F**king Weather In 2024, Will I Ever Get To Play Again?

Fatboy40

Come tomorrow I'll have not played for two months. Every time I'm free on a Sunday with money to burn the weather has been shit with it pissing it down, but of course when I have to be somewhere / have orders from my wife it's dry and sunny!

I can't remember the start to 2023 being anywhere near as wet. Am I just a grumpy old man or is anyone else as pissed off?

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

Come tomorrow I'll have not played for two months. Every time I'm free on a Sunday with money to burn the weather has been shit with it pissing it down, but of course when I have to be somewhere / have orders from my wife it's dry and sunny!

I can't remember the start to 2023 being anywhere near as wet. Am I just a grumpy old man or is anyone else as pissed off?

Come on ya grumpy old git, get some foul weather kit & get out there, like the big boys do😜

download (54).jpg

I quite enjoy crawling throught the mud, takes me back to my TA days & lets face it... even if we get soaking wet or caked in mud it'll only be for a few hours and a hot shower awaits once we get home.

Was a soggy mess at High Wycombe on Sunday but unlike RIFT in Barton, it actually made some games better....hoping the camera lass caught some of my COD style slides for cover on film.

My lower legs and backside were in a right state by the end of the day.  At least I had the foresight to put a dust sheet in the car to protect the seats.

To be honest with the rain fall we have had airsoft won't be back to normal till late spring at the earliest. The ground conditions at so many sites is just so boggy and out right dangerous. I always choose to take a bit of time off when it's like this because firstly it's my weekend and I can't be bothered with all the mess. Secondly it makes gameplay too slow for me unless you have a death wish and lastly I don't want to break anything (me or my gear) 

2 minutes ago, JVacation said:

Secondly it makes gameplay too slow for me unless you have a death wish and lastly I don't want to break anything (me or my gear) 

I broke my leg due to it being very muddy after heavy rain. Its not fun.

I'm a fan of ponchos for wet weather, both on the hills and Airsoft, however good layering can let you get wet and stay warm.

37 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Both my local sites were cancelled the last two game days.  Both inaccessible and unsafe due to deadfall. 

As for bad weather kit, I like to use a tshirt and combats when I can.  I do often take a camping shower and a stove and kettle.  The drive home in clean gear and the smell of old Old Spice feels like luxury.  I'd prefer Hai Karate but its damn hard to find these days.  

Brut...splash it all over

20 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I'd prefer Hai Karate but its damn hard to find these days.

Yeah... like you don't have a bottle or two in a sock drawer from Xmas 1982

21 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Both my local sites were cancelled the last two game days.  Both inaccessible and unsafe due to deadfall. 

As for bad weather kit, I like to use a tshirt and combats when I can.  I do often take a camping shower and a stove and kettle.  The drive home in clean gear and the smell of old Old Spice feels like luxury.  I'd prefer Hai Karate but its damn hard to find these days.  

You aren't trying hard enough: https://www.directcosmetics.com/fragrances-c35/for-men-c38/aftershave-c39/hai-karate-m418

I do / did like a good game in foul weather.

A couple of memorable ones were:

1) Falklands themed game with authentic weather. Many players had gone home before lunchtime, parts of the safe zone were blowing away, I was soaked through and covered in mud but had multiple sets of clothes allowing me to change at the break and to change for the drive home with the prospects of soaking in a hot bath when home.

(this game also gave me the stories of my broadcasting expletives on box when poking my head into a window, and the husband of a colleague arriving home to find his wife laundering my stinking bin bag of playing clothes)

2) A snowy Christmas game where I thought that I was being clever with a set of thermals.

Lovely and toasty for the morning brief, sweaty mess for game one

I would typically be fine if I’m enjoying myself in the cold and wet - provided I can look forward to later and I’ve prepared.

My body dislikes the heat, and it’s easier to warm up then cool down 

But I do now have Raynaud’s phenomenon  (like Raynaud’s syndrome but I’m special) - this is also just in one finger tip!
Raynaud’s plus cold equals pain - so I now don’t like the cold and I don’t like the heat

A couple of weeks back I declined the option of a game - early Sunday morning on a miserable day in a standard woods site - a warm lie in won.

Improve one of the factors and I may have been up for it

I just saw these stats for rain over the last few years (for Surrey)

2019 – 780mm

2020 – 887mm

2021 – 982mm

2022 – 1156mm

2023 – 1642mm

Yeah, definitely no climate change going on here …

On 19/02/2024 at 23:10, Dan Robinson said:

Was a soggy mess at High Wycombe on Sunday but unlike RIFT in Barton, it actually made some games better....hoping the camera lass caught some of my COD style slides for cover on film.

My lower legs and backside were in a right state by the end of the day.  At least I had the foresight to put a dust sheet in the car to protect the seats.

I was there too, ghreat day and made more interesting with the trees being felled so changed the map entirely. We were both a muddy mess at the end of the day! 

Did you get any good photos? 

4 hours ago, Barny said:

I was there too, ghreat day and made more interesting with the trees being felled so changed the map entirely. We were both a muddy mess at the end of the day! 

Did you get any good photos? 

Sadly no....Best one was me emerging from the orange smoke after being sot in the head multiple times by those dudes with the red and blue flashy guns hiding in the windmill during the domination game at Market.  Thought one was over powered as he nearly took my eyepro off my nose in the afternoon but we had a laugh and a chat later and he swore he was only running .8J, so I put it down to him being a bloody good shot. 

The tree felling has made a massive difference there.  Playing area feels a lot flatter now.

Did you see the poor fucker stack it and break open his drum mag?  Lost and entire load of BBs the poor sod.

It was a good day, but stressful for me due to multiple battery issues and having to deal with international family shit over the lunch break.   Speaking of which.....they do have a great lunch there.  I officially claim that site to be my number 1 backup after Special Ops.  I'm too old to be dealing with crap facilities and post lunchtime munchies.

Edited by Dan Robinson

image.thumb.jpeg.34c2676a04307e5d799d30535c0ddc83.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/02/2024 at 23:00, Cannonfodder said:

To quote Sir Ranulph Fiennes

There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Sorry but anyone who spends the day outdoors in the winter time and doesn't plan for bad weather gets fuck all sympathy from me

That’s funny you quoting sir Ranulph Fiennes. You and outdoor persuits 😝

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Sneakyduck said:

It's pursuits, not persuits👎

8 minutes ago, Tackle said:

It's pursuits, not persuits👎

And it is Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

@Cannonfodder, it seems that you have a stalker.  Perhaps he fancies you.

1 hour ago, Colin Allen said:

And it is Sir Ranulph Fiennes.

@Cannonfodder, it seems that you have a stalker.  Perhaps he fancies you.

He's chased me down as well.  Wondering if I should feel flattered.  😄

4 hours ago, Sneakyduck said:

He's quoting Alfred Wainwright in A Coast to Coast Walk.  I expect that Fiennes is familiar with Wainwright!

10 hours ago, Sneakyduck said:

I was beginning to feel that you were outnumbered in that last thread that has now,thankfully,been locked.

I was impressed that you were holding your own,just,and trying to give answers for your site rules.

But now that I've seen you following forum members on to other threads and commenting on their posts in a sarcastic manner I have now formed the opinion that you are very much like a dog with a bone. You are not gonna leave it alone because you think you have been out through the ringer and so that entitles you to give some back. Petty.

Just do us all a favour and give it up and leave 👍

13 hours ago, Sneakyduck said:

Care to elaborate on your passive aggressive nonsense, or are you just going to post another out of focus photo?

Edited by Cannonfodder