, but the stock mag seems to max out at 8-9g before gas spews....

18 minutes ago, costpershot said:

I tested with both mags (one with an oring and one without). I can get to 20g of gas for the mag with the oring, but the stock mag seems to max out at 8-9g before gas spews....

Not sure if this has been asked but what version mags are they? I've heard V3 can be more of a pain to fill, but mine are okay I find

31 minutes ago, cart3rlfc said:

Not sure if this has been asked but what version mags are they? I've heard V3 can be more of a pain to fill, but mine are okay I find

Both are 3rd gen mags and have been super finicky in my experience (unless it's just user error....) 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, cart3rlfc said:

Does anyone else have abit of a mismatch finish between receiver's? Mine looks unique to other mws I've seen.

Definitely interesting :o

Mine's matching between upper and lower. Hopefully it doesn't bug you and you can appreciate the uniqueness, I kinda dig it!

Unrelated; I'm not too keen on heavily modifying mine just yet, but I want to swap out the barrel for the shortest one I can while keeping most of it stock. I have the M4A1 with 20mm railed handguard model (14.5in barrel? I think) - Anyone have any recommendations for outer barrels that would fit an otherwise stock MWS? Heck even if just a link to a stock TM part, just the short one (10.5?). I should have got the CQB-R to begin with but I was being impatient. 
I also want to swap to a grip without the damn finger groove, it's always bugged me, but I don't think that matters so much to seek recommendations for.

21 minutes ago, KirbyHCI said:

Definitely interesting :o

Mine's matching between upper and lower. Hopefully it doesn't bug you and you can appreciate the uniqueness, I kinda dig it!

Unrelated; I'm not too keen on heavily modifying mine just yet, but I want to swap out the barrel for the shortest one I can while keeping most of it stock. I have the M4A1 with 20mm railed handguard model (14.5in barrel? I think) - Anyone have any recommendations for outer barrels that would fit an otherwise stock MWS? Heck even if just a link to a stock TM part, just the short one (10.5?). I should have got the CQB-R to begin with but I was being impatient. 
I also want to swap to a grip without the damn finger groove, it's always bugged me, but I don't think that matters so much to seek recommendations for.

10.5 is as short as you’ll be able to go for an outer barrel with the stock inner barrel. All versions of the MWS, CQBR through to MTR, all use the same length inner barrel… so yeah, 10.5 is your limit. Granted I’ll never understand how folks use anything much shorter than that comfortably.

1 hour ago, KirbyHCI said:

That was my biggest complaint when I got mine. I find the stock pistol grip and trigger guard combo massively uncomfortable. Switched mine to a Magpul MOE+ and Magpul trigger guard and it's a world apart. Th K2 grips look comfortable too. 

From what I gather, most real steel grips fit. Just use the stock bold to attach it though. The trigger guard needed a small amount of filing to fit but again, so much morecomfortable. 

20210619_194501.thumb.jpg.5158e19dca04dbec1204481fc1b6a221.jpg20210927_185645.thumb.jpg.fa649ffeb4b0cdfca821e824a7bce6bf.jpg

2 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

10.5 is as short as you’ll be able to go for an outer barrel with the stock inner barrel. All versions of the MWS, CQBR through to MTR, all use the same length inner barrel… so yeah, 10.5 is your limit. Granted I’ll never understand how folks use anything much shorter than that comfortably.

Yeah that's partly why I should have been patient and got a CQB-R to begin with and saved myself a bit of time and effort, given the inner barrel is the same.

Any brand recommendations for a 10.5, or links to stock TM ones for sale?

I kind of like the idea of ditching the stock front sight too maybe, but not set on it. Any idea what I'd need to change to do that?

52 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

That was my biggest complaint when I got mine. I find the stock pistol grip and trigger guard combo massively uncomfortable. Switched mine to a Magpul MOE+ and Magpul trigger guard and it's a world apart. Th K2 grips look comfortable too. 

From what I gather, most real steel grips fit. Just use the stock bold to attach it though. The trigger guard needed a small amount of filing to fit but again, so much morecomfortable. 

Ah cool, thanks for the info!

7 hours ago, KirbyHCI said:

Yeah that's partly why I should have been patient and got a CQB-R to begin with and saved myself a bit of time and effort, given the inner barrel is the same.

Any brand recommendations for a 10.5, or links to stock TM ones for sale?

I kind of like the idea of ditching the stock front sight too maybe, but not set on it. Any idea what I'd need to change to do that?

I’ve only ever used stock TM or HAO (specifically the 11.5” for the HAO) outers so they’re the only ones I could personally vouch for. A google of ‘MWS 10.5 barrel’ will present you with plenty of options, most if not all will be outside of the UK (something to get used to with the MWS as you change out more parts, not a problem at all, just a note).

If I’ve ever been after an outer barrel for an MWS I tend to put up a wanted post in the classifieds and haven’t generally had to wait long for someone to get in touch that has one available, YMMV.

As for the front sight post (FSP) they’re very easy to remove, two pins on the sides need knocking through and a small grub screw on the underside, but you’ll need to be changing out your rail/handguard if that’s the route you want to take because as it stands the FSP is keeping your handguard together.

Last but not least, my grip vote goes to the BCM Gunfighter, though they seem to be a pain to find at the moment. Or at least were the last time I looked.

2EDD17FE-3FEE-4216-90DB-ACBEFDAFC530.thumb.jpeg.8f72c7d25e284a7997b99d0343f358d1.jpeg

7947340E-2460-45BA-B9F3-34C52A1B9FE3.thumb.jpeg.581a98a05b45d94f4d931e7188822288.jpeg

Edited by alxndrhll

@alxndrhll please stop posting your filth on here. My willpower is shit at the bet of times, and now I'm tweaking for a new MWS build! 

Also, forgot to add that BCM accessories are fantastic. Expensive and in short supply, but fantastic. Their FDE doesn't match Magpul's, but it'd be boring if everything was the same. 

On 15/02/2023 at 07:46, alxndrhll said:

I’ve only ever used stock TM or HAO (specifically the 11.5” for the HAO) outers so they’re the only ones I could personally vouch for. A google of ‘MWS 10.5 barrel’ will present you with plenty of options, most if not all will be outside of the UK (something to get used to with the MWS as you change out more parts, not a problem at all, just a note).

If I’ve ever been after an outer barrel for an MWS I tend to put up a wanted post in the classifieds and haven’t generally had to wait long for someone to get in touch that has one available, YMMV.

As for the front sight post (FSP) they’re very easy to remove, two pins on the sides need knocking through and a small grub screw on the underside, but you’ll need to be changing out your rail/handguard if that’s the route you want to take because as it stands the FSP is keeping your handguard together.

Last but not least, my grip vote goes to the BCM Gunfighter, though they seem to be a pain to find at the moment. Or at least were the last time I looked.

I did a bit of goggling but I was finding mostly aftermarket outer barrels and wasn't sure if any are particularly bad, good, great value, bad value, etc., and didn't really see any TM originals spare - But I wasn't really looking super hard. The classified idea is good, thanks for the suggestion!

I had an inkling that I'd have to swap at least something out if I removed the front sight. Would it only be the handguard? I may as well do that if/when I swap the barrel. I guess any suggestions for a good handguard for a short barrel & no front sight triangle/etc. would also be something to ask for. Thanks again for the info, too.