Which retailers in the UK accept Just-Cos Cosplayer Insurance?

7 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I couldn't see any Just Cos on Companies House... Surely they should be registered? Seems a bit suspect. Complete lack of info on their site.

They describe themselves as a club, so are possibly set up as an unincorporated association.

12 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and have signed up to JustCos to see the policy cover for myself ……

On sign up (and payment) you receive a copy of the policy certificate (Zurich insurance):

Name of Insured: Just-Cos
This is to confirm that Just-Cos have in force with this Company until the
policy expiry on 17 May 2024 insurance incorporating the following essential
features:
Policy Number: @@@@@@@@@@
Renewal Date: 18 May 2024
Limits of Indemnity:
Public Liability: £5,000,000 any one event
Products Liability: £5,000,000 for all claims in the aggregate during
any one period of insurance
Pollution Liability: As per Products Liability
Professional Services Extension £1,000,000 any one event
Note: Cover for Financial Loss, and Third Party Property Damage or Bodily Injury is provided where arising from advice or services carried out by the Insured in the furtherance of its purpose as a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation.
Excess:
Public Liability: Nil any one claim
Products Liability: Nil any one claim
Pollution Liability: Nil any one claim
Professional Services Extension: Nil any one claim
Indemnity to Principals:
Covers include a standard Indemnity to Principals Clause in respect of
contractual obligations.
Full Policy:
The policy documents should be referred to for details of full cover.

That means unlike the wording on the JustCos website I have not purchased insurance of £5m public liability for £20, but I have joined a club/society that has £5m PLI ‘per event’ - and covers injury / damage arising from the advice of JustCos

If I have any actual cover then it’s only the full £5m if I am the only member at any event then I can claim against £5m of PLI, but if there are two or more then the cover drops  - there’s no mention of ‘being scarey’,  

Just-Cos is a membership based insurance policy. We approached them with a view to covering CosPlayers with Public Liability insurance in their right as a re-enactor to wear and carry costume articles that may prove alarming or ‘scary’ to third parties who may not understand our purpose. This policy particularly covers the right to carry imitation weaponry that could otherwise be mistaken as real or mistakenly reported as an offensive weapon.

In today’s ‘Americanised’ legal system of ‘No claim no fee’ companies and similar ambulance chasers, it is now more important than ever to be protected by insurance. It’s better to be safe than sorry, right?

Just-Cos is exactly that: It’s just for us CosPlayers.

You can join up for a small annual fee of £20, that’s it. For your £20 you will receive £5 million maximum claim cover against public liability. It’s quite unlikely that you’ll ever need to use it and we sincerely hope you don’t! That is not all though. 

With membership we have power! We can use our strength in numbers to apply for discounts and other awesome deals on behalf of the club. This is just the beginning and it’s your chance to be part of it.

Based on that, it does appear that Just-Cos’ insurance does not protect individual cosplayers as it covers events put on by Just-Cos.

The membership is being mis-sold.

All it really just does is prove you’ve paid to be in a cosplay group and have membership. 

Can’t see what how pli would give you a Defense? Open to ideas 

Being in a group might provide a Defense but I think that would depend on the group type. Thinking MVT etc 

Not sure how the authorities would feel about me cosplaying as a sf operator(mainly cause I’m fat), and using that as reason to buy a rif however I can for and against reasons. 

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

I’ve decided to bite the bullet and have signed up to JustCos to see the policy cover for myself ……

On sign up (and payment) you receive a copy of the policy certificate (Zurich insurance):

Name of Insured: Just-Cos
This is to confirm that Just-Cos have in force with this Company until the
policy expiry on 17 May 2024 insurance incorporating the following essential
features:
Policy Number: @@@@@@@@@@
Renewal Date: 18 May 2024
Limits of Indemnity:
Public Liability: £5,000,000 any one event
Products Liability: £5,000,000 for all claims in the aggregate during
any one period of insurance
Pollution Liability: As per Products Liability
Professional Services Extension £1,000,000 any one event
Note: Cover for Financial Loss, and Third Party Property Damage or Bodily Injury is provided where arising from advice or services carried out by the Insured in the furtherance of its purpose as a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation.
Excess:
Public Liability: Nil any one claim
Products Liability: Nil any one claim
Pollution Liability: Nil any one claim
Professional Services Extension: Nil any one claim
Indemnity to Principals:
Covers include a standard Indemnity to Principals Clause in respect of
contractual obligations.
Full Policy:
The policy documents should be referred to for details of full cover.

That means unlike the wording on the JustCos website I have not purchased insurance of £5m public liability for £20, but I have joined a club/society that has £5m PLI ‘per event’ - and covers injury / damage arising from the advice of JustCos

If I have any actual cover then it’s only the full £5m if I am the only member at any event then I can claim against £5m of PLI, but if there are two or more then the cover drops  - there’s no mention of ‘being scarey’,  

Just-Cos is a membership based insurance policy. We approached them with a view to covering CosPlayers with Public Liability insurance in their right as a re-enactor to wear and carry costume articles that may prove alarming or ‘scary’ to third parties who may not understand our purpose. This policy particularly covers the right to carry imitation weaponry that could otherwise be mistaken as real or mistakenly reported as an offensive weapon.

In today’s ‘Americanised’ legal system of ‘No claim no fee’ companies and similar ambulance chasers, it is now more important than ever to be protected by insurance. It’s better to be safe than sorry, right?

Just-Cos is exactly that: It’s just for us CosPlayers.

You can join up for a small annual fee of £20, that’s it. For your £20 you will receive £5 million maximum claim cover against public liability. It’s quite unlikely that you’ll ever need to use it and we sincerely hope you don’t! That is not all though. 

With membership we have power! We can use our strength in numbers to apply for discounts and other awesome deals on behalf of the club. This is just the beginning and it’s your chance to be part of it.

So most likely you are out under the Forts public liability insurance if that means anything.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

All it really just does is prove you’ve paid to be in a cosplay group and have membership.

Yarp.

1 hour ago, GenuineGerman said:

Can’t see what how pli would give you a Defense? Open to ideas 

We (if 18+) don't need a defence to purchase a RIF.  The seller needs one to flog it to us.  Amusingly, the same retailer that's pretending that this is a defence for them (it's not) used to have a stern warning about snitching on buyers for attempting to purchase without a defence. They appear to have knocked that silliness off, at least.

Where it might conceivably help is if you're tugged by the fuzz for Firearms Act 1968 S19, public possession of a shooty-shaped-object.  While the "reasonable excuse" would still have to be based on the instant conduct, it probably couldn't hurt to be able to flash a policy and say "liability insurance" as a way to bamboozle a copper or CPS apparatchik who thinks that might matter.

By the way, I do accept that JustCos was set up with the sincere intention to create a cosplayer advocacy group, but that's clearly long since been abandoned. 

7 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

it probably couldn't hurt to be able to flash a policy and say "liability insurance" as a way to bamboozle a copper or CPS apparatchik who thinks that might matter.

Which would be approximately none of them. :)

28 minutes ago, BigStew said:

So most likely you are out under the Forts public liability insurance if that means anything.

Payment went to Cosplayer World Ltd, and the insured name is Just-Cos, so it is a legitimate policy seperate from any site.   Very likely to be Zurich’s standard group / club PLI policy 

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Where it might conceivably help is if you're tugged by the fuzz for Firearms Act 1968 S19, public possession of a shooty-shaped-object.  While the "reasonable excuse" would still have to be based on the instant conduct, it probably couldn't hurt to be able to flash a policy and say "liability insurance" as a way to bamboozle a copper or CPS apparatchik who thinks that might matter.

5 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

Which would be approximately none of them. :)

I did manage to satisfy the inquisitive police, asking me what I was doing parked up late one evening, with one talking to me through the window while the other curiously scanned through my back window 

I’’m on my way back from having run an event and am having a rest stop ….. and not quite in these words but to the nosey one at the back ….. “That’s shit loads of guns and pyro bagged & boxed up in there” 

They were perfectly happy with that !

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

We (if 18+) don't need a defence to purchase a RIF.  The seller needs one to flog it to us.  Amusingly, the same retailer that's pretending that this is a defence for them (it's not) used to have a stern warning about snitching on buyers for attempting to purchase without a defence. They appear to have knocked that silliness off, at least.

20 quid down the Swanee unless your going to go to comicon dressed as ghost from MW then really. 

7 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

20 quid down the Swanee unless your going to go to comicon dressed as ghost from MW then really. 

Or Darth Harry

IMG_8415.png.e2137f8b355861f4cc7081e3f9c98965.png

But it is worthless insurance for any liability an individual could have, that the insurers could reject 

A long time ago (In a galaxy far away), I purchased AFRA ("All Fronts Re-enactment Association") which gave me a physical card with my face, DOB etc on it. Many retailers allowed this to be used as a valid defence to purchase a RIF (Including, for example, patrol base). In fact, I used this when I purchased my first "proper" (As in, not to be used for reenactment/display) G&G M4 before I had even got a UKARA.

Their set up was very similar to JustCos in the way the insurance worked. I don't recall needing to supply any evidence of being in a reenactment group either, they just took my money and sent a card and away I went. 

Much like JustCos, anybody could purchase it. I remember at the time, there was a LOT of "if's and buts" regarding the actual liability insurance. From the reenactor side, being able to purchase a defence to buy RIF be it BF or Airsoft it's great. From the airsoft side, being able to buy a defence to buy a RIF - Not so much. Quite a contradiction, I know but unfortunately airsoft is more threatened than the buying of BFer's. In an ideal world, everybody would follow the rules and behave themselves but that's never ever going to happen 😂

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

I did manage to satisfy the inquisitive police, asking me what I was doing parked up late one evening, with one talking to me through the window while the other curiously scanned through my back window 

I’’m on my way back from having run an event and am having a rest stop ….. and not quite in these words but to the nosey one at the back ….. “That’s shit loads of guns and pyro bagged & boxed up in there” 

They were perfectly happy with that !

Because you were not doing anything illegal.

So the insurance policy is pointless in and of itself - WTF kind of incident are we as airsofters going to be involved in that needs a payout - it would be covered by the site insurance/waiver (arf) that we signed that day.

Carrying a RIF isn't illegal in and of itself unless you are doing something stupid with it..... 

So it is a scam/rouse to allow unscrupulous pew purveyors to flog RIFs with a £20 surcharge on the first purchase and lock the buyer into buying only from them.

I might contact Patrolbase/Bespoke Airsoft and see what their policy would be towards a previously validated purchaser returning in the future without UKARA.

BTW see other thread on Bespoke Airsoft - I went to their new pad today.

Perhaps I should be more specific.....   Transporting a RIF sensibly to a skirmish (or home, shop)....  I don't mean walking around as if you think you're John Wick.

If you're pulled over by the fuzz with a load of RIFs in your car and you act like a dick with or without a reason for them being there....expect to get tazed and arrested.

• Supporters

If we're being technically correct - the best kind of correct - then simple public possession is "illegal in and of itself".  I'd like us to be very clear on that.  It's not for the State to prove (or even suspect) that we're "doing something stupid with it."  It's up to us to show that we're not.

As you say, this isn't generally going to be a problem for actual airsofters.  However, in the context of a thread asking "How 2 get RIF without play airsoft tho?" I feel it's worth mentioning.

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

In this case, for example, a chap (who comes across as a prize wanker) was arrested and charged for having a baton in his car.  I can't find details of how the case went - some commenters suggest that he was acquitted - but the process is enough of a punishment.

What an absolute bellend. He was being antagonistic and deserved to have the book thrown at him. I've had a couple of instances where I've been stopped by the police and they could've made an easy arrest but didn't. I think a big part of this was because I was polite and respectful rather than a cocky shit. Simply put if you fail the attitude test then prepare for your day to be ruined

14 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

In this case, for example, a chap (who comes across as a prize wanker) was arrested and charged for having a baton in his car.  I can't find details of how the case went - some commenters suggest that he was acquitted - but the process is enough of a punishment.

He was acquitted.  He put it down to the quality brief that he could afford.  Their is an archived BBC article that I found earlier on another device, hence sorry no link.  

Extendable batons are not legal for non-crown office holders/military etc.  Cheque book justice.

10 hours ago, BigStew said:

Reminds of the Glasgow cosplayer who didn't see the issue walking around outside the convention in full riot gear with a blood splattered riot shield and a very easy to see MP7 strapped to his leg,in general Cosplayers have less common sense than airsofters. So basically fuck all.

I wonder if he was the same smooth brain I saw at Birmingham ComicCon, also in riot gear and open carrying an MP7 in clear view of the public. 🙄