Keep Getting Shot Under The Ears And On Jawline Help

Hi Guys,

I've been using my DYE 4 for a few years now, but seem to be vulnerable just under the ears and on the jawline under the ears.

Any other recommendations?

Was thinking the DYE 5 as it's supposed to be slightly bigger.

Thanks,

Pat.

Wearing a shemagh or scrim net can help guard the neck/jawline area if you wear it as a scarf. Or you can wear it like a headscarf and it'll protect pretty much everything, but at the risk of getting hotter and sweating more.

• Supporters

The i4 is fairly minimalist for a full face mask.

But the i5 doesn't appear to be substantially larger, and I'm not at all clear on what justifies the huge price increase over (for example) a Dye SE or Valken MI-7, both of which have good coverage and dual pane lenses.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Unfortunately Pat, your experiencing the phenomenon we affectionately know as "SODS LAW", in airsoft it means when it comes to facepro, all shots will hit where the protection ends, usually ears or Adams apple, a particular choker, alternatively you could go minimalist eyepro like I do, glasses or goggles, & you will be immediately blessed with hero status, never to be hit in the face again.............

This is true.

My advice is to simply make your head less of a target, or wear a full chainmail suit underneath your eyepro. Personally I use a simple mesh face mask that covers my ear area and a set of Esse military surplus goggles that seem to attract BBs... which works great.

Balaclava? Altough it makes you sweat more. Or some kind of shemagh?

4 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Duck

"Duck, you sucker!"

James Coburn a fistful of dynamite.

Great film 

5 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Duck

Goose

I use one of these

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/nuprol-balaclava-mesh-mask?fv=22446&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN6wBhCcARIsAKZvD5jaemKkNt3eMcxEP64M6fciO3lcGPPBmUvP7fyB981DH6RCSNfSjdwaApMeEALw_wcB

The mesh protects the mouth and nose and the material, while not totally protecting you, helps take some of the sting out of hits to the neck

1 hour ago, Krisz said:

Balaclava?

Also works well with many loadouts from the 70's or 80's, assuming you can get your hands on an AR18.

9 hours ago, Point Two Balls said:

Hi Guys,

I've been using my DYE 4 for a few years now, but seem to be vulnerable just under the ears and on the jawline under the ears.

Any other recommendations?

Was thinking the DYE 5 as it's supposed to be slightly bigger.

Thanks,

Pat.

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

The i4 is fairly minimalist for a full face mask.

But the i5 doesn't appear the be substantially larger, and I'm not at all clear on what justifies the huge price increase over (for example) a Dye SE or Valken MI-7, both of which have good coverage and dual pane lenses.

The Dye i family are what I would classify as ‘premium’ goggles, with the SE, and MI7 being basic level goggles.

I started with VForce armour, which are the equivalent of the SE & MI7, and then went to the i3 as a premium.

They all fulfil the key requirement of eye & face protection, and when accompanied with a dual pane lens they all do the same job.

What matters next is fit and air flow.

Fit is dependant on your head

Air flow is dependant on a few factors, with the pattern of holes, spacing around your mouth etc and the i4s give lots of air flow by not covering so much of your head

Premiums come with better ‘quality’ and will lead on new design (which if novel may not necessarily be better) but budget goggles can catch up on design changes

A key difference is the main goggle material, with the basics coming in hard plastic and premiums rubberised.

Rubber is more flexible on your head, and if you’re leaning into your gun can give way against the stock etc 

When I went to the i3 I kept my basic VForce for loans and occasional use, (until they never came back from long term loan) I considered the i4 but I have a big head with the i3 exposing a lot of forehead already, and just about a bit of chin cover.  A team mate tried on the i4s in front of me - the amount of head exposure he had told me they wouldn’t touch any of my head.

I bought MI7s for a particular colour scheme, and found them a comfortable fit to my head.

My preferred goggles are VForce grills, they’re in my premium category, fit my head well, and until Grills 2 came out had been pretty much unchanged for many years due to popularity other than design colours and ‘special’ editions (this actually meant that last seasons fashion suddenly dropped in price)

Ive about 4 or 5 sets of Grills, a thing that can happen is that when you come to buying a new lens, and thinking about goggle straps it’s not much more to buy a set of goggles.  

There is a little difference between the i4 & i5, and a comparison here

https://youtu.be/E3tCYKjtZIM?si=xbd1Z3rRvH6SBiAK

Whatever you do avoid the GSR replicas sold by airsoftworld. They're absolute crap and not worth 60 pence, let alone £60

Cheers Guys.

Only wear the mask when I play indoors and I like to shoot and move a lot - just seem to get caught under the ear area quite a lot - must just be unlucky!

Going to keep looking at a few masks such at the Virtue Extend and see what it's like.

Other than that - having my hood up or a shemagh may be the way forward.

Pat.

On 14/04/2024 at 22:16, Point Two Balls said:

Cheers Guys.

Only wear the mask when I play indoors and I like to shoot and move a lot - just seem to get caught under the ear area quite a lot - must just be unlucky!

Going to keep looking at a few masks such at the Virtue Extend and see what it's like.

Other than that - having my hood up or a shemagh may be the way forward.

Pat.

Theres a recent video on additional head protection and his preference is a shemagh

Make sure that you don’t end up making a hotter head with obstructed airflow.

A common problem with using shemaghs as a neck scarf is the resultant blocking/reduction of airflow of players hot breath - and blaming the goggles 

Lightly cover the areas that you’re having issues with