Suggestion - Require approval on new threads for new users (i.e less than 10 posts)

Speedbird_666

They know they've f****d up.... Offering us cash bribes now! £$$£$$£

#WheresMyMoneyBrian

image.thumb.png.eacd0c375686eab7af61d960ae68a82e.png

6 minutes ago, hunter511 said:

Aaaand here we go again...... unless the forums using ads for dubai call girls as a revenue stream?

Two questions...

How much?

Do they do the Portsmouth area? 😉

One for me.

• Supporters

We knock em down as quick as we can, it's weird though, some join & in less than 15 minutes they've put up 15 threads, which I'm guessing is the limit. 

& then others join & do nothing for a few days, & eventually put up maybe half a dozen threads. 

Weird🤔

I've done 3-4 today I think, the latest a couple of mins ago.

14 minutes ago, hunter511 said:

Welp thats 3 new joiners threads I've reported today.

Spam mods don't get the reports.

If in doubt, tag one of us in the thread and we'll pick it up when we next log in (unfortunately we can't setup email notifications for mentions).

6 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I've done 3-4 today I think, the latest a couple of mins ago.

Spam mods don't get the reports.

If in doubt, tag one of us in the thread and we'll pick it up when we next log in (unfortunately we can't setup email notifications for mentions).

How do we tag you?

Keep it simple I'm old and still using a biro. ☹️

2 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

@ symbol + our username. Should auto-populate a list to select the user.

Wot??

Where do I enter that then?

Just now, Speedbird_666 said:

@Shamal Enter the @ symbol in the normal text bit, and start typing the username. A list should pop up with the applicable user names that you can click on.

image.png.e4c4db402f21926d04b81e9cc04fda67.png

Ok thanks.

Im using mobile though not pc

8 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

@Shamal works on my mobile... Might be time to upgrade that old Nokia... 😜

Screenshot_20240118-183034.thumb.png.0fa1519b2d2a576a8a154e2e3cab1688.png

Haha.

I like my 3210 lol

We just need to see one example post to know what they're up to these days.  It's all the same shite.

I'm banning several a week too. I'm generally reviewing the latest posts from whatever time I wake up to around 8am

(I'd be doing that even without the spammers, as I'm the lab rat that keeps pushing the button in the hope of a reward)

It's probably not gonna be helpful but when I ran our work FB page, anyone asking to join was automatically asked to answer a simple work related question, if they didn't or couldn't then they were blocked from joining.

Something as simple as this might prevent the spammers being able to join.

Newbies to the 'sport' might struggle too tho so it would need to be a very simple question regarding airsoft.

Hasn't the simple test question been suggested before?

Probably worth a try if it can be easily implemented.

I don't find the spam a huge problem as it gets cleaned quite quickly but of course prevention is better.

Question: Do you have to delete every post individually or are they all cleared when the user is banned?

Edited by EDcase

23 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Question: Do you have to delete every post individually or are they all cleared when the user is banned?

Ban the spammer, all the posts go too.  It's very easy, just a moments work.

You'd think a simple question would be fine to do the job.  I'm presuming the spam posts are coming from a bot that only knows what the 'registration' and 'post a thread' pages look like.  Any change to the registration page will break the automated script.  However, these days you can build or amend a fairly sophisticated app just from a chatgpt session (well CodePilot if you want to be specific), so any sort of simple challenge might get worked around.

I can't imagine the spammers are getting many hits from their posts here so hopefully they won't bother taking any further action if the bar is raised even a tiny little bit

Edited by RostokMcSpoons