Vague and annoying question about DMR

sonofsammo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know I've been away from here for a while. Been busy playing with real pewpews.
But am thinking of getting back to playing and my SRS just isn't calling to me as it did. I stopped playing because I was getting seriously frustrated by working my balls off for a shot, only to have the fucker refuse to call a hit.
So I want distance AND follow up shots. LOTS of them. Hence thinking about a DMR.
I think that's all I'm bothered about. I'm platform agnostic. I just want something to kill lots of people from as far away as possible, whilst not spending a tonne of cash.

So..... where do I start?
I'm shit with electrics, better with gas guns. I'm comfortable with changing hop units / barrels etc. 

But I'm open to either.

For simplicity I was wondering about a TM M14, but have no idea what real life range that has out of the box.

Relevant help and advice most welcome. ( I realise that might not be enough information for responses, if I've missed anything, give me a nudge)

TIA 😄 

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I know I've been away from here for a while. Been busy playing with real pewpews.
But am thinking of getting back to playing and my SRS just isn't calling to me as it did. I stopped playing because I was getting seriously frustrated by working my balls off for a shot, only to have the fucker refuse to call a hit.
So I want distance AND follow up shots. LOTS of them. Hence thinking about a DMR.
I think that's all I'm bothered about. I'm platform agnostic. I just want something to kill lots of people from as far away as possible, whilst not spending a tonne of cash.

So..... where do I start?
I'm shit with electrics, better with gas guns. I'm comfortable with changing hop units / barrels etc. 

But I'm open to either.

For simplicity I was wondering about a TM M14, but have no idea what real life range that has out of the box.

Relevant help and advice most welcome. ( I realise that might not be enough information for responses, if I've missed anything, give me a nudge)

TIA 😄 

Before I'd got to your mention of an m14 I was ready to suggest one, doesn't even need to be a tm, I've had tm previously, but currently running a cyma socom m14, & to be honest it's brilliant, mines stock running at around 340fps, range & accuracy is spot on, I can't fault it & a lot cheaper than my previous tm.

Definitely consider a cyma m14👍

Airsoft sniper forum has some great guides on the specifics of building a DMR. The key is consistency, so gas isn't a great choice. HPA is a good pick if you really don't want to go aeg, but it's expensive. For platforms, some sites want you to have a real world full power cartridge firing weapon, some don't mind, some just want a fixed stock, check your local sites. Personally I'm using a nuprol ak21 with a UKSR stock, which has pretty solid externals so ripe for a DMR build, but it's based on an intermediate cartridge platform. 

For power, it ranges drastically at different sites, check your local, it may not even be worth running dmr power. In which case may I suggest the precision assault rifle? Essentially the concept of a DMR at <1.14j, set to hop the heaviest bb you can as accurately as you can. I'll mention @Impulse to preach about this further :)

If you want to go gas, generally the best suggestion is a TM mws with the brass nub, npas and modified trigger. For AEG you're not going to see much difference in top performance so just go for something that you like. I'm building mine from a VFC SCAR H

IMG_20220212_220446.jpg

• Supporters

Your local sites might have their own rules, I'd check with them what they think a "DMR" is, and whether they know that the Mk 12 is an actual thing.

Precocking, meh, 100 milliseconds might make a difference, but so might Eddies in the space-time continuum.

I reckon the default option is a CYMA CM.098 AR10/SR25 toy. I'd be looking for reasons not to start from there.

Order a standard CYMA M14.  They shoot at 400fps as out of the box.     

Change the hop rubber and add a simple mosfet, fit an optic and you're done.  

If your local site is 425 or 450fps an AR type platform may be easier to work on pissing about with different springs etc. 

1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

If you want to go gas, generally the best suggestion is a TM mws with the brass nub, npas and modified trigger. For AEG you're not going to see much difference in top performance so just go for something that you like. I'm building mine from a VFC SCAR H

IMG_20220212_220446.jpg

I used to have an MWS, with orga barrel, brass nub and npas running on hpa with a custom drum mag (thanks to the insane genius of @rocketdogbert) It was nothing short of epic.
But it cost me over a grand, which I can't afford again, sadly. 

• Supporters
On 12/03/2022 at 17:57, sonofsammo said:

Being somewhat of an M14 fanboy I would say that the TM is great out of the box (but as is typical for TM, low on power). I have three Cyma M14s all of which have been spectacular out of the box in terms of range. They're not always hot FPS wise out of the box but certainly usable. A better barrel and hop rubber will almost certainly see your FPS go up and a new motor won't hurt as the standard Cyma one is a bit rubbish. If you go for the full length one it is REALLY long, if you go for the EBR it's REALLY front heavy. The Socom sits in the Goldilocks zone of having a long enough barrel but without all that tedious apologising for taking people's eyes out when you turn round.

I also have an E&C based MK12 which is a LOT easier to work on (QC spring, it's basically an M4 etc) but I do gravitate towards the M14s. Must be the masochist in me.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

if you go for the EBR it's REALLY front heavy

Heh, I was just watching Negative's EBR build and thinking "I bet that gets propped on a tree branch and not moved during each game".

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Heh, I was just watching Negative's EBR build and thinking "I bet that gets propped on a tree branch and not moved during each game".

It is bit of a beast. Must get around to weighing it in full trim...

I have sent off my G&G 308 MBR to negative Airsoft to make that a DMR so will let you know how that goes once it's done. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.