Compact M4 Options

Beorn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey folks, looking for some recommendations and opinions if possible!

I've just applied for my UKARA finally and hope to get it soon. While I have a perfectly good rif that I got on the classified's here (VFC Avalon Saber Carbine) which has honestly worked flawlessly across 4 or 5 skirmish days so far, I'm thinking of selling it on and getting something new, potentially brand new in box.

I got the VFC because I heard they had decent out of the box performance and as a noob that sounded good to me. My one and only grip with it so far is that its on the longer side, coming in at 81cm with the stock fully collapsed and no suppressor. So far I've tended to play at fairly short ranged sites and from what I've read barrel length really has very little effect on range anyway. But most of all I would like a smaller, more compact RIF so that its easier to transport as I primarily use public transport to get to game days. At the moment I manage by putting all my kit, including the rif, into a very large holdall that has wheels (sort of like a hockey kit bag) but tbh its a stinker getting around like that sometimes.

I've cast an eye around for some options with comparable performance, but a much more compact size, that I can swap to.

Some of the options I've found are:

Honey badger - https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/product/ares-am-014-bk-short-honey-badger-with-extended-silencer-black/

Specna Arms Edge 2.0 M4 - https://jdairsoft.net/primary/assault/108/specna-arms-raa-sa-e25-edge-2-0-carbine1

I've looked at SMG's but to be honest I don't think I'm interested unless someone has a very strong recommendation. I already have M4 mags though and don't really wanna go buying a shitload of new mags or anything for a new SMG.

Has anyone used either of those rifs linked above? If so how have they performed? Any other good recommendations I've missed would also be welcome!

Thanks!

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Beorn said:

I already have M4 mags though and don't really wanna go buying a shitload of new mags or anything for a new SMG.

Call yourself an airsofter? Where's your sense of adventure? 😁

That said, I've not used either of those specific guns but generally the Ares seems to be the one gun they make that people don't absolutely hate working on. The Specna should be fine too (I have an older SA-A03).

As others have said if you want a REALLY short thing then have a look at the Firehawk/ARP etc from G&G but it all depends on what your budget is.

Personally I'd go for a MK18 style but that's just my passionate hatred for anything with a 2" barrel (other than the MP5k of course). The other option to make transport easier would be to split the upper and lower for transport which will immediately make the whole thing shorter and easier to carry.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Call yourself an airsofter? Where's your sense of adventure? 😁

As others have said if you want a REALLY short thing then have a look at the Firehawk/ARP etc from G&G but it all depends on what your budget is.

Personally I'd go for a MK18 style but that's just my passionate hatred for anything with a 2" barrel (other than the MP5k of course). The other option to make transport easier would be to split the upper and lower for transport which will immediately make the whole thing shorter and easier to carry.

Haha I don't have enough room in my flat otherwise I'd be tempted to hoard!

I do prefer a MK18 style carbine sort of length I think, I can see the merit of one of those stubby bois but I don't think I even want to go that short really. I do really like the look of the TM 416C, but I don't think I can be arsed as I've heard the battery setup for those can be annoying and I don't really want to fuck around swapping it to deans and all that jazz.

EDIT: Good point on the breaking it down thing, I honestly never even thought of the possibility but that could work. Probably still find some way to cock it up though knowing me I am not the most practical lol

Edited by Beorn

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Beorn said:

Haha I don't have enough room in my flat otherwise I'd be tempted to hoard!

You don't need that much space, just be creative!

image.thumb.jpeg.d3fc99276a40c9cd40f9ed55093fb331.jpeg

As MK18s go, these are pretty decent: https://jdairsoft.net/primary/assault/0/daniel-defense-mk18-sa-e19-edge-carbine-chaos-bronze

My neighbour has one and it's performing quite nicely.

10 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

What's your budget? Without this information you could easily end up with a list of recommendations that aren't appropriate 

I think ideally around the 3 to 400 or so mark, 450 as a stretch potentially. I'd like something with good out of the box performance as I'm not confident with any aspect of teching. Decent externals are a plus. Trouble is its hard to gauge value as a relative noob at the moment because the naming scheme for most rifs is quite confusing imo, and if you don't know much about airsoft internals trying to separate the wheat from the chaff is also quite difficult. I do look at reviews and stuff (ollie talks airsoft) etc for info where I can though

12 minutes ago, Beorn said:

I think ideally around the 3 to 400 or so mark, 450 as a stretch potentially. I'd like something with good out of the box performance as I'm not confident with any aspect of teching. Decent externals are a plus. Trouble is its hard to gauge value as a relative noob at the moment because the naming scheme for most rifs is quite confusing imo, and if you don't know much about airsoft internals trying to separate the wheat from the chaff is also quite difficult. I do look at reviews and stuff (ollie talks airsoft) etc for info where I can though

i would take a look at the cz scorpions, foldable stock, quick change spring and everyone praises it as the best out of the box. beautiful gun too, definetely catch a few eyes with it.

edit: sa edge 2s are a safe pick

Edited by Haru

• Supporters

I'd give the break-down a try, it really is a routine operation that can be done in seconds. Just undo the screw at the front of the receiver, push out the pin, and the top and bottom will separate.  The tricky bit is not losing the pin, but you can put it back in the lower receiver.

It's this easy.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

@Beorn You can certainly get a good performer for under £300.

Keep in mind that tweaking can improve or ruin performance.  Best to wait until you have a backup before tinkering.  Its not an exact science

I'd suggest to find something that you like the look of and then search reviews followed by asking the forum for opinions.  Remember that there can be variation in performance from different copies of the same model so take reviews with a pinch of salt unless there is a definite design flaw found.  In theory the more expensive models should be more consistent between copies but up to a point.

The performance of our airsoft toys is not linearly proportional to the price so don't let the cost influence you too much.

The Honey Badger and Specna Arms Edge have good reputations so they both would be good options.

Yeah it seems so, I'd be willing to stretch to 450 for something special. But maybe I should save for a while longer and run the current gun into the ground then level up and look at an MWS or something. I do have GBBR aspirations at some point haha

Good to hear both those options have decent reputations, although after looking at some reviews I see what you mean about inconsistency. Some say the external finish of the specna isn't great which I think would bother me quite a bit since the VFC really is lovely externally and is performing very solidly also. My only complaint with it is its weighty and a bit long (thats what she said)

May simply do as others have suggested here for now and break my existing rifle down when traveling to save space. Maybe wait and see if anything interesting comes out over the next few months or something.

1 hour ago, gavinkempsell said:

ideal for holding your kit

373535031_9914686238573355_4596050311250481384_n.jpg

One day I'll get something like that sorted but in our shoebox apartment I think my landlord would have something to say, let alone the gf!

6 minutes ago, Beorn said:

One day I'll get something like that sorted but in our shoebox apartment I think my landlord would have something to say, let alone the gf!

Oh, MAN... this is nothing.

Lucky enough to not have to worry about a landlord, wife or partner either, I can drill holes wherever I want lol.

20 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

How short is short?  Have a look at M4 pistol builds.

I'm still carrying the hit marks from an HPA M4 pistol build that got me on Sunday

Don't do that 😋😂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.