DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Do any of you lads have any knowledge RE old school metal sewing machines? Been looking into getting into Tactical Sewing, spotted an old machine and antique sewing machine table at a bootsale. Thought to myself I'll nab that and save £300.

Problem is, whilst I can tell it is up to the job, it is lacking a needle and any markings for me to identify it by. The bloke in the sewing shop says he needs to know which machine it is to sell me the right needle, are they proprietary?

If I posted up a pic would anyone be able to ID it?

• Supporters

Do you plan on selling these?? I'd be quite intrested in one if you could make it to fit my face and without the wierd scary teeth

The model is something I just downloaded. It's a mempo, and those all have a grin. :)

• Supporters

Agh ok I'll have a browse on the internet, I can get access to a 3d printer but I just need the cad files

Or you could just buy one... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HALF-COVER-AIRSOFT-BB-GUN-COSTUME-DEMON-SAMURAI-HANNYA-KABUKI-MASK-black-MA124-/281561944531

• Supporters

Lozart the idea was to make it to fit my face, and if get one without the mouth

I get that. Did you have a specific design in mind? Like Samurai's but with a closed mouth maybe?

• Supporters

3d printed? Have you shot it yet?

Nope. And that's an other reason I probably won't print one for someone else.

It's 3-5mm thick ABS so it should be very very tough. The only thing I'm concerned about when it comes to face protection is the teeth protection and that steel mesh has proven to be up for the task many times.

• Supporters

Do any of you lads have any knowledge RE old school metal sewing machines? Been looking into getting into Tactical Sewing, spotted an old machine and antique sewing machine table at a bootsale. Thought to myself I'll nab that and save £300.

Problem is, whilst I can tell it is up to the job, it is lacking a needle and any markings for me to identify it by. The bloke in the sewing shop says he needs to know which machine it is to sell me the right needle, are they proprietary?

If I posted up a pic would anyone be able to ID it?

I may be able to help. I used to make kites way back in the day and although I had a couple of very modern sewing machines, I also had a couple of old skool Singers which I began the business with. These days there are basically 2 main types of needle in production: sort of like the difference between motor spindles - there is the simple round type and a type which takes a D shaped pinion gear, yeah? Most needles are like the latter and have a flat edge which the fixing bolt tightens against. Industrial machines can also use needles longer than the standard 39mm, but you will be able to tell because the foot will be longer than the standard 2.25" (57mm). What you will probably need is a pack of 110/18 'Jeans Needles'.

So this happened last night.....

IMAG0994.jpg

I can feel a project coming on......

you think the darkness is your ally? I was born in it... Moulded by it. ... Oops, wrong trilogy

Lid of the box has been varnished. The body of the box is lined with craft foam and has been covered with posters pictures etc.

I am toying with ideas for storing mags in the lid. The simplest way would be to glue a block of foam to the bottom edge of the lid and add a lip to the top edge of the lid. The foam would then press the mags up so they are kept in place. I estimate that this would allow about a dozen mags to be stored in the lid.

I also need to start thinking about fixings. The hinges that were on the box are a bit flimsy so I may want to replace them. I also need a catch and handles and/or sling mounts.

• Supporters

you think the darkness is your ally? I was born in it... Moulded by it. ... Oops, wrong trilogy

Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

not sure if this falls under this thread or another one? Just took the sawn off gas mag internals from my GHK G5 to an engineering company near me for them to put the threads in it so I can continue the mid/hi-cap single stack build I am doing. I did plan on cutting the threads myself but the tap and die set I just got from Halfrauds doesn't have a large enough tap.

10898080_10152562843681820_8821098815083

Not everyone's cup of tea, but would you want to face this either in CQB with shower grenades or in woodland with T.A.G. grenades? :D

My Lipo's and charger arrived. The charger came with leads to charge from a car battery. This gave me an idea. If I added a 12V battery to my box, I would have an emergency charging station. Would something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingbay-6800mAh-Rechargeable-Emergency-Lith-ion/dp/B00PAM1YOY/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421830973&sr=1-6&keywords=12v+battery+pack work to charge a couple of batteries?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.