THE TM MWS thread

Wo1f

10 minutes ago, KirbyHCI said:

I did a bit of goggling but I was finding mostly aftermarket outer barrels and wasn't sure if any are particularly bad, good, great value, bad value, etc., and didn't really see any TM originals spare - But I wasn't really looking super hard. The classified idea is good, thanks for the suggestion!

I had an inkling that I'd have to swap at least something out if I removed the front sight. Would it only be the handguard? I may as well do that if/when I swap the barrel. I guess any suggestions for a good handguard for a short barrel & no front sight triangle/etc. would also be something to ask for. Thanks again for the info, too.

Ultimately depends whether you want picatinny, m-lok or keymod. Keymod is something I've never used (and likely never will), I like some picatinny handguards but usually default to m-lok for the weight saving and the fact the majority of the weapon lights/weapon light mounts and grips are m-lok.

You've got a variety of options open to you, I've only ever put HAO MK16 rails on mine when only swapping out the handguard and/or outer barrel. Have used the 9.3" handguard with a 10.5" outer barrel, the 10.5" handguard with an 11.5" outer barrel and the 13.5" handguard with a 14.5" outer barrel, all are great but for my arms/body I found the 10.5" handguard my sweet spot. Outside of that I've installed full body kits for an SAI GRY and currently have a Noveske N4.

Suggestions for handguards is kind of too broad a question because the handguard is a significant part of what your rif looks like, so aesthetics tends to drive that descision in airsoft because we don't have things like barrels heating up and needing lasers to hold zero for the most part (if you're at the point you care about that you probably own NVGs and have a prety good idea of what you're looking for).

12 minutes ago, alxndrhll said:

Ultimately depends whether you want picatinny, m-lok or keymod. Keymod is something I've never used (and likely never will), I like some picatinny handguards but usually default to m-lok for the weight saving and the fact the majority of the weapon lights/weapon light mounts and grips are m-lok.

You've got a variety of options open to you, I've only ever put HAO MK16 rails on mine when only swapping out the handguard and/or outer barrel. Have used the 9.3" handguard with a 10.5" outer barrel, the 10.5" handguard with an 11.5" outer barrel and the 13.5" handguard with a 14.5" outer barrel, all are great but for my arms/body I found the 10.5" handguard my sweet spot. Outside of that I've installed full body kits for an SAI GRY and currently have a Noveske N4.

Suggestions for handguards is kind of too broad a question because the handguard is a significant part of what your rif looks like, so aesthetics tends to drive that descision in airsoft because we don't have things like barrels heating up and needing lasers to hold zero for the most part (if you're at the point you care about that you probably own NVGs and have a prety good idea of what you're looking for).

I'll probably stick to picatinny since most of my accessories are that and it's what I'm used to. I'll do some browsing! I'm pretty poor right now anyway so, all modifications are more of a long term plan than likely in the foreseeable future.

TBH mostly I'd be happy with even broad "avoid X brand, Y is generally good value, Z is the best usually" info - If it even matters. Lol. I'm sure I'll find something I like, aesthetically and functionally. Thanks. I'll likely post updates if/when my MWS is looking particularly different to stock in the far future.

57 minutes ago, KirbyHCI said:

I'll probably stick to picatinny since most of my accessories are that and it's what I'm used to. I'll do some browsing! I'm pretty poor right now anyway so, all modifications are more of a long term plan than likely in the foreseeable future.

TBH mostly I'd be happy with even broad "avoid X brand, Y is generally good value, Z is the best usually" info - If it even matters. Lol. I'm sure I'll find something I like, aesthetically and functionally. Thanks. I'll likely post updates if/when my MWS is looking particularly different to stock in the far future.

I have the 9.3" HAO MK16 handguard on mine and am massively impressed with the quality of it. It's also cheaper than the Angry Gun version, and seemingly far better in terms of quality and fitment. 

Worth saving for something decent imho, rather than rushing it for the sake of change. 

You say you like picatinny? If you like the MK18 rail, drop me a message.

16 hours ago, KirbyHCI said:

I did a bit of goggling but I was finding mostly aftermarket outer barrels and wasn't sure if any are particularly bad, good, great value, bad value, etc., and didn't really see any TM originals spare - But I wasn't really looking super hard. The classified idea is good, thanks for the suggestion!

I had an inkling that I'd have to swap at least something out if I removed the front sight. Would it only be the handguard? I may as well do that if/when I swap the barrel. I guess any suggestions for a good handguard for a short barrel & no front sight triangle/etc. would also be something to ask for. Thanks again for the info, too.

Hey, if you want to remove the FSP, what you will likely want is a 'free float' handguard. This means its torqued down at the receiver and the rest of the rail 'floats' leaving the barrel hovering within the handguard. You will also likely need a barrel nut adapter. As generally the flange on the barrel is too small for most rails, the rail will attach but not clamp the barrel to the receiver. An adapter will solve this. You are also able to fit 'real steel'handguards with the nut adapter too. 

On 19/02/2023 at 14:04, Khyber said:

Hey, if you want to remove the FSP, what you will likely want is a 'free float' handguard. This means its torqued down at the receiver and the rest of the rail 'floats' leaving the barrel hovering within the handguard. You will also likely need a barrel nut adapter. As generally the flange on the barrel is too small for most rails, the rail will attach but not clamp the barrel to the receiver. An adapter will solve this. You are also able to fit 'real steel'handguards with the nut adapter too. 

Ah ok! Thanks for the info. Every little helps, both me and hopefully any folks seeking to do the same in the future who stumble on these posts lol.

Personally, I think I'll probably end up doing shorter outer barrel & no-notch pistol grip first, then handguard, then anything else. Well, Not including a new sight, that's definitely #1 before everything else - A good optic, even a cheapy red dot, does far more to enhance effectiveness than anything else IMO. Iron sights are usable and I think everyone should practice with them, but if I have the choice of an RDS it's a no brainer in terms of usability IMO lol.

Edited by KirbyHCI

Finally got my parts in for my MTR16 the other day and had a chance to install them. 

HAO Industries 10.5" MK16 Hand Guard

Revanchist 11.5" Outer Barrel

Magpul CTR Stock

G&P EMG SI Charging Handle

Ferro Concepts Slingster w/ PTS QD Sling Attachments

Real Steel EOTech EXPS3-2 w/ G43 magnifier 

The Hao Industries MK16 hand guard is a super nice unit. Fit and finish is top notch, no shims are needed and it isn't that expensive either compared to other companies. It also comes with a barrel nut so you don't need to worry about getting one. 

One thing that bugged me with the Revanchist outer barrel is that they include a .5" extension with it but it's not in any packaging or anything so it rattle and rubs against the barrel during shipping and leaves a lot of scratch marks on it. 

38BAB340-E1A9-4FC0-B576-01D2C31532B8.jpeg

70F66BF6-3280-4F32-8CC3-27E1EE2F5CAA.jpeg

098155EF-A623-4F6C-97C7-ABDAEF812C85.jpeg

1DF8F0B4-D6AE-48E0-AA44-8C642C1AC4C8.jpeg

Edited by sloppyclock

Hi all,

I recently got a second MWS; a TM Mk18 MWS which, knowing the issues with the barrel nut, the shops tech loosened it for me before sending it out. I also purchased the nut tool from Black Rifle.

Do you know if it's possible to swap the barrel nut/spacer that it comes with as standard, for these two, so that the handrail comes apart as it was originally intended to?

PTS Spacer: https://emperionstore.com/adapter-ring-for-tokyo-marui-gbb-pts.html

AEG Barrel nut: https://emperionstore.com/marui-mws-mk4-barrel-nut-zparts.html

Edited by Panama

On 26/12/2022 at 16:34, SBoardley said:

Has anyone got opinions on the guns modify pmag? I bought 6 brand new recently and so far I’ve had to replace the bottom gasket with a juicier oring on 2 of them. 
also I swear there are two different fps versions? Half seem around 270 and half seems around 305 on .25g bbs. 

Received three of these yesterday, and have just finished running around three full loads through each mag. A few first impressions:

• They are considerably lighter than TM originals
  • They look great and a re finished to a high quality with all the Magpul trades
  • None of mine leak...yet
  • They hold a lot of gas
  • Bombing up is an absolute ballache - removing the baseplate, sliding the very stiff inner out and then ricocheting BBs all over as you try and feed them in is a faff. Couldn't load them from the feed lips as they're just too stiff. Hoping they'll ease as sod doing this all the time.
  • They are a good, tight fit in the magwell, but still drop smoothly when you hit the mag release
  • One mag wouldn't lock back. A quick prod, shake and resetting the mag feeder sorted it.
  • Firing .32g BBs, a TM mag with a 12 second fill of ASG Ultra Air was hitting 260-270 at smidge over 1 joule. The GM mags were all around 270-280 at 1.1 joules. 

Overall I'm fairly happy with them. Yes, I hate the loading system, but I'm sure I'll find a decent way soon (any tips you can share @SBoardley would be appreciated 😆) and I'm contemplating getting another four. I will be taking the TM originals as back ups though.

20230227_202830.thumb.jpg.7648aaa373b59474edc873acaffcfe47.jpg  20230227_202815.thumb.jpg.ea849bfb4a621327f4d47adbaadbb416.jpg  20230227_202921.thumb.jpg.0beb57cdee524c30c1db91411e7ff256.jpg  20230227_203035.thumb.jpg.2c1b7f0776e735fa7c5e906ee25889d0.jpg

I have 7 GM p mags. Two leaked from new which I fixed with some PTF tape around the fill valve on one, and with the other a good dowsing of silicone oil in the exhaust port/gas router for the other. The silicone oil eventually softened the router internals to a point where it sealed. I then let the oil drain out and wiped any surplus away. 

You need to load them with a speed loader, sliding the mag external cover down is a waste of time... bbs everywhere. I found it best to epoxy a speed loader tip onto a loader for zero movement, and then get the feed angle right. The mag lips do get easier, though hard to start with. The strongest speed loader for the job I found was a Viper 155bb loader at £6, other loaders like the 470bb TM mag loader simply cracked internally due to the pressure needed. Gas capacity is big, they do not like Abbey gas nozzles, but do like the Madbull propane adaptor. FPS is slightly higher. Recently in the cold weather at 4 degrees C using MAPP gas with the Madbull Adaptor, (equivalent of Guarder Black in power terms) I got 94 shots from one fill with good consistency.....at 1.6J.  Quality is good, and they are noticeably lighter.

@C-Diddyso for loading I pull the case all the way down so the feeder locks, I then slide it up just far enough so I can drop bbs in the gap, and fill with bbs. I then shut the mag and press the feeder release. 
as for leaks, had 4 now. 2 base plate seals, 1 fill valve, and on release valve. Silicone and a tightening here and there seems to solve the issues. 

11 hours ago, SBoardley said:

@C-Diddyso for loading I pull the case all the way down so the feeder locks, I then slide it up just far enough so I can drop bbs in the gap, and fill with bbs. I then shut the mag and press the feeder release. 
as for leaks, had 4 now. 2 base plate seals, 1 fill valve, and on release valve. Silicone and a tightening here and there seems to solve the issues. 

That's actually the way I ended up doing it. Glad I'm on the right track. 

The leak issues are not ideal pal. At least they seem like fairly easy fixes. Pretty sure I'll experience some form of that before long. Think I'll dig out some OD24 2mm o-rings, just in case! Is it silicone grease you've used or just oil?

Incidentally I bought mine from Hong Kong. They were about £40 each and took about 10 days to get here. Shipping wasn't bad either, so may go back for more.

Anyone tried to run it on HPA? If so, any good? Either I buy an MWS or MTW haven't decided yet.

Ty. 

Edited by Krisz

On 28/02/2023 at 23:02, C-Diddy said:

20230227_203035.thumb.jpg.2c1b7f0776e735fa7c5e906ee25889d0.jpg

Unrelated to the OP, but what URGI rail is that? I've built a 14" URGI with the 13" HAO rail, which is lovely, and have managed to grab a spare upper receiver and I'm tempted to put a short URGI rail on it.

Looking at HAO they do two lengths - 9.3 and 10.5 and I'm wondering what length to pair with a 10.5" barrel. 

7 minutes ago, lokkers said:

Unrelated to the OP, but what URGI rail is that? I've built a 14" URGI with the 13" HAO rail, which is lovely, and have managed to grab a spare upper receiver and I'm tempted to put a short URGI rail on it.

Looking at HAO they do two lengths - 9.3 and 10.5 and I'm wondering what length to pair with a 10.5" barrel. 

You'd want the 9.3" with a 10.5" outer barrel, if you want to go the 10.5" rail route you'd ideally want an 11.5" outer or a 1" barrel extension.

1 hour ago, lokkers said:

As usual @alxndrhll has beaten me to it! 

Yep, that's the 9.3" HAO rail on a 10.5" CQBR base, and bloody lovely it is too. Funnily enough I'm contemplating getting another MWS and creating a 14" version myself. 

I have read through all this and still can’t find an answer to using propane?

so the AA adapters are no longer available. However do the Madbull XG02 adapters work. There is a lot of conflicting info.

if they don’t what does work with MWS mags that you can actually buy.

My madbull adapter works perfectly with green gas modded mws mags, and takes wither propane or MAPP gas.

20 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

You'd want the 9.3" with a 10.5" outer barrel, if you want to go the 10.5" rail route you'd ideally want an 11.5" outer or a 1" barrel extension.

19 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

As usual @alxndrhll has beaten me to it! 

Yep, that's the 9.3" HAO rail on a 10.5" CQBR base, and bloody lovely it is too. Funnily enough I'm contemplating getting another MWS and creating a 14" version myself. 

Thanks chaps! Yeah I figured the 9.3" is the one for the 10.5", but wanted to double check.

Here's my Flannel Daddy inspired 14" URGI. Want to swap the DBAL for an NGAL at some point

image.thumb.jpeg.b257450a6e36ec9e6b6ec275277881eb.jpeg

My gen 3 mags are very picky about the nozzle from the gas source. 

The madbull adapter didn't allow any gas in (I had other more experienced gas users try as well to make sure it wasn't me being a moron). 

I've found ultra air ok, I suspect abbey or one with a plastic nozzle would be better. Nuprol has been pretty poor. 

8 hours ago, Danhc92 said:

My madbull adapter works perfectly with green gas modded mws mags, and takes wither propane or MAPP gas.

So does mine now. I had the strip it down and lube the centre pin and o rings though 

What is the consensus on metal valves. Personally I prefer the positive connection of metal on metal 

Has anyone fitted one of these Robin Hood steel bolts into their MWS? I’m looking to get a bit more punch in the blowback and wondered if one of these would fit the bill. BDA5F759-4E57-4B1E-8776-C21D986F42FE.thumb.jpeg.2feecb49b7e287a21b0b1439c7cfffd9.jpeg

Not tried 'robinhood' brand, but the T8/SP Systems full steel high speed complete steel bolt is most excellent, and cheaper to order one of them from JK Army than buy that one from Eagle6

On 05/03/2023 at 11:51, Frankie-B said:

Has anyone fitted one of these Robin Hood steel bolts into their MWS? I’m looking to get a bit more punch in the blowback and wondered if one of these would fit the bill. 

No but the Hao bolt end and AG steel buffer gives a nice kick!

I have an AG Alu buffer and a DP lightweight bolt if I need to reduce the gas consumption / run it in single digit weather.

8 hours ago, SSPKali said:

No but the Hao bolt end and AG steel buffer gives a nice kick!

I have an AG Alu buffer and a DP lightweight bolt if I need to reduce the gas consumption / run it in single digit weather.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm seriously contemplating another MWS build. I'll keep my original will stay 90+% stock internally, but with a new build I'm really tempted to go against every instinct, and tinker with a few bits so that I can do a few set-ups; high speed, heavier recoil etc. 

May add the HAO bolt end to the order as I'm really impressed with the few bits I've had from them, and may as well make the shipping worthwhile, right? Also keen on seeing how the BavTac magic hop nub compares to the SixG brass nub.