VFC M3 Carl Gustaf

rj1986

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think there is a BB firing Chieftain tank on the way next. Lol

• Supporters

If you can fire a TAG round out of it I want one , if not ? They can shove it up their Taiwanese poop shoots ! 😳

5 hours ago, Shamal said:

I think there is a BB firing Chieftain tank on the way next. Lol

Will a ping pong firing F432 do instead ?

https://youtu.be/f7ga8Du2hv8

https://youtu.be/hk8jsxdgAXo

This would be a nice ‘upgrade’ to our Battle Royale tennis ball guns, however I’m not so sure about the velocity and suitability for a CQB kill house of this Carl Gustav version 

Now I have seen the video, I want one, just to go with the rest of my gear. But I know I would be regretting carrying that around.

Kinetic energy > 2.5 joules so an illegal firearm
Also not designed to fire small plastic missiles so again not an airsoft exemption and a firearm,  we are allowed 8mm max I believe
Never could work out how Tag rounds are legal airsoft 

Tennis ball weighs between 56.0g and 59.4g so would need to fire at the lowly rate of  6.68 ms-1   or 22 fps to be energy legal

Assuming 100 fps from green gas that would give you a 52 joules hit!!!!!   ouch

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
2 hours ago, MadMole said:

Never could work out how Tag rounds are legal airsoft

As I understand it, it's because those energy ratings only apply to a very specific style of "missile" - bbs 8mm or smaller in diameter.

a barrelled weapon of any description which is designed to
discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any
other kind of missile)”, and “is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic
energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level

^ Definition of an Airsoft firearm

(a) is made wholly or partly from plastics,
(b) is spherical, and
(c) does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter

^ definition of a "small plastic missile"

So, with that in mind TAG rounds (nor the rounds being used in this Carl Gustav) are subject to energy limits under UK law.

What's left is the guidance on rocket launchers, or mortars:

any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus;]

IMO TAG launchers are excluded considering they're designed for pyrotechnic purposes. And with regard to "IMO" - that's all that counts until some poor sod has to defend it in court, at which precedent becomes a whole lot more important

In which case they are lethal barreled weapons under the definition of The Firearms Act 1968

Section 57(1B) defines a "lethal barrelled weapon" as a "barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule as measured at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged". Section 57(1C) excludes from the definition of a "lethal barrelled weapon" any weapon meeting the definition of "airsoft gun" under section 57A.

So tag and the above tennis ball thrower are all "lethal barreled weapons", the only possible get out clause is 
(ae) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus;]
But tags and this launcher are NOT stabilised and so the exception for pyrotechnic's can't apply

As above the 2.5 joule limit and 8mm plastic applies to airsoft in a specific definition 

Exceeding that does put things back under firearms legislation, but doesn’t necessarily make something illegal - it could be a low powered air weapon etc

Paintball of course exceeds 2.5 joules but fire frangible projectiles.  If you fire paintballs or first strikes, within approx 300 and something fps then paintball isn’t exceeding acceptable lethality and is legal

(First strikes are a shaped projectiles with a half sphere paintball and were subject to approved testing arranged by an importer)

Tag rounds have gone through a few hoops and may or may not be legal, but there have also been other safety concerns (particularly with YouTubers abusing them) and are often likely to be disallowed by sites / organisers or restricted to particular use such as event effects 

Tennis ball guns can be perfectly legal - but tend to be aimed at the dog owner market with weak springs.

(You won’t want one into your eye from a couple of feet away)

But we’ve happily used them in a CQB environment for what was supposed to be a comedy weapon but proved to be a players favourite 

From the video it’s far from dog ball launcher territory!

But 40mm launchers have been around a long time, and I’ve had a couple through customs post VCRA (one right in the early days and I managed to justify an import without UKARA based on my declaration)

40mm could still be grey area territory, and they can be used for numerous shell types from BB, paintball and depending on the shell as a booster to tags or nerf rockets etc 

Having found the price of the Carl Gustav, I won’t be finding out if they pass muster

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
55 minutes ago, MadMole said:

In which case they are lethal barreled weapons under the definition of The Firearms Act 1968

Section 57(1B) defines a "lethal barrelled weapon" as a "barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule as measured at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged". Section 57(1C) excludes from the definition of a "lethal barrelled weapon" any weapon meeting the definition of "airsoft gun" under section 57A.

So tag and the above tennis ball thrower are all "lethal barreled weapons", the only possible get out clause is 
(ae) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus;]
But tags and this launcher are NOT stabilised and so the exception for pyrotechnic's can't apply

TAGs are stabilised. Inadequately? Perhaps, but rifling is rifling and it has a decent effect on them. I feel like it would stand up in court.

• Supporters

This again.

image.png.c7a1c2ae430121f1bb27329b98267761.png

Spud guns are likely "lethal barrelled firearms" for UK legal purposes.  You'd be in more danger from one of them, or receiving serve on a tennis court than from this.

Except.

Anything that could knock off or displace eyepro can get sodded off, as far as I'm concerned.  I include tag rounds in that, we've seen how they can mess folk up.

16 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

This again.

image.png.c7a1c2ae430121f1bb27329b98267761.png

Spud guns are likely "lethal barrelled firearms" for UK legal purposes.  You'd be in more danger from one of them, or receiving serve on a tennis court than from this.

Except.

Anything that could knock off or displace eyepro can get sodded off, as far as I'm concerned.  I include tag rounds in that, we've seen how they can mess folk up.

We tried out one of the multi person catapaults intending to use it to launch across a valley ….. the first test shot (or at least the first one to hit the target) knocked the goggles flying - frame in one direction, lens in another, prop head flying off

This sort of thing 

• 5 months later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.