Advice from anyone who has imported an Airsoft gun to the UK

Reaveth

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys and gals

I'm hoping someone can answer some of my questions with regards to their experience of importing an Airsoft gun into the UK. Specifically how long it took to clear customs and some of the documentation involved....

I recently purchased a rif I have been searching for for years and managed to persuade the company I bought it from to ship it to the UK, the item has arrived in the UK three days ago and the courier got in contact with some forms required to facilitate the processing of the item on the first day and since then the package has been stuck in a warehouse being scanned on a daily basis.

The first item of paperwork I was asked to fill in was the RIF declaration (not an issue as I have my UKARA and I'm quite abit older than the required age to purchase a RIF) the issue is the 2nd set of paperwork seemed to be Tax/Business related....?

I did arrange for the RIF to be shipped to a business address where I work (which is also an Airsoft shop/Wholesaler) so I'm wondering if this is possibly part of the problem (As my UKARA is registered to my home address).

Any knowledge any of you have would be well received regarding the import process 

I would imagine the tax bit relates to the fact they are going to ask you to pay duty and vat on it. Unless the retailer is registered to collect UK taxes on behalf of HMRC 

The fact the adress differs from your UKARA might not help either tbh, especially as it's a business address .

Do the courier have a contact number you can phone ?

Your UKARA has to match the address its being shipped to. As its not and its going to a business address you will need to fill out the form and hope for the best.

I've said this on a couple of other threads recently, so apologies for repeating. 

Last month I bought a RIF from WGC Shop in Hong Kong. From point of order to delivery was less than two weeks and there wasn't any additional duty or fees to pay. My UKARA was printed on the outside of the box and the package hadn't been opened for inspection. 

However, a few years ago, I bought a RIF from Swit Airsoft that took around three weeks to deliver after receiving a £90+ charge from HMRC. 

I suspect that the mismatch between UKARA address and delivery address is part of the issue, as I know UK retailers won't deliver if the addresses don't match. 

** @Asomodainailed it 👆

Edited by C-Diddy

11 hours ago, Reaveth said:

Hi guys and gals

I'm hoping someone can answer some of my questions with regards to their experience of importing an Airsoft gun into the UK. Specifically how long it took to clear customs and some of the documentation involved....

I recently purchased a rif I have been searching for for years and managed to persuade the company I bought it from to ship it to the UK, the item has arrived in the UK three days ago and the courier got in contact with some forms required to facilitate the processing of the item on the first day and since then the package has been stuck in a warehouse being scanned on a daily basis.

The first item of paperwork I was asked to fill in was the RIF declaration (not an issue as I have my UKARA and I'm quite abit older than the required age to purchase a RIF) the issue is the 2nd set of paperwork seemed to be Tax/Business related....?

I did arrange for the RIF to be shipped to a business address where I work (which is also an Airsoft shop/Wholesaler) so I'm wondering if this is possibly part of the problem (As my UKARA is registered to my home address).

Any knowledge any of you have would be well received regarding the import process 

3 days isn’t long

I had an import recently which didn’t need any declarations, just charges

It took 8 days for charges to be assessed.  Then it waited for verification another 4 days for the charges to be confirmed and released to the regional depot

I was monitoring the tracking daily and periodically calling the helpline for updates on the unlisted stages, and I went to the regional depot to pay & collect - my card telling me I needed to pay charges didn’t arrive until I was back home after the weekend 

It was held for 14 days to process the calculation of charges, and this had a well documented customs declaration on the package

IMG_2015.thumb.png.0620b8f17d9cebd027f8a7a4df34596b.png

Thanks for all the responses guys.

@Nick G UPS has already sent me the amount owed for import duties £200+ but I expect this will be higher as they charge £13 a day by the time it finally gets processed. I think you're right with regards to the address and UKARA not matching potentially being part of the problem. My thinking at the time was if it was sent to my work address (That imports 100s of Airsoft RIFs and parts every month) it would be less of an issue and also with the item being a RIF not left outside at home or at a collection point whilst I was at work, a more responsible decision. I have contacted the courier but as of yet had little help from them, will try again on Monday.

@Pseudotectonic Attached is the form I was sent along with a RIF declaration (which was easy enough to fill in). 

@Asomodai @C-Diddy fingers crossed then otherwise this will have been a very expensive lesson. I did ask the sender to include in the package my home address (image from an invoice from my place of work) alongside my UKARA and image of my Passport but they would have to open it to get that I guess.

@Tommikka well hopefully they are just busy and just haven't gotten round to sorting it but I believe as pointed out the UKARA address mismatch is probably the problem. I'm just stressing abit as it was quite an expensive purchase and worried it will get destroyed.

Thanks for all your help everyone, hopefully I can get it resolved this week coming.

Screenshot_20230924-103228.png

• Supporters

Am I the only one gagging to know what this rare & obviously expensive new toy is ???????

Maybe you are gagging cause ya false chompers are moving about 😂😂😉

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Maybe you are gagging cause ya false chompers are moving about 😂😂😉

Pot - Kettle 🖕😜🤣

14 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Pot - Kettle 🖕😜🤣

Touche.

I see you have played this game before 😂

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.